Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Curious about Keith's playing now
Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: May 30, 2013 17:14

I have been following the review about the recent shows. It was all positive. Even I am listening to those live shows in youtube. I ain't a a guitarist/ But in my ears i can understand whether Keith is being sloppy or not. Like in 2007 most iof his solos were sloppy. However now its better compare to 2007.
So how did he improove? Is it because he is using lighter guitar ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 23:09 by bv.

Re: Curious about Keith's palying now
Date: May 30, 2013 17:16

By practicing and drinking less?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 30, 2013 17:19

His playing is weaker than in the past, yet he still knows how to rock and to handle his limitations. His playing in 2007 was a nightmare, he played the wrong chords and keys all over the shows. Back then he must have been in very bad health, at times he seemed to be out of his brain. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard the first 50 and counting recordings, and I still am.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 30, 2013 18:03

what about his playing now? he plays with a lot more concentration. he has a greater sense of responsibility ...

he knows he could have lost it all after the injury to his head...and he knows Jagger won't put up with any nonsense from anybody, especially from him, after that book...

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: May 30, 2013 18:05

Cut him some slack, of course his playing in 007 was weaker he was getting over major brain surgery. The side effects of "Dilantin"(anti-seizure med} is pretty nasty, esp combined with alcohol.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 30, 2013 18:17

Keith's more focused now. As already suggested, I would imagine the healthier lifestyle and, perhaps, a newly-found enthusiasm are contributing to the improved performances.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: May 30, 2013 18:17

Floorbird
Cut him some slack, of course his playing in 007 was weaker he was getting over major brain surgery. The side effects of "Dilantin"(anti-seizure med} is pretty nasty, esp combined with alcohol.

Do you know if he is still using this kind of medicine?

Re: The Department of Historical Accuracy
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 30, 2013 18:20

It was cranial surgery, which is not the same as brain surgery.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 30, 2013 18:26

To my ears he is much improved from 2005 which is when I last saw the Stones before seeing them in Oakland this year. He is concentrating on playing now rather than posing, which he had been doing ad nauseum. What ever the reason, be it a better health regimine or vodoo, it's a welcome change. He is certainly not playing the way he did at his peak but at this stage of his career, but I think he is doing the best he can...

Date: May 30, 2013 18:48

Perhaps this is a little off-topic, but does anyone here have an opinion as to when exactly Keith's playing began to deteriorate? In my opinion, it's been incredibly gradual.It's quite clear that Keith wasn't himself during the latter-stages of the A Bigger Bang Tour, but his early performances were not remarkably different to how he was during the Licks tour. He's slowed down and he is a little more sloppy in his execution, but this is entirely natural, I think. Even Clapton realises he cannot play like he did 10-15 years ago.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 30, 2013 19:14

also to consider- as basically a rhythm player he does what he wants..

never one for soloing, but he will step up and do his best these days..

but the rhythm is there...he leads through the Rambler changes..

lays that Paint It Black intro down every time..as with the other intros..he's the King of Great Intros, on bass too

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 30, 2013 19:22

Dream he can remain a rhythm machine than AC/DC Malcolm Young...

His playing in 2007 was a nightmare, OK... Still looking for reviews relating that... Strange !

Date: May 30, 2013 19:39

Big Al
Perhaps this is a little off-topic, but does anyone here have an opinion as to when exactly Keith's playing began to deteriorate? In my opinion, it's been incredibly gradual.It's quite clear that Keith wasn't himself during the latter-stages of the A Bigger Bang Tour, but his early performances were not remarkably different to how he was during the Licks tour. He's slowed down and he is a little more sloppy in his execution, but this is entirely natural, I think. Even Clapton realises he cannot play like he did 10-15 years ago.

A very clear detoriation begun already in 1994. It wasn't the same Keith that started the VL tour that started the Winos tour in 1992. That goes for soloing in particular.

The SW/UJ tours showed Keith at his absolute peak, bringing in lots of new licks and motifs.

He is back to the Licks-level now, imo. An important difference is that he is way more diciplined now, though.

Date: May 30, 2013 19:42

roby
Dream he can remain a rhythm machine than AC/DC Malcolm Young...

His playing in 2007 was a nightmare, OK... Still looking for reviews relating that... Strange !

Malcolm is just a rhythm player. Keith plays everything, so much more than strumming the chords. Always inn the foreground in the soundscape. A unique lead guitar player in that sense.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 30, 2013 20:05

A excellent lead guitar player too (remember the one during "Rock me Baby", Twickenham 2003 ?)... Him again on lead guitar on "Little Lover", "Soul Stripper", "Show Business", "You Ain't Got a Hold on Me", "Can't Stand Still"

You're right, but I dream that Keith remains as solid as Malcolm... Keith's riff are so much less strong today ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-30 20:07 by roby.

Date: May 30, 2013 20:09

roby
A excellent lead guitar player too (remember the one during "Rock me Baby", Twickenham 2003 ?)... Him again on lead guitar on "Little Lover", "Soul Stripper", "Show Business", "You Ain't Got a Hold on Me", "Can't Stand Still"

You're right, but I dream that Keith remains as solid as Malcolm...

Keith was never solid, always unpredictable in a way. Malcolm again might be "too solid", if you know what I mean.

Haven´t seen Malcolm play lead on Rock Me Baby?

Date: May 30, 2013 20:13

DandelionPowderman
A very clear detoriation begun already in 1994. It wasn't the same Keith that started the VL tour that started the Winos tour in 1992. That goes for soloing in particular.

