Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 28
Re: ***GIG TONIGHT AT ECHOPLEX - SMALL & INTIMATE!***
Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 28, 2013 19:30

I don't have the exact numbers, but the entire crowd at the Echoplex was fans. Some do believe there are "real fans" and "not so real" fans, not my cup of tea really. All fans are fans. All fans do deserve to see the band. It is just that demand is larger than suppy, especially in a place that can take just 500 or so people only.

I have never seen the Stones in such a small place, even if I have seen them in many club shows. They had a small VIP section Ronnie side, on the corner. It was nice for the VIP, because it went backstage, so that they could mingle with the band. But the VIP space was may be 5% of the place, at the very corner, and just 10% of the left stage may be. They got their share. Mind you this is LA and Hollywood. There were like a dozen TV stations lined up outside sending live from the event outside. Having an event in LA without VIP's does not make sense, we do all know that movie stars are popular and famous, and they need a small space.

The entire floor was sold at the El Rey ticket sales. Don't know the num ber but that was all of the floor. Around 350 may be. I was told the guest list was 80. That is the smallest guest list in decades.

Insiders and those who worked hard on rumours lined up from 2am in the morning outside the El Rey theatre. By 10am there were 200 people in the queue, and two hours later thousand. I was told there were 1500 or more in the queue by the time they started ticket sales. All of these are fans, like you and me. It is hard to say who "deserve" a ticket or not. May be some were in the wrong part of town. It takes an hour anywhere in LA because of traffic.

The lottery picked a random block of people in the queue who got tickets. Then they sold a few tickets to those who did not go home. While the Trabeno in Paris was much more a planned for show with a large guest list, the Echoplex was planned for and done in less than 3 days, impressing reallly. Very few guests, a new way of selling tickets, which may be discussed and disputed of course, but fans are fans...

Bjornulf

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 28, 2013 19:33

JumpinJeppeFlash
bv
I have barely been online since I left home in Norway Friday morning at 3am. It is now 62 hours ago. My priority has been on getting to see and hear The Rolling Stones as much as possible, as close as possible and not to loose any moment of whatever they did here in LA. I never got time to make the countown or publish news, because distances are so big, both from Norway to California, also between locations here in Los Angeles. Jetlag and being ovewhelmed by the Stones and they North American tour start is still keeping me a bit knocked out.

Banana and Grolch beer for breakfast. Perfect match for the patched setlist I have in front of me. It has got a handwritten "Rip This Joint" as number 9, replacing Miss You, and may be they planned it that way, with Mick Taylor entering there already. It would have been just perfect. Anyway, I can't complain. Mick Jagger signing for 20-30 fans out at the rehearsals the evening before, as they left. I could see how the excitement and the intensity of the fans was in the air.

"We're going" Mick said. And they left. They came back for BS and JJF. He gave us a final cliche saying "You gave us love, hope and understanding". He talked about the lottery, and made a bit of fun of it. To many it was a nightmare, not much fun. And Mick Taylor was waving Keith forward several times. What a strange show. Mick and Keith was so close and smiling big smiles to each others many times during the show. Just that part paid off for the entire hazzle of getting there.

The Mick Taylor solo on Midnigh Rambler paralyzed me, I did not expect it to be that strong. He added something extra which we have been missing since he left, something that is unique to Mick Taylor, his style and his playing. Yet, Ronnie had a great and extended solo which stood out like no others, so I need them both. I am looking forward to the complete show at the Staples Center next Friday, this was just a taster...

It would be very interesting to know how you manage to get in to these small shows over and over again. Who is helping you with tickets from the Stonescamp? This time somebody from the management must have helped you since it was a lottery. Or did you win your ticket the same way others did, don't think so.
And how does he find the time to travel the world to see all these shows? Doesn't he work? or is he retired? or is he Superman? I'm guessing he's Superman.

Date: April 28, 2013 19:34

JumpinJeppeFlash
bv
I have barely been online since I left home in Norway Friday morning at 3am. It is now 62 hours ago. My priority has been on getting to see and hear The Rolling Stones as much as possible, as close as possible and not to loose any moment of whatever they did here in LA. I never got time to make the countown or publish news, because distances are so big, both from Norway to California, also between locations here in Los Angeles. Jetlag and being ovewhelmed by the Stones and they North American tour start is still keeping me a bit knocked out.

Banana and Grolch beer for breakfast. Perfect match for the patched setlist I have in front of me. It has got a handwritten "Rip This Joint" as number 9, replacing Miss You, and may be they planned it that way, with Mick Taylor entering there already. It would have been just perfect. Anyway, I can't complain. Mick Jagger signing for 20-30 fans out at the rehearsals the evening before, as they left. I could see how the excitement and the intensity of the fans was in the air.

