Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 23
Re: OT: Kinks stuff - Kinks tour and more
Date: April 3, 2014 23:38

Redhotcarpet
keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet
I dont know anything about the Kinks and I discovered them far too late. They were always mentioned in the magazines or the books but still totally underrated by me. Is it the imo pretty lame bandname and their bleak image compared to Who, Stones, Velvet, Doors or Beatles? They failed to find new teen fans in the 1980s, 90s? Somehow their outside the retro era of the late 80s early 90s.

the kinks had a more bleak image than the velvet underground eye popping smiley

Yes absolutely. Velvet Underground is still a goldmine for fashion, music, attitude, image, art etc.

The Kinks is a 60s pop band.

maybe i am missing something. to me bleak almost means depressed looking. velvet underground always had a bleak, depressing image even though you are right it was all in the name of art. the kinks always seemed upbeat to me.

anyways yes the kinks had a big comeback in the states in the late 70's/early 80's that lasted about 6-7 years with some hits, gold albums and larger tours. they faded again by about 1985. oasis were big fans of then and were going to try to revive the kinks again by touring with them around 1995 and hope the younger audience picked up on them but the kinks were pretty much broken up at that time and the tour never happened

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 3, 2014 23:43

keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet
keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet
I dont know anything about the Kinks and I discovered them far too late. They were always mentioned in the magazines or the books but still totally underrated by me. Is it the imo pretty lame bandname and their bleak image compared to Who, Stones, Velvet, Doors or Beatles? They failed to find new teen fans in the 1980s, 90s? Somehow their outside the retro era of the late 80s early 90s.

the kinks had a more bleak image than the velvet underground eye popping smiley

Yes absolutely. Velvet Underground is still a goldmine for fashion, music, attitude, image, art etc.

The Kinks is a 60s pop band.

maybe i am missing something. to me bleak almost means depressed looking. velvet underground always had a bleak, depressing image even though you are right it was all in the name of art. the kinks always seemed upbeat to me.

anyways yes the kinks had a big comeback in the states in the late 70's/early 80's that lasted about 6-7 years with some hits, gold albums and larger tours. they faded again by about 1985. oasis were big fans of then and were going to try to revive the kinks again by touring with them around 1995 and hope the younger audience picked up on them but the kinks were pretty much broken up at that time and the tour never happened

Yeah, I don't think that I recall anything particularly 'bleak' about the Kinks. VU on the other hand...fashionably bleak!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 4, 2014 00:44

<<I don't think that I recall anything particularly 'bleak' about the Kinks.>>

Lou Reed, or as John "Rotten" Lydon once dubbed him, "Lu-Rid", was definitely bleak. Ray Davies, on the other hand, has a steadfast optimism to reinforce his traditional working class values, as reflected in numerous Kinks tunes.

Date: April 4, 2014 02:16

the kinks did have some songs with weird subject matter but i never thought of them as bleak

Date: April 4, 2014 04:33

keefriffhard4life
the kinks did have some songs with weird subject matter but i never thought of them as bleak

Art Lover and Lola certainly fall in that category

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 4, 2014 05:15

I used to think the KInks flaw was that they were 'too British' and for a period were doing less-accessoible concept albums. I was a fan of the earliest hits, Lola and then forwarding to the Sleepwalker/Low Budget era. But what I thought were flawed parts of their career was were the really great stuff was. Village Green, once I spent time with it, was brilliant. Songs like Waterloo Sunset, Well-Respected Man, Victoria etc that I thought kept them from being a hit in America due to their 'britishness' were amazing songs because they were about Britain and Rays love and nostalgia for it.

Years on from first enjoying the band in the 70s, I have grown to like them even more.

Date: April 4, 2014 05:18

treaclefingers
keefriffhard4life

Art Lover and Lola certainly fall in that category

Here's another....

But some are just wickedly hilarious!

