Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 223
Re: beatles white album or stones exile on main st.
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 8, 2013 22:40

kleermaker

No, Taylor always served the song. But do your ears serve you, that's the question. cool smiley Maybe you're a bit too biased. Harrison and Taylor have something in common I discovered. Never been a Beatles-expert, so the similarity struck me when I listened more carefully to Abbey Road last night. When compared to the Jones/Richards guitar couple one could be misled by thinking that Taylor was a hotshot lead guitarist in the Stones. He wasn't.

He didn't and he was very much. grinning smiley

More a case of your ears being closed to these points of view because you like Taylors playing so much.

smiling smiley

You, like a lot of others make the mistake of viewing Jones & Richards as guitar thing. Quite a lot of onstage time features the stones as a one guitar band.

They both were imperfect ace live bands imo, but what one lacked the other had and vice versa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-08 22:49 by His Majesty.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 8, 2013 22:47

kleermaker
Abbey Road is indeed fantastic. Best Beatles album. Better than Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed. At least on par with Sticky Fingers.

kleermaker
walkingthedog
kleermaker

Abbey Road is indeed fantastic. Best Beatles album. Better than Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed. At least on par with Sticky Fingers.

Abbey Road is one of my least favourite Beatles albums. Way too much McCartney, the Harrison songs are too sweet for my taste and Lennon's material is not his best. The only decent song is I Want You (She's So Heavy). Not even close to BB or LIB.
I'd rather hear Emotional Rescue any day!

You're kidding!
What about Pepper and Mystery Tour? Both initiated (and dominated) by McCartney too. Both great.

I always find it odd to read these types of posts on a Stones forum. Pepper and Abbey Road are great sixties albums, both among the best albums ever made, but they are great in the way that Pet Sounds, Tapestry or Bridge Over Troubled Waters are great - "pop masterpieces" with some stunning ballads and very little rock and roll on either album (the short version of "Sgt. Pepper" rocks pretty convincingly, but that's like, 90 seconds long). Magical Mystery Tour is even more extreme; whether you like it or not is a matter of taste (personally, I never get the urge to listen to it), but it doesn't rock at ALL.

The Stones could have followed that path - Between the Buttons and Satanic Majesties had them on that road. Fortunately for everyone, someone in the band realized that they weren't very good at "ambitious pop", and they decided to just do what they did better than anyone else - blues based guitar rock. I don't know whether Let It Bleed or Beggars Banquet are better than Abbey Road, but 40+ years down the road, the Stones' music from the period still sounds fresh. I think the reason is that everything the Stones did after Jumping Jack Flash was basic, blues-based rock, and the blues are timeless - hell, "Love in Vain" and "Prodigal Son" were already 30-40 years old when the Stones did them straight up.

Abbey Road is definitely prettier, and it has a classic ballad, "Something", that people will be singing on reality TV shows for decades to come. But, unless you don't like rock and roll, there's nothing on that album that comes remotely close to "Gimme Shelter."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-08 22:49 by drbryant.

Re: Beatles v Stones
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 8, 2013 22:48

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Is this thread still going, I thought the Stones won...

Wrong. The Beatles did. smiling smiley

As live band - Stones wins big times.

Had the Beatles continued the Hamburg 1958 style, I am not sure they would have reached the same popularity as they did later on. But (as Beatles did), if you choose the polished boy-band image, then you are a sure winner amongst the population.

Date: November 8, 2013 22:57

I hate the mind set of some that things have to rock or be blues in order for them to be deemed great.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 8, 2013 23:00

His Majesty
kleermaker

No, Taylor always served the song. But do your ears serve you, that's the question. cool smiley Maybe you're a bit too biased. Harrison and Taylor have something in common I discovered. Never been a Beatles-expert, so the similarity struck me when I listened more carefully to Abbey Road last night. When compared to the Jones/Richards guitar couple one could be misled by thinking that Taylor was a hotshot lead guitarist in the Stones. He wasn't.

More a case of your ears being closed to these points of view because you like Taylors playing so much.

smiling smiley

You, like a lot of others make the mistake of viewing Jones & Richards as guitar thing. Quite a lot of onstage time features the stones as a one guitar band.

They both were imperfect ace live bands imo, but what one lacked the other had and vice versa.

We can discuss this endlessly of course and we've already done that, but during the Taylor-era we can hear the Stones during the 69 tour and during the 73 tour. Different sounds but in my opinion both ace versions of the band. Very creative.

Anyway, we agree on the Beatles and the Stones being ace bands during the same period (63-69), and me, I think the Stones were also ace during 69-73 and sensational on stage.

