Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11
Re: Ronnie & Rod Stewart - London, September 9
Date: September 11, 2013 10:15

Indeed, Tele - great record thumbs up

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: September 11, 2013 11:03

DandelionPowderman
It's a bloody shame Rod wasn't there in 2010, although Mick did a good job:

That is HIS band (Ronnies). Mick did a good job but the real partner in that crime is Roderick. And for all Ronnie lovers in the Stones camp, that is the main reason why Ronnie will never become a real Stone for me, even after a 100 years....he is a "Face" and belongs to Stewart like Richards to Jagger, Plant to Page etc.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 11, 2013 15:55

Ronnie to Keith..

-its like peanut butter to jelly..

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 11, 2013 16:03

Yeah Yeah,
rough Mix is good.

Jeroen

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: September 11, 2013 17:45

Actually there have been a couple Faces "reunions" with Rod- they came out and played a few songs with Wyman on bass as the encore of one of Rods shows in the 90's, played a couple songs live on a British music awards broadcast and maybe one or two others I've forgotten- but lets "face" it- Rod makes a lot more money and enjoys total control with his solo shtick compared to dividing the proceeds with The Faces. I caught them live at Maryland University in Fall 1975- even on the way down and without Ronnie Lane, it was a great show.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 11, 2013 18:08

I saw them in, I think, early 71 on their first US tour after Rod joined . . . they were still billed as the Small Faces even though Stewart was the singer. They opened for Savoy Brown (who didn't show as I recall) this was at the Capitol Theater in PortChester NY (actually they were billed in the middle of 3 bands, I forget the opener). There were, obviously, a great live band.

Rod will never forgive Mick and the Stones for stealing Ronnie from him. He loves saying things like, "we'll do it when the Stones are finished." That's what he wants. to outlast Mick, to go back on the road with Woody after the Stones retire so he can say he took him back. That's my amateur psychoanalysis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-11 18:09 by Rokyfan.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: September 11, 2013 18:21

Quite likely The Grease Band (featuring the great Henry McCullough on guitar) was the third act. What a gig- I'm jealous but was only 12 at the time so attendance was problematic...

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 11, 2013 18:25

It was the Grease Band ... great job! I was 17, had just started going to rock shows. My first ever, in the same theater, was Johnny Winter And (with Derringer) with Edgar Winter's White trash opening. Great shows back then.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: September 11, 2013 23:39

Forget Rod. Let Hucknall sing the Faces songs.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 12, 2013 06:59

duke richardson
Ronnie to Keith..

-its like peanut butter to jelly..

More like peanut butter to diet peanut butter.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 12, 2013 07:12

No matter what, Rod can mesmerize a crowd by just walking around....saw him do it a cat show at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Man's got that star quality.winking smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 12, 2013 07:37

Rod's probably not up to the task and he knows it!

Date: September 12, 2013 14:04

owlbynite
No matter what, Rod can mesmerize a crowd by just walking around....saw him do it a cat show at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Man's got that star quality.winking smiley
At a what?....a cat show..?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 12, 2013 19:23

Mac was asked if there was any news about a Faces reunion:

"2014 for Bump Band UK, no word on Faces"

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 12, 2013 20:04

it's funny how much of a fantasy land most oldtime rock and roll fans live in.

the faces were an o.k. rock band that sold very few records and just were not that popular.
now rod stewart is supposed to take time out of his life and multi-multi- platinum selling career that includes decades of sold-out tours and go back to playing with a band that broke up 38 years ago and has about two songs anyone remembers? dream away...%98 percent of the people in the crowd would be there just to see rod stewart anyway.

to say that he "brings up the faces to promote himself" is laughable.if you ask most anyone on the street about "the faces" they will give you a blank friggin stare,if you say "rod stewart" chances are they know who you're talking about.

the faces broke up because ronnie wood left to be in a better band.rods line at the time was "i cant be in a band were the guitar player seems to be on permanent lone to the rolling stones" but now 38 years later rods the jerk for not being in on some lame reunion?? come on,get real.

most likely he's just being too polite to say "i wouldnt waste my time"

Date: September 12, 2013 21:42

lem motlow
it's funny how much of a fantasy land most oldtime rock and roll fans live in.

the faces were an o.k. rock band that sold very few records and just were not that popular.
now rod stewart is supposed to take time out of his life and multi-multi- platinum selling career that includes decades of sold-out tours and go back to playing with a band that broke up 38 years ago and has about two songs anyone remembers? dream away...%98 percent of the people in the crowd would be there just to see rod stewart anyway.

to say that he "brings up the faces to promote himself" is laughable.if you ask most anyone on the street about "the faces" they will give you a blank friggin stare,if you say "rod stewart" chances are they know who you're talking about.

the faces broke up because ronnie wood left to be in a better band.rods line at the time was "i cant be in a band were the guitar player seems to be on permanent lone to the rolling stones" but now 38 years later rods the jerk for not being in on some lame reunion?? come on,get real.

most likely he's just being too polite to say "i wouldnt waste my time"

saying people wouldn't know who the Faces were..that they were an OK rock band, etc etc..

you could say that about a lot of great bands who didn't have many 'hits'

Spirit for example..mention them now and of course nobody will know..

I say the Faces were a lot more popular at the time they made records ..they sold well enough..

a lot of people will know who Joe Walsh is..

ask them about the James Gang..

its a good point though, the idea that Rod Stewart would be 'promoting' himself by doing anything with the Faces..ridiculous..

Date: September 12, 2013 21:54

Rod's the one who keeps talking about getting The Faces back together.

