Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Rolling Stones Live - might it be all over now ?
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 29, 2013 00:16

treaclefingers
I'm trying to remember what I've actually watched of it. I did watch the Sherwood Schwartz bit...I watched something by the Professor, and I watched a stupid bit by a comedian pretending to be on the island and throwing out factoids or something.

I think that was all there was, nothing too brilliant really.

The Brady Bunch is a pretty great but no extras that I've come across.

The kids love these two series, as well as Get Smart.

No, I mean the 90-minute documentary I posted in the Mosquito Sunglasses thread.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 29, 2013 03:02

hahaha they have been saying it since 1969 the last tour.i mean the reporters
stones way of life,will be around for many years.
enjoy while you can,its only rock-roll but we like it

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 29, 2013 03:45

In the last three or four years the Rolling Stones delighted die hard fans with documentaries and releases from the vault and reissues and even a tour.

I just can't see 75-year-old Rolling Stones playing Satisfaction. This time right now is an appropriate time to turn the page and open up a new chapter in their lives, and the lives of the die hard fans. They just don't have that much more time. The notion that they want to "cash in" some more is ridiculous. They haven't had money worries in eons and none of them need money.

Bye bye Rolling Stones it was a real adventure and I followed it for 42 years. I am satisfied.

The idea of the Rolling Stones lives in our hearts and our souls. We are very fortunate to have experienced that. For some reason when they got on stage (especially during the 'big times') they just had something that no other band ever had (IMO). I watched Bon Jovi last week on YouTube for Rock in Rio and there was just nothing there...

You are a teenager. You are in an arena... The lights go down.... You jump down to the floor level and rush the stage.... The stage is at shoulder level and you can almost reach out and touch them. True rock and roll and a sweet spot in time.

Thank you thank you thank you Rolling Stones. Raise a glass to the hard working...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 29, 2013 03:48

MileHigh

I just can't see 75-year-old Rolling Stones playing Satisfaction.

People said that about 35-year-old Rolling Stones. Hell, even THEY said that!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 29, 2013 04:26

chop
It's not over because there are still gobs of money to be made

I would be shocked if they didn't last another 4-5 years.

I think they've settled in a new rhythm, the massive 100+ show tours are gone for good. But I can see them popping up every 6-8 months and doing 14-18 shows or so.

This is a business first and foremost, and they want to squeeze as much $$$ as possible out of the machine before it grinds to a halt. They know they can't take another 5 years off again.
I would be more shocked than you if anything like this happened. As people have pointed out in this thread and elsewhere, something happened and the momentum has been lost. They haven't settled into any rhythm, to the contrary. Maybe they'll play again live, but I think it's a long shot. Five years of touring? Seriously?

Date: September 29, 2013 09:58

To be fair, he(?) didn't suggest they'd be touring continuously for five years. But occasional bursts of activity over the next five years sounds plausible. It's not an issue of momentum being lost, just a break in touring which all bands have. I have no idea whether they actually will resume or not, but at this point I'd be very surprised if there weren't some more shows--not necessarily, or probably, a full-scale tour.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: September 29, 2013 10:58

I agree something happened. It started quite well, with the US tour (music-wise), and the English summer was fabulous. Then it stopped. After all the effort from them to get going, that's strange. Is it really just the money? Did their relationships break down completely? Or did they decide to stop for good...?

Date: September 29, 2013 11:06

It had been planned that way from the start. It's not like there were more shows planned that were canceled for some unspecified reason. It was just the end of the summer concert season. I think way too much is being read into this (as usual).

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: September 29, 2013 14:03

It's over when they stop producing new music. A handful of reunion shows every now and then does not make them a living, breathing and active band.

We're not talking about a band in their late thirties or early forties here, people who are just 15 or 20 years into their careers and took a break after releasing five or six albums.

In the years to come, I expect more archive releases, some shows here and there (as long as health and public demand allow them), more compilations and, if we're lucky, even a new album. And, if we're extremely lucky, this album will be great or even fantastic.

