Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 36
Re: The Greatest Ron Wood Solos
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 1, 2014 07:06

Guitar guys.... "Stay With Me"... Is Ronnies' part open tuning?video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: May 1, 2014 08:34

Open E.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 1, 2014 09:22

Maggie Mae-

Genious found in simplicity.

Date: May 1, 2014 09:52

71Tele
This was, is, and always will be the greatest Ron Wood solo. Not necessarily this particualr performance but the solo on this song. This was Ronnie Lane's last gig with the Faces, by the way.

It's good to see that you can appreciate an other type of greatness when it comes to solo guitar playing.

This has been my point in numerous debates.

I'd Rather Go Blind would be my favourite from his time in the Faces, though - or his meddley.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: May 1, 2014 10:25

Dont' worry, I perfectly understand.smoking smiley
I just know that only Woody solos since 25 years can really hurt my ears...
However, I think he was quite a decent soloiste before with the Stones, and quite good in the Faces...

DandelionPowderman
That's right, Powerage (even though you don't understand it yourself, obviously). There is no reason for any comparison. None at all...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-01 10:29 by Powerage.

Date: May 1, 2014 11:15

Powerage
Dont' worry, I perfectly understand.smoking smiley
I just know that only Woody solos since 25 years can really hurt my ears...
However, I think he was quite a decent soloiste before with the Stones, and quite good in the Faces...

DandelionPowderman
That's right, Powerage (even though you don't understand it yourself, obviously). There is no reason for any comparison. None at all...

I feel sorry for you, and the fact that you can't enjoy your favourite band anymore.

Why do you post in this thread, then, if you find it unpleasant to listen to shows like Atlantic City, Brixton 95 or 7th Of July?

I thought this was a thread about Ronnie's greatest solos, not your personal need to promote yourself and belittling others... smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-01 11:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 1, 2014 11:24

I don't, I just say that I prefer Mick Taylor solos and the Stones with him.
I saw the Stones live 8 times, and Paris Longchamps (1995) was really great !
I belittle no one, I only express my tastes : on record and on stage, the Stones were better with Mick Taylor. smileys with beer

And I really enjoy AC 1989 show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-01 11:26 by Powerage.

Date: May 1, 2014 11:31

Still your ears get hurt...

Date: May 1, 2014 11:43

Not always... I exaggerated.
I never criticized those who here prefer Ronnie playing.
But, yes, I have difficulies with Ronnie solos when I bear in mind Mick Taylor ones. I do not think I am the only one on this board...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-01 11:49 by Powerage.

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: May 1, 2014 12:55

Chris Fountain
Maggie Mae-

I would argue that there is mostly no genius in simplicity. Just compare the Maggie May solo to Mick taylor's godly Street Fighting Man outro solo from Brussels back in 1973. I'm pretty sure he's using scales that, were they mathmaticized, would doubtless make an Einsteinian equation. Sure, everyone remembers the Maggie May solo...and could doubtless whistle it, but you could never hope to whistle Mick Taylor's solo on that Street Fighting Man outro unless you were a virtuoso whistler like Roger Miller...may he rest in peace...and I'll bet Roger Miller wouldn't have dared tried it.

Date: May 1, 2014 13:02

I do believe that there are GREAT Ron Wood solos. And I'm a musician too, a realist also - and on so many levels Taylor is in a different league from Wood. not only technically better, but creatively. His solos are iconic; you can remember them. they have their own melody; thye have a beginning, an end - an arc. they make sense, one could say.
Ronnie's solos, very often, are thrashing in vaguely the correct key. This is Ron's huge weakness; in music, in interviews, his lyrics, his painting: he doesn't make a statement. He knows this about himself. Often has he said that he likes making the frontman look good; that is his job. IMO he has taken this philosophy too far because he applies it to too much.
Someone like Keith is just as comfortable leading, as he is defering. he knows (or he KNEW) when to step into each role. Ron is the ultimate No 2. Even with the New Barbarians one got the notion that Keith was letting Ron play frontman.

