Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more than one song please
Posted by: ts ()
Date: May 5, 2013 06:58

Dear Mr. NoCode, I would not consider mer MT a sideman, rather think of him as a very special guest. Peace

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 5, 2013 07:03

Everything is a little Alice in Wonderland. Remember Bill? Keith made it sound like it would be up to Darryl and Bill as to what songs to play on, and that maybe they would go in and out. Result? Two songs, unrehearsed, and a bewildered and pissed Wyman.

Then Keith says they'll be using a 3-guitar lineup. (And this made sense a few weeks ago with Keith's fading skills.) Keith did indeed play great last night, better than I've heard him play since '99. And Ronnie was great too. I think he's gotten better since getting sober. But only one Taylor song. It seemed like he was just getting warmed up and the crowd, many of whom didn't know who the hell he was, were just getting warmed up to him too.

They say one thing that sounds like what the fans want, and then they do whatever the hell they please. Maybe last night was a lot of pressure and they had to make it as good as possible, with a couple star turns, to goose ticket sales in other cities. But unless I'm blind, I didn't even see Mick T. brought out for a bow at the end with the other four surviving Stones. Surely we could do without Mick J. in a gorilla suit for SFTD, so we could hear Mick T. bring the house down with Sway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-05 07:21 by 24FPS.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 5, 2013 07:05

24FPS
Everything is a little Alice in Wonderland. Remember Bill? Keith made it sound like it would up to Darryl and Bill as to what songs to play on, and that maybe they would go in and out. Two songs, unrehearsed, and a bewildered and pissed Wyman.

Then Keith says they'll be using a 3-guitar lineup. (And this made sense a few weeks ago with Keith's fading skills.) Keith did indeed play great last night, better than I've heard him play since '99. And Ronnie was great too. I think he's gotten better since getting sober. But only one Taylor song. It seemed like he was just getting warmed up and the crowd, many of whom didn't know who the hell he was, were just getting warmed up to him too.

They say one thing that sounds like what the fans want, and then they do whatever the hell they please. Maybe last night was a lot of pressure and they had to make it as good as possible, with a couple star turns, to goose ticket sales in other cities. But unless I'm blind, I didn't even see Mick T. brought out for a bow at the end with the other four surviving Stones. Surely we could do without Mick J. in a gorilla suit for SFTD, so we could hear Mick T. bring the house down with Sway.

they don't have a good arrangement for 'sway' live. it's been terrible when they've played it before, and not because of the guitar parts.
maybe they had a good reason not to have him play more, other than just randomly trying to piss off their biggest fans for no good reason.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: May 5, 2013 07:06

ts
Dear Mr. NoCode, I would not consider mer MT a sideman, rather think of him as a very special guest. Peace

I don't consider him one either, I was responding to you saying that 11 minutes is enough because he's no longer a Rolling Stone, and I was just saying there are others up on stage the entire show who aren't Rolling Stones either.

Posted by: ts ()
Date: May 5, 2013 07:07

Love the song Sway. But really my kids and grand kids give a thought less for my nostalgia. Got to move on...keep moving on.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: May 5, 2013 07:57

This whole Mick Taylor is becoming a huge annoyance to a large chunk of fans and in danger of escalating to really awkward situation. I don't know who thought of the idea of a single-song guest spot but it's plain ridiculous. I don't see how grown men can't sit down and sort things out to the benefit of a better sounding band and more enjoyment for their fans. What are they worried about? That Taylor is going to solo too much? Upstage Keith and Ronnie? I mean, I doubt that could be the case. Just make a business descision...'Mick, we'd like you on stage for the whole show...but take it easy...just lurk in the back and contribute here and there.' But seriously, is that a grave concern?. I'm sure Taylor could understand what his role would/should be.

The band is great without Taylor but it's even better with him. Mind you, I don't know what the mechanics of a '3-guitar attack would be'. Is it too diffcult? Can 3 guitarists sort out who plays what easily enough and get along playing without stepping in each other's toes? Ahh, sorry, I'm rambling...had a couple of drinks tonight. I just don't want to go to the concert wondering what and how many songs Taylor is going to play. Just get him in there, tell him to hang back if you even have to, and end the discussion and put on a great concert! Cheers!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 5, 2013 08:46

Seems to me "grown men DID sit down and sort things out to the benefit of a better sounding band".

