Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: A Missed Opportunity for Plundered My Soul
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 17, 2013 03:05

Please stop expecting anything novel, deep, or anything but tired warhorses and not so rarities until further notice. They simply don't care about us hardcore fans when it comes to their real money, playing live. Obviously Mick doesn't think about their own music the way we do. And no one else in the group has any power to determine what gets played. What goes is whatever is the easiest thing for Mick to sing. Period.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 17, 2013 03:10

24FPS
Please stop expecting anything novel, deep, or anything but tired warhorses and not so rarities until further notice. They simply don't care about us hardcore fans when it comes to their real money, playing live. Obviously Mick doesn't think about their own music the way we do. And no one else in the group has any power to determine what gets played. What goes is whatever is the easiest thing for Mick to sing. Period.

I think if it were up to him actually, he would have preferred to have a go with Superheavy, but as that didn't do all that well and we were nigh on the 50th, all bets were off.

RS's really isn't his muse anymore and Keith has no muse anymore.

What we can count on is MJ's professionalism...if he's going to do it, he's going to do a good job of it, and he's going to make some money while he's at it.

Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: October 17, 2013 03:39

24FPS

Agree, although at the LA gig with Mick Taylor they did a few Taylor era tunes and it was magic. Although I have to admit the majority of the crowd wanted the warhorses. Where I think they fail, us, the hardcores is that they hardly do anything club gigs and, when they do, they don't do anything too different. It's not all Mick though. I don't think Keith cares that much either.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 17, 2013 03:45

I was hoping for Tallahassee Lassie

Date: October 17, 2013 03:54

The Wick
24FPS

Agree, although at the LA gig with Mick Taylor they did a few Taylor era tunes and it was magic. Although I have to admit the majority of the crowd wanted the warhorses. Where I think they fail, us, the hardcores is that they hardly do anything club gigs and, when they do, they don't do anything too different. It's not all Mick though. I don't think Keith cares that much either.

I think Keith is just trying to hang on when it comes to the Stones. He's having a really hard time getting to the level pre-head injury. He may not be able to ever knock off that rust. Who knows why they let Mick Taylor play more at the 2nd L.A. gig, and then never let him do that much again. All indications are that the 2nd L.A. gig was among the best of the tour. Mick J constantly confounds us with his logic. Unless he's trying to deal with a tough situation behind the scenes we're not allowed to know about.

And maybe the sad truth is that they're done with trying to push the Stones legacy any further. Although they're not above one last dash for cash around the globe playing oldies.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: October 17, 2013 05:14

I agree 24. That and whats easiest for the rest of the band to play. Lets face it, at their ages the Stones have nothing left to prove. Keith knows by now he'll never play like Eric Clapton or Mick Taylor. And Mick will never be a truely good singer. So what? They've made their names and more mportantly money on other skills such as great media minipulation and hype. And an unbelievable first two decades of music no one else managed to best except maybe the Beatles in their lifetime?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 17, 2013 05:37

treaclefingers
Yeah, they didn't play ANYTHING off of either of the deluxe releases, Exile and Some Girls.

It would also be nice if they threw a bone to us bootleg CD fans and did a special set of backing tracks and outtakes, including false starts and re-takes.

They could create a special C-stage in the rafters, so that bootleggers can get a nice close up video and sound recording.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 17, 2013 05:54

While I love PMS, and most of the Some Girls Deluxe. It is very clear that those were Mick's projects. Someone earlier remarked they didn't like PMS because it was fake stones. In a sense it kind of is. With all the publicity around the release of these tracks, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie (for the Some Girls stuff) didn't have much to anything to say, which fed the perception that perhaps they didn't have anything to do with the releases. Which could also explain why they didn't do any of the material live. Such a shame that at least Keith wasn't involved more. I mean, why the hell couldn't he have at least sang the backing on PMS instead of Mick's double duty.

Date: October 17, 2013 05:58

rob51
I agree 24. That and whats easiest for the rest of the band to play. Lets face it, at their ages the Stones have nothing left to prove. Keith knows by now he'll never play like Eric Clapton or Mick Taylor. And Mick will never be a truely good singer. So what? They've made their names and more mportantly money on other skills such as great media minipulation and hype. And an unbelievable first two decades of music no one else managed to best except maybe the Beatles in their lifetime?

Keith knows by this age he'll never be Keith Richards again. I don't know what it would mean for Mick to be a truly good singer. He's done a hell of a job singing Rolling Stones songs which is pretty much the job description. He'll never be Tony Bennett, but I rarely listen to Tony Bennett. And yes, the first 20 years were incredible, and they've been pretty much coasting off of them ever since. They probably laugh at Bill. "You could have been so rich, doing so little."

