Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Rolling Stones Live - might it be all over now ?
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 25, 2013 21:31

I agree with Gazza's points, here. I don't 'buy' the concept of going out on some kind of high note, nor do I, however, believe they should go on longer than necessary. As big a fan of Chuck Berry as I am, in my opinion, he shouldn't be on stage anymore.

Personally, I don't care enough anymore about the Rolling Stones to form any emotional attachment.I couldn't afford to see them during the last run of shows and even if my financial situation were different, I struggle with the principle of it all. Nobody is worth the 100's of dollars they charge for a concert ticket. I can go down the pub and watch a covers band for a fiver. A higher level of musicianship and cheaper beer, too!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 25, 2013 21:36

BlackHat
I think they should quit while they are at the top of the mountain.

Circa 1965 Satisfaction?

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: September 25, 2013 21:48

His Majesty
BlackHat

Circa 1965 Satisfaction?
End of the '73 tour?

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: September 25, 2013 21:49

RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
Crying or smiling? Hard to tell...

...Dàmn teeth...

When the concert had finished and he was leaving he was in tears. I am a very sensitive soul........

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: September 25, 2013 22:06

Despite 2007 Keith did not say "See you Again" during Hyde Park 2. Then once again such has nothing to mean.
For me it was very surprising to hear Mick's firm words that this is the last and/or (forgive me I can't recall) final Show of the Tour.

Perhaps they somehow realized on a short note and only even after that flimstrip where Jagger still said "See you soon" Hyde Park 2 would be a nice homecoming after being somehow 50 years and some odd days around the globe.
It just may have become all of sudden to much of hazzle again to start all over again. Even not for the Money they wouldn't be offered anyway.

It's a successful Story which may end at a historic site.

To me the Stones felt a bit worn out on both Hyde Park Shows compare to the energy they had in the US Shows I was able to attend. That does not mean I did not like them, but the Spirit like Anaheim 2 or Philadelphia 2 or other Shows did simply not match.

But they played save heaven and took London twice by a wonderful sunny summer evening with a great sunset. Can you think of a better way to Close the live chapter?

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: September 26, 2013 01:51

DandelionPowderman
Crying or smiling? Hard to tell...

Laughing......all the way to the bank!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 26, 2013 02:01

mnewman505
His Majesty
BlackHat

Circa 1965 Satisfaction?
End of the '73 tour?

Far too many better bands by then. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: September 26, 2013 02:06

Don't they show up with Taylor as a guest next year again ?

Date: September 26, 2013 02:45

Gazza
'should it be all over now' seems to be the gist of the question.

I'm at a stage now where I'm ambivalent whether they tour anymore. Would I like to see more shows? Yes. Would I be crushed if they didnt play any more? Not really. A decade or so ago I maybe would have been more annoyed about it but maybe with age there's an increasing acceptance that these things do have a sell by date.

I do think there'll be shows next year and beyond - that'll be the case as long as they're physically capable of performing to a level that they feel is acceptable.

Going out on a high would be quite unusual and very honourable. I've never bought into this obsession some people have of wanting them to play until theyre REALLY old based solely on the logic that the likes of Chuck Berry and various old blues singers have done it. Regardless of how they started out, the Stones are no longer comparable to those people at all. Its a different form of entertainment and I'd personally hate to see them get to the stage where people's final memory of any of them on a concert stage was one of someone who was a drooling, incompetent wreck incapable of playing a song properly the whole way through.

Thankfully it hasnt come to that stage yet - but its important that it never does.

Aside from personal feelings, any decisions like that are for them. Not us. Ours is simply whether we feel we want to be part of it anymore. To be honest, I'm more concerned with how some fans would cope with it more than anything because for a lot of people in the Stones fan community it does seem to be the emotional centre of their universe. Part of accepting the inevitable (for me anyway) has been to try and gradually become less emotionally attached in recent years.

Gazza, brilliant piece of writing! I share many of these feelings you have expressed here. thumbs upthumbs up

Date: September 26, 2013 02:59

BlackHat

I agree. Their career has been filled with lots of peaks and they achieved another one with this '50 and Counting tour. If they choose to climb another mountain it should be in the form of a new album. If not, then I hope they call it quits.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 26, 2013 03:05

Narrrrr ...keep pushin' it ... there's gold at the bottom of the mountain too ya know

ROCKMAN

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: September 26, 2013 03:07

To continue, they will need to take a pay cut.