Date: April 4, 2014 08:29

buffalo7478
I used to think the KInks flaw was that they were 'too British' and for a period were doing less-accessoible concept albums. I was a fan of the earliest hits, Lola and then forwarding to the Sleepwalker/Low Budget era. But what I thought were flawed parts of their career was were the really great stuff was. Village Green, once I spent time with it, was brilliant. Songs like Waterloo Sunset, Well-Respected Man, Victoria etc that I thought kept them from being a hit in America due to their 'britishness' were amazing songs because they were about Britain and Rays love and nostalgia for it.

Years on from first enjoying the band in the 70s, I have grown to like them even more.

i think thats the same view a lot of people have. they became too british although a few albums during that period are among the best work the band did

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 13, 2014 20:47

Well, Dave Davies's first UK gig for 13 years surpassed all my expectations by a long stretch. It was really a great night. Needless to say, it was terrific to hear all those Kinks songs (though a bit strange at first, as I'm now accustomed to seeing Ray sing them), but I was not familiar with his solo work and it was a revelation. After hearing him perform (and I hardly dare say that I found him to be in better voice than Ray these days), I now think that if they do something together it promises to be even better than so far imagined. He had a cracking three-piece band and really seemed to be very at home singing and playing on stage. Quite a feat as well, given that he had to relearn guitar and everything else after his stroke.

Here's the setlist, followed by a 4-star review (and for a photo, click on link at the bottom):

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
I Need You
She's Got Everything
Little Green Amp
Creeping Jean
Tired of Waiting for You
Susannah's Still Alive
See My Friends
Strangers
Flowers in the Rain
Young and Innocent Days
Death of a Clown
The Healing Boy
Dead End Street
Living on a Thin Line
Remember the Future
Where Have All the Good Times Gone
All Day and All of the Night

Encore:
You Really Got Me

Dave Davies, Barbican Hall, review
Dave Davies of the Kinks returned to rock with a rowdy run of hits, says Andrew Perry
4 out of 5 stars

For those who’ve learnt to read the runes of heritage-rock comebacks, it now seems certain that the Kinks are to follow in the footsteps of their Sixties antecedents, the Rolling Stones, by playing some 50th-anniversary shows this year. The ever crabby relationship between the band’s core siblings, Ray and Dave Davies, has apparently reached some kind of détente – they’ve reportedly even been rehearsing together. smiling bouncing smiley
Speculation was understandably rife that the occasion of Dave’s first UK concert in 13 years might’ve been used as a platform for an announcement, or indeed that the 67-year-old guitarist might be joined onstage by his elder brother, for the first time since the Kinks conked out in 1996.
It was also a necessary exercise in bringing wayward Dave back to match-fitness. While Ray, perennially fêted for his lyrical observations of quintessential Englishness, has remained a solo headlining attraction, the younger Davies’s progress has been more unsteady: 10 years ago, he suffered a stroke, and his rehabilitation, both physical and psychological, has been gruelling; his solo ventures, meanwhile, have reflected his more floaty, spiritual nature, taking in unloved albums of electro-rock, and a book about meditation.
As he appeared to the strains of the Kinks’s “I’m Not Like Everybody Else”, sporting an embroidered oriental gown over a pink suit, with red-rimmed spectacles resting casually atop his brows, he cut an individual dash, indeed. His voice was initially frail, and when a fan responded to the line in “Creepin’ Jean” about the character leaving her underwear lying around in his room, by flinging a rather voluminous bra at him, he was completely wrong-footed, and took a minute to regain his composure.
Barbican Hall’s gaping expanse has engulfed many a brittle rock act over the years, but Davies soon effortlessly filled it with his uniquely Neanderthal riffing style, and his sheer joy at being on stage. He seemed genuinely on the verge of tears as the audience bayed along to his 1967-vintage “Death of a Clown”. He fondly dedicated “Young and Innocent Days” to “a very dear and special person, my brother Raymond”, and eventually the Kinks megahits arrived, a breathless run including “Dead End Street”, “Where Have All the Good Times Gone?”, “All Day and All of the Night”, and, with the audience on their feet, “You Really Got Me”.
There were no fraternal cameos, and no announcements, but this was still a rowdy, memorable and hugely enjoyable show. Against the odds, Dave’s shaping up nicely.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 13, 2014 21:08

Thanks for posting Beast.