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: October 17, 2013 06:51

24FPS
As much as The Rolling Stones are a legendary band, it is exactly this philosophy adapted by them that makes them rather lame. Mickscarey likes to criticize The Beatles as being "safe", well, The Stones play it "safe" when it comes to their concerts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-17 06:52 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 17, 2013 07:33

I would love to hear how Plundered My Soul would sound on a live concert, but I'm not sure if it would be as good as the studio version, like One More Shot.

Date: October 17, 2013 08:00

Cristiano Radtke
I would love to hear how Plundered My Soul would sound on a live concert, but I'm not sure if it would be as good as the studio version, like One More Shot.

The best thing about PMS musically is Bill's bass. That what immediately struck me the first time I heard it. The rubbery bass encircles the music. That sure as hell ain't ever going to be heard live again with the Stones.

Date: October 17, 2013 13:52

treaclefingers
Yeah, they didn't play ANYTHING off of either of the deluxe releases, Exile and Some Girls.

Too bad...I wasn't expecting it but it would have been a nice surprise.

At least they played something from the Charlie Is My Darling deluxe...

Date: October 17, 2013 16:57

whitem8
While I love PMS, and most of the Some Girls Deluxe. It is very clear that those were Mick's projects. Someone earlier remarked they didn't like PMS because it was fake stones. In a sense it kind of is. With all the publicity around the release of these tracks, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie (for the Some Girls stuff) didn't have much to anything to say, which fed the perception that perhaps they didn't have anything to do with the releases. Which could also explain why they didn't do any of the material live. Such a shame that at least Keith wasn't involved more. I mean, why the hell couldn't he have at least sang the backing on PMS instead of Mick's double duty.

Wasn't that around the time Keith's book came out? I don't believe they were on particularly good terms then, so I always though Mick just froze Keith out of the process. Keith even denied Taylor was brought in for guitar, didn't he?

He didn't have a clue.

Re: The setlist
Date: October 17, 2013 17:02

He didn't know about Taylor.

However, Keith played on the outtakes...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-17 17:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 17, 2013 17:04

DandelionPowderman
He didn't know about Taylor.

However, Keith played on the outtakes...

Do you mean he was brought in again for overdubs, or on the original outtakes during the original sessions?

Date: October 17, 2013 17:17

He did overdubs on both these songs. Listen to the solo on Divine, for instance. Totally different sound, technique and tone compared to back in the day.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 17, 2013 17:20

According to zentgraf.de, Keith's only "new" contribution was on 'So Divine':

091000A Autumn: THE ROLLING STONES. New York City, One East Studio; Los Angeles, Henson Recording Studios; Los Angeles, The Village; Los Angeles, Mix This! and London, unidentified studio.
Mixing, editing and overdubbing of Exile On Main St.-leftovers and alternate takes (originally recorded between 1970 and 1971). Incl.

- All Down The Line II (MJ/KR) -alternate take
- Dancing In The Light II (MJ/KR) -new vocals, guitar and percussion by MJ
- Following The River II (MJ/KR) -new vocals, guitar and percussion by MJ, additional strings arrangement by David Campbell
- Good Time Woman (MJ/KR)
- I'm Not Signifying II (MJ/KR) -new vocals and harmonica by MJ
- Loving Cup II (MJ/KR) -alternate take
- Pass The Wine (Sophia Loren) II (MJ/KR) -new vocals and guitar by MJ, additional backing vocals by Lisa Fischer and Cindy Mizelle
- Plundered My Soul II (MJ/KR) -album version, new vocals and guitar by MJ, new guitar by MT, additional backing vocals by Lisa Fischer and Cindy Mizelle
- Plundered My Soul III (MJ/KR) -radio mix of version II
- So Divine (Aladdin Story) III (MJ/KR) -new vocals by MJ, new additonal guitar by KR
- Soul Survivor I (MJ/KR) -alternate take; KR on lead vocals
- Title 5 (MJ/KR) -take 1; instrumental

Musicians: MJ (voc, gtr, perc, harm)/KR (gtr)/MT (gtr)/Lisa Fischer & Cindy Mizelle (bvoc)/David Campbell (strings arrangement)

Date: October 17, 2013 18:33

I know, but listen to the guitar on Dancing... then listen to the outtakes.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 17, 2013 19:05

Keith said in a couple different interviews promoting the 'Exile' re-issue that he overdubbed guitar on one song. Of course he also said MT wasn't involved. ;-):

Q: What about the remix of the older material?

A: My approach was basically hand’s off, don’t touch. I don’t want to do any fancy, modern ideas on top of a 40-year-old record. My job was to guard the sanctity and purity of the original tracks. But there was some overdubbing of vocals on some of the extra tracks. There was one track where we heard an acoustic guitar, then about one-third of the way through another acoustic guitar because I string must’ve broken, so I overdubbed that. I wouldn’t touch the original tracks with a barge bull.

[leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com]

“I brushed a little acoustic guitar,” he says. “I can’t even remember on which song now. The original guitar track sort of stuttered and fell apart halfway through, so Don said, ‘Well, we better replace that.’ But that’s all I did really. As I said to Don, these tracks already are Exile, because they come out of that dusty basement. You can’t really screw around with them that much. Just tack them on. They are what they are, right from the same place.”

