Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12
Re: Anaheim May 15 Stones show live updates
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 17, 2013 14:15

Thrylan
OK....I love my Stones, but lets be real, as a musician myself, this is......mediocre. I will watch every video, buy the dvd and see them if they come close. That being said, if the tempos get any slower, they will have to cut the setlist to about 15 songs. For some, they could walk out and piss and it would be the greatest show ever! Bullshit! Voodoo Lounge was the last time I heard ANY inspired playing. And the second half of the setlist plain sucks...zzzzzzzzz. I know you have to play some warhorses, but not ALL of them. And honestly at 400-600$ how many casual fans are there? Mix it up some. Plus, the casual fan MIGHT hear something they like more than MY, BS, etc..... Lastly, I WILL get a beer during YCAGWYW. Choirs and french horns aren't very Stonesy, besides, I own the album. More IS less. No more Rolling Stones Big Band and Review. I love them, and I don't want to watch them "go gentle into that goodnight." Now you may crucify me.

On the upside those video screens look pretty sharp...

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 17, 2013 14:21

Lol....funny

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 17, 2013 15:21

gotdablouse
Great review WindyHorses! Reminds me of how I felt at the end of the O2/25th in the pit, exhausted, drained, almost too much to cope with really...for a few hours I was like "this is it, nothing can top that, I don't need to see them again" and slowly but surely you want to get another taste ;-)

Anyway, since you mention D&G, was it played at "normal" speed today? I just listened to the LV boot and it seemed very slow, but maybe "groovier", I wonder if that's why they skipped it in SJ in order to make these adjustments...How was Satisfaction, did Taylor solo a lot like in SJ or just stay in the background like in LV?

Anyone ?

I Just listened to the boot...so it sounds like it was Keith only soloing like in Vegas on Satisfaction :-( D&G was played faster than in Vegas fortunately though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-17 15:21 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 17, 2013 15:49

gotdablouse
gotdablouse
Great review WindyHorses! Reminds me of how I felt at the end of the O2/25th in the pit, exhausted, drained, almost too much to cope with really...for a few hours I was like "this is it, nothing can top that, I don't need to see them again" and slowly but surely you want to get another taste ;-)

Anyway, since you mention D&G, was it played at "normal" speed today? I just listened to the LV boot and it seemed very slow, but maybe "groovier", I wonder if that's why they skipped it in SJ in order to make these adjustments...How was Satisfaction, did Taylor solo a lot like in SJ or just stay in the background like in LV?

Anyone ?

I Just listened to the boot...so it sounds like it was Keith only soloing like in Vegas on Satisfaction :-( D&G was played faster than in Vegas fortunately though.

Justin on RO had this observation.

"One other thing I forgot was that during Satisfaction, Taylor apparently couldn't hear his guitar at all. He constantly mouthed to Keith that he couldn't hear anything. He began to air guitar a little bit and even danced around because his guitar was useless but he seemed very happy just to be up there, all the same. He did not take a solo during the song but he did go over to Darryl and help out on background vocals which i thought was cool.

It seems every damn time Taylor is on stage he seems to be having sound issues. I don't think I've seen one performance of Rambler without him motioning to the backline to give some volume (either from his amp or through the monitors). What the hell are they doing back there? Give the man what he needs! He's only up there for one song and they can't make sure it's without issue? So frustrating."

In addition he posted some outstanding photos he took at the show, and there's a lively and intelligent discussion of the current state of the Stones that should be required reading in that thread as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-17 15:53 by andrewt.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: May 17, 2013 15:52

Give Taylor a black headgear an some sunglasses and he looks like Slash.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 17, 2013 15:59

Thrylan
OK....I love my Stones, but lets be real, as a musician myself, this is......mediocre. I will watch every video, buy the dvd and see them if they come close. That being said, if the tempos get any slower, they will have to cut the setlist to about 15 songs. For some, they could walk out and piss and it would be the greatest show ever! Bullshit! Voodoo Lounge was the last time I heard ANY inspired playing. And the second half of the setlist plain sucks...zzzzzzzzz. I know you have to play some warhorses, but not ALL of them. And honestly at 400-600$ how many casual fans are there? Mix it up some. Plus, the casual fan MIGHT hear something they like more than MY, BS, etc..... Lastly, I WILL get a beer during YCAGWYW. Choirs and french horns aren't very Stonesy, besides, I own the album. More IS less. No more Rolling Stones Big Band and Review. I love them, and I don't want to watch them "go gentle into that goodnight." Now you may crucify me.

Well, if you see them in the U.S., no you WON'T get a beer during that song, because the concession stands will have closed by the time the encores start. Plus, your comment about choirs and French horns is baffling- the Stones recorded the song that way. By very definition that makes it "Stonesy".