Listen to his (unsolicited) comments when interviewed by Howard Stern a couple of months ago > [youtu.be]

Says he'd "do it like a shot". He and Ronnie talk about it "all the time...it's not always about the money."

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 12, 2013 23:53

it wasn't "unsolicited" -howard asked him about having a solo career and being in a band at the same time

directly after that he said, by the way, that he would have never left the faces but when ronnie left to join the stones that was it,i remember like it was yesterday and thats exactly what happened.

he always say's he'd like to play with them again but i think he's just being nice to the fans who loved the faces as well as his old bandmates.anyone with that many kids has learned to say the right thing to make everyone feel better but he probably has a hundred things he'd rather be doing, but you never know.

Date: September 13, 2013 00:38

He said he'd be at the RARHOF induction, but didn't show up. Was that just being nice to the Faces fans as well?

Date: September 13, 2013 00:39

Perhaps Rod said it before or afterwards, but there's no mention of his leaving because Ronnie joined the Stones in the segment of the Stern interview linked above - and then the conversation veers off into another direction.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 13, 2013 08:49

duke richardson
owlbynite
At a what?....a cat show..?

F*ckin' A! Cat show. Every head turned! He walked (prowled) about six feet in front of me and there was an 'oooohhhh' sound from the audience. He really has natural magnetism in person. I was standing on tiptoes to see that hairdo! Many rich & famous do grace that venue...
Can't resist this pun, we all know how well Rod likes those young pussies! smoking smiley

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: September 13, 2013 16:16

Posted on Mac's Facebook

I read that Rod's up for it. Well, me Ronnie & Kenney are game, and we're all getting older, and it only takes one to go and its OVER! I'm ready, but I also have a life to life too. I'm not waiting around, I'm a working musician.
Like · 17 hours ago

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 19, 2013 13:53

duke richardson
seems like they will do this. Rod Stewart hasn't said he won't.

I love the Faces. Their songs are some of the funniest in rock and roll. and some of the most poignant..(Debris)

that band had great songs and their albums sounded awesome (Glyn Johns?)

I hope they go on a little late-life-run again.

I agree with you 100 percent.

I've been listening this today. All Faces except for Tetsu are credited.smiling smiley
Especially "Country Comforts" and "I'd Rather Go Blind" are fantastic.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 19, 2013 14:04

DandelionPowderman
He said he'd be at the RARHOF induction, but didn't show up. Was that just being nice to the Faces fans as well?
He had streph throat. Kinda hard to sing with that.

Date: September 19, 2013 14:54

crholmstrom
DandelionPowderman
He had streph throat. Kinda hard to sing with that.

I heard that, but I don't know what to believe, though.

Date: September 19, 2013 15:02

Joint statement from the RRHOF and Rod's publicist:

Unfortunately Rod is battling the flu this week and regrettably he is unable to accept his induction in person in Cleveland.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame congratulates Rod on his 2012 Induction and wishes him a speedy recovery.

"I'm absolutely devastated," Stewart said. "Shattered that I'm going to miss my second induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - and this time alongside my mates."

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: September 19, 2013 15:37

bye bye johnny
Joint statement from the RRHOF and Rod's publicist:

Unfortunately Rod is battling the flu this week and regrettably he is unable to accept his induction in person in Cleveland.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame congratulates Rod on his 2012 Induction and wishes him a speedy recovery.

"I'm absolutely devastated," Stewart said. "Shattered that I'm going to miss my second induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - and this time alongside my mates."

[www.rollingstone.com]

That was posted here prior to the induction.

Perhaps he got the flu after the first rehearsal-day with the Faces - when he left without telling the others, and didn't show up again?

Date: September 19, 2013 15:44

Mac said Rod was there on the "last day" in 2008:
"He came on the last day and played a bunch of songs. I was very pleasantly surprised by how great it went. He talked about doing one charity gig. I thought 'That’s nice. The Faces get back together to do a charity commitment for Rod? That ain’t right!' I have nothing against charity gigs, but I wanna make some money! I want to play some music and get out there and not wait another two years. We sent him a very friendly note and he declined. He’s busy doing his stuff and doesn’t want to do it. But Mick wants to do it. Ron, Kenney and I want to do it and we will!"
[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-19 15:55 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 19, 2013 22:36

Rod's moved on. I saw him at Hyde Park a couple summers ago. I thought it was a nice polished Vegas-style revue; he danced well when he was with Stevie Nicks. Rod had to keep things in check because his voice was shot - the only time he made a visible effort was when Ronnie joined him onstage. I bought his new album - he's trying to write again for the first time in three decades, and he's rusty.

There are lots of people who like Rod and don't remember the Faces. They tend to be older women who like to see him shake his butt, and think he looks absolutely fabulous in those white tuxedos.

People who remember the Faces remember one of the greatest live bands in rock history. I saw them in 75 with Tetsu on bass and Jesse Ed Davis on second guitar. It was loose and sloppy and they didn't come back for an encore. And, except for the Stones in 73, it's my favorite live show among the 500 or so I've seen in my life.

Date: September 19, 2013 23:03

>>I saw them in 75 with Tetsu on bass and Jesse Ed Davis on second guitar. It was loose and sloppy and they didn't come back for an encore. And, except for the Stones in 73, it's my favorite live show among the 500 or so I've seen in my life

I saw one of those '75 Faces shows ..then later Ronnie and the Stones the same year..

a busy year for Mr. Wood..the man is amazing..

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2102
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home