Date: September 29, 2013 20:01

MartinB
I agree something happened. It started quite well, with the US tour (music-wise), and the English summer was fabulous. Then it stopped. After all the effort from them to get going, that's strange. Is it really just the money? Did their relationships break down completely? Or did they decide to stop for good...?

The official 50th anniversary year began roughly on the evening of July 12, 2012 (London Time) and ran to the evening of July 12, 2013. They went one day beyond with their final performance in Hyde Park.

If they decide to continue it will be with a new theme and a new album. At least that is the way I see it. More shows without new music would be next to meaningless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-29 20:04 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Date: September 29, 2013 20:11

Aquamarine
It had been planned that way from the start. It's not like there were more shows planned that were canceled for some unspecified reason. It was just the end of the summer concert season. I think way too much is being read into this (as usual).
it wasan't planned that way,it weasn;t really planned, except see how it goes and then do somethng more. The first five shows went well so they did the US tour with the finish in London. Cleraly, that went well from our fan viewpoint. Who knows how it went for the Stones. It does seem like the plans for another "leg" are becoming more and more tentative. If people think they are going to wait a year or something and try to gear things up again, that seems fafetched to me.

Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: September 29, 2013 20:43

This is a perfect way to say goodbye...

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 29, 2013 21:32

I can't see 75 year olds playing "Sattisfactio" either, but I can see them playing acoustic blues. It would be magnificent and they'd barely have to rehearse.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 29, 2013 21:44

I don't think they'll go quietly. It'll be the unthinkable happening that causes them to stop. No reason they can't carry on for at least another 5 years.

Date: September 29, 2013 22:59

Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
Are you dissing other fans' experiences from this tour, because they haven't been to as many shows as you have?

The November 25 show I went to was outstanding, beyond anything I could expect. I don't blame a bunch of 70 year olds for sounding a little more tired in HP1. It was still an enjoyable show for all.

I'm sure it will be enjoyable the next time as well.

Haha as Reagan would say: there you go again!
Proudmary was right about this attitude you have; you really are in deeppee winking smiley I guess dealing with opinions other than yours can be difficult but I hope lots of sunlight next year might help you smiling smiley...eh, or could that just be the problem moody smiley...oops!? And growing up with Undercover and Dirty Work eye rolling smiley didn't help? I see. Well ok, let's be optimistic: since you appear so desperate in your fight for recognition this forum can be your emotional rescue thumbs up !
At the same time I hope it's not a disappointment again but it wasn't written for people like you who try It was still an enjoyable show for all. to make other people believe the same as they believe...it was written for people who would like to think for themselves >grinning smiley< .
Not that I can't understand it was an enjoyable show for you: I understand that so well and in your position I would probably feel exactly the same smiling bouncing smiley !
Now I'll just park myself in the evening sun with a glass of red wine and say a well meant cheers smileys with beer

Sweet...

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: September 29, 2013 23:22

I would hope that the Stones continue as long as it makes them happy. I saw a TV news story on B.B.King yesterday on his life and career. He is well into his 80ies and he still tours like crazy. He seems to be very happy. Good for him. I would hope That Mick, Keith and company feel the same. True musicians don't retire.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: September 29, 2013 23:35

JumpinJackOLantern
MartinB

The official 50th anniversary year began roughly on the evening of July 12, 2012 (London Time) and ran to the evening of July 12, 2013. They went one day beyond with their final performance in Hyde Park.

If they decide to continue it will be with a new theme and a new album. At least that is the way I see it. More shows without new music would be next to meaningless.
"Meaningless" is a tough word. I know you've been clamoring for new songs for as long as I've visited here. We got two, one with kind of a message and they got radio play but did not give the concerts any more meaning than a chance to chill out. Personally I don't want to see them play 5 or 6 new tunes and cut away at their older catalog. What must be established is that these guys have only a few pallets on their brushes so the new songs would end up being more of the same ok stuff. Their setlist is limited by what they can play properly, there were enough substitutions and surprises for me. Yes ideally they'd all move in to a mansion together, break bread and compose an album but that ship has sailed a decade ago. Seeing them in 2012 and 2013 was a meaningful experience for me. The greatest rock and roll band in the world made me feel young again and provided me with the most fun I've had at a concert in decades, If I may add for around 500 bucks in total I attended 4 shows. Never caught CYHMK but saw some thrilling stuff. Watching Woody for maybe the last time strut around for SMU this night brought back some great meaningful memories of following these guys. I bet I'm the first person to actually cry for this 80's rocker.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-29 23:45 by DoomandGloom.

