Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 36
Re: The Greatest Ron Wood Solos
Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: May 3, 2014 18:16

DandelionPowderman

They simplest way of playing rock is making a total distinction between lead and strumming. Just saying...

Ronnie did it well... grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-03 18:18 by Powerage.

Date: May 3, 2014 18:31

Luckily, he didn't have to smiling smiley

Date: May 3, 2014 18:36

It's funny that three or four posters keep on posting numerous times that they don't like Ronnie's solos in this thread. Do you hope that people will convert, or what? Almost like missionaries. Make a Taylor thread, because I will keep on posting great Ronnie-solos that fans enjoy smiling smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 3, 2014 18:47

DandelionPowderman
It's funny that three or four posters keep on posting numerous times that they don't like Ronnie's solos in this thread. Do you hope that people will convert, or what? Almost like missionaries. Make a Taylor thread, because I will keep on posting great Ronnie-solos that fans enjoy smiling smiley

It's a forum. Whatever one posts invites discussion and debate. The same logic can be applied to you. No matter how many times you post some of these solos, it doesn't make them better, and you probably haven't "converted" anybody.

Date: May 3, 2014 18:53

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

It's a forum. Whatever one posts invites discussion and debate. The same logic can be applied to you. No matter how many times you post some of these solos, it doesn't make them better, and you probably haven't "converted" anybody.

Converting isn't the purpose here, posting solos you like is.

You telling me what I shouldn't like just isn't part of the deal here.

You know I won't run from a good ol' debate, but this thread is about what the poster thinks are great solos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-03 18:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 3, 2014 19:29

DandelionPowderman

You know I won't run from a good ol' debate, but this thread is about what the poster thinks are great solos./b]

Quick, everyone, post as many Mick Taylor videos in this thread as you can.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 3, 2014 19:35

68to72

The Taylor/Wood show....... Wonderful.

It has been pointed out on here more than a few times how well they play together free from the Jagger/Richards restraints.

It makes the endless, who's better, Taylor or Wood debates, pointless when you see them play together like this

It makes it even more of a shame that they dont/cant play together like this with the Stones......... For a full show!

The Taylor/Wood show...yes... but that rhythm section, man! Damn, it looks and sounds cool having those two guys backing them up! Actually I don't miss the Twins at all, when listening to that band. Well, okay, perhaps Jagger could handle the vocals...

- Doxa

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: May 3, 2014 20:02

Doxa
68to72

The Taylor/Wood show....... Wonderful.

It has been pointed out on here more than a few times how well they play together free from the Jagger/Richards restraints.

It makes the endless, who's better, Taylor or Wood debates, pointless when you see them play together like this

It makes it even more of a shame that they dont/cant play together like this with the Stones......... For a full show!

The Taylor/Wood show...yes... but that rhythm section, man! Damn, it looks and sounds cool having those two guys backing them up! Actually I don't miss the Twins at all, when listening to that band. Well, okay, perhaps Jagger could handle the vocals...

- Doxa

Ooops! Shame on me for failing to mention the endlessly wonderful Watts and Wyman powerhouse rhythm section backing them

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 3, 2014 20:16

DandelionPowderman
Do you hope that people will convert, or what? Almost like missionaries.

I do like your irony.

Date: May 3, 2014 20:27

Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman

You know I won't run from a good ol' debate, but this thread is about what the poster thinks are great solos./b]

Within the thread topic, of course.

Beware, if you haven't been here long you probably don't know what I'm capable of in Taylor-threads >grinning smiley<

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 3, 2014 20:30

DandelionPowderman
Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman

Within the thread topic, of course.

Beware, if you haven't been here long you probably don't know what I'm capable of in Taylor-threads >grinning smiley<

You can do what you want. He's untouchable. cool smiley

Date: May 3, 2014 20:31

Stonesburst? grinning smiley

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: May 3, 2014 23:22

I have to agree with Dandelionpowderman, this thread was not "lets compare..." that has been done to death. This thread did not ask, "What do you think of Ron Wood's Solos." This thread was about appreciation of the work done by a man. If there is NOTHING you like then why bother? It's like going on a wine tasting tour and at the Winery bitching that there has never been a vintage you've enjoyed, you are a bourbon man. Now that is your right to do, but after a while you are going to begin to get on the nerves of everyone else around you who are at the winery for a different reason. I respect that anti-Wood fans, like the one who even had to drag down his paintings, have an opinion and their right to state it, I just wish for once they would realize this is might not be the most appropriate venue. Its especially irritating when they keep pounding the rest of us over the head with their views that we don't know what we are talking about, that our ears are deaf, that we don't understand the blues, or even music. I do not understand why they cannot accept that some of us like what we hear from Mr. Wood ( many of us like Taylor also). We just wanted a thread where we can share our enthusiasm. It's not only that they don't enjoy what we hear, its the condescending attitude that Ron is so talentless and the not so subtle inference that if we can't see that we must be tasteless clods one step above beating out rhythms on rotting jungle logs. Thank you , everyone one of you, that has expressed your opinion that you don't like Ron's guitar playing, his words, his painting, some of you probably don't ;ike his nose or hair, thank you for expressing your self, its nice to know that the world is made up of different points of view, Now can you just leave the rest of us clueless bastards who want to enjoy a thread about what we like about Ronnie without educating us how wrong we are? You know what, I bet you can't. I bet that you people could not even let one single page stand on its own praising Ron Wood without jumping in to say something negative.angry smiley

