Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...212213214215216217218219220221222...LastNext
Current Page: 217 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 20, 2023 21:01

I have loved The Rolling Stones for almost 50 years. Maybe I should switch to the other team the following 50. Mature. Then I´ll have a lot of albums to discover. And a NEW song! smiling smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 20, 2023 22:59

Yes please perpetuate the hatred and division.thumbs down

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 22, 2023 20:48

Regarding the new Beatles tune, Paul clarifies a few things on twitter:

BEATLES

"Been great to see such an exciting response to our forthcoming Beatles project. No one is more excited than us to be sharing something with you later in the year.
We’ve seen some confusion and speculation about it. Seems to be a lot of guess work out there. Can’t say too much at this stage but to be clear,
nothing has been artificially or synthetically created. It’s all real and we all play on it. We cleaned up some existing recordings - a process which
has gone on for years. We hope you love it as much as we do. More news in due course" - Paul, Jun 22, 2023

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 22, 2023 21:30

Hairball
Regarding the new Beatles tune, Paul clarifies a few things on twitter:

BEATLES

"Been great to see such an exciting response to our forthcoming Beatles project. No one is more excited than us to be sharing something with you later in the year.
We’ve seen some confusion and speculation about it. Seems to be a lot of guess work out there. Can’t say too much at this stage but to be clear,
nothing has been artificially or synthetically created. It’s all real and we all play on it. We cleaned up some existing recordings - a process which
has gone on for years. We hope you love it as much as we do. More news in due course" - Paul, Jun 22, 2023

Can't wait for when John and George show up, if it's real.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 22, 2023 22:50

MKjan

Can't wait for when John and George show up, if it's real.

John's voice was extracted from a demo cassette and George's guitar track could probably be from older attempts to complete the song (in 1994/95) - LostMediaWiki , [www.BeatlesBible.com] .

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 22, 2023 23:09

Hope they can lift Yoko's vocals in some of those later tracks

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 23, 2023 02:29

Rockman

"Number four and a half, Number four and a half, Number four and a half, Number four and a half, Number four and a half, Number four and a half, ....

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: June 23, 2023 03:22

colonial
I'm watching The Beatles "Get Back" DVD, must say they all love their cups of tea

Be watching Disc 3 a few more times the rooftop concert, excellent smoking smiley

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 26, 2023 01:24

CaptainCorella
Rockman

"Number four and a half, Number four and a half, Number four and a half, Number four and a half, Number four and a half, Number four and a half, ....

Four point FIVE... Four point FIVE... Four point FIVE...

Date: June 26, 2023 03:19

And in the end...from UCR.com:

Beatles Breakup Document Expected to Sell for $500,000
Martin Kielty - Published: June 25, 2023

"John had started this band that changed the world. It changed pop culture. It changed how we live and how we dress".

BEATLES document

The document that released the Beatles from their recording obligations as a band has been put up for auction with an expected sale price of up to $500,000.
The auction is live on Gotta Have Rock and Roll through June 30. At the time of writing, one bid of $100,000 has been placed. The documented is ultimately estimated to fetch between $300,000 and $500,000.
Dated Dec. 29, 1974, after a delay in securing John Lennon’s signature, the contract made the Beatles' split official five years after it actually took place. It’s signed by all four members – twice by Lennon and George Harrison, acting as Apple Corps directors – and includes five clauses over two pages of text. Confirming the “dissolution of the partnership,” the authenticated letter granted Lennon, Harrison, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr the freedom to pursue their solo careers solely and individually, while requiring unanimous approval for all matters regarding the Beatles’ finances.

Of course, the 1974 dissolution letter was merely a formality. The Beatles had effectively ceased to exist in 1969, after Lennon walked out of a meeting and told his bandmates, “I want a divorce.” The news became public in April 1970 when McCartney circulated promotional materials for his debut solo album, including a short Q&A in which he announced he was leaving the group and did not foresee a revival of the Lennon-McCartney songwriting partnership. "The friendship was still there. They were brothers. There was no animosity," Lennon's assistant and paramour May Pang told The New York Times in 2008. "And even though they all felt they had to break up to get to the next level of their musical careers, John had started this band that changed the world. It changed pop culture. It changed how we live and how we dress. And he knew that. So, when he sat down to sign, he knew that this was it. His was the last signature. As he had started the group, he was the one to end it."

