Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 14 of 18
Re: Toronto-1 May 25 Stones show live updates
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 26, 2013 20:37

Vocalion
Jesus, That IORR version was crap from start to finish. The Keith solo was horrible as hell!

I'm sorry that your ears have betrayed you.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: May 26, 2013 20:43

Munichhilton
ryanpow
Max'sKansasCity
paulm
May be American Idol, but country meets Stones works for me...girl's got some pipes thumbs up

I gotta agree with that... the proof is in the results.

Good for Mick to be doing this, hearing her voice on this song works.

I think it works too. Kind of reminds me of the duets mick has done with Tina Turner actually.

I think it worked out but I'm guessing from her reactions that she's heard the song maybe once before...maybe...

I agree and I really can't understand this...Mr. Jagger, if you invite these guests please rehearse it in advance with them so that they even know the song, it's embarrassing to watch these performances, for example Gwen Stefani and this one, they don't even seem to know the song and the lyrics, WTF?????????

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 26, 2013 20:46

I just got back from Toronto. My 12 year old son had a great time. I can see that he will be talking about this and bragging to his friends that his pop took him to see the Stones. From my son's perspective and many others who probably saw the Stones for the first time last night, I am quite sure they walked out thinking this was probably one of the best shows they have seen. As a long time fan who has been lucky to catch them since the early 1970's, my perspective is a little different as I can only compare them to past shows.

The good news is that Mick Jagger is arguably performing and singing better than I have seen him in years. He is the best showmen and frontman in the business. I don't know whether the boys were just having an off night or just plane tired, but compared to other Stones shows I have seen in the past, I would describe last night's show as the most ragged, sloppy, and lackluster/lacking energy show that I have seen to date. On the medium tempo tunes, they were good. Call me nuts, but I love Emotional Rescue. The studio version is tepid by comparison. They funked up this version pretty good in concert. Ronnie Wood held his own, and when he wasn't mugging and walking around on stage, he got down to business and turned out some decent solos, especially on You Can't Always Get What You Want. I am really sad, and it hurts me dearly to describe, but in my opinion, Keith Richards really is a shell off himself. He appeared to be the weakest link in the chain. Where I was sitting last night in the nosebleeds, it sounded like Keith's guitar was louder than the other instruments, so I could hear him distinctly. During one song (I think it was Gimme Shelter), he sounded like he was off key and I grimaced. The solos that he played last night, were adequate at best. Some of the rocking songs seem to be played a lower paced clip and therefore detract from their original power and passion.

The other story of the night for me is Mick Taylor? After playing Can't You Hear Me Knocking & Sway on the west coast, again, he is relegated to playing on Midnight Rambler and strumming along to Satisfaction??? What the @#$%&???? Compared to other video versions of Midnight Rambler that I have seen posted on this board, although entertaining, I didn't think he was exceptional last night and appeared to have a very peripheral/secondary role on Satisfaction. Excuse me, after the last gig on the west coast, I was expecting more. However, one of the posters on this board got it right by stating that after several shows on the west coast (meaning the last one with no guests), they probably had to mix it up more and would go back to the more conservative Model A set when they hit the east coast-and that's what they did.

All in all- I would rate last night's show as good-certainly not great by any stretch. Aside from a one-off Street Fighting Man, there were no real surprises (although Carrie Underwood held her own against Mick for It's only Rock and Roll and she looked hot in a Stones tee).
For me, it was truly memorable as I got to share this experience with my 12 year old who will no doubt treasure this experience for a long time- priceless.

PS- The conversation about ear plugs on this board should be taken seriously. Last night's concert was LOUD! Even with ear plugs for myself and my son, you could hear everything pretty clearly. During one point in the concert, my right ear plug came out, and the music appeared deafingly loud! If you decide to bring youngsters to these concerts, head this advice and take ear plugs. Your hearing won't regret it.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 26, 2013 21:02

Yeah Keith does look like he's doing his best to hang on in there since the Trabendo show in October...I guess we should be thankful that he's able to do that at all if not we wouldn't be discussing live shows at this time.

Doesn't look like this excellent HTW video has been posted yet :

Date: May 26, 2013 21:15

review from the Star re: last night's show...

