Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...165166167168169170171172173174175...LastNext
Current Page: 170 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 24, 2015 19:16

Some people will have a positive reaction to the album, while others may have a negative reaction. Different strokes for different folks.
Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but it should be no surprise that on a Rolling Stones forum it is being welcomed with open arms by a majority.

As for me, won't ever be swayed by critics one way or the other (especially amateur writers on a fan site).
I've got two ears, a heart, and a mind, and I let those do the deciding for me.

As for the album being forgotten if it isn't followed by a tour...doubtful.
There will be plenty more of Keith promo business one way or another.
And Christmas is coming - the goose is getting fat. Please put a penny in the old man's hat...lol
I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of copies purchased as gifts.

Whatever the case the album will never be forgotten by me, and that's really all that matters.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 24, 2015 19:21

Stoneage
This recording will, most probably, be forgotten in a couple of weeks if it isn't followed by a tour of sorts. Tv appearances does a lot to sell the album though.
By reading here you can easily get the impression that this album is a masterpiece and a coming classic - which it isn't!

It could also be that people are excited to have some new Stones related music, and not much else going on, so they are eager to express their thoughts on it. Not to mention, the songs to many of us are very good, and for some reason that bothers other people.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 24, 2015 19:41

GasLightStreet
Jordan can ape Charlie.

“If you can’t imitate him, don’t copy him.”

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 24, 2015 19:41

LeonidP
Stoneage
This recording will, most probably, be forgotten in a couple of weeks if it isn't followed by a tour of sorts. Tv appearances does a lot to sell the album though.
By reading here you can easily get the impression that this album is a masterpiece and a coming classic - which it isn't!

It could also be that people are excited to have some new Stones related music, and not much else going on, so they are eager to express their thoughts on it. Not to mention, the songs to many of us are very good, and for some reason that bothers other people.

yeah why does it bother people that some of us are buzzed by this album

If Mick released an album and i did not think much of it, i would say so and then leave the Mick Jagger new album thread alone

But people on this thread just keep coming back again and again to tell us that what we love is shit
I'm done with this, unless Keith decides to tour there is nothing left for me to say on here
Its so depressing we got someone yesterday saying Keith's second hand smoke probably gave his wife bladder cancer, its just despicable talk and i have had enough
Hairball says exactly what i think about just about everything so thanks to him my input is not needed anyway
Good on ya hairball your fantastic

Date: September 24, 2015 19:42

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 17:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 24, 2015 19:42

Hairball
Some people will have a positive reaction to the album, while others may have a negative reaction. Different strokes for different folks.
Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but it should be no surprise that on a Rolling Stones forum it is being welcomed with open arms by a majority.

As for me, won't ever be swayed by critics one way or the other (especially amateur writers on a fan site).
I've got two ears, a heart, and a mind, and I let those do the deciding for me.

And Christmas is coming - the goose is getting fat. Please put a penny in the old man's hat...lol
I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of copies purchased as gifts.

Whatever the case the album will never be forgotten by me, and that's really all that matters.

I'm still getting to know the songs, but each time I listen I hear something else I like. It's keeping me in good company. smiling smiley

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 24, 2015 19:53

keefriffhards
LeonidP
Stoneage

yeah why does it bother people that some of us are buzzed by this album

If Mick released an album and i did not think much of it, i would say so and then leave the Mick Jagger new album thread alone

But people on this thread just keep coming back again and again to tell us that what we love is shit
I'm done with this, unless Keith decides to tour there is nothing left for me to say on here
Its so depressing we got someone yesterday saying Keith's second hand smoke probably gave his wife bladder cancer, its just despicable talk and i have had enough
Hairball says exactly what i think about just about everything so thanks to him my input is not needed anyway

Good luck in your future endeavors...smiling smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: September 24, 2015 20:03

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 17:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 24, 2015 20:07

keefriffhards

Thanks, I understand your enthusiasm and also agree with what you say (for the most part)
But it could be the way something is said and written that could be the difference between you I.
When I write my opinions, I try and make sure there's no malice towards the evil enemy. lol

drinking smiley

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 24, 2015 20:09

DandelionPowderman
CH is still my favourite among Keith's three studio albums. I keep getting new favourites all the time. First, it was Suspicious, Nothing On Me and Lover’s Plea. Now, Something For Nothing, Blues In The Morning and Illusion are the best tracks.

