Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more than one song please
Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 5, 2013 15:51

YES. YES. smiling smiley

Doxa

I also get the same impression. The irony is that both Keith and Roonie play better than they have for ages, and in a way if one is used to that guitar department - as I suppose most of us have done - there should not be anything to complain about, but by contrary: to be happy. For that reason Keith was wrong when saying that "Ronnie and I need Taylor".

But the very fact that Mick Taylor actually is now "there" and "available" makes it all different. He is adding a possible dimension to their sound that is something EXTRA to anything we have experienced for ages now. I was convinced of that when I saw the first version of "Midnight Rambler" with Taylor at London. It was almost shocking to my eyes to hear the difference to the sound I'm used to hear from them for ages. Nothing to complain about Richards/Ronnie axis - and all their safe belts - but at least to myself I have heard enough of that during all these Vegas years. To my ears they have milked any possible fresh idea of that concept, or from them as players. And even now when Keith is more focused, it is still the same old, the same old.

But with Taylor there is a novelty factor, something freshness in their sound. Taylor adds something to tHe Rolling Stones sound no one else can do. No, it won't bring them back to 1972, but it won't keep ourselves either in the premises of 1989/99, but helps forming a new Rolling Stones sound AD 2012/3. I truely hope it will not be only for one song/show.

- Doxa

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 5, 2013 15:52

triceratops
lazzzybones
The Mick Taylor situation is a letdown.After Keiths appearance on Fallons show I actually believed that Taylor was going to be playing with them for the Majority (!) of the show in a "3 guitar attack"-that's the impression Keith gave.
I am a gullible fool.
Also,remember all the hoopla with the Exile re-release and Plundered My Soul and how Exile is the best stones album ever and all the critics love it and whenever theres alist in a music magazine of the "best albums of all time" its always in the top 5 somewhere? Well who played on it?
The same person sitting backstage twiddling his thumbs waiting for Midnight Rambler (the next warhorse) thats who.
What a waste.

Keith does not run the Rolling Stones. It could be the three guitar attack is what he wanted, what he thought was going to take place, but he was over ruled. It could be AEG or MickJ or who knows...who wants MickT just on Midnight Rambler

I have the feeling it's not Keith's fault. I think he actually does love playing with Taylor. I got that impression watching the MR-video and that rehearsal pic: Keith looked quite content on both.

Anyway, very disappointing to see and hear Taylor on MR only after all the fuss.

Date: May 5, 2013 16:15

MR is now an eleven minutes solo fest. Why complain?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 5, 2013 16:23

DandelionPowderman
MR is now an eleven minutes solo fest. Why complain?

Dandy, you still don't get it, don't you? cool smiley

Date: May 5, 2013 16:24

Absolutely we want more Mick Taylor! Permanently! Re-instated! But three songs will do in the meantime! Can you hear us, Mick? smiling smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 5, 2013 16:38

He is never going to be permanent but he's there use him!! I listened to Brussells Tumbling Dice yesterday which by the way that live version might be my faovite thing the Stones haveever done, and Taylor could take that to another level. You have a worl class player a 3-5 song set would be great.

BTW - If we want more MT and MJ looks here we need more posts.

Date: May 5, 2013 17:05

slew
He is never going to be permanent but he's there use him!! I listened to Brussells Tumbling Dice yesterday which by the way that live version might be my faovite thing the Stones haveever done, and Taylor could take that to another level. You have a worl class player a 3-5 song set would be great.

If I was managing the Stones I would re-instate him immediately!

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: May 5, 2013 17:18

slew
You have a worl class player a 3-5 song set would be great.

Didn't Keef say after Kansas '81 that MT plays too loud? Wonder if anybody has invested in a set of ear plugs to keep that highly ranked camper happy?

More, unrestrained MT please.

MJ sounds great with guitar chops to support him. Wish they could rip IORR out in a similar studio style like this from 2012 (hint hint: MT is here):

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: May 5, 2013 17:19

Mick J runs the show and for some reason, he belives (right now) 1 song is enough. I think I caught a hint of his rationale with one of his recent quotes. He said soemthing like "I need que cards with all the special guset guitarists, Clapton, Beck and Mick Taylor...". That may not be the exact quote but it is close. I hope he does not see him as just another "hot shot lead guitar player". Or just a prop from the vault.

I thought we would see the 3 guitar attack Keith spoke about for most, if nto all of the show.

Mick Taylor is a special talent and a significant part of Stones history. The other reality is: one of thse times it is really going to be The Last Time and nobody cna rewind the tape to do it differently.

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Date: May 5, 2013 17:29

JumpinJackOLantern
slew

And I should be managing the Stones! For free!

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 5, 2013 17:36

JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
slew

you do realize you're violating iorr etiquette by quoting your own post? bv doesn't take kindly to these things, you know.