As a longtime fan who wasn't there for the Taylor years, but was there for most of Ronnie's.. I love the current arrangement.

I'm excited to see them work MT in for a few more songs as they inevitably will
(and then all the managers here will say they caused it) as the tour rolls on.

If all he appeared for by the time I first see them in Vegas is the exact same 11* minute version of Midnight Rambler, I'd be thrilled to witness it.

Went to the Brooklyn show in Dec. and admit I was a little disappointed that it was the one show MT didn't appear at of the five show mini tour. But that quickly went away when I drew a Ronnie's side ticket and Loved every opportunity Ronnie had to shine.

I love The Rolling Stones.

For me, that consists of Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie.

Having Mick Taylor along as a "very special guest" is FANTASTIC!

Complaining about his playing time or lack thereof, would be similar to complaining about Keith Urban only getting one song.

And, if I really want or ever wanted to see Mick Taylor play, I understand he does gigs and has for decades and likely will in the future.

As for who I want orchestrating who plays what when and where?

Pretty sure I'm ok with The Rolling Stones making that call.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-05 08:48 by MisterDDDD.

Re: Mick there is still time to salvage this tour.....
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 5, 2013 09:05

GRNRBITW
Aquamarine
I am so tired of hearing about "warhorses" I think I'm just going to quit reading this forum for a while. If you mean "great songs" say "great songs." If you want to be the coolest kid in school and shriek your recognition of some 1965 b-side while everybody else is hyperventilating wanting to hear the world's greatest band play some of the world's greatest songs, like JJF, and if you're sitting out this tour because they're playing too many of the classics you haven't heard them play in five years and probably never will again, then all I can say is that's really sad. And I love those 1965 b-sides.

you suck. and, thankfully, you're not reading this.

How do you know?

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 5, 2013 09:29

lazzzybones
The Mick Taylor situation is a letdown.After Keiths appearance on Fallons show I actually believed that Taylor was going to be playing with them for the Majority (!) of the show in a "3 guitar attack"-that's the impression Keith gave.
I am a gullible fool.
Also,remember all the hoopla with the Exile re-release and Plundered My Soul and how Exile is the best stones album ever and all the critics love it and whenever theres alist in a music magazine of the "best albums of all time" its always in the top 5 somewhere? Well who played on it?
The same person sitting backstage twiddling his thumbs waiting for Midnight Rambler (the next warhorse) thats who.
What a waste.

Keith does not run the Rolling Stones. It could be the three guitar attack is what he wanted, what he thought was going to take place, but he was over ruled. It could be AEG or MickJ or who knows...who wants MickT just on Midnight Rambler

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 5, 2013 10:47

MisterDDDD
Complaining about his playing time or lack thereof, would be similar to complaining about Keith Urban only getting one song.

Really MisterDDDD?

You're actually making a comparison with someone who has never been in the band with someone who was a Rolling Stone for nearly 5 years?
You're comparing a country star with one of the greatest rock guitar players ever who also contributed to some the greatest Rolling Stones albums ever recorded?

Are you serious?

Would complaining about MT's playing time or lack thereof be similar to complaining about Gwen Steffani only getting one song?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-05 10:51 by Hairball.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 5, 2013 11:30

A 3-songs slot seems compulsory to me : a long one (MR or CYHMK) plus two "normal" ones (Live With Me LIVain MMile Rocks Off etc)

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 5, 2013 11:50

dcba
A 3-songs slot seems compulsory to me : a long one (MR or CYHMK) plus two "normal" ones (Live With Me LIVain MMile Rocks Off etc)

+1

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 5, 2013 11:53

dcba

the ticket you bought doesn't say "mick taylor will be performing 3 songs" it says you're going to see the rolling stones in concert.

they are 70 year old men considered some of the greatest rock performers in history, each worth 10s of millions of dollars. nothing is compulsory. they don't owe us anything, and we don't owe them anything. if they want to play, they play. if we want to listen, we listen.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 5, 2013 11:55

And Mick stop calling MT "a good friend of ours", that's for Clapton!