A LOVELY album thumbs up
Thats great DP that you love the record,what l don't get is why some here(Not You) get all bend out of shape,when someone says like me that l don't like it,is just my opinion as a fan,like someone else said before different strokes for different folks,nothing to get offended and insulting (calling people MORONS) for giving our opinions....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: September 24, 2015 20:18

Not pointing fingers, but perhaps it's the repeated trashing that bothers some.
As keefriffhards politely mentioned:

"If Mick released an album and i did not think much of it, i would say so and then leave the Mick Jagger new album thread alone".

Rather than continually repeating the same thing over and over ("I don't like it" ),
maybe a little more insight as to why would be more interesting and enlightening?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 24, 2015 20:32

Doxa
Turner68
Doxa
keefriffhards

I was speaking out against Doxa's post when she said that Keith had a dilemma in his authenticity

No, she (sic) didn't mean that. The dilemma not lies in Keith's authenticity - he is very authentic - but in attempt to get as close as possible to a given old 'authentic' genre, that blossomed in rather different cultural circumstances, and probably has died as a living genre times ago, for example, blues or reggae. When one gets there, and tries to reconstruct everything as accurate as possible, one stops being very original/authentic.

But I know I speak mostly to blind ears here - for Keith worshippers he surely is the biggest blues man or reggae brother ever lived. Forget all those robertjohnsons and bobmarleys.

For me he is a VERY authentic rock musician, but I don't find him an authentic blues musician or reggae musician, if compared to the real masters in those genres. I guess mr. Richards would also agree with me.

- Doxa

of course he would agree with you. indeed that was the point of the film "under the influence" (i recommend it if you haven't seen it). but that's not particularly relevant is it? bob dylan wasn't considered a particularly authentic folk singer, and certainly wasn't after he went electric and was called judas; when the blues went electric there were similar feelings; etc.

i don't see the discussion being about authenticity, or at least i don't see that as the relevant discussion when it comes to considering "crosseyed heart". instead it's about whether keith has anything meaningful to add to what has already been done in interpreting these genres. (i think you would agree with me). i am still mulling this over, but i think there is something interesting in the juxtaposition of them all together and, as i mentioned previously, keith bringing in his unique sense of rhythm. but now this is a matter of personal taste of course.

Sorry I was about to answer to your post earlier about that "adding something meaningful" - the part I also tried to emphasize in my review pages ago - but somehow all these emerged threads made me confused and I lost my track...

Yeah, I agree with you that it is Keith's idiosyncratic way to play, his musicianship - especially his unique sense of rhythm and timing - that offers the 'something else' factor. The question is how much does it add. I guess for many Richards fans that alone 'justifies' the release, but unfortunately I discovered that for me that wasn't enough to make the interpretations very interesting or unique. They are like one needs to have a very specific Keith Richards-trained ears to hear the uniqueness/greatness (which I, seemingly don't possess anymore). What I find myself looking for was a bit stronger presence and identity in singing and song-writing (again, for many what is given is enough - the question of how big Keith 'fans' we are). For that reason I made the comparison to Dylan who has also played similarly with old genres lately (I regret that since now Dylan seems to be the pissing target of Keith devotees). But that comparison might not do justice for Keith, because those two guys seem to approach music a bit differently (Keith relying more on musical landscapes and rhythm, Bobby more on songs themselves).