But what Ron does have is style. He has flash, and like someone earlier said: this is the very el;ite of rock'n roll. he has fully earned his place here. So what is it he brings? It's not just the playing. It is how he plays it, how he looks, he gives you more than notes in a solo. he takes you places. He makes you a rock'n roller for a few minutes. No one is going to play air guitar to a Taylor solo; or even say "Hey I'm Mick Taylor! Here I go: whoo whoo..". But I can do it with the Ronnie Wood name.
So posting audio clips of a Ron Wood solo is never enough. You need the whole package.
And I think the Stones knew this full and well when they hired him. They say that it was the British thing, but I think they mean way more than that.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 1, 2014 13:14

I dont think anybody will pretend to be Ronnie during a solo, but yes, maybe BS (LYL version) and Shattered (Hampton). Those are cool rock n roll moments. Yes I too think they hired him for his stage persona and for giving/trading songs, being the glue in the band when things were falling apart, being the whipping boy, being a good sport, always smiling and the ultimate yes man to Mick and Keith.

Date: May 1, 2014 13:17

DandelionPowderman
Happy on LYL is great! What kind of kool aid have you been offered, Carpet? grinning smiley

YEs it's great I know! But with Ronnie you never know, the LYL version was great but other versions sucked. And it's not Keiths fault (to me).

Date: May 1, 2014 13:21

Very good solo and great licks by Ronnie:

Posted by: erad ()
Date: May 1, 2014 13:23

The happy screw ups in 75 are all keith to my ears.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 1, 2014 14:34

DandelionPowderman
I feel sorry for you, and the fact that you can't enjoy your favourite band anymore.

Lots of us post here because we love, and are interested in discussing, what the Stones did in the 60s and 70s. Why is that a problem? What else would you expect from the immensely diverse fanbase of a band that's been going fifty years? Oh, and Dandie - post a few more Ronnie solos from any Stones concert in, say, the last ten years, and tell me that you really, genuinely enjoy them, and that Powerage's comments (and Tele's, and mine, and many others) are unjustified.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-01 14:34 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 1, 2014 16:15

Palace Revolution 2000
I do believe that there are GREAT Ron Wood solos. And I'm a musician too

But what Ron does have is style. He has flash. It is how he plays it, how he looks, he gives you more than notes in a solo. he takes you places. He makes you a rock'n roller for a few minutes. No one is going to play air guitar to a Taylor solo; or even say "Hey I'm Mick Taylor! Here I go: whoo whoo..". But I can do it with the Ronnie Wood name.

So posting audio clips of a Ron Wood solo is never enough. You need the whole package.

Those are very weird criteria for nota bene a musician. Now you are obliged to define what you mean by GREAT Ron Wood solos.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 1, 2014 18:20

kleermaker
Palace Revolution 2000

But what Ron does have is style. He has flash. It is how he plays it, how he looks, he gives you more than notes in a solo. he takes you places. He makes you a rock'n roller for a few minutes. No one is going to play air guitar to a Taylor solo; or even say "Hey I'm Mick Taylor! Here I go: whoo whoo..". But I can do it with the Ronnie Wood name.

Those are very weird criteria for nota bene a musician. Now you are obliged to define what you mean by GREAT Ron Wood solos.
Well it does sum it up. Ronnie is a great rock star and personality. To be fair he has stepped up his game and begun to take his stage time more seriously. He's also rekindled his friendship with MT as they now have their own band from time to time. All strategic and logical moves from a highly resourceful overachiever who's understanding of rock n roll politics must be admired. As far as "air" guitar I prefer to be Keith.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: May 1, 2014 18:38

TonyMo
Chris Fountain
Maggie Mae-

I would argue that there is mostly no genius in simplicity. Just compare the Maggie May solo to Mick taylor's godly Street Fighting Man outro solo from Brussels back in 1973. I'm pretty sure he's using scales that, were they mathmaticized, would doubtless make an Einsteinian equation. Sure, everyone remembers the Maggie May solo...and could doubtless whistle it, but you could never hope to whistle Mick Taylor's solo on that Street Fighting Man outro unless you were a virtuoso whistler like Roger Miller...may he rest in peace...and I'll bet Roger Miller wouldn't have dared tried it.

Actually there is a version of Ron Wood playing Street Fighting Man with Rod Stewart. It's really funky. I like it better than the original. It's from the Stewart's first solo album. Wood and Stewart made a great pair!

