Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 223
Re: Beatles v Stones
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 12, 2013 17:13

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Shine A Light and Sweet Black Angel are both ace songs.

Let It Loose is just good.

Look, Mr. kleerie! A song can be great even though Taylor isn't on it.

My Stones favourite is Moonlight Mile - nuff said winking smiley

It has nothing to do with that. So much stuff before Taylor's time I love. But this song doesn't work so well for me. Sweet Black Angel isn't particularly a Taylor made song, isn't it? Still I do love it, one of the best songs on Exile.

It's tailor-made for Mick and Keith to sing, at least winking smiley

Absolutely! Almost as good as the Beatles singing together. winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 12, 2013 20:07

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker

It has nothing to do with that. So much stuff before Taylor's time I love. But this song doesn't work so well for me. Sweet Black Angel isn't particularly a Taylor made song, isn't it? Still I do love it, one of the best songs on Exile.

If we're including 'the Japanese thing' as a ballad, I'd hold that particular one up against any of the Beatles ballads. I think it should go toe to toe or tete-a-tete... a contest of wills Across the Universe vs. Moonlight Mile.

I think somebody (not me) should start a thread on it.

Date: November 12, 2013 20:47

treaclefingers
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker

If we're including 'the Japanese thing' as a ballad, I'd hold that particular one up against any of the Beatles ballads. I think it should go toe to toe or tete-a-tete... a contest of wills Across the Universe vs. Moonlight Mile.

The so called Japanese thing has always been hidden for me as were it in a woman's Chinese sleeve. Can someone point out to me at what time it starts and ends in the song?

Date: November 12, 2013 21:07

kleermaker
treaclefingers
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker

The so called Japanese thing has always been hidden for me as were it in a woman's Chinese sleeve. Can someone point out to me at what time it starts and ends in the song?

I think I can klarify...it's the vibe throughout the entire song.

Date: November 12, 2013 22:08

treaclefingers
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker

No contest.

MM vs A Day In The Life or Something is a tougher one, though...

Date: November 12, 2013 22:30

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker

No contest.

MM vs A Day In The Life it is. A Day In is just a tad more special to my taste. But again: show me please the Japanese Thing (just by giving its time in the song).

Date: November 12, 2013 22:45

What do you mean?

The ending riff is the one that is supposedly nicked from a song Keith worked on earlier - with the working title "the japanese thing". Taylor supposedly asked Mick to add strings on it toward the ending.

The result was magnificent, as we all know. If true, a solid proof of excellent musicianship by Taylor thumbs up

Date: November 12, 2013 23:03

DandelionPowderman
What do you mean?

The ending riff is the one that is supposedly nicked from a song Keith worked on earlier - with the working title "the japanese thing". Taylor supposedly asked Mick to add strings on it toward the ending.

The result was magnificent, as we all know. If true, a solid proof of excellent musicianship by Taylor thumbs up

I mean that I can't find it in the song. When you give me the beginning and ending time of it I might be able to identify the Japanese thing, finally.

Date: November 12, 2013 23:15

He he, just identify the ending riff which eventually gets supported with strings toward the ending. It's nowhere near japanese-sounding, though winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-12 23:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 13, 2013 01:20

DandelionPowderman
He he, just identify the ending riff which eventually gets supported with strings toward the ending. It's nowhere near japanese-sounding, though winking smiley

Yeah, that is what he says in the famous ROLLING STONE '71 interview:

I thought I wasn't on Moonlight Mile but the last riff everybody gets into playing is a riff I'd been playing on earlier tapes before I dropped out.

But that is funnily in contradiction with what Taylor has lately said of his contribution:

At Stargroves, we had the Stones' 16-track mobile recording unit outside, and, inside, we played in this huge room with a gallery and great acoustics. That's where Moonlight Mile came from. But Mick first sang it to me in a first-class railway compartment on the way from Lindon to Bristol. Then he had the idea of embellishing it with strings. I contributed the riff that Paul Buckmaster's strings are based on - that ethereal, unresolved ending.

- Mick Taylor, 2011

(A)s far as the (Stones songs) I played on, I like Sway - and Moonlight Mile because I sort of had a hand in co-writing that, in a way. Or at least I wrote the riff the string part is based on.

- Mick Taylor, 2012

(All the quotes are from timeisonourside.com)

Someone is misremembering or making a mistake here...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-13 01:29 by Doxa.

Date: November 13, 2013 07:18

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker

No contest.

Yeah, I just thought that MM and Across the Universe were comparable in terms of style, that's why I pitted those two. Both very ethereal.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 13, 2013 08:27

My opinion is:

I hate scrolling down and seeing the entire back and forth sequence of these quotes repeated over and over again.

When you quote a comment, could you please delete the one that came before?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 13, 2013 08:42

loog droog

I like the interesting geometric shapes they make, like a pyramid is being built on your browser screen.

Let's start another one, just for fun.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 13, 2013 09:06

David Peel is the guy....Fantastic melody on this song also...

2 1 2 0

Date: November 13, 2013 09:31

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, that is what he says in the famous ROLLING STONE '71 interview:

I thought I wasn't on Moonlight Mile but the last riff everybody gets into playing is a riff I'd been playing on earlier tapes before I dropped out.

