Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Curious about Keith's palying now
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:00

Bob C.
I know I am coming to this thread late but I was at the Toronto show and want to add my thoughts. I have seen every tour (sans licks) since 75. Toronto was outstanding from every standpoint. I think that the rolling Stones shows had become too Vegas starting with VDL and getting more Vegas every tour. Don't get me wrong, I loved the shows, and most people were blown away - but the music was just a part of the show and especially the guitars were just part of the wall of sound.
Now the guitars are right out front and much cleaner. Keith's phrasing is outstanding, clearly compensating for any loss of speed or accuracy. I think fewer horns, and no rhythm via Blondie has helped as well.
For years is has been about the show; now it is about the music. Keith is doing less dancing and more guitar playing. He is a much better guitar player than dancer.

Yes!

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:09

Keith's playing changes from show to show. Not really his playing but how he wants to play for that particular moment. It's all about feel and not about percission (note for note) as Rock and Roll should be.I think he stated somewhere that rock and roll is from below the waist not in the head. I also think that arthritis could be a factor, have you ever seen his hands close up? This could be another reason they take days off between shows.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:21

mighty stork
Keith's playing changes from show to show. Not really his playing but how he wants to play for that particular moment. It's all about feel and not about percission (note for note) as Rock and Roll should be.I think he stated somewhere that rock and roll is from below the waist not in the head. I also think that arthritis could be a factor, have you ever seen his hands close up? This could be another reason they take days off between shows.

Arthritis could be a factor for what? Which shows have you seen on this tour?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:23

There are numerous threads on these pages re the " Herbedens nodes" on keith's fingers.

They aren't necessarily painful. They obviously compromise certain fretboard fingerings but he's had them near on 20 years now and has learnt to work around them as it were.

Health issues & "bump on the head" asside, Keith's "sloppy" playing has always been more down to his habitual "winging it" than to anything else.

...That and the "modern era" clowning around and throwing shapes when he ought to be riffing !

Date: May 31, 2013 16:33

Spud
There are numerous threads on these pages re the " Herbedens nodes" on keith's fingers.

They aren't necessarily painful. They obviously compromise certain fretboard fingerings but he's had them near on 20 years now and has learnt to work around them as it were.

Health issues & "bump on the head" asside, Keith's "sloppy" playing has always been more down to his habitual "winging it" than to anything else.

...That and the "modern era" clowning around and throwing shapes when he ought to be riffing !

Keith is the consummate professional on this tour. Don't try this at home haha

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:42

Maindefender
mighty stork

Arthritis could be a factor for what? Which shows have you seen on this tour?

Just saying a factor in varying nights. Some days are better than others when you have arthritis. I have heard every show and I think his playing is as good as ever. My main point was Keith doesn't always play a song the same way twice. Thank god.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:54

Re: Curious about Keith's palying now new

Posted by: duke richardson ()

Date: May 30, 2013 19:14

also to consider- as basically a rhythm player he does what he wants..

never one for soloing, but he will step up and do his best these days..

but the rhythm is there...he leads through the Rambler changes..

lays that Paint It Black intro down every time..as with the other intros..he's the King of Great Intros, on bass too

I think his solos suck. And suck huge. They are choppy and broken up and have zero flow to them. He really just needs to let other handle the solos. I have seen some of the videos and he thinks he just snapped off a great solo but that is him. HE thinks everything he plays is spot on .

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:55

Wanna Hold You a good case in point for the start of his decline. It was a highlight of the show in 1997. By Licks, he started forgetting the lyrics and losing his ability to play while singing.

I don't think Keith was uniformly bad throughout Bigger Bang. It was mostly restricted to the 2007 leg in Europe (Drunken Mustached Imposter period). Take a look at some of the show reviews on this site, for instance. I believe there was one show where he fell down twice, another where Mick had to prevent him from tumbling off the B stage, times where he was completely out of sync with the rest of the band, etc. I think at that point the band was just hoping he survived the tour.

I think his laying off the booze (for the most part) has done wonders. Same goes for Ronnie of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 16:57 by Sipuncula.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:56

He is GREAT.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:01

Some folks simply don't get what makes Keith Richards [historically and today] a magical guitar player.

You get it or you don't .

The hundreds of arguments about it on theses pages are all great fun
...but completely pointless ! ;^)

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:06

Spud
Some folks simply don't get what makes Keith Richards [historically and today] a magical guitar player.

You get it or you don't .

i used to get it, but my subscription expired and i didn't bother to renew....

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:08

Sipuncula
Wanna Hold You a good case in point for the start of his decline. It was a highlight of the show in 1997. By Licks, he started forgetting the lyrics and losing his ability to play while singing.

I don't think Keith was uniformly bad throughout Bigger Bang. It was mostly restricted to the 2007 leg in Europe (Drunken Mustached Imposter period). Take a look at some of the show reviews on this site, for instance. I believe there was one show where he fell down twice, another where Mick had to prevent him from tumbling off the B stage, times where he was completely out of sync with the rest of the band, etc. I think at that point the band was just hoping he survived the tour.

I think his laying off the booze (for the most part) has done wonders. Same goes for Ronnie of course.

I'd like to read those reviews.

Are they still here?

Date: May 31, 2013 17:15

GravityBoy

Are they still here?