But let me say that this is just explicating the reasons why I don't consider the album such a heralded masterpiece like many here seem to do. Keith has made a very good album which I think deserves 'serious' criticism. Just trying to put things into some kind of perspective.

- Doxa

I have not read much of this thread. Neither have I heard anything of the album. But I found this to be an intriguingly interesting post, which I noticed simply because I clicked on the name of the author, not for the first time.

And today I eventually got hold of a vinyl copy of the album myself and may slowly arrive at early impressions from my own point of view. A thrilling occasion and a privilege once again, one more time, as always confronted with band or solo J or R releases. The quoted post will be a reference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-24 20:35 by Witness.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 24, 2015 20:38

DandelionPowderman
CH is still my favourite among Keith's three studio albums. I keep getting new favourites all the time. First, it was Suspicious, Nothing On Me and Lover’s Plea. Now, Something For Nothing, Blues In The Morning and Illusion are the best tracks.

A LOVELY album thumbs up

My thoughts, exactly. Perhaps some people would have wanted to listen to more rockin' tunes on this album, but in my opinion Keith recorded some of his best ballads and made an amazing version of Goodnight Irene, which is one of my favorites from the album.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 24, 2015 20:51

Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman

A LOVELY album thumbs up

My thoughts, exactly. Perhaps some people would have wanted to listen to more rockin' tunes on this album, but in my opinion Keith recorded some of his best ballads and made an amazing version of Goodnight Irene, which is one of my favorites from the album.

It is lovely, and sincere...and beautifully touching in some of the musical passages. Good music takes you on a journey of some kind...could be spirtual, emotional, or physical, it doesn't matter. It's not the end result really, it's the stops along the way. To me, there are so many wonderful stops in this album. It's not perfect, but then, what is?

Date: September 24, 2015 21:11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 17:56 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: September 24, 2015 21:11

Hairball

No, I don't expect it to hang around very long, as even a new Stones album would likely be another Top 5 debut that quickly plummeted. It's not something that will receive airplay and is going to rely solely on baby boomers remembering to buy a copy online. However, it's possible it could benefit from the combination of the Netflix doc, social media, and the holidays. Admittedly, not by much, but certainly more than what Main Offender had in terms of promotion at the time.

I can also understand fans that would prefer something more rocking or polished like Talk Is Cheap, but am still surprised by some of the reactions. Have people completely forgotten the last decade or two of what's it been like for fans in terms of new Stones music? Or maybe they're just more excited that a version of Tokyo Dome is finally coming that will have lettering officially printed on the disc? LOL

Is it really "authentic" roots music? Does it sound like an old, rich white guy revisiting the music of his youth? Is Keith Richards favoring slow ballads? Will it endure on the strength of the music or likely be an album that makes little impact on pop culture and is destined to be remembered only by Stones fans?

Hey, and what about this whole bonus track being exclusive to a retailer like Best Buy? Holy shit- has Keith gone corporate?!?!

Surely I can't be the only one to spot the 800 pound gorilla named Gregory that all those criticisms invite into the room? They might make sense coming from someone who only recently got into the Stones via the Marquee 71 release. Otherwise, it begins to feel more like complaining because it's a message board and that's what you're more or less supposed to do. LOL

Re: Keith Recording in NYC
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 24, 2015 21:20

Rockman
Prisoner of Loneliness’ by Gregory Isaacs

....Maybe??? they mean Gregory Isaacs - Love Is Overdue
which was his first major hit for him in Jamaica early 70's and
does contain the line prisoner of loneliness....

I have to say, Rockman, this post from 2013 was a great call :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-24 21:21 by Turner68.

Posted by: Jackda ()
Date: September 24, 2015 21:31

DandelionPowderman
BILLPERKS
I am not a fan of the mix of this record, way too muddy.
Probably the way Keith wanted it.

Blues In The Morning and Amnesia are muddy. The rest isn't.

And thank you, Keith and Steve, for dirtying up those two tracks!