"We're going" Mick said. And they left. They came back for BS and JJF. He gave us a final cliche saying "You gave us love, hope and understanding". He talked about the lottery, and made a bit of fun of it. To many it was a nightmare, not much fun. And Mick Taylor was waving Keith forward several times. What a strange show. Mick and Keith was so close and smiling big smiles to each others many times during the show. Just that part paid off for the entire hazzle of getting there.

The Mick Taylor solo on Midnigh Rambler paralyzed me, I did not expect it to be that strong. He added something extra which we have been missing since he left, something that is unique to Mick Taylor, his style and his playing. Yet, Ronnie had a great and extended solo which stood out like no others, so I need them both. I am looking forward to the complete show at the Staples Center next Friday, this was just a taster...

It would be very interesting to know how you manage to get in to these small shows over and over again. Who is helping you with tickets from the Stonescamp? This time somebody from the management must have helped you since it was a lottery. Or did you win your ticket the same way others did, don't think so.

Of all people, do you really have an issue with how bv got in! I would think most of us here don't.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: dimtim ()
Date: April 28, 2013 19:36

Here is my update from yesterday events. They did not make it easy to get a ticket but I got lucky. What an adventure.

I live in Orange County, about 50 miles from LA amd went up to see Waddy Watchel Friday night. Bernard Fowler and Blondie Chapman performed with him and other guests. Good show. Loud.

Checked this thread in the morning and saw the news of the show (I owe my good fortune to this thread-forever grateful). Raced back up to LA and got in line about 11:45 without much hope as there were at least 500 in front of me. Waited and got my raffle ticket. After waiting for three hours they announced the winning numbers. Some people that gave up gave me their tickets. I had one golden ticket.

Got my ticket finally about four hours after getting in line. Long process. Very secure. The people that hung around that still had their raffle ticket seemed to all get tickets. This was very cool as the fans that hung around were true fans and got tickets.

Was sunburned, hungry, thirsty, slightly sunstroke and physically spent after standing around half the day but had to rally for the show. On to Echo Park.

I was able to get about 20 feet back on Keith's side of stage. Sounds was great. Band started off a little slow especially Charlie and Keith. Ronnie playing extremely well-he has something to prove with MT now in the mix. Had to get the old bones working.

Absolute highlight was Love In Vain as a huge MT fan. Amazing slide guitar. Pinnacle of the 50 or so Stones shows I have seen since 1975. Then Midnight Rambler. The guitars were unreal as was Charlie. Drums loud. The stage was crowded and MT was watching MJ closely. He tried to take charge at one point but Keith blew him off a bit.

The setlist was good but never a perfect setlist for everyone. I could always do without Start Me Up and YGMR. Miss You gets old but the loose funky version last night was alot of fun - bass solo by Darryl stood out. SFM and JJF great but heard them before.

Band was relaxed and playing around with each other and looked good. Mick very talkative throughout the show, and made it fun. The guy is so fit - looks like he is lifting weights. Musically the band is in top form. Met lots of great people yesterday (actually a pretty young crowd overall) - a day I will never forget.

Enjoy the tour and get out to the shows. See you in Anaheim.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 28, 2013 19:39

[email protected]
JumpinJeppeFlash
bv

Of all people, do you really have an issue with how bv got in! I would think most of us here don't.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

No problem for me at all. But i think BV should admit that he have got many tickets to shows like these and others straight from the stonescamp. BV never answers these questions, so i don´t expect an answer this time either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-28 19:40 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: April 28, 2013 19:41

Dreamer
Cocaine Eyes
LOOK - Bernard didn't even know where they were playing tonight Too funny:

Club show at El Rey in LA tonight with @rollingstones [fb.me]{/b]

grinning smiley

Again: posts deleted by the police smoking smiley

Oh yeah babe.....I noticed that. Was expecting it as well.

Having/needing too much control = A sign of insecurity methinks.

confused smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 28, 2013 19:44

BV is a professional Stones fan - who cares how he gets his tickets or how he gets to the various gigs around the world - that's his business. I'd do the same if I could. I don;t blame him for not answering you either, he has provided this forum for years for free and all information that comes with it and that's enough. I'm glad he got in and hope he makes it to all the shows. >grinning smiley<

Date: April 28, 2013 19:47

JumpinJeppeFlash
[email protected]
JumpinJeppeFlash
bv

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

No problem for me at all. But i think BV should admit that he have got many tickets to shows like these and others straight from the stonescamp. BV never answers these questions, so i don´t expect an answer this time either.

He has nothing to answer for. Of all people, he should have gotten the first ticket. But that's just my opinion.