Date: September 26, 2013 03:07

Grison
Despite 2007 Keith did not say "See you Again" during Hyde Park 2. Then once again such has nothing to mean.
For me it was very surprising to hear Mick's firm words that this is the last and/or (forgive me I can't recall) final Show of the Tour.

Perhaps they somehow realized on a short note and only even after that flimstrip where Jagger still said "See you soon" Hyde Park 2 would be a nice homecoming after being somehow 50 years and some odd days around the globe.
It just may have become all of sudden to much of hazzle again to start all over again. Even not for the Money they wouldn't be offered anyway.

To me the Stones felt a bit worn out on both Hyde Park Shows compare to the energy they had in the US Shows I was able to attend. That does not mean I did not like them, but the Spirit like Anaheim 2 or Philadelphia 2 or other Shows did simply not match.

But they played save heaven and took London twice by a wonderful sunny summer evening with a great sunset. Can you think of a better way to Close the live chapter?

It's interesting that you felt they were a bit worn out at both Hyde Park shows. I think I have the answer: Glastonbury! It's like winning the Super Bowl then someone tells you that you have to play two more in successive weekends. They should have closed the tour at Glastonbury and saved Hyde Park for next summer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-26 03:19 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Date: September 26, 2013 04:25

His Majesty
40 years of this question being asked.

so true! When I saw them in 1975 people were wondering if this would be the last tour AS THEY WERE ALREADY SO OLD to be playing Rock n Roll. Those questions did turn out to be a bit premature!

Date: September 26, 2013 04:33

In my mind Glastonbury was the "last hurrah" and the perfect way to end their career.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: September 26, 2013 04:41

It would be nice if they continued but on the other hand this wouldn't be such a bad way to go out either. Let's face it, their last mini tour didn't stir up near the frenzy we were once used to from a Rolling Stones tour and I think that should tell us pretty well just how important the band is in 2013. Still selling out mostly and putting on good performances yes. But as was explained in one Stones film, the airport in New York get's swamped if the Stones play LA,and I doubt that still happen's?

Date: September 26, 2013 04:42

JumpinJackOLantern
Grison

It's interesting that you felt they were a bit worn out at both Hyde Park shows. I think I have the answer: Glastonbury! It's like winning the Super Bowl then someone tells you that you have to play two more in successive weekends. They should have closed the tour at Glastonbury and saved Hyde Park for next summer.

The fact that they did both probably indicates that it is over. They will probably go on for years leaving the door open for future shows but it is doubtful they will actually ever happen. I can live with that. Time to move on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-26 04:47 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Date: September 26, 2013 04:52

rob51
It would be nice if they continued but on the other hand this wouldn't be such a bad way to go out either. Let's face it, their last mini tour didn't stir up near the frenzy we were once used to from a Rolling Stones tour and I think that should tell us pretty well just how important the band is in 2013. Still selling out mostly and putting on good performances yes. But as was explained in one Stones film, the airport in New York get's swamped if the Stones play LA,and I doubt that still happen's?

I suggest we bask in the afterglow of Glastonbury for awhile then call it a day. I think they have.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: September 26, 2013 08:51

Unfortunately I did not went to Glastonbury. But the big advantage of Glastonbury was the much smaller stage and at least if I look to the outtakes of both Glastonbury and Hyde Park the Stones felt much better in Glastonbury then in the sheer lack of absence of the front rows in Hyde Park. Even being close you were quite away. Having experienced the 2 London shows last years, 7 US shows this year and the 2 Hyde Parks and watching some of the takes of other shows (I do not want to judge shows which I did not attend myself) the Stones played stronger and better when they hat a tighter stage like their own or the Glastonbury.

Not only most of the fans, but also the Stones seem to get more and more lost or even tired of bigger and not better.

Anyway, despite the fortune I paid to see them again, despite the travelling between work and hit the road and plane I enjoyed every single second and for me the Stones did show that you can overcome decades and just do it better than long time before.

Again this is my personal impression.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 26, 2013 10:41

Grison
Mick's firm words that this is the last and/or final Show of this leg of the Tour.

...as far as I recall.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: September 26, 2013 11:07

Gazza
'should it be all over now' seems to be the gist of the question.

I'm at a stage now where I'm ambivalent whether they tour anymore. Would I like to see more shows? Yes. Would I be crushed if they didnt play any more? Not really. A decade or so ago I maybe would have been more annoyed about it but maybe with age there's an increasing acceptance that these things do have a sell by date.