Think so, from the main page. There should be links to the discussion threads as well. I found it fascinating to read the different perspectives people had, having witnessed the same event. It's like they were at completely different shows.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:16

[www.iorr.org]

Euphemism.

Sipuncula
GravityBoy

Are they still here?

Think so, from the main page. There should be links to the discussion threads as well. I found it fascinating to read the different perspectives people had, having witnessed the same event. It's like they were at completely different shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 17:17 by roby.

Date: May 31, 2013 17:19

headly123
Re: Curious about Keith's palying now new

Posted by: duke richardson ()

Date: May 30, 2013 19:14

also to consider- as basically a rhythm player he does what he wants..

never one for soloing, but he will step up and do his best these days..

but the rhythm is there...he leads through the Rambler changes..

lays that Paint It Black intro down every time..as with the other intros..he's the King of Great Intros, on bass too

I think his solos suck. And suck huge. They are choppy and broken up and have zero flow to them. He really just needs to let other handle the solos. I have seen some of the videos and he thinks he just snapped off a great solo but that is him. HE thinks everything he plays is spot on .

To ask Keith Richards not to bother with Chuck Berry solos anymore is the same as asking rock'n'roll to die, imo...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:22

pftw04, suggest you edit your first post to fix the misspelling (playing not palying)

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 31, 2013 18:47

DandelionPowderman

To ask Keith Richards not to bother with Chuck Berry solos anymore is the same as asking rock'n'roll to die, imo...

Here, here! Let's not forget that it was Keith's Berry-influenced licks that gained him the plaudits in the first place. In a way, he's reverted to his very early playing-style of late. His playing with Clapton recently was superb, in my opinion. I'd like the old rhythm monster back for sure, but I'll take what we have now. Neighbours on the Licks Tour was particularly memorable for Keith's wonderful Berry-style.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 31, 2013 21:06

Bob C.
I know I am coming to this thread late but I was at the Toronto show and want to add my thoughts. I have seen every tour (sans licks) since 75. Toronto was outstanding from every standpoint. I think that the rolling Stones shows had become too Vegas starting with VDL and getting more Vegas every tour. Don't get me wrong, I loved the shows, and most people were blown away - but the music was just a part of the show and especially the guitars were just part of the wall of sound.
Now the guitars are right out front and much cleaner. Keith's phrasing is outstanding, clearly compensating for any loss of speed or accuracy. I think fewer horns, and no rhythm via Blondie has helped as well.
For years is has been about the show; now it is about the music. Keith is doing less dancing and more guitar playing. He is a much better guitar player than dancer.

Yes!

This is consisent with my experience in Oakland. They are certainly past their prime but far better than they have been, and they are taking their playing seriously, and the show was a blast. Keith's playing was strong, and certainly far better than I expected, and his 2 numbers in particular were very well done, far better than in recent memory.

Date: May 31, 2013 21:25

sonomastone
Bob C.

Yes!

This is consisent with my experience in Oakland. They are certainly past their prime but far better than they have been, and they are taking their playing seriously, and the show was a blast. Keith's playing was strong, and certainly far better than I expected, and his 2 numbers in particular were very well done, far better than in recent memory.

So this is best best tour since 82???????

Date: May 31, 2013 21:28

best tour ever

Date: May 31, 2013 21:30

Maindefender
sonomastone
Bob C.

Yes!

The only other shows I've seen were '89. I liked this better than '89 mostly because Mick is taking the music more seriously, there's less 'production', and the guitars are louder.

Date: May 31, 2013 21:33

sonomastone
Maindefender
sonomastone
Bob C.

Yes!

The only other shows I've seen were '89. I liked this better than '89 mostly because Mick is taking the music more seriously, there's less 'production', and the guitars are louder.

24 years later..........

Date: May 31, 2013 21:34

schillid
pftw04, suggest you edit your first post to fix the misspelling (playing not palying)

I heard Keith has been palying around with Mick as of late, and that is certainly a curious and most welcome development.

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: May 31, 2013 22:03

Im probably in a minority here...but I think the wrong key playing "solos" was deliberate...
They always said les dawson was ingenious on the old ivories because he could do this deliberately and then snap back to the correct key instantly.
The same riff in a different key is not the same finger patterns as a higher octave. The riffs were perfect but not in the scale we know..
He is better now I admit.

Dough

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 31, 2013 22:03

StonesTod
best tour ever

Legendary! Keith is on fire, don't get too close or you might get burned.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 31, 2013 22:06

andrewt
StonesTod
best tour ever

Charlie needs a fire suit ...

Date: May 31, 2013 22:26

Munichhilton
andrewt
StonesTod
best tour ever

the don't fire on the drummer - they fire on all cylinders. sheesh. get with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 22:26 by StonesTod.

Date: May 31, 2013 22:55

Munichhilton
andrewt
StonesTod
best tour ever

lol

Re: Curious about Keith's playing now
Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 23:42

I am just kind of amazed Keith Richards is alive. 70 in a few months. NOBODY ever thought that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 23:44 by JC21769.

Re: Curious about Keith's playing now
Date: June 1, 2013 00:05

JC21769
I am just kind of amazed Keith Richards is alive. 70 in a few months. NOBODY ever thought that.

Indeed. People take shots at him for not playing as well as when he was 25, when in reality it's amazing he is alive much less playing as well as he is.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 967
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home