Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...99100101102103104105106107108109...LastNext
Current Page: 104 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: 72hotrocks ()
Date: August 26, 2015 02:06

Well, Substantial Damage and Amnesia together make Trouble sound (almost) like a song.
It seems the well is dry.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 26, 2015 02:08

Koen
Midnight Rambler, the middle part where where Mick sings "Don't do that".

yeah, ok. and ...Can't You Hear Me Knocking

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 26, 2015 02:09

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
The jams (Cross Eyed Heart, Amnesia and Substantial Damage) are very strategically placed on the album.

That's interesting ... but who listens to albums as "albums" anymore? It's about songs, no? Individual tracks? I guess, though, that Keith at this stage is not trying to hook new listeners; he's more about selling to people who've already been sold on his solo career. And maybe those people still, by and large, still sit down and listen to entire albums in a particular order.

This is an old school album, and deserves to be listened to as one, imo. It's a nice journey - at least for me smiling smiley

Fair enough. Glad you dig the record, Dandie!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 26, 2015 02:09

DandelionPowderman
The jams (Cross Eyed Heart, Amnesia and Substantial Damage) are very strategically placed on the album.

Of course you can talk about the ballads the running order of the record, etc. and I agree they will effect the overall listening experience. After a couple Keith ballads, I too would likely be craving something like this to mix it up. lol But you seem to come across as apologetic somewhat when you bring the ballads and running order into the conversation. We are after all talking about this tune as a stand alone piece, just as it was released, alone and naked without any beautifully constructed melodic ballads to soften the blow.

Perhaps it loses important context when evaluated that way and I tend to believe this is what you are hinting at and I'd likely agree with you. Keith probably still thinks in terms of records as one long interconnected musical statement, spends a lot time considering the running order and way the songs transition into each other, however much that has become an old school concept in today's download and streaming world.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 26, 2015 02:19

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

That's interesting ... but who listens to albums as "albums" anymore? It's about songs, no? Individual tracks? I guess, though, that Keith at this stage is not trying to hook new listeners; he's more about selling to people who've already been sold on his solo career. And maybe those people still, by and large, still sit down and listen to entire albums in a particular order.

Count me in as one of those people who like to listen to an album from start to finish - it's like reading a book chapter by chapter rather than skipping around page to page.
You get a better picture of the entire story, rather than just a few 'highlights' out of context. I still detest the fast forward button on cassette players. lol
Whenever a new Dylan album comes out (or something I've been looking forward to), I make a point to drive up the coast highway to soak it all in from start to finish.
Granted, alot of artists these days could care less about the concept of an entire album as a whole, but that's part of what makes albums weak these days imo.

I haven't listened to any boots and/or snippets intentionally in order to get a full appreciation of the album in it's entirety, but so far these slow-released teasers are too tempting to resist. >grinning smiley<
When I finally get my hands on the official release, you can trust I will make that coast highway drive, and then have a late night listening party at my studio with the entire album on repeat.
As for what I've heard so far, I'd say the songs are 3 for 3 in the positive, and I look forward to next weeks gem - that is if they remember to put up a plaque...

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: August 26, 2015 02:25

so the song is based on the break down riff between If You can't rock me and Get offa my Cloud.

these tracks are like some sort of DUb rocker tracks rather than "proper" releases if I can put it that way....All Lee Perry-ed out or something.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 26, 2015 02:29

dadrob
so the song is based on the break down riff between If You can't rock me and Get offa my Cloud.

Yeah, that's it!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 26, 2015 02:35

dadrob
these tracks are like some sort of DUb rocker tracks rather than "proper" releases if I can put it that way....All Lee Perry-ed out or something.

Hmmm...perhaps this tune can be defined that way, but I don't hear that with the other two (Trouble & Amesia) which seem to be proper/cohesive tunes in the traditional r&r sense.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 26, 2015 03:35

I like it. Actually I have really enjoyed the 3 tracks released thus far. Is that Waddy on slide ? I almost think it's all keith

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: August 26, 2015 03:46

I love it. It's different. Go Keef!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 26, 2015 04:28

Keith is all about feel, this track is very cool and this is his funk blues offering. It Means A Lot meets Big Enough meets Monkey Man a la RL Burnside!!! How can you not dig this track? Does it matter how it should begin or where it should begin? They just rip right into it. Listening with headphones is pure joy. There's a variety of traditional going on this album, quite the potpourri.

If Keith and Mick can blend their respective talents the next Stones album could be lots of fun. smileys with beer

Date: August 26, 2015 04:32

dadrob

I love your description!!

Date: August 26, 2015 04:47

"I must be a masochist or something. I bring out the sadist in you"....lol

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 26, 2015 05:43

[thechronicleherald.ca]

I guess Keith will at least head to Toronto for his new documentary premiere.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: August 26, 2015 05:50

It reminds me of Slave.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: August 26, 2015 06:21

Hi friends
I haven't heard it.
Is there any chance to get it?

mbozzi77@yahoo.com.ar

Thank you in advance

------m.