Yes, and Beggar's Banquet and Let It Bleed are muddy too as well as Waters eye rolling smiley
I hate them ! grinning smiley

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 24, 2015 21:51

My favorite song today from CH is something for nothing - the first time I heard this it conjured up Warren Zevon for me - probably the lyric poor pitiful
me

play the guitar boy

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: September 24, 2015 21:51

Forgive me if this has already been posted- a fairly brilliant Keith interview Marc Maron did recently

[www.wtfpod.com]

Date: September 24, 2015 22:00

Date: September 24, 2015 22:24

KRiffhard
SL818
Bashlets
Hey # 11 is nothing to sneeze at in the USA. Fantastic album all the way around. My favorite since Tattoo YOU. I just cant stop playing it. There really isnt one clunker on it imho. Considering it is probably not getting any air play # 11 is awesome. Talk is Cheap only peaked at what? # 23 or so and MAIN OFFENDER did not even crack the top 50 so 11 is good.

best since Tattoo You? You can not be serious!eye popping smiley

...maybe best since Talk is Cheap that is the best Stones album after Tatoo You.

The best since Main Offender that was the best since Some Girls tongue sticking out smiley

Date: September 24, 2015 22:31

Jackda
KRiffhard
SL818
Bashlets
Hey # 11 is nothing to sneeze at in the USA. Fantastic album all the way around. My favorite since Tattoo YOU. I just cant stop playing it. There really isnt one clunker on it imho. Considering it is probably not getting any air play # 11 is awesome. Talk is Cheap only peaked at what? # 23 or so and MAIN OFFENDER did not even crack the top 50 so 11 is good.

...maybe best since Talk is Cheap that is the best Stones album after Tatoo You.

The best since Main Offender that was the best since Some Girls tongue sticking out smiley

now to top it off i feel like i should say that "run run rudolph" was the best single since "brown sugar" but.... i just can't do it ;-)

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 24, 2015 22:40

My only tiny sliver of critique is that I think Goodnight Irene is a much better closer and should have been the final song.

Date: September 24, 2015 22:44

Turner68
Jackda
KRiffhard
SL818
Bashlets

now to top it off i feel like i should say that "run run rudolph" was the best single since "brown sugar" but.... i just can't do it ;-)

[www.youtube.com]

Was Just A Gift to MJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-24 22:45 by Jackda.

Posted by: SL818 ()
Date: September 24, 2015 22:48

matxil
Mathijs
I have to say it again. Lover's Plea is among the best work of the Stone and Richards. It's utterly fantastic.

Mathijs

Yes. My favourites till now are "Suspicious", "Illusion", "Just A Gift", "Goodnight Irene" and "Lover's Plea". So, the ballads, one way or other.

The rockers I find okay, but sound less special to me. Yet.

for me it´s also "Substantial Damage" and the Ballads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-24 23:19 by SL818.

Date: September 24, 2015 22:53

the ballads wouldn't sound as good without the rockers mixed in. it's a very carefully thought out album IMO. maybe it will be one of the last true "albums" as it's clearly intended to be listened to all the way through.

Date: September 24, 2015 22:54

Posted by: SL818 ()
Date: September 24, 2015 22:59

Turner68
the ballads wouldn't sound as good without the rockers mixed in. it's a very carefully thought out album IMO. maybe it will be one of the last true "albums" as it's clearly intended to be listened to all the way through.

i didn´t listen all the way through. i also don´t believe in the album concept and i doubt most of the artists think like that when writing and recording.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 24, 2015 23:23

I've got to admit the record is indeed a grower. It sounds a bit better with every listen and I get more comfortable with Keith's deliveries and emotions!

The one exception for me is "Trouble". For some reason that one just gets more irritating every time I hear it. It's so damn catchy but that just isn't what I want cause I don't like it! Damn you Keith. smoking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...165166167168169170171172173174175...LastNext
Current Page: 170 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1658
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home