Posted by: Jelly Face Joe ()
Date: May 5, 2013 17:37

"Love in Vain", please.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 5, 2013 17:48

Open letter to Mick Jagger:

Mick, we know that you obviously run the show. This tour will more than likely be your swan song and we know that you want to go out on top. You are now in a very unique position to utilize the talents of Mick Taylor to make a lasting contribution to your legacy. Certainly, his addition to this tour has been significant on Midnight Rambler, but if you are going to bring him along for the entire tour in 2013, wouldn't it make more sense to invite him to play on a mini-set of three songs such as Love In Vain, Can't You Hear Me Knocking or Time Waits for No One where you really utilize his talents? On prior occasions via interviews, etc, you yourself have claimed that Mick Taylor's presence in the Rolling Stones was significant regarding his contributions to the band. Many, many long time Rolling Stones fans who are planning to attend the current tour (and have paid for premium seats) are doing so under the belief that Mick Taylor was to be on board in a more expanded role. Think of it Mick, what a great way to end a very successful musical career and add to your legacy by having one of your greatest assests on stage in a three guitar attack that would wow the fans every night and garner fantastic reviews!

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 5, 2013 17:51

Sighunt

Mick, we know that you obviously run the show. This tour will more than likely be your swan song and we know that you want to go out on top. You are now in a very unique position to utilize the talents of Mick Taylor to make a lasting contribution to your legacy. Certainly, his addition to this tour has been significant on Midnight Rambler, but if you are going to bring him along for the entire tour in 2013, wouldn't it make more sense to invite him to play on a mini-set of three songs such as Love In Vain, Can't You Hear Me Knocking or Time Waits for No One where you really utilize his talents? On prior occasions via interviews, etc, you yourself have claimed that Mick Taylor's presence in the Rolling Stones was significant regarding his contributions to the band. Many, many long time Rolling Stones fans who are planning to attend the current tour (and have paid for premium seats) are doing so under the belief that Mick Taylor was to be on board in a more expanded role. Think of it Mick, what a great way to end a very successful musical career and add to your legacy by having one of your greatest assests on stage in a three guitar attack that would wow the fans every night and garner fantastic reviews!

Thanks, but we're just in it for the money. Screw the legacy.

sincerely,

Mick Jagger

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 5, 2013 17:52

Sighunt - sign up for MJ's twitter account and put that on there. That is perfect.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 5, 2013 18:02

GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
slew

you do realize you're violating iorr etiquette by quoting your own post? bv doesn't take kindly to these things, you know.

He only does that when no one else will talk to him. Anyway, this isn't 1963. The Stones don't have a "manager."

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 5, 2013 18:29

Yes! More than one song please! Love In Vain! Can't You Hear Me Knockin'!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 5, 2013 18:29

[/quote]

Really MisterDDDD?

You're actually making a comparison with someone who has never been in the band with someone who was a Rolling Stone for nearly 5 years?
You're comparing a country star with one of the greatest rock guitar players ever who also contributed to some the greatest Rolling Stones albums ever recorded?

Are you serious?

VERY serious.
The point missed is that it's not yours or any other fans business.

Open letter to Mick Jagger re: Mick Taylor's role
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 5, 2013 17:55

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 5, 2013 18:53

he'll be doing more songs...you'll see..

the Stones always do the right thing.

Re: Open letter to Mick Jagger re: Mick Taylor's role
Posted by: varv ()
Date: May 5, 2013 19:06

Sighunt

Very well put. Please add my name to this petition.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 5, 2013 19:10

kleermaker
triceratops
lazzzybones
The Mick Taylor situation is a letdown.After Keiths appearance on Fallons show I actually believed that Taylor was going to be playing with them for the Majority (!) of the show in a "3 guitar attack"-that's the impression Keith gave.
I am a gullible fool.
Also,remember all the hoopla with the Exile re-release and Plundered My Soul and how Exile is the best stones album ever and all the critics love it and whenever theres alist in a music magazine of the "best albums of all time" its always in the top 5 somewhere? Well who played on it?
The same person sitting backstage twiddling his thumbs waiting for Midnight Rambler (the next warhorse) thats who.
What a waste.

Keith does not run the Rolling Stones. It could be the three guitar attack is what he wanted, what he thought was going to take place, but he was over ruled. It could be AEG or MickJ or who knows...who wants MickT just on Midnight Rambler

I have the feeling it's not Keith's fault. I think he actually does love playing with Taylor. I got that impression watching the MR-video and that rehearsal pic: Keith looked quite content on both.

Anyway, very disappointing to see and hear Taylor on MR only after all the fuss.