MT is a former band member!

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 5, 2013 12:21

Love in vain, Sway and Time waits for no one would be great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-05 12:23 by roby.

Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: May 5, 2013 12:25

Thanks BV for this thread, yes MR JAGGER we want some more of Mick Taylor for this tour, i think about three songs:

Midnight Rambler
Love in Vain
Dead Flowers

Come on Mick, do it

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 5, 2013 12:34

When Taylor plays, everything seems to kick up a notch. Let him play on everything.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 5, 2013 12:38

terraplane
When Taylor plays, everything seems to kick up a notch. Let him play on everything.

Goddamn right.

Re: mick taylor "performing" only one song........?
Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: May 5, 2013 12:47

ts
In my humble opinion- imho for the texters and twitters... the 11 minutes of Mick Taylor are the highlight of the show. A very special guest. Much more than that though the moment loses it's impact. Thanks.

My thoughts exactly, plus they never forgave him for leaving imo, and who knows what else is going on behind the veil..
Besides, look at Bill, he only got two songs as well, and he was a member for 30 years.
I like Bill's attitude: "piss off then", at least that's what he thinks. Its called self-respect.

The tour is not over yet, maybe things change for the better in Taylors case.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: May 5, 2013 13:15

I`m sorry for the Taylor fans that got let down on the last gig. I really hope that the rest of the shows will be a pay off for all the fans that travels to see the band with him. I myself had a meeting yesterday with a group of people that were planning to see the Stones in London. We decided not to go because of the unsertanty of how much Taylor would contribute. None of the others are big Stones fans, but wanted to get a glimpse of what the band used to sound like in the hey days. Anyway, I really hope he gets to play on more songs. For me it would be obvious that Taylor would do very good versions of:
Gimme Shelter
Brown Sugar
Love in Vain
Rambler
and Satisfaction.

-And of course not having recorded live versions of Sway and Can't you hear me knocking with Mick Taylor would a verry missed opportunity.

Posted by: Jos ()
Date: May 5, 2013 13:26

A better setlist and more Taylor is needed .. what is wrong with them ...

Posted by: Blackdog ()
Date: May 5, 2013 14:10

terraplane

Exactly. You can feel the energy.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 5, 2013 14:34

Blackdog
terraplane

Exactly. You can feel the energy.

I also get the same impression. The irony is that both Keith and Roonie play better than they have for ages, and in a way if one is used to that guitar department - as I suppose most of us have done - there should not be anything to complain about, but by contrary: to be happy. For that reason Keith was wrong when saying that "Ronnie and I need Taylor".

But the very fact that Mick Taylor actually is now "there" and "available" makes it all different. He is adding a possible dimension to their sound that is something EXTRA to anything we have experienced for ages now. I was convinced of that when I saw the first version of "Midnight Rambler" with Taylor at London. It was almost shocking to my eyes to hear the difference to the sound I'm used to hear from them for ages. Nothing to complain about Richards/Ronnie axis - and all their safe belts - but at least to myself I have heard enough of that during all these Vegas years. To my ears they have milked any possible fresh idea of that concept, or from them as players. And even now when Keith is more focused, it is still the same old, the same old.

But with Taylor there is a novelty factor, something freshness in their sound. Taylor adds something to tHe Rolling Stones sound no one else can do. No, it won't bring them back to 1972, but it won't keep ourselves either in the premises of 1989/99, but helps forming a new Rolling Stones sound AD 2012/3. I truely hope it will not be only for one song/show.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-05 14:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 5, 2013 14:42

Most of us love Ronnie but Mick adds so much to the sound and excitement
Of the Stones sound.

Yes he quit but they brought him back and while he is here. Use him..Play him.
They had Blondie put Taylor behind the stage...But for God's sake use his
Talents..

