Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...213214215216217218219220221222223
Current Page: 223 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: January 5, 2024 23:58

There are very good things on John's Rock N Roll album.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 6, 2024 01:03

Spud
Not sure what there may or may not be in the can...but I wouldn't mind hearing any stuff that didn't make it onto John's Rock N Roll album...

..which remains for me one the most affectionate and enthusiastic tributes to their roots from any artist I can think of.

The complete session of Rock & Roll.................

[www.discogs.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 15, 2024 22:43

OKAY...we haven't gotten into a good "VS" for awhile.

Did you know...
In 1965, 66, 67 and 69 the Rolling Stones had a higher charting single in the Billboard year-end charts, than the Beatles? The people have spoken!

Here we go:
1965, Satisfaction #3, Help #7
1966, Paint It Black #34, We Can Work It Out #49, 19th Nervous Breakdown #54
1967, Ruby Tuesday #24, All You Need Is Love #30
1968, Hey Jude #1, Jumpin Jack Flash #50
1969, Honky Tonk Women #4, Get Back #25

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 15, 2024 23:24

Treaclefingers, do you have album comparisons?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 15, 2024 23:30

Stones vs Beatles - album chart positions comparison - should be possible via [en.Wikipedia.org] vs [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Date: January 16, 2024 04:53

frankotero

I'm sure the albums don't fare quite so well! I just looked up year end billboard 100 on google, by year. I'm sure you could do the same thing for billboard 200 album year end.

EDIT: A little harder to find the album info for some reason. Anyway, this site seems pretty accurate. Look at this url and just change the date in the url for the year:

[bestsellingalbums.org]

You really see how dominant Led Zeppelin becomes beginning in 1969...I also notice that for 1971, Hot Rocks was the 4th biggest album of the year, outselling Sticky Fingers 2 to 1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-16 05:24 by treaclefingers.

Date: January 16, 2024 05:02

thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 16, 2024 05:47

treaclefingers
frankotero

I'm sure the albums don't fare quite so well! I just looked up year end billboard 100 on google, by year. I'm sure you could do the same thing for billboard 200 album year end.

EDIT: A little harder to find the album info for some reason. Anyway, this site seems pretty accurate. Look at this url and just change the date in the url for the year:

[bestsellingalbums.org]

You really see how dominant Led Zeppelin becomes beginning in 1969...I also notice that for 1971, Hot Rocks was the 4th biggest album of the year, outselling Sticky Fingers 2 to 1.

Because back then they counted a double album as 2 units.

So divide that in half...

Date: January 16, 2024 06:22

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
frankotero

[bestsellingalbums.org]

True enough, even then I think it outsells it by a bit. I imagine if ABKCO hadn't released the 2 Sticky singles on Hot Rocks that probably would have led to far more Sticky sales.

That must have really pissed them off.

Date: February 15, 2024 19:35

New album by Sean Ono Lennon - Asterisms :

[www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [open.Spotify.com]

"Asterisms, a beautiful and exploratory instrumental project by Sean Ono Lennon, one of the most creative and versatile musicians/composers/producers/songwriters working today. Sean has written countless songs, composed film scores, produced and contributed to dozens of albums - and here he appears as the leader of an all-star band of downtown luminaries. The music he's been working on for years is powerful, trippy and highly imaginative, blending rock, electronic, jazz and more into an exciting new musical soundscape. With driving rhythms, stunning lyricism and a brilliant sense of orchestration, this album will surprise and delight music fans around the world. Beautifully recorded, this is modern instrumental music at its best - a must hear!" - [www.jpc.de] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-16 09:45 by Irix.

Date: February 16, 2024 00:10

Irix
New album by Sean Ono Lennon - Asterisms :

[www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [www.jpc.de]

The Little Bang ;o)

Date: February 17, 2024 02:01

Funny video...................

McCartney's Stolen Bass
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 16, 2024 20:15

Stolen from a van in 1972, it turned up in someone's attic. Huh!

[www.nbcnews.com]

Have the guitars from Villa Nellcote ever turned up?

Re: Long-lost bass guitar returned 50 years later to Paul McCartney
Date: February 16, 2024 20:20

Long-lost bass guitar returned 50 years later to Paul McCartney

“Initially, people thought the bass went missing in 1969 around January when the Beatles were at Beatles HQ in Savile Row in central London, that famous last performance up on the roof. The first surprise was to find out that it had actually been stolen in 1972 from the back of the van, and by that point, obviously the Beatles had split up and Paul had started Wings and it was a Wings roadie van that was parked in Ladbroke Grove that night in October 72 when the bass was stolen,” Scott said. The thief took the bass to his local pub when he realised it was “too hot to handle” and asked the landlord to stash it, Scott added. “[The guitar] has not left that family so we went to the landlord’s house. The home above the pub, and it stayed in that family for the last 51 years,” he said. “We thought when we started this search it could have been anywhere in the world. So there are big collectors in Japan, we have stories come in and it could be in a millionaire’s house in Jamaica, and yet actually the geography of all of this is just a few miles in and around Notting Hill.” - [www.TheGuardian.com] .