Date: November 8, 2013 23:03

His Majesty
I hate the mind set of some that things have to rock or be blues in order for them to be deemed great.

That's not my mindset. I think Yo-Yo Ma's Bach concertos are great, and I think Pet Sounds is great and I think Abbey Road is great. But they don't rock, and I (and most people on Stones forums) prefer music that rocks. Nothing more, nothing less.

Date: November 8, 2013 23:28

kleermaker
during the Taylor-era we can hear the Stones during the 69 tour and during the 73 tour. Different sounds but in my opinion both ace versions of the band. Very creative.

I don't disagree with that.

Mr serve the song Harrison was very much an arrangement kinda player, way more subtle and considered than Taylor.

Taylor in 1969 - 1973 is more in the vain of the hot shot blues lead guitarist. He was of course more than just that, but I think it's daft to deny that wasn't a big part of his thang.

This has nowt to do with the song and everything to do with him showing off his geetar skills.

Date: November 8, 2013 23:30

drbryant
His Majesty

That's not my mindset. I think Yo-Yo Ma's Bach concertos are great, and I think Pet Sounds is great and I think Abbey Road is great. But they don't rock, and I (and most people on Stones forums) prefer music that rocks. Nothing more, nothing less.

But, so much of the stones music doesn't rock. That's a good thing.

ACDC and Motorhead rock and that's about all they do. Boring.

Date: November 8, 2013 23:36

His Majesty
drbryant
His Majesty

I don't know about Motorhead, but I don't find AC/DC boring. The last thing I would want is an AC/DC acoustic ballad, or even worse, an AC/DC "pop symphony". I feel the same way about Joan Jett, the Ramones, John Fogerty and many others.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 8, 2013 23:38

John Fogerty? whats he got to do wiih AC/DC, Ramones and Joan Jett

Date: November 8, 2013 23:40

It doesn't have to be all or nothing eh.

Date: November 8, 2013 23:45

drbryant
His Majesty
drbryant
His Majesty

Well, you got their best tune: Ride On. A stripped-down blues, mostly mellow winking smiley

I don't know about Motorhead, but I don't find AC/DC boring. The last thing I would want is an AC/DC acoustic ballad, or even worse, an AC/DC "pop symphony". I feel the same way about Joan Jett, the Ramones, John Fogerty and many others.

Date: November 8, 2013 23:46

NICOS

@#$%& all that's what. grinning smiley

Date: November 8, 2013 23:55

NICOS

From my perspective, a love for rock and roll that is basic and unadorned, unpretentious. An unwillingness to change that for commercial reasons. No compromise. I hear it in Fogerty, as I hear it in Malcolm Young and Joan Jett. And Keith Richards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-08 23:56 by drbryant.

Date: November 9, 2013 00:02

drbryant

An unwillingness to change that for commercial reasons. No compromise.... Keith Richards.

Lol.

Date: November 9, 2013 00:03

His Majesty
It doesn't have to be all or nothing eh.

Of course not. My only point is that Pepper, MMT and Abbey Road don't have much rock and roll, and I like rock and roll so I prefer Let it Bleed. Hey, I love the Beatles - in fact, I'll see Paul McCartney perform twice this month in Tokyo. But if forced to choose which to take to a desert island, I would take my Brown Sugar/Bitch/Let it Rock 45 over all my copies of Pepper, MMT and Abbey Road.

[Edit] just checked - actually have tickets for THREE McCartney shows this month, as well as Atoms for Peace and the Vienna Philharmonic. Wonder how I'll get any work done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-09 00:05 by drbryant.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 9, 2013 00:11

drbryant
kleermaker

kleermaker
walkingthedog
kleermaker

Abbey Road is one of my least favourite Beatles albums. Way too much McCartney, the Harrison songs are too sweet for my taste and Lennon's material is not his best. The only decent song is I Want You (She's So Heavy). Not even close to BB or LIB.
I'd rather hear Emotional Rescue any day!

You're kidding!
What about Pepper and Mystery Tour? Both initiated (and dominated) by McCartney too. Both great.

I always find it odd to read these types of posts on a Stones forum. Pepper and Abbey Road are great sixties albums, both among the best albums ever made, but they are great in the way that Pet Sounds, Tapestry or Bridge Over Troubled Waters are great - "pop masterpieces" with some stunning ballads and very little rock and roll on either album (the short version of "Sgt. Pepper" rocks pretty convincingly, but that's like, 90 seconds long). Magical Mystery Tour is even more extreme; whether you like it or not is a matter of taste (personally, I never get the urge to listen to it), but it doesn't rock at ALL.