Date: May 17, 2013 16:30

Long John Stoner
Thrylan
OK....I love my Stones, but lets be real, as a musician myself, this is......mediocre. I will watch every video, buy the dvd and see them if they come close. That being said, if the tempos get any slower, they will have to cut the setlist to about 15 songs. For some, they could walk out and piss and it would be the greatest show ever! Bullshit! Voodoo Lounge was the last time I heard ANY inspired playing. And the second half of the setlist plain sucks...zzzzzzzzz. I know you have to play some warhorses, but not ALL of them. And honestly at 400-600$ how many casual fans are there? Mix it up some. Plus, the casual fan MIGHT hear something they like more than MY, BS, etc..... Lastly, I WILL get a beer during YCAGWYW. Choirs and french horns aren't very Stonesy, besides, I own the album. More IS less. No more Rolling Stones Big

Band and Review. I love them, and I don't want to watch them "go gentle into that goodnight." Now you may crucify me.

Well, if you see them in the U.S., no you WON'T get a beer during that song, because the concession stands will have closed by the time the encores start. Plus, your comment about choirs and French horns is baffling- the Stones recorded the song that way. By very definition that makes it "Stonesy".

Keith has stated many times that songs usually dont take shape until they've been kicked around for a tour or two....YCAGWYW became a solid rocker in the 70's & 81'.....now its album time. JJF is hotter live than studio, as is say MR. The differences are at times subtle, but they exist. BS goes both ways, Bobby is awesome, but it's hard to top Ronnie on LYL. IORR is the same, I actually dig the nuances of the album version. Undercover, much better live. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE and own all the albums......but choirs and french horns aren't encore material for me, maybe middle section? Does YCAGWYW wind you up like 69' SFM, or 81' Satisfaction .......I doubt it. Placement is huge. I don't pay 100-2000$ to hear the record or the choir.......I pay to see the Stones ROCK.......It IS a rock and roll show......just an opinion. Happy to discuss with people like yourself who at least can get my references! smiling smiley

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: May 17, 2013 16:34

Thrylan

I agree that the playing is not very inspired on the whole, the band is more like a some kind of machine, and the second half of the setlist is pretty boring for a real fan, I sometimes wonder how it feels for themselves to play that same second half over and over again, is it not boring for themselves??? But on the other hand, it's some kind of miracle and they are still performing and especially Jagger is performing amazingly well for nearly 70-year old rock singer! And the first half of show is still interesting and at times there can be even some inspired playing!

Date: May 17, 2013 16:47

rollingon
Thrylan

I agree that the playing is not very inspired on the whole, the band is more like a some kind of machine, and the second half of the setlist is pretty boring for a real fan, I sometimes wonder how it feels for themselves to play that same second half over and over again, is it not boring for themselves??? But on the other hand, it's some kind of miracle and they are still performing and especially Jagger is performing amazingly well for nearly 70-year old rock singer! And the first half of show is still interesting and at times there can be even some inspired playing!

Don Was disagrees with you, says they are playing better than ever. I agree with Don.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 17, 2013 16:51

JumpinJackOLantern
rollingon
Thrylan

Don Was disagrees with you, says they are playing better than ever. I agree with Don.

don is paid to say that. what's your excuse?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 17, 2013 17:05

andrewt
gotdablouse
gotdablouse

Anyone ?

Justin on RO had this observation.

"One other thing I forgot was that during Satisfaction, Taylor apparently couldn't hear his guitar at all. He constantly mouthed to Keith that he couldn't hear anything. He began to air guitar a little bit and even danced around because his guitar was useless but he seemed very happy just to be up there, all the same. He did not take a solo during the song but he did go over to Darryl and help out on background vocals which i thought was cool.

It seems every damn time Taylor is on stage he seems to be having sound issues. I don't think I've seen one performance of Rambler without him motioning to the backline to give some volume (either from his amp or through the monitors). What the hell are they doing back there? Give the man what he needs! He's only up there for one song and they can't make sure it's without issue? So frustrating."

In addition he posted some outstanding photos he took at the show, and there's a lively and intelligent discussion of the current state of the Stones that should be required reading in that thread as well.

Thanks, will go hunting for that thread!

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: May 17, 2013 17:14

Munichhilton
Title5Take1
I saw a tattoo at the Honda Center last night. A woman walking in front of me had the right back pocket of her black jeans literally cut out so a goodly portion of her naked right buttock showed through. The purpose: to show off her literal tattoo of a Stones tongue logo with the words "Tattoo You" across it. Bare-assed (at least partially) in Anaheim.

If you got it, flaunt it.

Why not just tattoo it a bit higher up where it can be seen? Say the forehead or something.

Shame to ruin a nice pair of jeans...

Couldn't tatoo on the forehead, that's where she had her swastika,

Date: May 17, 2013 18:09

GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
rollingon
Thrylan
OK....I love my Stones, but lets be real, as a musician myself, this is......mediocre. I will watch every video, buy the dvd and see them if they come close. That being said, if the tempos get any slower, they will have to cut the setlist to about 15 songs. For some, they could walk out and piss and it would be the greatest show ever! Bullshit! Voodoo Lounge was the last time I heard ANY inspired playing. And the second half of the setlist plain sucks...zzzzzzzzz. I know you have to play some warhorses, but not ALL of them. And honestly at 400-600$ how many casual fans are there? Mix it up some. Plus, the casual fan MIGHT hear something they like more than MY, BS, etc..... Lastly, I WILL get a beer during YCAGWYW. Choirs and french horns aren't very Stonesy,
besides, I own the album. More IS less. No more Rolling Stones Big
Band and Review. I love them, and I don't want to watch them "go
gentle into that goodnight." Now you may crucify me.

don is paid to say that. what's your excuse?