Date: August 26, 2015 07:56

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Of course you can talk about the ballads the running order of the record, etc. and I agree they will effect the overall listening experience. After a couple Keith ballads, I too would likely be craving something like this to mix it up. lol But you seem to come across as apologetic somewhat when you bring the ballads and running order into the conversation. We are after all talking about this tune as a stand alone piece, just as it was released, alone and naked without any beautifully constructed melodic ballads to soften the blow.

Perhaps it loses important context when evaluated that way and I tend to believe this is what you are hinting at and I'd likely agree with you. Keith probably still thinks in terms of records as one long interconnected musical statement, spends a lot time considering the running order and way the songs transition into each other, however much that has become an old school concept in today's download and streaming world.

I am glad you agree smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 26, 2015 08:40

I am wondering this release strategy. Surely it is exciting that one is able to concentrate a song by song to to the album, but listening to many of the comments here I think it seems to cause people making judgments, which I think do not justice for the album.

First of all, I'm with DandelionPowderman that this is an 'old school album' that needs to be listen by one token. Then the music and individual tracks make sense. This is also to say that there aren't really that distinctive tracks which could stand by their own.

Secondly, these released tracks so far give a rather wrong signal of the nature of the album. Now it sounds like it 'just another Keith Richards solo album'. Probably those who love MAIN OFFENDER find that very pleasing. He sounds like continuing from where he left us there, with those endless, groovy-based riff song sketches. But he is not. CROSSEYED HEART is a mature man's album, very relaxed, even contemplative in pieces, rather heavy on ballads, and offers surprisingly much melodical side, including some musical surprises even. The 'riff-master' is more like a crooner meets a blues trobadour, who is not any longer a Rolling Stone, but an artist of his own, not far from recent other matured up, wise old men like Waits, Dylan, Cohen, Young..

Was it that they thought, like with the Stones, that 'give them what we think they want, because that's what they have liked before'? So people want be with their initial reactions so disappointed that there is not much of an old Keef the riffmaster, Rolling Stones rocker left actually in the album? I don't know, but to me this whole PR campaigne (that what it is, right?), releasing the album track by track, sounds very odd. They made an old school album, and now they try to 'sell' it by modern means (releasing individual tracks, interaction, a heavy use of net, etc.) which seems to kill the original concept. You can't have your cake and eat it too?

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-26 08:59 by Doxa.

Date: August 26, 2015 09:09

Is Keith playing bass on Substantial Damage?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 26, 2015 09:46

mattleeuk
Mission accomplished!

And for that we thank you

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 26, 2015 09:50

Hairball
Raucous, funky, jammin' brilliance - what's not to like?
Crank up the bass, loosen up, get in the groove, and turn it up! thumbs up

Great song...you're right Hairball!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 26, 2015 09:55

mariano
Hi friends
I haven't heard it.
Is there any chance to get it?

Just go to [www.keithrichards.com]

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 26, 2015 09:57

"CROSSEYED HEART is a mature man's album, very relaxed, even contemplative in pieces, rather heavy on ballads, and offers surprisingly much melodical side, including some musical surprises even. The 'riff-master' is more like a crooner meets a blues trobadour, who is not any longer a Rolling Stone, but an artist of his own, not far from recent other matured up, wise old men like Waits, Dylan, Cohen, Young.."

I completely agree Doxa.

Date: August 26, 2015 09:59

Bobby is on Substantial Damage as well. I didn't spot him on the bootleg. Cool! smiling smiley

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 26, 2015 10:04

The riff is exactly the instrumental part before the solo on If You Can´t Rock Me.

Date: August 26, 2015 10:05

Rolling Hansie
mattleeuk
Mission accomplished!

And for that we thank you

Many thanks Mattleeuk!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 26, 2015 10:25

Naturalust
You can certainly tell Jordan was involved it the production, those drums are loud in the mix man!

It comes out of the gate at full speed, where ya gonna go from there? A very cool groove and I like it...but with the slide guitar the only real build in the tune it leaves me a bit hungry for more song structure.

Yeah it's fun, it's a funky jam, but a lazy attempt at songwriting. I can imagine this one if he would have started quieter and built it up to what it became, had a breakdown in there somewhere, more suspense and release...could have had everyone on board. As it is I like it, but my expectation of more of a song leave me slightly disappointed overall.

It sounds as if a longer jam has been trimmed at the beginning to give that explosive start. I was listening on headphones, and it really made me jump and reach hastily for the volume switch.

It's a bit of an animal, this one, and yes, it could be tidied up and made into a more structured song, but I think it would lose its vitality as a piece of music, and I like it in its untamed state. I love the way that wordless voices are part of the musical mix, as well as the spoken lyrics.

Naturalust and others are right - it isn't a song. But I don't think it has to be.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 26, 2015 10:28

DandelionPowderman
Koen
Great groove. But what does the intro riff remind me of? Midnight Rambler?

IYCRM, minus one strum winking smiley

That's what I hear too - the guitar "call & response" bit of If You Can't Rock Me

Date: August 26, 2015 10:29

TooTough
The riff is exactly the instrumental part before the solo on If You Can´t Rock Me.

One note is different (the seventh one) smiling smiley

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: August 26, 2015 11:20

Matt Lee:How does it feel to release Substantial Damage on the entire world! Let us know the prize you have won!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-26 11:22 by tumbled.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...99100101102103104105106107108109...LastNext
Current Page: 104 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2180
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home