I agree with that. I think this "new" or "reborn" Richards who appeared last year is actually quite close to a guitarist that used to play with Taylor. You know, the idea of concentrating on rhythm, the riffs, taking the musical leadership on his shoulders, who shines when the band shines, etc. Compare that to the wild-going weaver of 1978/82, the ego-boosted "guitar hero" of 1989, who, as the years go by, degenerated to a second frontman poser, musical freerider, who managed to play his two note berry lick "solos" in wrong tune, etc.

So I mean to say, as a player Keith is mentally pretty much prepared to play with a guy like Taylor. Seemingly the most ego problems are gone. Also Wood is seen to have a more dominant, even shining role thanks to Keith's more down-to-earth, laid back approach. The way Ronnie and Keith share the guitar duties is for my eyes much more the way they did back in 1975 than that of free-going ancient art of weaving years (1978-82).

And since Ronnie seemingly never have had any ego problems, there is no problem in that front for the arrival of Taylor either. Wood is happy just to play with the Stones, and I think he could very easily to find a suitable role for himself next to Keith and Taylor. That attitude has always been Wood's forte to survive in this band.

So think the guitar section is ready to have Taylor onboard. But there are other factors...

- Doxa

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: May 5, 2013 19:13

Are the Stones still great? Damned right. Would they be incredible with MT? Damned right. It would be wonderful to use him more and give the predictable songs a freshness that has actually been missing for decades. It is the music that is most important at this stage of the Stones career. Many of us looked forward to MT playing after Keith Richards say on Jimmy Fallon that he would. I don't pretend to understand planning shows or how these things are done, but I just listened to Brussels Tumbling Dice and was completely knocked out by MT as well as his playing on the entire concert. Let him enhance Ronnie and Keith's already brilliant work!

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: May 5, 2013 19:15

Very glad to see this 'sticky' and hope someone in the right place takes note. Please, more of Mick Taylor. I wasn't expecting him to be on all the time but three songs surely? Even at the warm up gig he played on two and that wasn't a full set. Please don't alternate Rambler and CYHMK - Rambler is far and away their best live song even without Taylor and with him should be there every night. How about adding CYHMK and Love In Vain too? And drop all the other guests, they add nothing at all. (OK, Keith Urban's playing was fine probably did add to the song, his singing detracted from it so we're quits.)

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 5, 2013 19:18

I want more Mick Taylor! Come on guys (Stones) blast us off the side of the planet while you're still able to! You're all playing well enough to accomplish this. Please take us to the brink. Let's Rock And Roll, that's what we wantsmiling bouncing smiley Don't you?

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: May 5, 2013 19:24

At the risk of sounding "GREEDY" I think for the money we are laying out the show should be 3 hours long with an additional 3 to 4 songs that should include Mick Taylor. Love in Vain, CYHMK, Rocks Off, Sway, Winter and Bitch. Come on Mick pick 4 and invite the ONLY guest we want to see Mick Taylor... join The Band for some extended play!

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: May 5, 2013 19:35

bv
I was hoping for may be two or even three songs with Mick Taylor, but they did only fit him in for one song at the Staples show last night. This is the "WE WANT MORE MICK TAYLOR" on stage thread ... but please do NOT misunderstand, nothing wrong with Ronnie!

All "We want more Mick Taylor" threads will be merged in here, as there are already many around!

HEAR HEAR, Whats wrong with 3 guitars - NOTHING, better sound, it was nice to see
Mick Taylor taking the FINAL bow at recent gigs spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 5, 2013 19:37

Kick out the so called star invites and invite Bill and Mick in their place.
Make the Rolling Stones the only stars we need on the stage.

Lets hear the Greatest Rock n Roll band play like one!!!

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: May 5, 2013 20:14

fleabitmonkey
At the risk of sounding "GREEDY" I think for the money we are laying out the show should be 3 hours long with an additional 3 to 4 songs that should include Mick Taylor. Love in Vain, CYHMK, Rocks Off, Sway, Winter and Bitch. Come on Mick pick 4 and invite the ONLY guest we want to see Mick Taylor... join The Band for some extended play!

>grinning smiley< Right On, Right On, Right On, RIGHT ON !

Re: Open letter to Mick Jagger re: Mick Taylor's role
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 5, 2013 20:24

varv
Sighunt

Very well put. Please add my name to this petition.

Nice thoughts, Doxa - and I pretty much agree with all of your sentiments. It's been Keith, after all, who has been the most vocal publicly about welcoming Taylor back into the fold. I don't know or profess to know why he's not given a chance to contribute more - money disputes, health concerns, ego issues, who knows? I do have a feeling though that we'll see more of Mick Taylor in upcoming shows besides just lending his always-formidable leads to 'Midnight Rambler'. Case in point, and the Stones know this - "Sway" and/or "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" need to happen at least ONCE with Taylor handling the solos.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home