The SW/UJ tours showed Keith at his absolute peak, bringing in lots of new licks and motifs.

He is back to the Licks-level now, imo. An important difference is that he is way more diciplined now, though.

Thank you for your view. I actually agree with you. I was particularly blown-away by Keith's ferocity on what I listened to and viewed from the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour. His soloing during Happy from the At The Max film remains one of my absolute favourite Keith moments. I haven't heard too much from the '92-93 Wino shows, but yes, there is a difference between how he was circa 1990 to what we got during the Voodoo Lounge tour, definitely. I suppose the Bridges tour was another notch down and then the same again with Licks. However, as you say, he's back to the level of 2002-03, so hopefully this'll be our Keith for some time to come. We all know why he suffered during A Bigger Bang, so we'll put that down as a temporary blip!

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: May 30, 2013 20:15

DandelionPowderman
By practicing and drinking less?

grinning smiley

Posted by: OlRiddim ()
Date: May 30, 2013 20:35

There was a scary YouTube of a live "Happy" from the post-surgery period where Keith seemed to freeze up in the opening seconds ... head down; arms hanging loose ... then you could almost see him square up his shoulders and get back into the groove with the rest of the band. (I believe it was the moustachaioed Keith.)

Anyone remember seeing this? It appears to have been pulled from YouTube.

More importantly, was there ever an explanation for what happened? It was more than just a "forgot the riff" moment - you'd have thought he was having a mini-seizure.

But he rallied, bless 'im.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 30, 2013 20:40

The decline was first detected by our crack analysts early on the Licks tour. Licks that Keith had played effortlesssly on the prior tour suddenly weren't forthcoming, despite repeated attempts. Fans would shoot looks of bewilderment at at one another, seeking answers. Could it be that the human riff was losing his touch? Oh, dear god.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-30 20:43 by StonesTod.

Date: May 30, 2013 20:42

OlRiddim
There was a scary YouTube of a live "Happy" from the post-surgery period where Keith seemed to freeze up in the opening seconds ... head down; arms hanging loose ... then you could almost see him square up his shoulders and get back into the groove with the rest of the band. (I believe it was the moustachaioed Keith.)

More importantly, was there ever an explanation for what happened? It was more than just a "forgot the riff" moment - you'd have thought he was having a mini-seizure.

Nijmegen, Holland 2007. It´s really sad.

Date: May 30, 2013 20:43

StonesTod
The decline was first detected by our crack analysts early on the Licks tour. Licks that Keith had played effortlesssly on the prior tour suddenly weren't forthcoming, despite repeated attempts. Fans would shootlooks of bewilderment at at one another, seeking answer. Could it be that the human riff was losing his touch? Oh, dear god.

He had problems on the tour prior to that as well. He tried to mask it with playing lots of solos, especially in 1998/99. Listen to SG from Shepherd´s Bush, for instance...

Date: May 30, 2013 20:44

DandelionPowderman
StonesTod
The decline was first detected by our crack analysts early on the Licks tour. Licks that Keith had played effortlesssly on the prior tour suddenly weren't forthcoming, despite repeated attempts. Fans would shootlooks of bewilderment at at one another, seeking answer. Could it be that the human riff was losing his touch? Oh, dear god.

He had problems on the tour prior to that as well. He tried to mask it with playing lots of solos, especially in 1998/99. Listen to SG from Shepherd´s Bush, for instance...

our analysts were too busy boozing it up to know. booze can work wonders.

Posted by: OlRiddim ()
Date: May 30, 2013 20:47

DandelionPowderman
OlRiddim

Nijmegen, Holland 2007. It´s really sad.

Exactly - that's the one. Thank you.

Was that "seizure" (for lack of a better word) an isolated incident during that show - or on that tour? As I say, it was more than just sloppiness; he really looked to be in pain for a few seconds.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 30, 2013 20:53

I believe Keith is playing better because he is a lot more focus than in 2007. He is older now so physically on stage he can't do as much and I am wondering if in 2005 he was may be "competing" with Jagger for stage presence(ego stuff). Keith seems to be more relax with Jagger; he said what he had to say in his book and now he is done with talking crazy shit. Finally he has grown up and Jagger is the leader on stage.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: May 30, 2013 20:58

Also,
His arthritis has been an issue since the VL tour. Remember his comment (& Ronnie's) about 'Arthur' on 'Stripped?' If you think about it, it's a small wonder he can play at all! His hands have been painful just to look at for many years now...

Date: May 30, 2013 21:00

FirstTimeSeattle81
Also,
His arthritis has been an issue since the VL tour. Remember his comment (& Ronnie's) about 'Arthur' on 'Stripped?' If you think about it, it's a small wonder he can play at all! His hands have been painful just to look at for many years now...

it's true - i take one look at his deformed fingers and i have to take 2 or 3 tylenol....

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 30, 2013 21:19

StonesTod
FirstTimeSeattle81
Also,

it's true - i take one look at his deformed fingers and i have to take 2 or 3 tylenol....

Aleve, StonesTod...it takes care of everything. Feeling better now?

Date: May 30, 2013 21:21

latebloomer
StonesTod
FirstTimeSeattle81
Also,

Aleve, StonesTod...it takes care of everything. Feeling better now?

it's good to be aleve

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: May 30, 2013 21:25

Side effects of dilantin depend on who's taking the stuff. I take it w/ no side-effects. I'm able to drink moderately too with no side-effects.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home