Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Curious about Keith's playing now
Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 1, 2013 00:24

sonomastone
JC21769
I am just kind of amazed Keith Richards is alive. 70 in a few months. NOBODY ever thought that.

Indeed. People take shots at him for not playing as well as when he was 25, when in reality it's amazing he is alive much less playing as well as he is.

That alone amazes me every day.

Re: Curious about Keith's palying now
Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: June 1, 2013 00:51

DoughboyUK
Im probably in a minority here...but I think the wrong key playing "solos" was deliberate...
They always said les dawson was ingenious on the old ivories because he could do this deliberately and then snap back to the correct key instantly.
The same riff in a different key is not the same finger patterns as a higher octave. The riffs were perfect but not in the scale we know..
He is better now I admit.

Dough

I think Dough has a point. Keith has always done this rhythmically and had in the past for his leads. Albiet some of this was sloppiness and some laziness. Some of the sloppy ABB playing was definitely related to his head injury.

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: June 1, 2013 01:08

I know this is a Keith thread but its morphed into a wider performance thread so...
I would also say that mick's singing is better than ever. Some tours he just shouts, especially way back. He is singing great. As stupid as this sounds I thing they sound as good as ever. I would trade 10 Buffalo 78s for the Toronto of last Saturday.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 1, 2013 01:23

Bob C.
I know this is a Keith thread but its morphed into a wider performance thread so...
I would also say that mick's singing is better than ever. Some tours he just shouts, especially way back. He is singing great. As stupid as this sounds I thing they sound as good as ever. I would trade 10 Buffalo 78s for the Toronto of last Saturday.

best tour ever

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 1, 2013 01:29

StonesTod
Bob C.

best tour ever

I can never tell when you're being sarcastic

Date: June 1, 2013 01:38

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Bob C.

best tour ever

i use my superlatives sparingly and with the judicious care they deserve....

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 1, 2013 02:13

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Bob C.

best tour ever

why do i have a feeling that you're being sarcastic about not being able to tell when he's being sarcastic?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 1, 2013 03:15

headly123
Re: Curious about Keith's palying now new

Posted by: duke richardson ()

Date: May 30, 2013 19:14

also to consider- as basically a rhythm player he does what he wants..

never one for soloing, but he will step up and do his best these days..

but the rhythm is there...he leads through the Rambler changes..

lays that Paint It Black intro down every time..as with the other intros..he's the King of Great Intros, on bass too

I think his solos suck. And suck huge. They are choppy and broken up and have zero flow to them. He really just needs to let other handle the solos. I have seen some of the videos and he thinks he just snapped off a great solo but that is him. HE thinks everything he plays is spot on .

I think Keith should stick to rhythm/riff playing and let the major solo work go to that other younger Mick fellow who is currently auditioning for a full time job with the Stones in the hopes that he'll pass his probationary period and maybe play a whole show by the end of the tour (LOL)!

Date: June 1, 2013 03:17

Sighunt
headly123
Re: Curious about Keith's palying now new

Posted by: duke richardson ()

Date: May 30, 2013 19:14

also to consider- as basically a rhythm player he does what he wants..

never one for soloing, but he will step up and do his best these days..

but the rhythm is there...he leads through the Rambler changes..

lays that Paint It Black intro down every time..as with the other intros..he's the King of Great Intros, on bass too

I think his solos suck. And suck huge. They are choppy and broken up and have zero flow to them. He really just needs to let other handle the solos. I have seen some of the videos and he thinks he just snapped off a great solo but that is him. HE thinks everything he plays is spot on .

I think Keith should stick to rhythm/riff playing and let the major solo work go to that other younger Mick fellow who is currently auditioning for a full time job with the Stones in the hopes that he'll pass his probationary period and maybe play a whole show by the end of the tour (LOL)!

Once again, a Keith Richards thread being hijacked by Taylorites. There is a sticky thread dedicated for talking about wanting Mick Taylor to play more.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 1, 2013 05:00

Keith Richards - the ultimate rock and roll survivor. I'm amazed/glad he is still with us and he is still entertaining all of us!

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 1, 2013 07:10

Maybe with the Winos, he was playing alot, with new people and learned some new licks. And perhaps by 98' they too were getting tired.....and the came arther?

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: June 1, 2013 13:12

pftw04
I have been following the review about the recent shows. It was all positive. Even I am listening to those live shows in youtube. I ain't a a guitarist/ But in my ears i can understand whether Keith is being sloppy or not. Like in 2007 most iof his solos were sloppy. However now its better compare to 2007.
So how did he improove? Is it because he is using lighter guitar ?