Date: May 3, 2014 23:29

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

You know I won't run from a good ol' debate, but this thread is about what the poster thinks are great solos.

I have never told you what you shouldn't like, only why I agree or disagree.

Date: May 3, 2014 23:53

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

I have never told you what you shouldn't like, only why I agree or disagree.

That's correct, YOU haven't, but there are enough of them that did smiling smiley

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: May 3, 2014 23:54

Yes, the Stones have suffered for a lack of an elite soloist for nearly 40 years. But let us be truthful, plenty of supposedly 'classic' songs as well as supposedly 'great' guitarists are really overrated and for the most part tripe. For example, B.B. King; say what you will about how much of an iconic blues player he's 'supposed' to be... but could you envision him playing on 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'? I can't. BB KIng has never played any of the exotic scales that Mick Taylor uses. And BB would be just laughable on 'Time Waits For No One'.

As for songs, take the Staples 'I'll Take You There'. When I hear Eddie Hinton's solo I think to myself, 'imagine what Eric Clapton or Mick Taylor could've done?'. better than that I'm sure. That solo is also out of tune (I know this because I have a good ear...I can read music and used to play the violin). Steve Cropper is another guy who for the most part couldn't play !#%#. That 'Green Onions' solo with its pentatonic root positions and faux Chuck Berry garbage sounds like a kid with ADHD to me. It's loopy.

To get back on topic...'Beast Of Burden' is a good song but in the end it too suffers from the want of a good solo. Wood is stuck in his major pentatonic box and because he so obviously not studied in the blues form (unlike someone like Mick Taylor - who is.. AND has many other scales to cull from) the solo and fills fall flat.

I noticed Bobby Womack playing with Wood on Big Boss Man. Bobby Womack...yet another ersatz 'bluesman'. I can't imagine him playing all those exotic scales (steeped in studied blues) that Mick Taylor plays on the outro's of the live 'Steet Fighting Man(s)'..what a cluster $%@* that would be.

This is how it is done
[www.youtube.com]

2:42 to 3:00 guitaristic virtuosity unlike our world has ever heard - procul dubio. Taylor's jaw dropping funk (steeped in learned blues) from 3:12 to 3:24 makes Jimmy Nolen sound like John Denver. Jagger cues Mick Taylor at 3:39 and what follows is so brilliant...well, there are no words. The latter passage reaches its apex with a stunning combination notes from 4:08 to 4:11 that are probably still resonating around the O2 (I made those three seconds my ringtone)

Date: May 3, 2014 23:59

TonyMo
Yes, the Stones have suffered for a lack of an elite soloist for nearly 40 years. But let us be truthful, plenty of supposedly 'classic' songs as well as supposedly 'great' guitarists are really overrated and for the most part tripe. For example, B.B. King; say what you will about how much of an iconic blues player he's 'supposed' to be... but could you envision him playing on 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'? I can't. BB KIng has never played any of the exotic scales that Mick Taylor uses. And BB would be just laughable on 'Time Waits For No One'.

As for songs, take the Staples 'I'll Take You There'. When I hear Eddie Hinton's solo I think to myself, 'imagine what Eric Clapton or Mick Taylor could've done?'. better than that I'm sure. That solo is also out of tune (I know this because I have a good ear...I can read music and used to play the violin). Steve Cropper is another guy who for the most part couldn't play !#%#. That 'Green Onions' solo with its pentatonic root positions and faux Chuck Berry garbage sounds like a kid with ADHD to me. It's loopy.

To get back on topic...'Beast Of Burden' is a good song but in the end it too suffers from the want of a good solo. Wood is stuck in his major pentatonic box and because he so obviously not studied in the blues form (unlike someone like Mick Taylor - who is.. AND has many other scales to cull from) the solo and fills fall flat.