I do think there'll be shows next year and beyond - that'll be the case as long as they're physically capable of performing to a level that they feel is acceptable.

Going out on a high would be quite unusual and very honourable. I've never bought into this obsession some people have of wanting them to play until theyre REALLY old based solely on the logic that the likes of Chuck Berry and various old blues singers have done it. Regardless of how they started out, the Stones are no longer comparable to those people at all. Its a different form of entertainment and I'd personally hate to see them get to the stage where people's final memory of any of them on a concert stage was one of someone who was a drooling, incompetent wreck incapable of playing a song properly the whole way through.

Thankfully it hasnt come to that stage yet - but its important that it never does.

Aside from personal feelings, any decisions like that are for them. Not us. Ours is simply whether we feel we want to be part of it anymore. To be honest, I'm more concerned with how some fans would cope with it more than anything because for a lot of people in the Stones fan community it does seem to be the emotional centre of their universe. Part of accepting the inevitable (for me anyway) has been to try and gradually become less emotionally attached in recent years.

This is a brilliant post. I'd only add my own feeling is the sell by date has been reached unless they have anything new to do in the future. Last year at the O2 blew me away, Hyde Park much less so. Those O2 shows really were worth the ridiculous admission price what with the decent guests, both Wyman and Taylor there and the setlist being a true retrospective of their 50 years with tracks we'll most likely never hear again: IWBYM, All Over Now, Out of Control. By Hyde Park it had degenerated to just another 19 song greatest hits set, albeit better played than the last part of the Bigger Bang tour. But I'd like to see them do some more shows in Japan, Australia and South America for those that haven't had a chance to see them one last time since the 50th anniversary.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 26, 2013 11:31

RoughJusticeOnYa
MKjan
RoughJusticeOnYa
MKjan
It was called 50 Years and Counting.....

...the money ? Our blessings ?

Plus: it was 51 when they played their 'last' show (Hyde Park)...

I think you can safely assume they are talking years.

Are you an accountant by trade? smiling smiley

OK; I'll take your word for it. winking smiley

The '51'-bit still stands, though. smoking smiley

P.S.: no, good grief - I'd be awful at that. Counting money that isn't my own?! NEVER!!

It must be torture working at the Mint for the US Treasury.smiling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 26, 2013 11:31

It may be that prior to "50 and counting" they had some doubts as to whether they could still do it.

Things having, on the whole, gone very well they might now have a refreshed taste for it,
So long as they don't wait any longer than next spring/summer, the engine should still be ticking over and ready.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 26, 2013 12:09

Not a lot to add to the excellent posts here, but one thing is certain, barring any "accidents", they'll be back, these guys are "wired" !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 26, 2013 15:48

I certainly hope so. Regarding this "going out on a high point" argument, I've frequently said I don't agree with that, and I'd also add that almost since I can remember people have been saying "they're not as good as they used to be." People preferred the earlier blues material to poppier songs like The Last Time, people preferred the more mainstream songs of that era to albums like Beggars Banquet, people preferred Ronnie Wood to anything recorded with Mick Taylor, and on and on. Just let them decide for themselves when to quit.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 26, 2013 18:26

If they were doing something more interesting than playing the same fifteen songs for the billionth time, I would definitely want them to continue, but their conservatism makes me not care as much. They need to continue as artists and not just entertainers.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 26, 2013 18:29

To me, the only thing they NEED to do is whatever they want to do.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 27, 2013 08:00

Aquamarine
To me, the only thing they NEED to do is whatever they want to do.

I agree. And for what it's worth, I've just backgammoned the board.

editor's note: second time in my short career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-27 08:00 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 27, 2013 16:06

I don't get the significance of Glastonbury other than the fact that the Stones played a festival. They play to more people on tour than one festival.

Same with Hyde Park. Of course it makes sense for them to play festivals in the UK. It's amazing that they did. The only reason Hyde Park was a "big deal" was because of them playing there in 1969. Remove that and you have what? The Stones playing Hyde Park. The cultural historical significance is twisted. Brian Jones happened to die just before hand in 1969. Mick Taylor was the new guitar player regardless.

The Stones don't come across as a band that would end their career at a couple of festivals. For a few reasons.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 27, 2013 16:22

I told you once and I told you twice...

Bjornulf

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1254
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home