Drinking less,
He's not on any druggy self-medication,
No more painkillers for that head injury
There's been more rehearsals
and it wasnt even that bad as everybody tried to make it on this forum...
I think he cares more about the Stones, i think was on auto pilot few years ago, with the "been there, done that" attitude..I think he really wants to put on a good show now, cause he knows that this might be the last time for sure... The older you get - the more you start careing about things.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-01 13:14 by seitan.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 1, 2013 14:03

seitan
pftw04
I have been following the review about the recent shows. It was all positive. Even I am listening to those live shows in youtube. I ain't a a guitarist/ But in my ears i can understand whether Keith is being sloppy or not. Like in 2007 most iof his solos were sloppy. However now its better compare to 2007.
So how did he improove? Is it because he is using lighter guitar ?

Drinking less,
He's not on any druggy self-medication,
No more painkillers for that head injury
There's been more rehearsals
and it wasnt even that bad as everybody tried to make it on this forum...
I think he cares more about the Stones, i think was on auto pilot few years ago, with the "been there, done that" attitude..I think he really wants to put on a good show now, cause he knows that this might be the last time for sure... The older you get - the more you start careing about things.

Agreed. His attitude is now completely different, his attitude to playing was this good maybe in 89/90 tours.

Date: June 1, 2013 14:06

Bob C.

Mick's voice is really really good and the sound of the band is just great. Is it possible that Mick's voice is being somehow processed in realtime, I mean it' s so good it doesn't feel real?

Date: June 1, 2013 14:23

rollingon
Bob C.

Mick's voice is really really good and the sound of the band is just great. Is it possible that Mick's voice is being somehow processed in realtime, I mean it' s so good it doesn't feel real?

Yes, it's been processed in realtime, and it really is...

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 1, 2013 15:29

Bit funny how everybody seems to agree now that in 2007 was a lowpoint (among others) reg. Keith' playing.However when after some shows than I'd said how bad he'd been I got all those "Keith was on fire" and "Keith was great".

That said I think they play very good on this tour - for a Stones in 2013.And the sound semms to be quite good.

Date: June 1, 2013 16:38

Even when Keith did bad shows, he always was on fire on some songs.

Date: June 1, 2013 17:00

DandelionPowderman

Yes, that's true, he was always playing well in a couple of songs, at least in those shows I've seen in video from beginning to end. I don't know if he played well in Madrid or Helsinki 2007 in any of the songs but I wasn't there and I haven't seen the whole concerts in video so it's hard to say.

Date: June 1, 2013 17:07

sonomastone
treaclefingers
StonesTod
Bob C.

best tour ever

why do i have a feeling that you're being sarcastic about not being able to tell when he's being sarcastic?

I'm quite sure I don't know what you're talking about.

Date: June 1, 2013 17:09

best tour ever. best keith ever. best sheryl ever. best best ever.

Date: June 1, 2013 17:15

StonesTod

Hi Mick!

Date: June 1, 2013 20:01

StonesTod

how about tour hair? can that hold a candle to the ABB tour?

I think that set the standard for tour hair.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 1, 2013 20:02

rollingon
DandelionPowderman

Yes, that's true, he was always playing well in a couple of songs, at least in those shows I've seen in video from beginning to end. I don't know if he played well in Madrid or Helsinki 2007 in any of the songs but I wasn't there and I haven't seen the whole concerts in video so it's hard to say.

Well, in Oslo and Copenhagen he indeed was on fire...or kind of! Also on the second night @ O2.

Date: June 1, 2013 20:04

treaclefingers
StonesTod

Surely the tour hair standard was set while Wyman was with the band. He alone was a substantial contributor to their body of work in the arena of Tour Hair.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 1, 2013 20:09

Keith's playing? Seems to me like a fresh painted total write off ...

Date: June 1, 2013 20:58

sonomastone
treaclefingers
StonesTod

Surely the tour hair standard was set while Wyman was with the band. He alone was a substantial contributor to their body of work in the arena of Tour Hair.

Of course you're right, what was I thinking.

Let's go with the Steel Wheels tour then as the gold standard for 'tour hair'.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 1, 2013 21:03

DandelionPowderman

He could nail JJF, MR and ADTL in his sleep.

Date: June 1, 2013 21:05

treaclefingers
sonomastone
treaclefingers
StonesTod

Of course you're right, what was I thinking.

Let's go with the Steel Wheels tour then as the gold standard for 'tour hair'.

too much blood has to be their hairiest song ever...and it can't just be a coincidence that the guitar work was done by none other than jim BARBER....

Date: June 1, 2013 21:18

Thrylan
DandelionPowderman

He could nail JJF, MR and ADTL in his sleep.

In fact, I'm quite sure he has on occasion...

Date: June 1, 2013 21:43

Wild Slivovitz
rollingon
DandelionPowderman

Well, in Oslo and Copenhagen he indeed was on fire...or kind of! Also on the second night @ O2.

Friend of mine was working as a roudie on The Helsinki gig 2007 - and he told me that Keith was a drunk as a skunk on stage. It was a matter of drinkin...And my friend had seen them on several gigs, so I think he was able to tell the diffrence. Keith had been seen at the Hotel bar just few hours before the gig...So if there was a bad night in Helsinki, it was a question of booze..

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1174
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home