The Stones could have followed that path - Between the Buttons and Satanic Majesties had them on that road. Fortunately for everyone, someone in the band realized that they weren't very good at "ambitious pop", and they decided to just do what they did better than anyone else - blues based guitar rock. I don't know whether Let It Bleed or Beggars Banquet are better than Abbey Road, but 40+ years down the road, the Stones' music from the period still sounds fresh. I think the reason is that everything the Stones did after Jumping Jack Flash was basic, blues-based rock, and the blues are timeless - hell, "Love in Vain" and "Prodigal Son" were already 30-40 years old when the Stones did them straight up.

Abbey Road is definitely prettier, and it has a classic ballad, "Something", that people will be singing on reality TV shows for decades to come. But, unless you don't like rock and roll, there's nothing on that album that comes remotely close to "Gimme Shelter."

Come Together does. I Want You (She's so Heavy) does. And for poignantly beautiful rock, The End.

Date: November 9, 2013 00:14

drbryant

Of course not. My only point is that Pepper, MMT and Abbey Road don't have much rock and roll, and I like rock and roll so I prefer Let it Bleed. Hey, I love the Beatles - in fact, I'll see Paul McCartney perform twice this month in Tokyo. But if forced to choose which to take to a desert island, I would take my Brown Sugar/Bitch/Let it Rock 45 over all my copies of Pepper, MMT and Abbey Road.

[Edit] just checked - actually have tickets for THREE McCartney shows this month, as well as Atoms for Peace and the Vienna Philharmonic. Wonder how I'll get any work done.

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-09 00:15 by His Majesty.

Date: November 9, 2013 00:20

whitem8
drbryant

Come Together does. I Want You (She's so Heavy) does. And for poignantly beautiful rock, The End.

I can understand how some people might feel that "Come Together" comes close to "Gimme Shelter". That's a great track.

Date: November 9, 2013 00:31

So you see some things can come close:-)

Date: November 9, 2013 00:44

drbryant
His Majesty

thumbs up Go to other forum and discuss pop / boyband music

Posted by: landis ()
Date: November 9, 2013 00:55

I think both bands are the greatest at what they do. There are a lot myths about both bands if you know rock music are easily dismissed. The Rolling Stones had some great pop songs that are not really rock influenced like "Tears Go By" or "Ruby Tuesday". It's just great pop songs and on par with The Beatles IMO.

The Beatles on the hand could out-rock the Rolling Stones also like "Helter Skelter" and check out "Happiness is a Warm Gun" “Mother Superior” bridge while brief, is layered in the sludge-like blues guitar scuzz later popularized by Black Sabbath.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-09 00:56 by landis.

Date: November 9, 2013 01:08

mtaylor

Pop rocks! >grinning smiley<

Date: November 9, 2013 01:24

His Majesty
kleermaker
during the Taylor-era we can hear the Stones during the 69 tour and during the 73 tour. Different sounds but in my opinion both ace versions of the band. Very creative.

I don't disagree with that.

Well you go pretty far now cool smiley

Date: November 9, 2013 01:52

mtaylor
drbryant
His Majesty

So cranky again, didn't get enough sleep before school? Didn't do your homework? Teacher scolded you?

Date: November 9, 2013 19:15

whitem8

So cranky again, didn't get enough sleep before school? Didn't do your homework? Teacher scolded you?

Is that for me or mtaylor? grinning smiley

Date: November 9, 2013 20:48

His Majesty
whitem8

For both I guess. grinning smiley

Date: November 9, 2013 20:51

His Majesty
kleermaker

smiling smiley

To be serious: the question is what really IS serving the song. Until now it's a subjective thing: you have your ideas about it and I have mine. We still don't agree on the concept what serving the song really is.

Date: November 9, 2013 21:15

kleermaker
His Majesty
whitem8

The slightest critisism of Beatles and people are crying big time - just wonder if Goofy Macca is the person!!!
But fact is - Beatles were a boyband... had they continued the Hamburg 1958 style, they had not sold the records they did after becoming a polished pop band.

Date: November 9, 2013 21:36

mtaylor
kleermaker
His Majesty
whitem8

The slightest critisism of Beatles and people are crying big time - just wonder if Goofy Macca is the person!!!
But fact is - Beatles were a boyband... had they continued the Hamburg 1958 style, they had not sold the records they did after becoming a polished pop band.
Don't flatter yourself, no one is crying about your inane criticism. Your posts are not FACT, but opinion that belay the fact that you come across as an insecure middle schooler who needs to learn a bit more about life.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home