More from auction site Barnebys Group, including various pics: BEATLES

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: June 26, 2023 21:04

I though that John had changed his name to John Ono Lennon. I wasn't aware he kept the Winston part.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 26, 2023 23:53

ds1984
I though that John had changed his name to John Ono Lennon. I wasn't aware he kept the Winston part.

Agreed. Well spotted.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: June 27, 2023 03:07

Man, we need a tour.

Or an album.

Or both.

Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: June 27, 2023 06:05

Hairball

"John had started this band that changed the world. It changed pop culture. It changed how we live and how we dress".

Yes, not to mention how we breathe, how we sneeze and how we take a leak.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 27, 2023 10:59

dkwalika
Man, we need a tour.

Or an album.

Or both.

The Beatles are superhuman, but it starts seriously look like that there is no tour or new album to be soon expected. But it is only 57/53 years and counting.

- Doxa

Date: June 27, 2023 11:13

mkbbcmr
Hairball

Yes, not to mention how we breathe, how we sneeze and how we take a leak.

Yes, but, of course, the biggest contribution they ever had for Western civilization was opening the doors for the Stones. A good doorman deserves a nice tip for that, and I am always grateful for the FabFour for that.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-27 11:14 by Doxa.

Date: June 27, 2023 12:22

Doxa
dkwalika
Man, we need a tour.

Or an album.

Or both.

The Beatles are superhuman, but it starts seriously look like that there is no tour or new album to be soon expected. But it is only 57/53 years and counting.

- Doxa

The Beatles only continue when John Lennon joins them, according to Paul McCartney some 25 years ago.

Date: June 27, 2023 12:38

TheflyingDutchman
Doxa
dkwalika
Man, we need a tour.

Or an album.

Or both.

- Doxa

The Beatles only continue when John Lennon joins them, according to Paul McCartney some 25 years ago.

That causes a technical problem for lesser mortals, but we are not here talking about them. Macca is so innovative that I am sure he will sort that one out. Besides, for a 'democratic' band, the less there are living members, easier it is to govern. I mean, what happened to Harrison's veto for the soon-to-be-released song?

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-27 12:39 by Doxa.

Date: June 27, 2023 13:11

- Doxa[/quote]

That causes a technical problem for lesser mortals, but we are not here talking about them. Macca is so innovative that I am sure he will sort that one out. Besides, for a 'democratic' band, the less there are living members, easier it is to govern. I mean, what happened to Harrison's veto for the soon-to-be-released song?

- Doxa[/quote]

Besides, for a 'democratic' band, the less there are living members, easier it is to govern. - Not strictly true as Yoko and Olivia have a say in Beatles/Apple releases and activity, but a fair point nevertheless.

Date: June 27, 2023 13:12

Doxa
TheflyingDutchman
Doxa
dkwalika
Man, we need a tour.

Or an album.

Or both.

- Doxa

- Doxa

Damn, there's always something new to discover about the fab 4, even on a Stones site. smiling smiley

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-27 13:13 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: June 27, 2023 15:26

There's a possibility George's veto might have been reversed if he was here and heard what everyone else did with the new technology. Just a thought.

Date: June 27, 2023 15:49

TheflyingDutchman
Doxa
TheflyingDutchman
Doxa
dkwalika
Man, we need a tour.

Or an album.

Or both.

- Doxa

- Doxa

Damn, there's always something new to discover about the fab 4, even on a Stones site. smiling smiley

[en.wikipedia.org]

Oh there is. Not just my mind is full whatever useless Stones trivia, now there is some hardcore Beatlelogist stuff as well. Namely I opened up your link, and disvered that there are more hidden Beatles 'gems' as well. But in the case of this "Carnival of Light" all of them, except Macca, have been against releasing it, even Ringo. Seems to be just a Macca ego trip (but being an authentic Beatles era recording, unlike these 'new' songs).