I noticed Bobby Womack playing with Wood on Big Boss Man. Bobby Womack...yet another ersatz 'bluesman'. I can't imagine him playing all those exotic scales (steeped in studied blues) that Mick Taylor plays on the outro's of the live 'Steet Fighting Man(s)'..what a cluster $%@* that would be.

This is how it is done
[www.youtube.com]

2:42 to 3:00 guitaristic virtuosity unlike our world has ever heard - procul dubio. Taylor's jaw dropping funk (steeped in learned blues) from 3:12 to 3:24 makes Jimmy Nolen sound like John Denver. Jagger cues Mick Taylor at 3:39 and what follows is so brilliant...well, there are no words. The latter passage reaches its apex with a stunning combination notes from 4:08 to 4:11 that are probably still resonating around the O2 (I made those three seconds my ringtone)

Steve Cropper could do more with three notes than most of those guys could do with a hundred. He is a total original, and a perfect example of why elegance and simplicity are as valued in a group setting as technical skills. Can you seriosly imagine someone different on a Booker T & The MGs or Sam & Dave record? I can't. Green Onions is uttelry original, and if his playing is "loopy", then I love loopy.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 4, 2014 00:01

Ronnie is by far the most underrated guitarist in rocknroll history. I would love to have a beer with him in my lifetime.

Date: May 4, 2014 00:14

71Tele
TonyMo

This is how it is done
[www.youtube.com]

Steve Cropper could do more with three notes than most of those guys could do with a hundred. He is a total original, and a perfect example of why elegance and simplicity are as valued in a group setting as technical skills. Can you seriosly imagine someone different on a Booker T & The MGs or Sam & Dave record? I can't. Green Onions is uttelry original, and if his playing is "loopy", then I love loopy.

+1

Date: May 4, 2014 00:17

TonyMo sounds like happy version of OpenG. Where are you btw, Alan? We miss you here. I'm still listening to the Taylor/Keith-bootleg you gave me smileys with beer

Date: May 4, 2014 00:20

flacnvinyl
Ronnie is by far the most underrated guitarist in rocknroll history. I would love to have a beer with him in my lifetime.

Musicians love him, Drake. I was touring with two rather well-known musicians who specifically asked for Ronnie-era Stones in the tour bus smiling smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 4, 2014 01:29

Taylor is a skilled guitar player. That's why he got the job. He was a great guitarist.

When we watch videos of Taylor with the band now, we're watching a guy who hasnt even had time to rehearse with them and who isnt used to being onstage infront of a huge audience (since 1973). But he delievered and we discuss which one is the best and we hope for more because we know what the guy is/was capable of. Greatness. Pure magic. Stuff that will make one shut up and just listen and adore the magic they created.

This is not the best verison of Dice or maybe it is. It's just one of the many great versions. And the last time they did this song great. No, they never repeated this, they never recreated anything similar with Ronnie or anybody else. What he does here is neccesary for the song. He adds something. That has never happened after 1973.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-04 01:30 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: May 4, 2014 01:33

Date: May 4, 2014 01:40

Here's Ronnie trying to copy Taylor during the outro.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 4, 2014 01:57

Strange.

I click on a thread that should be about Ron Wood solos, and we have posters like Redhotcarpet raving on about Taylor again and again like his bloody life depends on it.

Date: May 4, 2014 02:01

And posters like Bastion moaning about the thread. But please post a great Ronnie solo. Post em if you got em.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-04 02:02 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: May 4, 2014 02:04

LOL I win the bet, Hell they couldn't stop being critical for 3 posts let alone a whole page. And for the guy that apologizes for Taylor by saying he is under rehearsed, Taylor is doing fine and needs no apologies. And if he did, he has been playing the same two songs now show after show for over 35 shows since the O2 50 and Counting, so if that ain't enough practice, how hot of an ace is he?

Date: May 4, 2014 02:15

Ronnie practices with the band and has toured with the band since 1975. Taylor hasnt. I think theres a misunderstanding in the thread. I'm not participating in a contest, Im debating. This is not sports. LYL is one of my favourite albums. I enjoy many contributions by Ronnie, esp. in the 70s. Both playing and songwriting (Hey Negrita riff, Shattered riff). Taylor is still a much much much better guitarist, not just solos, everything, licks rhythm, fills, songwriting (cowriting with the Stones).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-04 02:16 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 4, 2014 03:33

DandelionPowderman
Stonesburst? grinning smiley

Hello?

Date: May 4, 2014 06:24

Redhotcarpet
Here's Ronnie trying to copy Taylor during the outro.

Not the same as '72 / '73 but the Detroit '78 rendition of Tumbling Dice is pretty solid.

Forget the Tempe '81 Tumbling Dice (as well as the Tempe performance of Let it Bleed) .

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1189
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home