Sounds like a great night and Dave seems to look in good shape.

Always hoped they will get together.............Ray ,Dave,Mick Avory and John Dalton,the bass guitarist who was in between Pete Quaifes' spells in the one and only Kinks .

This sentence by the Telegraph reviewer gives me hope.

The ever crabby relationship between the band’s core siblings, Ray and Dave Davies, has apparently reached some kind of détente – they’ve reportedly even been rehearsing together. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 14, 2014 02:33

Yes, Beast thanks so much for that fantastic review! It is very encouraging to hear that Dave is doing well. How was his guitar playing? I was very impressed he had a small band, which I interpreted as he didn't need help covering his guitar parts. Is that so? Thanks again, and a great set list indeed!

Date: April 14, 2014 10:17

Go on Dave! What a fun gig that was. Apart from a very impressive performance, as detailed in the review above, I loved his interaction with the audience between almost every song. The culmination of this being when we were all singing "Maybe It's Because I'm A Londoner"!
He really got us going .....and yes, his voice may actually be in better shape than Ray's.

Date: April 14, 2014 11:26

Manofwealthandtaste
Go on Dave! What a fun gig that was. Apart from a very impressive performance, as detailed in the review above, I loved his interaction with the audience between almost every song. The culmination of this being when we were all singing "Maybe It's Because I'm A Londoner"!
He really got us going .....and yes, his voice may actually be in better shape than Ray's.

Hasn't it always been? Ray has the charm, Dave has the voice smiling smiley

Posted by: jiggysawdust ()
Date: April 14, 2014 16:04

Beast
He had a cracking three-piece band

Beast,
As a member of that three-piece band, I thank you. The show was a lot of fun.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: April 14, 2014 16:59

I saw Dave at BB Kings in NYC before the stroke and he was just awesome then, even doing Father Christmas in the middle of the summer!

I saw Ray performing with Yo La Tengo and it ranks as one of the best shows I've ever seen so I'm ready and have been waiting for the reunion for ever. I hope it happens, and I will definately go.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: April 14, 2014 17:07

Beast
Well, Dave Davies's first UK gig for 13 years surpassed all my expectations by a long stretch. It was really a great night. Needless to say, it was terrific to hear all those Kinks songs (though a bit strange at first, as I'm now accustomed to seeing Ray sing them), but I was not familiar with his solo work and it was a revelation. After hearing him perform (and I hardly dare say that I found him to be in better voice than Ray these days), I now think that if they do something together it promises to be even better than so far imagined. He had a cracking three-piece band and really seemed to be very at home singing and playing on stage. Quite a feat as well, given that he had to relearn guitar and everything else after his stroke.

Here's the setlist, followed by a 4-star review (and for a photo, click on link at the bottom):

I Need You
She's Got Everything
Little Green Amp
Creeping Jean
Tired of Waiting for You
Susannah's Still Alive
See My Friends
Strangers
Flowers in the Rain
Young and Innocent Days
Death of a Clown
The Healing Boy
Dead End Street
Living on a Thin Line
Remember the Future
Where Have All the Good Times Gone
All Day and All of the Night

Encore:
You Really Got Me

Dave Davies, Barbican Hall, review
Dave Davies of the Kinks returned to rock with a rowdy run of hits, says Andrew Perry
4 out of 5 stars

