Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 36
Re: The Greatest Ron Wood Solos
Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: May 2, 2014 12:27

Doxa, I don't remember having read such comments on Ronnie solos in 2003 !
Late realism as often here ^^

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 2, 2014 12:38

Powerage

I do recall there was, even the most pro-Wood contributor in this thread was rather critical back then.....

But the point is also that Woodie's solos do not generally much gather so much interest, or studied so closely as they do now in this thread. Besides, it seems to be that the Stones rely so little on solo guitar playing, that even a "bad" playing do not much hurt the show. Only good playing will make it even better, but bad one is forgiven by other factors...

We need to also remember that Woody's recent good playing has been noted by many fans, including myself (this even despite the Taylor euphoria). This seems to keep inside the memories of not so great times... or then, we can now finally admit, after seeing better performances that 'yeah, it really was so bad as it was, and not just 'idiosyncratic'. 'different', 'contextual' etc.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-02 12:48 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 2, 2014 12:59

But it is a bit sad that the archives before 2004 or so are gone... It would be nice to see how LICKS tour was discussed. I think the toughest criticism towards live shows started during A BIGGER BANG TOUR (when the concept of 'Vegas act' popped up, etc.), but it was Keith's solos, and his playing over-all, that seemed to be the biggest concern here. I think the tours before that were treated with a rather silky gloves. Or do I have too rosey glasses in my recollection here?grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: May 2, 2014 13:02

Powerage

Doxa's post is important, because many posters either weren't around in 1997-2003, or they simply haven't read the critical posts about both Keith and Ronnie in this period.

Ronnie had huge problems that affected his playing in a negative way, and this really escalated on the Licks Tour (and on the ABB-tour with Keith). You'll find numerous posts from me, Mathijs, Doxa and others about this.

However, Woody has been a Stone for almost 40 years, so luckily we still have lots of treasures to dig up and post smiling smiley

It's a shame that the official LA Friday version of GS isn't available on Youtube...

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 2, 2014 13:10

I remember I got into an argument with somebody in september/october 2003 about the different qualifications of the '69 and '78 tours, me defending the Mach III version of the Stones with Ronnie. However it never got into the current state of affairs, which might prove at least in that case that it was handled with silk gloves.

WAY at Budokan and WAY in Europe (Stockholm, Paris) are two different songs almost!!!!

smileys with beer

Date: May 2, 2014 13:21

I was there (on this show), and Ronnie's solo sounds just as great today!

Date: May 2, 2014 13:27

Thanks Doxa. Hum archives ? "Best show ever", great Ronnie, great Keith, Awesome... great... grinning smiley smoking smiley

Doxa
Powerage

I do recall there was, even the most pro-Wood contributor in this thread was rather critical back then.....

But the point is also that Woodie's solos do not generally much gather so much interest, or studied so closely as they do now in this thread. Besides, it seems to be that the Stones rely so little on solo guitar playing, that even a "bad" playing do not much hurt the show. Only good playing will make it even better, but bad one is forgiven by other factors...

We need to also remember that Woody's recent good playing has been noted by many fans, including myself (this even despite the Taylor euphoria). This seems to keep inside the memories of not so great times... or then, we can now finally admit, after seeing better performances that 'yeah, it really was so bad as it was, and not just 'idiosyncratic'. 'different', 'contextual' etc.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-02 14:00 by Powerage.

Date: May 2, 2014 13:42

Date: May 2, 2014 13:49

Date: May 2, 2014 14:09

Date: May 2, 2014 14:16

Date: May 2, 2014 14:26

Date: May 2, 2014 14:31

Date: May 2, 2014 14:33

Sorry, no...

DandelionPowderman

Date: May 2, 2014 14:35

Date: May 2, 2014 14:37

Prejudice. The solo is a beauty, and with just enough homage to Taylor. A nice little thing that fits the song brilliantly.

Powerage
Sorry, no...

DandelionPowderman

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 2, 2014 14:41

The "good" version of Worried about you is an attempt at recreating the original solo with the famous beginning, and it fails because Ronnie can't play that solo and he can't play a new solo of his own. Instead he does some riffing and some blues notes. He is clueless because he'd have to practice to learn the original solo and if he wanted to create something new he'd have to practice at that. If Id try that solo Id play like him because I haven't learned the whole solo but I know the beginning and the middle hook in that solo.