Re: McCartney's Stolen Bass
Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 16, 2024 21:16

pmk251
Stolen from a van in 1972, it turned up in someone's attic. Huh!

[www.nbcnews.com]

Have the guitars from Villa Nellcote ever turned up?

It was possible to follow the quest to find that bass on Instagram and I must say it was a lot of fun (for a nerd).

I´ll leave it to Mathijs to answer about the guitars from Nellcote - he is the lead detective on the case.

Date: February 25, 2024 16:29

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: March 11, 2024 20:54

Ringo Star - 'Clip Reel- Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In' - 1969?

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 11, 2024 21:17

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
frankotero

[bestsellingalbums.org]

True enough, even then I think it outsells it by a bit. I imagine if ABKCO hadn't released the 2 Sticky singles on Hot Rocks that probably would have led to far more Sticky sales.

That must have really pissed them off.

Not sure how accurate those numbers are, considering Hot Rocks wasn't released until December 1971?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 11, 2024 22:11

Sean Lennon won an Oscar last night. Good for he and Yoko.

Date: April 15, 2024 20:10

15-Apr-2024: Teaser on [TheBeatles.com] front page for a 'Let It Be' announcement - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] :

16-Apr-2024: "Michael Lindsay-Hogg’s original 1970 film about The Beatles, meticulously restored by Peter Jackson’s team to launch exclusively on Disney+ May 8, 2024" - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] :

[www.TheBeatles.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-16 18:15 by Irix.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 15, 2024 20:20

Just seems so superfluous 1. to make the announcement if thats what it is, and 2.for the original to even become available after getting what we did with Peter Jackson's work. I understand having the original product out there, but it being available on the same service as this much more comprehensive one... there's just no reason to watch the original anymore. I tracked it down after the Peter Jackson one and its largely a glorified music video/concert film, with very little to offer that the Peter Jackson didn't cover better and more in depth. Like I could almost understand a cut down version of Peter Jackson's Let It Be rather than a re-release of one I don't think anyone would care about. But I guess the guys at Disney probably know better than me.

Just doesn't seem worthy of an announcement. It probably should have just quietly been made available at some point on the service, but its not really a good enough product to promote IMO.

Date: April 15, 2024 23:34

Lot of people have been clamoring over this for many years. Maybe it's the disharmony they enjoy seeing? Anyway, I'm a big fan and the only part of this film I ever cared about was the Rooftop Concert. In my opinion they should concentrate on this as a full audio/video release more than the original film. Leave that to folklore.

Date: April 16, 2024 16:47

This is now official and it will be on Disney+ from the 8th May. I was fortunate to have been invited to a screening of this film last year after which we were sworn to secrecy in case they didn't get the go-ahead for the release. If you dig the Beatles, this is more great footage which has been given the full Peter Jackson treatment.

OT: Let It Be
Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: April 16, 2024 18:18

Date: April 16, 2024 18:26

"Let It Be - At Last" - [Press.DisneyPlus.com] .

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 24, 2024 22:14

After returning from a (somewhat isolatie) 5 months stay in Japan I discovered that a great guy and good friend, René van Haarlem, passed away in February this year.
He was a passionate chairman of the Dutch Beatles Unlimited fanclub for many years.
He invited me (a diehard Stones fan) once to a Beatles fanday where we formed a two men forum to discuss similarities between the Beatles snd the Rolling Stones.
The Beatles fans really made me feel at home.
I, and many with me, (will) miss him dearly.

Rest in peace, René!

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: April 24, 2024 22:21

RIP René

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 25, 2024 01:24

frankotero
Lot of people have been clamoring over this for many years. Maybe it's the disharmony they enjoy seeing? Anyway, I'm a big fan and the only part of this film I ever cared about was the Rooftop Concert. In my opinion they should concentrate on this as a full audio/video release more than the original film. Leave that to folklore.

Agreed.

I'd much prefer Peter Jackson's team to work on other rare stuff, like a decent Hollywood Bowl, or even make the best of the recently discovered Stowe School concert.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: April 26, 2024 15:35

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...213214215216217218219220221222223
Current Page: 223 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home