Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Why Miss You in every setlist?
Date: October 14, 2013 14:48

Lady Jane made it briefly in, though, and it was brilliant!

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: October 14, 2013 16:18

"Miss You" also is used to let Daryl or Bobby Keys play their solos.

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: October 14, 2013 18:01

Sorry....last # 1. I thought Start Me Up was # 1 in the states. my bad.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 14, 2013 18:18

6s7s9s
"Miss You" also is used to let Daryl or Bobby Keys play their solos.

Quite badly.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 14, 2013 19:15

Even in my career of "coverbandist" MY is probably one of the songs I've played more. It's simple in structure, it has a hook that is infectious, and it has a great party vibe. All qualities that make it a winner.

That said, MY is not a safe choice. The "human factor" is essential: this definitely is NOT one of those songs that work well even with the band on autopilot. No, way - with Miss You, the band has to work HARD. "Hard" as James Brown would intend. Its absolutely a physical song. If the band doesn't work hard, the song drags. Simple as that.

To make things even more complicated, even if the band works hard, it's not enough. You have to get that sexy feel, that groove, that "lightness". To make an example, even these days, with Darryl and Mick Jagger (and CL) and Charlie ALWAYS granting a high standard performance, sometimes MY works, others it doesn't.

C

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 14, 2013 19:21

Rockman
best opportunity for the piss break ...

BE A MAN and go during Jumpin' Jack Flash ....

JJF is either the first track or one of the last: In the former case there is no need for a piss break, in the latter case it is too late ...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 14, 2013 19:27

slew
I think SMU was #1 in England - We Americans tend to forget there are other countries out there.

Last no.1 in England was Honky Tonk Women......

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 14, 2013 19:52

Only actually got to #7 in the UK. Their last top ten single here.

Miss You reached #3 in the UK. The only UK top three single the Stones have had since 'Brown Sugar'.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: October 15, 2013 16:43

Gazza

Miss You reached #3 in the UK. The only UK top three single the Stones have had since 'Brown Sugar'.

Still Miss You is one of the Stones' weakest songs ever.

Date: October 15, 2013 16:46

No, it isn't. Only a very few fans think that smiling smiley

It remains one of the most popular songs among the fans at the concerts.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 15, 2013 17:55

I've heard is so many times, that I hardly play it. I guess like most of the warhorses.

However, in concert, it always seems to get the crowd going. Which is always cool!!!

When I first met my gf, Miss You was the only Stones song that she knew most of the lyrics to. So when they play it, she gets excited. Nothing like my baby dancing and smiling.

Date: October 15, 2013 18:03

Some songs just have that effect on (almost) everybody thumbs up

Date: October 15, 2013 18:34

liddas
To make things even more complicated, even if the band works hard, it's not enough. You have to get that sexy feel, that groove, that "lightness". To make an example, even these days, with Darryl and Mick Jagger (and CL) and Charlie ALWAYS granting a high standard performance, sometimes MY works, others it doesn't.
C

If you watch the Some Girls Live In Texas DVD, or Hampton '81, Bill absolutely makes this song funky. His bass lines, and the execution of them, are essential to the success of playing Miss You the proper way. Otherwise it turns into more of a rock song and loses its special quality. The Stones can produce a good enough version for the fans to sing along with the better known parts, but it's not top rate. Darryl can noodle a solor all he wants, but as I stated before, Miss You without Bill Wyman is like Jumping Jack Flash without Keith Richards.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: October 15, 2013 21:01

DandelionPowderman

Popular is not a valid criterion for quality.
I think this time His M. will agree with me, along with some very few other fans. The ones with musical taste.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 16, 2013 01:42

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I think this time His M. will agree with me, along with some very few other fans. The ones with musical taste.

kleerly you jest. Miss You is a great tune, just horribly overplayed.

They happened to do a fantastic job of it this time, and believe me it was low on my priority list.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 16, 2013 03:09

Simple:
It was the last number 1 in the US, and it's he last truly iconic Stones song...
It is as much a warhorse as JJF.
And it's a masterpiece of funk and soul. This song defined the Stones for a new generation of fans in an era where most of their peers were old hat.

Date: October 16, 2013 03:19

stupidguy2
Simple:
It was the last number 1 in the US, and it's he last truly iconic Stones song...
And it's a masterpiece of funk and soul. This song defined the Stones for a new generation of fans in an era where most of their peers were old hat.