But in the case of "Now and Then" it seemingly was just Harrison vetoing it. "@#$%& rubbish", he has claimed to say about it. Anyway, just after the passing of George, Macca and Ringo started working on it again, or at least thinking about doing it. And now finally it will be released.

But I guess from the point of view of Beatles fans, these sort of artistical integrity issues do not matter. Taken all the time since of this band existed, the curiosity wins over such matters. Which I think is fine: it is all musical history now, and each little new discovery has a value of its own. Let the people decide what they think of them.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-27 16:10 by Doxa.

Date: June 27, 2023 16:00

frankotero
There's a possibility George's veto might have been reversed if he was here and heard what everyone else did with the new technology. Just a thought.

Yeah, that's possible. Seemingly the whole song was just "early stages" (to use a familiar description) plus the Lennon demo technically pretty poor. Seemingly those things are now settled.

But then again, we could also ask what would Lennon himself think if his solo demo recordings are to be used like this. I guess they were never intended to be Beatles recordings. Or to be released in any form at all. Like with Harrison we will never know. Or probably care. I guess the lesson is: one better not to die if one wants to keep one's artistic integrity. When you are gone, it all is in someone else's hands. It is what it is, but, you know, it feels a bit rough morally.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-27 16:16 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 27, 2023 16:11

Nah,

The Beatles are planning their big reunion gigs for the other place.

I heard some geezer with wings and harp was wanting an audition for the backing band...but Billy Preston wasn't liking being out-camped !

Date: June 27, 2023 16:22

Doxa, I think you make an excellent point about artist integrity after death. I prefer something to be untouched by someone other than the artist myself. Unfortunately this kind of activity can be applied to everything else too. Kind of scary but I think this is what's meant by saying "rewriting history". Anyhow, we're lucky enough to have experienced greatness first hand. I'm grateful.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 27, 2023 17:52

Relative to what will happen with AI over the coming years I predict any controversy over 'lifting' Lennon's vocals or Harrison's guitar parts for a Frankenbeatles song will seem quaint.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: June 28, 2023 00:51

Is this stuff was good, Lennon himself would have not kept it unreleased.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 28, 2023 01:51

ds1984

I mean, he was killed so there's that.

Date: June 28, 2023 02:38

ds1984

Sort of hard to say whether he would have released it eventually or not. It could have been a demo intended for his next album for all we know.
Or maybe he stockpiled so many little home recordings, he didn't know what to do with them all. Like most artists, he didn't release every single thing he ever recorded - especially if it's a demo/work in progress.
He might have revisited it 40 years after the fact and added some new guitar parts and vocal overdubs...similar to what Mick and the Stones have been doing on a regular basis for years now with the Bonus/deluxe tracks.
It was probably never intended as a Beatles tune, but then again maybe it was. He might have kept an open mind on the possibility for a big Beatles reunion some day - holding out this tune just for that!
Hard to say anything about his thoughts on the tune with absolute certainty, but one thing is certain - a new tune under the Beatles name is being released in 2023...over 50 years after they broke up.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 28, 2023 03:06

Hairball
ds1984

Sort of hard to say whether he would have released it eventually or not. It could have been a demo intended for his next album for all we know.
Or maybe he stockpiled so many little home recordings, he didn't know what to do with them all. Like most artists, he didn't release every single thing he ever recorded - especially if it's a demo/work in progress.
He might have revisited it 40 years after the fact and added some new guitar parts and vocal overdubs...similar to what Mick and the Stones have been doing on a regular basis for years now with the Bonus/deluxe tracks.
It was probably never intended as a Beatles tune, but then again maybe it was. He might have kept an open mind on the possibility for a big Beatles reunion some day - holding out this tune just for that!
Hard to say anything about his thoughts on the tune with absolute certainty, but one thing is certain - a new tune under the Beatles name is being released in 2023...over 50 years after they broke up.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, and I hope it's an absolutely killer single. I don't think that'll happen but that's what I hope. Even more so for the new Stones album of course.

Life ain't too bad if both the Beatles and Stones are releasing new material over 60 years after they started cutting records.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...212213214215216217218219220221222...LastNext
Current Page: 217 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home