But that is funnily in contradiction with what Taylor has lately said of his contribution:

At Stargroves, we had the Stones' 16-track mobile recording unit outside, and, inside, we played in this huge room with a gallery and great acoustics. That's where Moonlight Mile came from. But Mick first sang it to me in a first-class railway compartment on the way from Lindon to Bristol. Then he had the idea of embellishing it with strings. I contributed the riff that Paul Buckmaster's strings are based on - that ethereal, unresolved ending.

- Mick Taylor, 2011

(A)s far as the (Stones songs) I played on, I like Sway - and Moonlight Mile because I sort of had a hand in co-writing that, in a way. Or at least I wrote the riff the string part is based on.

- Mick Taylor, 2012

(All the quotes are from timeisonourside.com)

Someone is misremembering or making a mistake here...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Keith also has said that Satisfaction was recorded with open G eye rolling smiley

And Taylor has stated that he wrote all the Stones's ballads in his time with the band grinning smiley

Not the most trustworthy of sources, unfortunately...

Date: November 13, 2013 15:53

I never believed the so called Japanese thing. It's a nice Stones myth. Fact is that Keith had nothing to do with the songwriting of MM. Face it. smiling smiley

Date: November 13, 2013 15:54

You probably find it more trustworthy that Taylor wrote all the ballads in his time with the Stones grinning smiley

Date: November 13, 2013 15:56

DandelionPowderman
You probably find it more trustworthy that Taylor wrote all the ballads in his time with the Stones grinning smiley

Absolutely not, but he did contribute quite something.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 13, 2013 16:01

DandelionPowderman

And Taylor has stated that he wrote all the Stones's ballads in his time with the band grinning smiley

Has he really said that? If he has, it is so absurd claim that it surely wasn't taken to be seriously...

- Doxa

Date: November 13, 2013 16:02

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Has he really said that? If he has, it is so absurd claim that it surely wasn't taken to be seriously...

- Doxa

He said it in a quite recent interview. A couple of years ago, if memory serves smiling smiley

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 13, 2013 16:25

Date: November 13, 2013 17:17

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

He said it in a quite recent interview. A couple of years ago, if memory serves smiling smiley

Taylor is always witty in interviews.

Date: November 13, 2013 17:18

LOL!

Date: November 13, 2013 19:35

kleermaker
I never believed the so called Japanese thing. It's a nice Stones myth. Fact is that Keith had nothing to do with the songwriting of MM. Face it. smiling smiley

kleerly from that comment the only thing you actually wanted to get to was that point!

Date: November 13, 2013 19:38

treaclefingers
kleermaker

kleerly from that comment the only thing you actually wanted to get to was that point!

It took quite some time, treacle. cool smiley

Date: November 13, 2013 19:46

Anyway, thanks to this thread I'm now totally in the Beatles.
When I was 12 years old my mother bought Sgt. Pepper and used to play it on an old mono turntable. And of course I remember all the Beatles hitsingles. They were all released when I was a teenager. But I didn't know their albums that well neither the breaking up story, neither the movies, of which especially the Get Back/Let It Be film is very interesting. I have to conclude: what a hell of a band. The Stones (63-73) are emotionally more familiar to me, but the Beatles are musical monsters.

Litte note: I always wanted those popular and cool Beatles shoes but never got them. Still a youth trauma I have to deal with. But boy, it was great being a teenager in the 60-ties and being a witness of all this. A year seemed to be a decade in those days, because changes went so extremely fast and creativity was so flowering.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 13, 2013 23:04

Who is next............grinning smiley

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 13, 2013 23:38

kleermaker
Anyway, thanks to this thread I'm now totally in the Beatles.
When I was 12 years old my mother bought Sgt. Pepper and used to play it on an old mono turntable. And of course I remember all the Beatles hitsingles. They were all released when I was a teenager. But I didn't know their albums that well neither the breaking up story, neither the movies, of which especially the Get Back/Let It Be film is very interesting. I have to conclude: what a hell of a band. The Stones (63-73) are emotionally more familiar to me, but the Beatles are musical monsters.

Litte note: I always wanted those popular and cool Beatles shoes but never got them. Still a youth trauma I have to deal with. But boy, it was great being a teenager in the 60-ties and being a witness of all this. A year seemed to be a decade in those days, because changes went so extremely fast and creativity was so flowering.

The Beatles will always be great in my mind.

Posted by: stoned5000 ()
Date: November 14, 2013 10:12

from my experience talking about this topic americans percentage wise prefer the stones and europeans (w/o uk) the beatles as their favorite. maybe i just asked too few people. please let me know your continent with your decisions.
it might have been the pop influence, that degraded brains in europe grinning smiley.

i'm european, but i definitely prefer the stones and i am only able to list to a very few beatles songs.

Date: November 14, 2013 10:17

stoned5000
from my experience talking about this topic americans percentage wise prefer the stones and europeans (w/o uk) the beatles as their favorite. maybe i just asked too few people. please let me know your continent with your decisions.
it might have been the pop influence, that degraded brains in europe grinning smiley.

i'm european, but i definitely prefer the stones and i am only able to list to a very few beatles songs.

I'm pretty sure most of the posters here put the Stones a bit above the Beatles, regardless of country smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2602
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home