For those who’ve learnt to read the runes of heritage-rock comebacks, it now seems certain that the Kinks are to follow in the footsteps of their Sixties antecedents, the Rolling Stones, by playing some 50th-anniversary shows this year. The ever crabby relationship between the band’s core siblings, Ray and Dave Davies, has apparently reached some kind of détente – they’ve reportedly even been rehearsing together. smiling bouncing smiley
Speculation was understandably rife that the occasion of Dave’s first UK concert in 13 years might’ve been used as a platform for an announcement, or indeed that the 67-year-old guitarist might be joined onstage by his elder brother, for the first time since the Kinks conked out in 1996.
It was also a necessary exercise in bringing wayward Dave back to match-fitness. While Ray, perennially fêted for his lyrical observations of quintessential Englishness, has remained a solo headlining attraction, the younger Davies’s progress has been more unsteady: 10 years ago, he suffered a stroke, and his rehabilitation, both physical and psychological, has been gruelling; his solo ventures, meanwhile, have reflected his more floaty, spiritual nature, taking in unloved albums of electro-rock, and a book about meditation.
As he appeared to the strains of the Kinks’s “I’m Not Like Everybody Else”, sporting an embroidered oriental gown over a pink suit, with red-rimmed spectacles resting casually atop his brows, he cut an individual dash, indeed. His voice was initially frail, and when a fan responded to the line in “Creepin’ Jean” about the character leaving her underwear lying around in his room, by flinging a rather voluminous bra at him, he was completely wrong-footed, and took a minute to regain his composure.
Barbican Hall’s gaping expanse has engulfed many a brittle rock act over the years, but Davies soon effortlessly filled it with his uniquely Neanderthal riffing style, and his sheer joy at being on stage. He seemed genuinely on the verge of tears as the audience bayed along to his 1967-vintage “Death of a Clown”. He fondly dedicated “Young and Innocent Days” to “a very dear and special person, my brother Raymond”, and eventually the Kinks megahits arrived, a breathless run including “Dead End Street”, “Where Have All the Good Times Gone?”, “All Day and All of the Night”, and, with the audience on their feet, “You Really Got Me”.
There were no fraternal cameos, and no announcements, but this was still a rowdy, memorable and hugely enjoyable show. Against the odds, Dave’s shaping up nicely.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

You got lucky. At the City Winery in NYC the show was very poor.

Date: April 14, 2014 17:14

jiggysawdust
Beast
He had a cracking three-piece band

Beast,
As a member of that three-piece band, I thank you. The show was a lot of fun.

cool jiggy...what do you play?

Date: April 15, 2014 05:27

Treacle,
I play second guitar.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 15, 2014 19:54

Thanks for the great reviews, especially the expansive recap from Beast. I am so happy to hear that Dave appeared to be in good form and having fun. I am sure it was an emotional gig for him. Did he really do "Maybe It's Because I'm A Londoner"? How cool would that have been to experience? The Davies boys are true Londoners are heart.

Date: April 15, 2014 21:56

The Davies boys are true Londoners are heart.

Muswell HillBillys through and through. thumbs up

Date: April 15, 2014 23:23

jiggysawdust
Treacle,
I play second guitar.

A great gig to get, glad it worked out and was a lot of fun.

Date: April 16, 2014 04:35

crawdaddy
The Davies boys are true Londoners are heart.

Muswell HillBillys through and through. thumbs up

Ray has a great post-Kinks song about London.

Date: April 16, 2014 09:48

filstan
Did he really do "Maybe It's Because I'm A Londoner"?
He did.

Date: April 16, 2014 12:27

Hey Jiggy, was it you that Dave said he met in a curry house?!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 16, 2014 17:49

jiggysawdust
filstan
Did he really do "Maybe It's Because I'm A Londoner"?
He did.

That's really awesome. What a treat!

Date: April 18, 2014 02:17

Manofwealthandtaste
Hey Jiggy, was it you that Dave said he met in a curry house?!
Man Of Wealth,
I just saw the video of "Strangers" from The Barbican and now understand the question. He made this reference to bass player Tom Currier who'd just played an Indian music interlude on keyboards while Dave changed clothes. This was Dave's idea of a joke so no, he didn't meet him at a curry house.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 19, 2014 02:02

Hilarious crossed wires were going on there!

And please keep up the good work, jiggy and co. That was a great night and we look forward to more >grinning smiley<

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 8, 2014 18:45

WOW !!

[www.independent.co.uk]

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 8, 2014 18:50

This is great! thumbs up

Date: June 8, 2014 19:02

Sounds good . winking smiley

There was recently a show playing in a small theatre in London all about The Kinks.
Tried for tix but every show fully booked.
Similar show to Jersey Boys and had rave reviews.

Talk about it coming to the West End in London.

Even better if The Kinks are actually playing live on tour. smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home