“That’s a rumor, babe,” he says. “If he was on there, I would know. We’ve had no contact with Mick for a long time.”

[www.guitarworld.com]

Date: October 17, 2013 19:11

bye bye johnny
Keith said in a couple different interviews promoting the 'Exile' re-issue that he overdubbed guitar on one song. Of course he also said MT wasn't involved. ;-):

Q: What about the remix of the older material?

A: My approach was basically hand’s off, don’t touch. I don’t want to do any fancy, modern ideas on top of a 40-year-old record. My job was to guard the sanctity and purity of the original tracks. But there was some overdubbing of vocals on some of the extra tracks. There was one track where we heard an acoustic guitar, then about one-third of the way through another acoustic guitar because I string must’ve broken, so I overdubbed that. I wouldn’t touch the original tracks with a barge bull.

[leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com]

“I brushed a little acoustic guitar,” he says. “I can’t even remember on which song now. The original guitar track sort of stuttered and fell apart halfway through, so Don said, ‘Well, we better replace that.’ But that’s all I did really. As I said to Don, these tracks already are Exile, because they come out of that dusty basement. You can’t really screw around with them that much. Just tack them on. They are what they are, right from the same place.”

“That’s a rumor, babe,” he says. “If he was on there, I would know. We’ve had no contact with Mick for a long time.”

[www.guitarworld.com]

He wouldn't have looked so out of touch if only he'd changed a couple of letters in that last sentence...

“If he was on there, I wouldn't know. I’ve had no contact with either Mick for a long time.”

Date: October 17, 2013 19:23

That ES sound is far from what he was doing back then. And since when has Keith been open about overdub details smiling smiley

There is no doubt Keith is playing electric guitar on this.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 18, 2013 04:43

bye bye johnny
According to zentgraf.de, Keith's only "new" contribution was on 'So Divine':

091000A Autumn: THE ROLLING STONES. New York City, One East Studio; Los Angeles, Henson Recording Studios; Los Angeles, The Village; Los Angeles, Mix This! and London, unidentified studio.
Mixing, editing and overdubbing of Exile On Main St.-leftovers and alternate takes (originally recorded between 1970 and 1971). Incl.

- All Down The Line II (MJ/KR) -alternate take
- Dancing In The Light II (MJ/KR) -new vocals, guitar and percussion by MJ
- Following The River II (MJ/KR) -new vocals, guitar and percussion by MJ, additional strings arrangement by David Campbell
- Good Time Woman (MJ/KR)
- I'm Not Signifying II (MJ/KR) -new vocals and harmonica by MJ
- Loving Cup II (MJ/KR) -alternate take
- Pass The Wine (Sophia Loren) II (MJ/KR) -new vocals and guitar by MJ, additional backing vocals by Lisa Fischer and Cindy Mizelle
- Plundered My Soul II (MJ/KR) -album version, new vocals and guitar by MJ, new guitar by MT, additional backing vocals by Lisa Fischer and Cindy Mizelle
- Plundered My Soul III (MJ/KR) -radio mix of version II
- So Divine (Aladdin Story) III (MJ/KR) -new vocals by MJ, new additonal guitar by KR
- Soul Survivor I (MJ/KR) -alternate take; KR on lead vocals
- Title 5 (MJ/KR) -take 1; instrumental

Musicians: MJ (voc, gtr, perc, harm)/KR (gtr)/MT (gtr)/Lisa Fischer & Cindy Mizelle (bvoc)/David Campbell (strings arrangement)

Damn, when did Cindy show back up? Caught a ride with Matt?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 18, 2013 05:18

I don't care what they play. I'm seeing The Rolling Stones. Next time will be my 57th time since 1975.

Date: October 18, 2013 08:13

More Hot Rocks
I don't care what they play. I'm seeing The Rolling Stones. Next time will be my 57th time since 1975.

Cool! What city?

Date: October 18, 2013 09:42

grinning smiley

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: October 18, 2013 15:04

I love Miss You and would gutted if it was dropped frrom the set.

Sad: Luxury is Ignored
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 22, 2013 02:05

As a long time Stones fan and umpteen concerts later, I can't understand why they don't include Luxury in every set list. Perhaps the most underrated song in catalog. Emotional Rescue worked well live and at first was considered a risk.

I don't think there is any risk mitigation associated with this great "Rocker"

Perhaps the Land Down Under will serve. Long Live Luxury!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-22 02:37 by Chris Fountain.

Luxury
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 22, 2013 02:17

Well, in 1975 Luxury was included (not all shows; not in G-boro) -

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-22 02:38 by Chris Fountain.

Re: Sad: Luxury is Ignored
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 22, 2013 04:25

I like it too, a fun track. I sing it at the pool for my wife all summer....

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home