Posted by: lougio ()
Date: May 5, 2013 14:51

I don't think this is just about MT playing more songs We all know that should happen. This is also about the great songs they played at rehearsals in LA. Bitch, Sweet Virginia, Rip This Joint, Love in Vain, Street Fighting Man, Time Waits for No One and others. I am an old Stones fan as are most of the people that are at these shows. I don't want to here Doom and Gloom, or One More Shot. If we must then pick one per show don't play them both every night. And just to be really clear I never want to hear Emotional Rescue!

Posted by: Lilla Chinchilla ()
Date: May 5, 2013 14:58

I want Mick Taylor to play on more songs!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 5, 2013 15:10

hot stuff
Most of us love Ronnie but Mick adds so much to the sound and excitement
Of the Stones sound.

Yes he quit but they brought him back and while he is here. Use him..Play him.
They had Blondie put Taylor behind the stage...But for God's sake use his
Talents..

Exactly. Quitting or not, being a full member, an ex-member, a "friend" or whatever is just semantics: what counts is what the people do as musicians on stage. There is a guy behind the stage who could do a marvellous thing to help in their music, and it is feels like a bloody wasted oppurtunity to not use that option.

But I guess something is to do with the old pragmatic principle: do not change a winning team. The Stones can do very well without Taylor, and they know that. And I am sure it actually is a lot easier for Keith and Ronnie to keep the old concept, and play it safely "in the box", from the experience they have now done for decades. The old dogs and new tricks, etc. (And for example, the bigger role and more responsibilities the guitarist got now, didn't get us back to wild years of 1978/82, but the concept - how to approach the songs, arrangements, etc - is pretty much the one created in 1989 - that's the only idea of the Stones sound that I guess Ronnie and Keith have in their minds nowadays)

But the glimpse of the band with Taylor - and the possible idea of him having more contribution - we got, at least made it hard for a fan like me to eat the old concept any more. It could be better, more musically interesting, more challenging. Now seeing the "standard" band feels like a torso, something missing in it. It makes me feel like I did back in September when I was watching a Stones tribute band, warming up for Taylor's band: when the guitarist was doing the solo of "Time Waits For No One" I couldn't help but thinking that there is a guy behind the stage who could nail that one... That takes something out of enjoying the performance - that knowledge...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-05 15:14 by Doxa.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: May 5, 2013 15:11

Why does Sir Jagger ask us what we want on Twitter and then not respond? Could it be Taylor is not as prepared? Doubtful. There are several songs where 3 guitars make sense. No Expectations in the 1973 style with Keith on electric riff rhythm, Ronnie on 12 string acoustic, and Taylor filling in sweet fills on slide.

We want more Mick Taylor.

Re: mick taylor "performing" only one song........?
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 5, 2013 15:36

VT22
ts
In my humble opinion- imho for the texters and twitters... the 11 minutes of Mick Taylor are the highlight of the show. A very special guest. Much more than that though the moment loses it's impact. Thanks.

My thoughts exactly, plus they never forgave him for leaving imo, and who knows what else is going on behind the veil..
Besides, look at Bill, he only got two songs as well, and he was a member for 30 years.
I like Bill's attitude: "piss off then", at least that's what he thinks. Its called self-respect.

The tour is not over yet, maybe things change for the better in Taylors case.

Self-respect is not a good thing when you deal with the Stones, because they're all divas to the highest degree. As a result, nothing is easy, everything Stones is v-e-r-y complicated.

Quite contrary to what they want us to believe, it's NOT only rock'n'roll!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-05 15:38 by alimente.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 5, 2013 15:49

I think Doxa said it best and most agree.
So I believe that the Stones WILL play Mick
A lot more when the tour moves forward.

They just need to get Mick, Woodie and Keith
On the same page. It takes time to coordinate the
50 years of using only 2 guitars.

Jagger knows what magic Tylor can bring to the Stones.

Now that everyone saw how great Keith and Ronnie are playing
I think they will give Mick more numbers to bring new life and excitement
To old classic.

At least I hope so!!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home