Not to be rude, but really!?! I get DW.....hes cool. Do you really think they are playing better????? This is what I talk about when I say is they could walk out and piss and it would be the greatest show he ........NOT SO.

Date: May 17, 2013 18:16

Sorry, big fingers. If you really cant hear it, find a guitar player, play them this stuff, and then play them 15 seconds of GYYYO......they can point it out easily. I dont expect the same at 70 as 30, but part of aging is knowing your limits. I love them, but I don't give free passes.

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 17, 2013 19:13

Question, please, anybody:

I was watching Mick go over to his water bottle during the show and he has tissues too to wipe the sweat off. Then he had a container that looked like baby powder and he was pouring it on his hands. Clouds of the stuff. Is that talc or ?
Sorry to be ignorant.

I was quite amused with L'Wren Scott's clothing designs.
That feathered black cape was cool, but Mick only had it on for a minute. Must have been too hot for the last song before encore.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 17, 2013 19:40

I think it is very misleading for anyone from the Stones camp to suggest they are playing better than when they were 30. It is just not true and can only be related to Keith and Charlie and Mick Taylor none of which are playing anywhere near as good as even 1981. He says this to sell tickets and create interest.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 17, 2013 19:46

Otherwise, hard drug is back again in the Stones camp ^^

crumbling_mice
I think it is very misleading for anyone from the Stones camp to suggest they are playing better than when they were 30. It is just not true and can only be related to Keith and Charlie and Mick Taylor none of which are playing anywhere near as good as even 1981. He says this to sell tickets and create interest.

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: May 17, 2013 20:24

$85s are up for Saturday.

[www.ticketmaster.com]

Date: May 17, 2013 20:55

roby
Otherwise, hard drug is back again in the Stones camp ^^

crumbling_mice

Maybe they should use some "doping" like athletes, it would be interesting to see them change back to 30 years old again performance wise...

Well, maybe this is not such a good idea after all.

If scientist only could create a wonder drug that could make people "younger", the stones should definetely be the first guinea pigs for that drug!

Date: May 17, 2013 21:03

JumpinJackOLantern
rollingon
Thrylan

Where and when did Don Was say they are playing better than ever?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 17, 2013 22:23

Just in! Chuck saves this one coming out of sax solo!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-17 22:25 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 17, 2013 22:39

MT was having sound issues during Satisfaction. He went over to his foot pedals and was fiddling with them. It was amusing when he sidled up later to Keith and was playing the riff along with him like a Motown guitar section. Keith did the soloing as it was clear MT was having problems. Ironically, or perhaps owing to some connected issue, Keith's intro riff was cutting in and out. It would seem that he was flubbing the notes but it was more drastic sounding than that, notes were missing, so maybe he was having some sound issues at that moment as well.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 17, 2013 22:57

Dammit that "Midnight Rambler" works me every time. Amazing version, once again. Both Micks on fire. Taylor started it calmly, but shit when he got into, he was just flying. One never knows how he plays it this time, but great it always is. I wonder does he ever think "I'm gonna do that and that this time", or is it just improvising, emerging from the heat of the moment? I would guess the latter.

I think his solos are getting lately more sharp and sharp, and probably more reflective to the structure of the song. Well, what can I say? Only:

"Play that guitar, boy"

- Doxa

Date: May 17, 2013 23:03

DoomandGloom

Jagger's voice is in fantastic shape!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 17, 2013 23:03

"Waitin' On A Friend" has always been one of my favourite Stones ballads, and it expresses feelings that are rather unique in Stones vocabulary. Mature man's musicgrinning smiley. Nice to see it performed, and a fine version!

- Doxa

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 17, 2013 23:32

DoomandGloom

Keith plays that new'ish Telecaster Custom.

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: May 18, 2013 00:13

They don't WANT MT's sound volume up, they don't want him playing too well, and he seems happy to acquiesce, fulfilling the role of a sentimental novelty while lurking around the stage. They wanted Wyman to do something similar, but he didn't buy in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-18 00:24 by paulm.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 18, 2013 00:17

kowalski
Jumpin' Jack Flash from Anaheim :

Great clip. Guitars seem to be very prominent in the mix, which is nice.

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: May 18, 2013 00:28

Gee, there's an energy to this Anaheim show I haven't seen before. First, MJ is incredible as always with his fitness level, but Keith also is evolving into something different...he seems healthier, like he wants to meet MJ halfway, maybe be a little more like him. Whatever it is, these two are melding very nicely in these clips.

Ron's plinky playing though, is....anemic. Would rather just hear the rhythm section honestly.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 18, 2013 01:15

paulm
They don't WANT MT's sound volume up, they don't want him playing too well, and he seems happy to acquiesce, fulfilling the role of a sentimental novelty while lurking around the stage. They wanted Wyman to do something similar, but he didn't buy in.

Not totally, since he's gesturing a lot:

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2054
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home