Date: May 2, 2014 14:46

Date: May 2, 2014 14:50

Date: May 2, 2014 14:59

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 2, 2014 15:06

DandelionPowderman
Powerage

Doxa's post is important, because many posters either weren't around in 1997-2003, or they simply haven't read the critical posts about both Keith and Ronnie in this period.

Ronnie had huge problems that affected his playing in a negative way, and this really escalated on the Licks Tour (and on the ABB-tour with Keith). You'll find numerous posts from me, Mathijs, Doxa and others about this.

However, Woody has been a Stone for almost 40 years, so luckily we still have lots of treasures to dig up and post smiling smiley

It's a shame that the official LA Friday version of GS isn't available on Youtube...

Yes, I'm one of the harshest critics of Ronnie's messed up solos during the ABB tour (SMU or TD, Ronnie's contributions lacerated these songs almost every time). But you're statement is absolutely right: There are many examples in his musical career that prove him as an excellent guitarist. In my opinion he was on his peak as member of the Faces and during the 75/76 tour. But also his contributions in 78 and 81/82 were great, not always, but often. In this sense the archive releases like LA Friday, Some Girls and Leeds 82 are "Ronnie Wood rehab projects" ...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-02 18:13 by RobertJohnson.

Date: May 2, 2014 15:20

Date: May 2, 2014 15:23

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 2, 2014 15:33

DandelionPowderman
I was there (on this show), and Ronnie's solo sounds just as great today!

Er, really? The first couple of notes are okay (being the same as the studio version), then he just heads back to the pentatonic root position and starts blasting out the same Chuck Berry licks he always plays until Jagger cuts him off. It's not exactly a bad solo, but there's no real phrasing nor any attempt at melodic invention. It doesn't have much to do with the song. And Dandie: you can talk all you like about Taylorite snobbishness, but we are now on the twentieth page of you posting mediocre Ronnie Wood solos and criticising other posters for not being able to appreciate them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-02 15:34 by Stoneburst.

Date: May 2, 2014 15:36

It doesn't have to be any "melodic invention" to be great. Sometime one note is enough, like on Knock Your Teeth Out smiling smiley

I like that solo very much. Suits the song brilliantly. Sounds lovely.

I'm not criticising other posters for not enjoying them - where did you get that from? I criticise other posters for comparing with other guitarists. That's not what this thread is about, is it?

By your criterias, Keith has never done a good solo, btw confused smiley

Here's another great Ronnie solo:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-02 15:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 2, 2014 15:41

DandelionPowderman
It doesn't have to be any "melodic invention" to be great. Sometime one note is enough, like on Knock Your Teeth Out smiling smiley

I like that solo very much. Suits the song brilliantly. Sounds lovely.

It's odd though, because Ronnie can play some real nice stuff at slower tempos: here's a good case in point

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-02 15:42 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: May 2, 2014 15:54

Ron Wood is surely a great guy and more than a decent guitar player. He deserves respect for both.

Date: May 2, 2014 16:00

DandelionPowderman
I'm not criticising other posters for not enjoying them - where did you get that from? I criticise other posters for comparing with other guitarists. That's not what this thread is about, is it?

By your criterias, Keith has never done a good solo, btw confused smiley

Those are my criteria for playing a good solo on a song like You Can't Always Get What You Want, which has, you know, a slow tempo, a very distinctive melody to work with and a chord progression that ought to be a soloist's dream. What Ronnie plays on it is basically indistinguishable from the stuff he normally plays at the end of Midnight Rambler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-02 16:03 by Stoneburst.

Date: May 2, 2014 16:01

Purely right !

RobertJohnson

Yes, I'm one of the harshest critics of Ronnie's messed up solos during the ABB tour (SMU or TD, Ronnie's contributions lacerated this songs almost every time). But you're statement is absolutely right: There are many examples in his musical career that prove him as an excellent guitarist. In my opinion he was on his peak as member of the Faces and during the 75/76 tour. But also his contributions in 78 and 81/82 were great, not always, but often. In this sense the archive releases like LA Friday, Some Girls and Leeds 82 are "Ronnie Wood rehab projects" ...

Date: May 2, 2014 16:06

Sometimes, some licks are enough. Still brilliant!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1665
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home