Date: September 30, 2013 01:46

Rokyfan
Aquamarine
it wasan't planned that way,it weasn;t really planned, except see how it goes and then do somethng more. The first five shows went well so they did the US tour with the finish in London. Cleraly, that went well from our fan viewpoint. Who knows how it went for the Stones. It does seem like the plans for another "leg" are becoming more and more tentative. If people think they are going to wait a year or something and try to gear things up again, that seems fafetched to me.

It was planned from around January (if not before) that they would do a run of shows ending in July, which were gradually announced one by one. That's what they did, and then it ended as planned. As Mick announced at Hyde Park. It's not like they ran out of momentum at that point, that's just when the planned run of shows ended. What comes next, if anything, I have no idea, but if they could gear things up again after five years, I don't see why six months or a year should be far-fetched. They've only been off the road for two months, and people are already saying it's too long for them to fire it up again!

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: September 30, 2013 04:19

chop
It's not over because there are still gobs of money to be made

Yeah, they know they could tour Europe and other parts of the world and at least triple what they've taken in already. I suspect the only factor now is whether they are physically up to it. They are all old men, after all. Jagger is in by far the best shape of the bunch, of course, and is a truly impressive specimen, but when I think of that recent photo of him right after a show, looking completely drained, I can't believe he can keep performing at that level much longer.

Date: September 30, 2013 19:04

DoomandGloom
JumpinJackOLantern
MartinB

"Meaningless" is a tough word. I know you've been clamoring for new songs for as long as I've visited here. We got two, one with kind of a message and they got radio play but did not give the concerts any more meaning than a chance to chill out. Personally I don't want to see them play 5 or 6 new tunes and cut away at their older catalog. What must be established is that these guys have only a few pallets on their brushes so the new songs would end up being more of the same ok stuff. Their setlist is limited by what they can play properly, there were enough substitutions and surprises for me. Yes ideally they'd all move in to a mansion together, break bread and compose an album but that ship has sailed a decade ago. Seeing them in 2012 and 2013 was a meaningful experience for me. The greatest rock and roll band in the world made me feel young again and provided me with the most fun I've had at a concert in decades, If I may add for around 500 bucks in total I attended 4 shows. Never caught CYHMK but saw some thrilling stuff. Watching Woody for maybe the last time strut around for SMU this night brought back some great meaningful memories of following these guys. I bet I'm the first person to actually cry for this 80's rocker.

I was being a little harsh. Any future shows (even if devoid of new songs) would certainly be meaningful to those in attendance. Especially those that are seeing the band for the very first time. It was absolutely appropriate (even expected) for them to play their greatest hits to mark their historic 50th anniversary. They did themselves (and their fans) proud. I am very much looking forward to the '50 and Counting box set when it is released. I have no doubt that there is going to be one, probably sometime in 2014. However, I really have no interest in any future "greatest hits" shows. Yes, in a perfect world they would all move into the same retirement facility and make sweet music together until the day they die.

Date: September 30, 2013 19:15

Aquamarine
Rokyfan
Aquamarine

It was planned from around January (if not before) that they would do a run of shows ending in July, which were gradually announced one by one. That's what they did, and then it ended as planned. As Mick announced at Hyde Park. It's not like they ran out of momentum at that point, that's just when the planned run of shows ended. What comes next, if anything, I have no idea, but if they could gear things up again after five years, I don't see why six months or a year should be far-fetched. They've only been off the road for two months, and people are already saying it's too long for them to fire it up again!
we are saying the same thing . The "plan" was to take it one step at a time before making any decisions on what to do next. We are in agreement, right? My point is simply that the more time passes, the less likely it seems that anything will happen in terms of a further tour. It does seem like the chance to build off the momentum generated by this years shows diminishes as time goes by, no?

