Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 23
Re: OT: Kinks stuff - Kinks tour and more
Date: June 8, 2014 21:30

they have been saying this for 2 years now

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 8, 2014 22:57

keefriffhard4life
they have been saying this for 2 years now
I agree. This sounds amazing, but if I get my hopes up I'm more than likely to just be disappointed. This does appear to be more explicit and closer to a reunion than we've had possibly ever.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 9, 2014 00:29

Dave said today that he'd spoken to Ray but nothing had been agreed.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 9, 2014 03:36

I can imagine how that discussion might have gone....

Ray: I want Mick Avory back in the band.

Dave: No $%&*^ way! I'm not @#$%$^ playing with that *&^%$ again! It's Bob Henrit, or it's off! And I want three songs on the new album!

Ray: Then go %^$*#& yourself! And you'll get one song if you'll $%^&*# get any space on the album at all!

Dave: Then %^&*$%^ off you $&#^%$^! I'll just do another album myself!

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: July 3, 2014 19:04

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 3, 2014 20:46

Hopefully that article is wrong, they have already re-released deluxe versions of all their albums up to Lola, so hopefully the Lola is the first of the 70s stuff being re-released. It looks good.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 3, 2014 20:59

Keeping my fingers crossed, a Kinks reunion is on the cards.

A Kinks stage show in London in similar format to Jersey Boys almost there, after short run in Hampstead.

Tried to get tix for that one but all sold out.

'Sunny Afternoon', will have to be the next best thing to Ray, Dave, Mick and a decent bass player up on stage billed as 'The Kinks '. winking smiley

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 3, 2014 22:56

Ray and Dave have enough FU money to argue about the nature of the tour and say screw The Kinks Tour, I'll go it alone.

But they are not rich and would be smart to tour for extra financial security

"Ray Davies is an English musician with a net worth of $2.6 million" from the internet

Date: July 4, 2014 02:45

whitem8
Hopefully that article is wrong, they have already re-released deluxe versions of all their albums up to Lola, so hopefully the Lola is the first of the 70s stuff being re-released. It looks good.
label changed and the other deluxe editions were pulled out of print

Date: August 27, 2014 16:05

[www.mojo4music.com]

Kinks Reunion Confirmed For 2015 – With Or Without Dave Davies
Ray Davies reveals continuing friction means the reunion could go ahead without founder member and brother Dave.

By MOJO STAFF AUGUST 26, 2014

ROCK LEGENDS THE KINKS will reunite in 2015 for a tour and new album, the group’s singer Ray Davies reveals in the latest issue of MOJO, available in UK shops now.

However, his younger brother and musical foil Dave, with whom he started the group in 1963, may not join the reunion due to their ever-fractious relationship. “Dave’s invited to the party, but if he doesn’t want to do it, [the reunion] will happen anyway,” reveals the singer. “He’s very welcome to turn up if he wants. I’d much rather work with him than without him.”

The group – who last played together in 1996 – met last summer to discuss a reunion, in anticipation of the 50th anniversary this autumn of their breakthrough hit, You Really Got Me. But strained relations between the Davies brothers have postponed a Kinks get-together until next year. Meanwhile, Ray has been recording new Kinks material with original drummer Mick Avory, to which Dave has yet to contribute.

Asked if The Kinks without Dave would actually be The Kinks, Davies replies, “Yes, it would. I think it’s all down to the music. If somebody can’t or won’t play, there are other players out there. Mick and I want to do it.”

In our exclusive interview, Davies also discusses the new album he’s writing as a companion piece to his 2013 book Americana: The Kinks, The Road And The Perfect Riff, and the shows he’s playing in September based around the 50th anniversary of You Really Got Me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-27 16:06 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 27, 2014 16:15

This sounds ominous. Reading between the lines Ray has cut Dave a cash deal which until now Dave has rejected. Ray insists The Kinks without Dave will still be The Kinks. That's total bullshit. Dave needs to be in the band. Without him it may as well be a solo Ray Davies show.