[www.thestar.com]

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 26, 2013 21:28

"the reappearance of Mick Taylor after “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” for the climactic encore presentation of “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” even if he sat down midway through and seemed to be done with it before the rest of the ACC was." Looks like Taylor was disappointed by his role last night. This review is kind of sad but leaving LA for a regular city has to take the wind out of the party. The Taylor appearance has backfired on them and people are waiting for him or wondering what the song they're hearing might sound like if he were unleashed from the green room. In this case Keith and Mick deserve this problem as Taylor's been publicly used while Ronnie and he are being exposed to a lavish "battle of the bands" mentality. There are quite a few shows left, anything can happen but I bet Taylor leaves the US tour and returns at Hyde Park. It certainly shouldn't stay this distracting .
'

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 26, 2013 21:33

Pictures from The Globe and Mail (photos by Moe Doiron)
[www.theglobeandmail.com]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 26, 2013 21:35

kowalski
Pictures from The Globe and Mail (photos by Moe Doiron)
[www.theglobeandmail.com]

WOW!!! Those shots are spectacular! Thank you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-26 23:07 by bv.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 26, 2013 21:43

DoomandGloom
There are quite a few shows left, anything can happen but I bet Taylor leaves the US tour

hey! i predicted this a couple weeks ago. stop stealing my material....

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: May 26, 2013 21:49

If I was too negative my apologies. I have read reviews on the various boards which range from great to lousy.More importantly I called 3 friend who attended. One was in the pit,one in front seats right behind pit, and one upper deck RW side. One said a great show. One said disappointed and Keith very off, and one said standard show with some hits and misses. I think I was expecting another Staples like show and should have known better.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 26, 2013 21:54

Great shots from the Globe and Mail - love the one of Mick in the purple jacket.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 26, 2013 21:55

Green Lady
Great shots from the Globe and Mail - love the one of Mick in the purple jacket.

I love the bottom picture with Happy Keith clapping for Carrie...
If Keith and Mick Jagger are happy... everyone is happy cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-26 21:56 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: May 26, 2013 21:58

GRNRBITW
DoomandGloom
There are quite a few shows left, anything can happen but I bet Taylor leaves the US tour

hey! i predicted this a couple weeks ago. stop stealing my material....
Give 1 million monkeys 1 million typewriters.....

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 26, 2013 22:33

Curious about Taylor sitting down for the finale. Playing it cool or is there another reason? Not like it was "Sweet Virginia" or some such.

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: May 26, 2013 22:38

bleedingman
Curious about Taylor sitting down for the finale. Playing it cool or is there another reason? Not like it was "Sweet Virginia" or some such.

Even during MR, while I liked his playing, he looked really awkward and out of his place. Maybe he didn't feel well last night?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 26, 2013 22:39

Green Lady

I was going to post those gorgeous pictures, thank you kowalski.

I agree Green Lady, Mick's purple jacket and shirt are the best he's worn on this tour. I want them both!

Date: May 26, 2013 23:00

ohotos
bleedingman

Even during MR, while I liked his playing, he looked really awkward and out of his place. Maybe he didn't feel well last night?

That's pretty much the way I felt last night watching Mick Taylor play. To me, he did not look and play like he was engaged. It is so sad because we have seen from the other videos from this tour that he is capable of adding some great guitar embellishment to the line-up, but he is under utilized (and maybe under-rehearsed).....

Date: May 26, 2013 23:08

I would love to see the behind the scenes analysis that they must do after each show. Very strange to raise the bar with the additional Taylor songs last show and then cut him back in favor of yet another clueless guest who reminded me of some of the women Springsteen pulls out of the audience. I was *this* close to springing for a Pit ticket for Philly after they upped the ante with Taylor the other night. Now, not so much. I love Ronnie but it would be amazing to see them divvy up the show into the "Pre and Post-Some Girls" eras. Then bring them both on for the big finale.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 26, 2013 23:38

The Staples-2 show was signing out of California with a big celebration to all the fans, including some extra Mick Taylor specials. Knowing many of those who went to that Staples-2 show also had seen them one time before in LV, LA or Anaheim.

Do not expect any specials on the first night in a city. But the 2nd show or even the 3rd or 4th show in an area might be special of course. So look out for Chi-3, Boston-2 and Philly-2. I am just guessing, based on experience...

Bjornulf

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: May 26, 2013 23:51

bv
The Staples-2 show was signing out of California with a big celebration to all the fans, including some extra Mick Taylor specials. Knowing many of those who went to that Staples-2 show also had seen them one time before in LV, LA or Anaheim.

Do not expect any specials on the first night in a city. But the 2nd show or even the 3rd or 4th show in an area might be special of course. So look out for Chi-3, Boston-2 and Philly-2. I am just guessing, based on experience...

Seems kinda unfair to the people who spend the same $600+ for the other shows. If they can make a handful of shows "special" they could easily make them all "special" and for the money they are charging they should!

Date: May 26, 2013 23:51

bv

Thanks, bv, but the first show people pay the same price as the second show people. I think they would sell tickets more quickly if people such as myself had a better idea of what we were paying for. That said, if they play NYC again in the future, I will be there.

Date: May 26, 2013 23:55

Seems like a silly strategy... Fans deserve the best possible effort every night.

Date: May 26, 2013 23:56

DoomandGloom
Seems like a silly strategy... Fans deserve the best possible effort every night.

no no no. fans of the last night deserve it. c'mon...be reasonable...