Date: May 1, 2014 20:23

Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman

Lots of us post here because we love, and are interested in discussing, what the Stones did in the 60s and 70s. Why is that a problem? What else would you expect from the immensely diverse fanbase of a band that's been going fifty years? Oh, and Dandie - post a few more Ronnie solos from any Stones concert in, say, the last ten years, and tell me that you really, genuinely enjoy them, and that Powerage's comments (and Tele's, and mine, and many others) are unjustified.

Thanks, it's only common sense.

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: May 1, 2014 20:27

kleermaker
Palace Revolution 2000

BINGO! I have a feeling that you're not a 'musician' musician, Palace. Any comparative vis a vis your taste and an ear so finely tuned as kleermaker can be dismissed simply for the universal truth of the latter's assertion.

If you ARE aware of kleermaker's supernal evaluatory skills yet refuse to acknowledge them you are in denial of the aforementioned's well established aural authority (like myself, kleermaker reads music and has played the violin). Then again, anyone who expresses unfettered delight in the execution of a bunch of solo's by the sub-par Ron Wood can and should be forgiven for they are -forgive me- somewhat delusional, as it has already been established and proven by kleermaker and Tele71 (to name but two) that enjoying something as pedantic as a Ron Wood guitar solo is nigh near impossible.

Do not be discouraged. That your opinion is nearly invalid should only serve to enlighten and can be rightly viewed as an OPPORTUNITY for you to explore other truer forms of musical expression such as can only be found in the playing of more accomplished musicians.

May I suggest the next time you find yourself enjoying what you ought not, take care to remind yourself that your pleasure is but a mirage. Instead of enjoying the Gimme Shelter of Paradiso 95 or the Happy of Tokyo put the stylus or cassette or dvr or cd or mp3 to something worthy, like Mick Taylor ...or Leny Breau. You may not like it. You may never like it. But at least you'll be listening to real guitar player's.

Date: May 1, 2014 20:41

grinning smiley

Date: May 1, 2014 20:54

It's funny that people call Ronnie "average". I have never heard anyone who plays like him, and call tell it's Ronnie in an instant when I hear him.

It would have been interesting to see those who think he is average name 10 other guitar players with the same signature sound/style/abilities. It shouldn't be hard, since he's average after all...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-01 20:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 1, 2014 20:56

I have never heard anyone who plays like anyone.

Date: May 1, 2014 20:58

LuxuryStones
I have never heard anyone who plays like anyone.

You have heard Jimmy Rip smiling smiley

Rich Robinson plays like Keith. Same with Peter Wolf's guitar player.

Rick Richards plays a bit like Ronnie.

We could go on...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-01 20:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 1, 2014 20:59

DandelionPowderman
It's funny that people call Ronnie "average". I have never heard anyone who plays like him, and call tell it's Ronnie in an instant when I hear him.

Yes, me too. No-one else @#$%& up Sway or All Down The Line with such idiosyncrasy; I can tell it's Ronnie from the first off-key note.

Date: May 1, 2014 21:01

And Mick Taylor saved Sway the last time?

You should add "imo" in your post, because obviously everybody doesn't think like you smiling smiley

Date: May 1, 2014 21:06

DandelionPowderman

You should add "imo" in your post, because obviously everybody doesn't think like you smiling smiley

I thought there was no need for comparison and we weren't discussing Mick Taylor?

(P.S. yes, he did; his outro solos were the only worthwhile thing about the handful of otherwise mediocre Sways from this past tour.)

Date: May 1, 2014 21:16

Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman

I thought there was no need for comparison and we weren't discussing Mick Taylor?

(P.S. yes, he did; his outro solos were the only worthwhile thing about the handful of otherwise mediocre Sways from this past tour.)

Yeah, and Ronnie fvcked up the first solo, right, I hear you. You brought up Taylor, btw...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 1, 2014 21:22

DandelionPowderman

While that statement is technically true, as TonyMo so eloquently posted above, the people who don't think like Stoneburst (and others) regarding Ronnie's insufficiencies are simply wrong. I'm pretty sure that internet etiquette has determined that you don't have to claim something is an opinion if you're stating a fact. Come to think of it, possibly those of us who do like Ronnie's playing should put "IMO" in any post where we praise Ronnie's playing so that the experts will know that they don't have to correct our misguided statements as they're only opinions.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1230
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home