Date: September 30, 2013 19:57

Rokyfan
Aquamarine
Rokyfan
Aquamarine

we are saying the same thing . The "plan" was to take it one step at a time before making any decisions on what to do next. We are in agreement, right? My point is simply that the more time passes, the less likely it seems that anything will happen in terms of a further tour. It does seem like the chance to build off the momentum generated by this years shows diminishes as time goes by, no?

Yes, the clock is ticking and they are not getting any younger. There never seems to be any urgency to do anything. I guess that's OK if they all remain healthy and live into their 80's. I don't think we should hold our breath.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 2, 2013 02:50

Aquamarine
Rokyfan
Aquamarine

Don't you mean it was... PRE-PLANNED!!!???

Date: October 2, 2013 02:51

MartinB

They can't be pettied by old morals of music standards. They're old men. They did what they did. It's done.

What's the problem? I don't understand. They set dates, did them, and it's done.

Date: October 2, 2013 02:54

JumpinJackOLantern
The official 50th anniversary year began roughly on the evening of July 12, 2012 (London Time) and ran to the evening of July 12, 2013.

Their 50th year started July 12, 2012 and ended July 11, 2013. If you're going to make facts up at least get the math right.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 2, 2013 05:57

what the hell?!!

They aint done, there are upcoming shows in South America, AND JUST ONCE, JUST ONE TIME!!!! I would love for just one of these whiny naysayers, who never have a positive thing to say about The Stones to man up, come forward,with head hung low, and say humbly "Yeah, I was wrong, I said for a fact that they were done, but they are back. I am sorry for being a such a whiny naysayer and I will try to stop being so whiny all the time"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 2, 2013 06:59

Of course there are new shows coming. These guys are like old ball players on their last legs getting that last big contract. As long as there is an indiscriminating audience easily satisfied to hear retread hits they'll give it a whirl.

Demand is building in Europe, Japan, Australia, Brazil and Argentina. They could show up now and mime to records and people would throw money at them. There's no financial reason to put the effort into a new, good album. They've given us so much happiness that I can't begrudge them taking the money and running. What they currently are isn't my cup of tea, but I'm not paying $650 for a ticket, so I have no beef.

They gave us plenty of archival stuff over the last 2-3 years. Amazing product they could have spread over 10 years easy. I hope there's more to come. I've accepted that the quartet version of the Stones was a big step down. Thankfully there's plenty of DVDs and downloads to remind us of when they were great.

Date: October 2, 2013 08:36

Max'sKansasCity
what the hell?!!

They aint done, there are upcoming shows in South America, AND JUST ONCE, JUST ONE TIME!!!! I would love for just one of these whiny naysayers, who never have a positive thing to say about The Stones to man up, come forward,with head hung low, and say humbly "Yeah, I was wrong, I said for a fact that they were done, but they are back. I am sorry for being a such a whiny naysayer and I will try to stop being so whiny all the time"

smileys with beer

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: October 2, 2013 11:36

I believe they will do more concerts, but I also think that something we don't know happened after hyde park. there were too many rumours around about arena tour in europe in november and at the end they ended up in smoke.
maybe money issues, maybe mick and keith cannot stand each other for longer tours, maybe hundreds of other things, but something went wrong

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 2, 2013 17:34

As long as there is an indiscriminating audience easily satisfied to hear retread hits they'll give it a whirl.

Pathetic.

So... no matter how awesome the Stones shows are, no matter how much everyone loved Glastonbury and the Hyde park shows, no matter how much people enjoyed the shows in the states... there are always some people who feel personally obligated to ignore all of those rave reviews and facts and just keep repeating their same old drivel (based not on facts but more on their persimistic and pathetic view of life and everything) which has nothing to do with The Stones.

The Stones did GREAT in their recent shows and everyone who went reported that fact.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home