So is it that you're saying Start Me Up isn't an iconic Stones song?

That would be a head scratcher.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 16, 2013 03:33

kleermaker
Gazza

Its not. The studio version is a @#$%& masterpiece. Bill Wyman's finest 9 minutes IMO.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 16, 2013 15:12

24FPS
liddas
C

If you watch the Some Girls Live In Texas DVD, or Hampton '81, Bill absolutely makes this song funky. His bass lines, and the execution of them, are essential to the success of playing Miss You the proper way. Otherwise it turns into more of a rock song and loses its special quality. The Stones can produce a good enough version for the fans to sing along with the better known parts, but it's not top rate. Darryl can noodle a solor all he wants, but as I stated before, Miss You without Bill Wyman is like Jumping Jack Flash without Keith Richards.

I have most of the available boots of those two tours, and agree that MY was something else back then (with exceptions).

On the other hand I am sure that with Bill in the band in year 2013, MY wouldn't be much different from the HP version.

With regard to DJ, his 2013 MYs were just perfect. I mean PERFECT.

C

Posted by: JuicedinNJ ()
Date: October 16, 2013 15:19

The last show I saw in Giant's Stadium before the 50 and Counting shows in Newark featured Under My Thumb instead of Miss You. I thought it was a nice departure but I almost peed in my pants waiting for TD.

Date: October 16, 2013 15:46

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Some people are tired of getting Brown Sugar as well. Yet, it remains one of the most popular songs for THE MAJORITY of the fans who are ATTENDING the shows.

That doesn't mean it's a poor song.

Miss You is not a poor song no matter what you think. It's perfectly ok not to like it - or thinking that the musical style isn't up your alley, but it remains a popular breakthrough single for the Stones - a song that almost all Stones fans love on SG.

People who are attending unhealthily many shows may want it replaced in the setlist now and again, though (and I'm with them).

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: October 16, 2013 17:41

RobertJohnson
The best opportunity for the piss break ...

That's what I always did over the years and/or went for a beer.
This crap song is quite long, so you are back in time for the next tune.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 16, 2013 17:46

Ok its a good song, great at the time, but definitely a piss/beer break nowadays for some or most of us.
Personally I dislike it alot..especially since the Stones are great when its rock/blues....im surprised alot here like it.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 16, 2013 17:58

kleermaker
Gazza

Why would you stat this as a fact? Obviously a ton of people disagree with you and its one of their biggest hits ever..

Its the song that got me into the Stones. While I agree that its overplayed and could do without ever hearing it again, I like many others sure don't think its a weak song.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 16, 2013 19:05

because mick jagger likes to sing it

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 17, 2013 00:08

treaclefingers
stupidguy2
Simple:

So is it that you're saying Start Me Up isn't an iconic Stones song?

That would be a head scratcher.

I thought twice about that statement right after writing it...
But yes, in a way. SMU was huge, but to me, it was a great rock and roll song that appealed to rock and roll fans, the rock genre..

Miss You was epic across the board. It was the last song that had a real cultural impact....it was more of a zeitgeist moment...and a resurgence for the Stones. I wasn't even a Stones fan yet... but that summer was all about that groove, that 'ooh ooh-ooh..'
By the time SMU came out, I was a fan, and I remember the Stones were already considered old by younger rock fans. Whereas, Miss You came out when the Stones were still bad-ass, still 'bad boys'.

Posted by: landis ()
Date: October 17, 2013 02:06

Why wouldn't The Stones put that in their set list? What a great fusion of rock and disco. Also it's one of their most played songs.

Date: October 17, 2013 03:08

We obviously have a split here of fans who were participating at Comiskey Park and those who were home looking on in horror.

A Missed Opportunity for Plundered My Soul
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 17, 2013 02:14

Stones played a great setlist at Boston 2. However, instead of MY or YCAGWYW - Plundered My Soul would have been a great alternative; especially in the last 3 or 4 songs of concert.

Re: A Missed Opportunity for Plundered My Soul
Date: October 17, 2013 02:15

Yeah, they didn't play ANYTHING off of either of the deluxe releases, Exile and Some Girls.

Too bad...I wasn't expecting it but it would have been a nice surprise.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1691
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home