Date: May 27, 2013 00:00

Really, why not swing for the fences every night? Raise the bar and raise it yet again. I wouldn't pay 5 dollars to see most of these guests, much less with my favorite band. I would pay substantially more to see a strategic set with Taylor and Wood, respectively, sans "guests".

Posted by: Tonyz ()
Date: May 27, 2013 00:01

Christ... some of you are either insane or incredibly bitter and entitled. Last night was an amazing show, pure and simple. They destroyed it.
Sure, more MT would be great. Yeah, You Got Me Rockin' and ER sorta kinda suck. I'm all for constructive criticism, but some of you are really going over the edge.

I've never seen a "fan" site so negative about the band they supposedly love.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-27 00:02 by Tonyz.

Date: May 27, 2013 00:06

Tonyz
Christ... some of you are either insane or incredibly bitter and entitled.

why can't we be all three? i think you're being a little narrow-minded...we want it all!

Date: May 27, 2013 00:08

Tonyz
Christ... some of you are either insane or incredibly bitter and entitled. Last night was an amazing show, pure and simple. They destroyed it.
Sure, more MT would be great. Yeah, You Got Me Rockin' and ER sorta kinda suck. I'm all for constructive criticism, but some of you are really going over the edge.

Speaking for myself, I am not bitter. Just discussing the possibilities of the wealth distribution from show to show. Having seen them many times in many variations since 1972, I have no complaints. But I still dare to have expectations.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 27, 2013 00:34

GRNRBITW
Tonyz
Christ... some of you are either insane or incredibly bitter and entitled.

why can't we be all three? i think you're being a little narrow-minded...we want it all!

Christ?

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 27, 2013 02:07

Tonyz

ah, your first mistake is thinking this is a fan site... when as you say, clearly it's not!

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: May 27, 2013 02:41

Sighunt
I just got back from Toronto. My 12 year old son had a great time. I can see that he will be talking about this and bragging to his friends that his pop took him to see the Stones. From my son's perspective and many others who probably saw the Stones for the first time last night, I am quite sure they walked out thinking this was probably one of the best shows they have seen. As a long time fan who has been lucky to catch them since the early 1970's, my perspective is a little different as I can only compare them to past shows.
7 7
The good news is that Mick Jagger is arguably performing and singing better than I have seen him in years. He is the best showmen and frontman in the business. I don't know whether the boys were just having an off night or just plane tired, but compared to other Stones shows I have seen in the past, I would describe last night's show as the most ragged, sloppy, and lackluster/lacking energy show that I have seen to date. On the medium tempo tunes, they were good. Call me nuts, but I love Emotional Rescue. The studio version is tepid by comparison. They funked up this version pretty good in concert. Ronnie Wood held his own, and when he wasn't mugging and walking around on stage, he got down to business and turned out some decent solos, especially on You Can't Always Get What You Want. I am really sad, and it hurts me dearly to describe, but in my opinion, Keith Richards really is a shell off himself. He appeared to be the weakest link in the chain. Where I was sitting last night in the nosebleeds, it sounded like Keith's guitar was louder than the other instruments, so I could hear him distinctly. During one song (I think it was Gimme Shelter), he sounded like he was off key and I grimaced. The solos that he played last night, were adequate at best. Some of the rocking songs seem to be played a lower paced clip and therefore detract from their original power and passion.

The other story of the night for me is Mick Taylor? After playing Can't You Hear Me Knocking & Sway on the west coast, again, he is relegated to playing on Midnight Rambler and strumming along to Satisfaction??? What the @#$%&???? Compared to other video versions of Midnight Rambler that I have seen posted on this board, although entertaining, I didn't think he was exceptional last night and appeared to have a very peripheral/secondary role on Satisfaction. Excuse me, after the last gig on the west coast, I was expecting more. However, one of the posters on this board got it right by stating that after several shows on the west coast (meaning the last one with no guests), they probably had to mix it up more and would go back to the more conservative Model A set when they hit the east coast-and that's what they did.

All in all- I would rate last night's show as good-certainly not great by any stretch. Aside from a one-off Street Fighting Man, there were no real surprises (although Carrie Underwood held her own against Mick for It's only Rock and Roll and she looked hot in a Stones tee).
For me, it was truly memorable as I got to share this experience with my 12 year old who will no doubt treasure this experience for a long time- priceless.

PS- The conversation about ear plugs on this board should be taken seriously. Last night's concert was LOUD! Even with ear plugs for myself and my son, you could hear everything pretty clearly. During one point in the concert, my right ear plug came out, and the music appeared deafingly loud! If you decide to bring youngsters to these concerts, head this advice and take ear plugs. Your hearing won't regret it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 14 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1854
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home