Date: August 27, 2014 16:25

Silver Dagger
This sounds ominous. Reading between the lines Ray has cut Dave a cash deal which until now Dave has rejected. Ray insists The Kinks without Dave will still be The Kinks. That's total bullshit. Dave needs to be in the band. Without him it may as well be a solo Ray Davies show.

According to the Kinks' Facebook page, Ray didn't say that they would carry on without Dave. Seemingly a mis-quote.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 27, 2014 16:30

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger

According to the Kinks' Facebook page, Ray didn't say that they would carry on without Dave. Seemingly a mis-quote.

It appeared as a quote from him in the latest Mojo. Isn't that what their little spat has been about all these years - equal billing, equal pay? I can well believe it.

Date: August 27, 2014 16:32

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger

It appeared as a quote from him in the latest Mojo. Isn't that what their little spat has been about all these years - equal billing, equal pay? I can well believe it.

Apparently, he has denied saying that now...

May be a little game, regarding £...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 27, 2014 16:37

Ray probably did say it, figuring Dave would never allow him to tour under the Kinks banner without him, and would thus get on board with the tour. The idea of a Kinks tour without Dave is preposterous. I really don't see how it would be any different from any other Ray Davies tour.

Date: August 27, 2014 16:41

tatters
Ray probably did say it, figuring Dave would never allow him to tour under the Kinks banner without him, and would thus get on board with the tour. The idea of a Kinks tour without Dave is preposterous. I really don't see how it would be any different from any other Ray Davies tour.

I'm not saying he didn't. Only that the Kinks' Official Facebook Page says he never said it:

"Any thing you hear about Ray Davies going ahead with a KinKs Reunion of any sort without Dave Davies is 100% not true - Ray never said it nor did he ever plan on doing it, it is all gossip on the internet about other peoples lives -
Add it up - Ray Davies + Dave Davies = The KinKs"

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 27, 2014 16:50

I agree. Ray and Mick with a bass player and another guitarist would not be The Kinks.

Ray ,Dave, Mick and a bass player would be great. That would be as near as dammit to the original Kinks. winking smiley

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 27, 2014 18:29

A true reunion would include a fist fight on stage with Mick and Dave. Ray also would need to spray the front rows with beer (which happened to me, I'm proud to say).

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 27, 2014 18:48

<<Ray has been recording new Kinks material with original drummer Mick Avory>>

And that is the reason Dave refuses to participate, since it was he who pushed to get Avory dropped from the band in the eighties.

So they'll have two original members, plus a guitarist or two from Ray's solo touring band to fill out the sound. It will still sound like the Kinks, and it will have two original members, whereas if Dave had agreed to participate it would be because he got his way and had Mick Avory excluded, which would have meant two original members.

So what's the problem? If the Kinks reform, you can only have two original members either way. Whether it's the drummer or the lead guitarist that needs to be replaced, it will still sound like the Kinks--only without two original members.

In typical form, whenever the Kinks are presented with an opportunity and set about to do something, they only get it half right.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: August 27, 2014 18:58

The 70-76 lineup are all still around(Ray,Dave,Avory,John Dalton,John Gosling).
The last 3 played a gig with Kast Off Kinks only last week.It was to celebrate the 50th anniversary of YRGM hitting No. 1.

Date: August 27, 2014 19:00

Kinks without Dave won't sound like the Kinks. They have proved they could without Mick, but hopefully they will bury the hatchet this time.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 27, 2014 19:16

No Dave, no Kinks IMO. It would be cool if Ray, Dave, Mick and maybe Dalton would do some live dates in the UK to see how it worked out. Dalton I have read doesn't want to play outside of England, but that might be old news.

On a more positive note the recent release of the Deluxe Edition Lola vs Powerman is brilliant. Having added another diskl with the Percy soundtrack, outtakees, instrumentals, and previously unreleased material this is a must have for Kinks fans. My copy showed up a few days ago in the mail and I have really enjoyed listening to this gem. These Kinks Deluxe Edition releases have been excellent.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 27, 2014 19:45

Opps, didn't mean to forget "Baptist" if they indeed were to form a strong working lineup.

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: August 27, 2014 21:48

Well, well....everybody! THE KINKS were GREAT!!! For me number three behind The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, but one place before The Who,"The Great 4 of The Britisch invasion". I do understand Dave does not want to do a KINKS reuinon by Ray's Laws.
Saw Ray Davis last year in Hyde Park, the day before the second STONES show. Just the wrong place at the wrong time for him or The Kinks. I also saw Ray in Amsterdam doing acoustic versions of Kinksclassics. Too much of singing along demandence I think.
................LoooooooooooooooooolaalalallaKockaKOLlLAAAA......
This is a bit like a Mick versus Keith "war" leading to a "surprise" (in this case for The KINKS fans) never dreamed of this to happen TOUR.
If THE KINKS (Ray, Dave, Mike and some others) come to The Netherlands next year I will try to get a ticket for sure!

Date: August 27, 2014 22:55

Has to be Dave, and I say that as a huge Ray fan. If it was just Ray, he might as well just invite Mick out on the road with him and tour under their two names. But a Kinks tour has to be Ray and Dave more than Ray and Mick. As much as I want Mick to participate, if Dave being there means Mick doesn't (which is preposterous, but if its what Dave wants its what Dave wants) then I'd rather that. The Kinks may as well be called The Davies, cause thats what they are and always have been.

I agree with the main point though that as long as Ray is on stage, no matter who he's with, he can make it sound like the Kinks. But Dave has to be there for it to be legitimate. Otherwise it is just another solo outing.

Date: August 28, 2014 23:29

Yup. Apparently the Mojo report was false:

[www.ultimate-guitar.com]

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 28, 2014 23:41

Mick Avory must be part of any Kinks reunion.

Let's face it, the Black Crowes just ain't the Black Crowes since Jeff Sullivan left the band! grinning smiley

and Pearl Jam ain't Pearl Jam since Dave Krusen left the band grinning smileygrinning smiley

Date: August 28, 2014 23:44

Jeff Cease!

Date: September 9, 2014 17:10

Dave Davies to Release New Album, October 28

BY MICHAEL MOLENDA

September 8, 2014

Dave Davies' office has confirmed that his new album, entitled Rippin Up Time, is scheduled for release by Sony's Red River Entertainment label on October 28, 2014.

[www.guitarplayer.com]

The Kinks' guitar hero's last album, I Will Be Me, hit the streets on June 4, 2013.

Guitar Player will publish an interview with Davies in an upcoming issue.

He is also touring this fall, so be sure to check out one of these shows...

11-NOV-2014 Milwaukee, Wisconsin Turner Hall Ballroom
12-NOV-2014 Chicago, Illinois City Winery Chicago
13-NOV-2014 Chicago, Illinois City Winery Chicago
14-NOV-2014 Ferndale, Michigan The Magic Bag Theatre
18-NOV-2014 York, Pennsylvania Pullo Center
19-NOV-2014 Natick, Massachusetts The Center for Arts in Natick
20-NOV-2014 Norfolk, Connecticut Infinity Hall
21-NOV-2014 Norfolk, Connecticut Infinity Hall
22-NOV-2014 Bethlehem, Pennsylvania ArtsQuest Center
24-NOV-2014 New York City, New York City Winery New York
25-NOV-2014 New York City, New York City Winery New York
26-NOV-2014 Pittsfield, Massachusetts The Colonial Theatre
28-NOV-2014 Englewood, New Jersey Bergen Performing Arts Center

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 9, 2014 18:52

Great news about Dave's album and tour! He's worth seeing if his recent London show was anything to go by. Tonight I'll be attending a performance by his brother.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 23

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2336
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home