Scotty

Date: April 28, 2013 19:50

Quoted from GumbootCloggeroo:

<<< And how does he find the time to travel the world to see all these shows? Doesn't he work? or is he retired? or is he Superman? I'm guessing he's Superman.>>>

That's a good one, fellow Canadian!!grinning smiley MY biggest question is this:

If he has all this info, WHY doesn't he share (what he can) it with the fans who aren't 'in the know'? Running a message board is (I think) to give out important messages about this band.

But, nevermind, who am I to ask? It's BV's site and he's free to do (or not do) whatever he pleases. Happy that he gets into all these private, surprise gigs. It's cool for him!!

Date: April 28, 2013 19:57

[email protected]
JumpinJeppeFlash
[email protected]
JumpinJeppeFlash
bv

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

He has nothing to answer for. Of all people, he should have gotten the first ticket. But that's just my opinion.

Scotty

Well, i know many fans who never will get a ticket to a show like this who would deserve to be there more than somebody who have seen at least 300+ shows and most of the small club/theatre shows past 20 years.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:01

bv

Glad you made it in BV!
Today you can sleep smiling smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:06

Pretty big stage (from the clip above) considering the small venue.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:06

All is said here. smileys with beer>grinning smiley<

bv

The Mick Taylor solo on Midnigh Rambler paralyzed me, I did not expect it to be that strong. He added something extra which we have been missing since he left, something that is unique to Mick Taylor, his style and his playing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-28 20:24 by roby.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:08

JumpinJeppeFlash
[email protected]
JumpinJeppeFlash
bv

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

What difference does it make? If the "Stones camp" gives him tickets, more power to him.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:10

71Tele
JumpinJeppeFlash
[email protected]
JumpinJeppeFlash
bv

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

What difference does it make? If the "Stones camp" gives him tickets, more power to him.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:14

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele
JumpinJeppeFlash
[email protected]
JumpinJeppeFlash
bv

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

And the same goes for anyone... I say good for anyone who gets wired in, and I say that having never been given a single fkg thing like this in my life. I get no comps, no passes, no nothing... I have paid up every single time.... but I sure as hell dont begrudge anyone who does what it takes to get taken care of, I good for them. Jealously is a bad habit.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:15

Some people are worried about "wrong" fans got into the Echoplex gig for some reason. I was pretty close up Keith side, when I overheard the guy behind me said to the guy next to him "I was on the It's Only Rock'n Roll website ...". So you are not alone. We are not alone. We are too many for the Echoplex. Not space for everyone. That is the problem. I was there, and I can guarantee all fans at the show were real fans like you and me. Lucky fans that is.

Bjornulf

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:15

dang thats a slow 'Respectable'...

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:17

very little clips and pics from the show up until now.. sad smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:22

Some knock the clip above. I once saw the Stones at the Joint in Vegas with an audience of 1,100. And it was heaven. But I had seen the Stones in a stadium and an arena prior. And one thing I learned from the club date is, a large part of the energy of a Stones show is the audience energy. A larger audience actually adds to the show in my experience (obviously if you're in the back row that's no benefit). And obviously, intimate shows have their benefits over large shows. But large shows have their benefits that I didn't appreciate until I saw the Stones intimately. Glad I did, of course. (I know Jim Morrison said he actually felt he had to work less hard at the bigger shows because the audience sort of creates its own event.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-28 20:24 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:23

You got me rocking is a good opener, I do not know why the song is hated so much.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:25

Cocaine Eyes

<<< And how does he find the time to travel the world to see all these shows? Doesn't he work? or is he retired? or is he Superman? I'm guessing he's Superman.>>>

That's a good one, fellow Canadian!!grinning smiley MY biggest question is this:

If he has all this info, WHY doesn't he share (what he can) it with the fans who aren't 'in the know'? Running a message board is (I think) to give out important messages about this band.

But, nevermind, who am I to ask? It's BV's site and he's free to do (or not do) whatever he pleases. Happy that he gets into all these private, surprise gigs. It's cool for him!!

I agree that's cool for him. But I think he doesn't give enough info because he's scared that the Stones don't give him info anymore about surprise gigs and stuff and no more access... Getting inside has become too important I guess.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:26

crumbling_mice
BV is a professional Stones fan - who cares how he gets his tickets or how he gets to the various gigs around the world - that's his business. I'd do the same if I could. I don;t blame him for not answering you either, he has provided this forum for years for free and all information that comes with it and that's enough. I'm glad he got in and hope he makes it to all the shows. >grinning smiley<

I completely agree,and to the two moaners on here, jealousy can be a nasty thing and it's none of your business.
How would you like someone prying into your life asking stupid questions.

You would probably tell them to ''F**ck Off''. confused smiley

Date: April 28, 2013 20:29

Dreamer
Cocaine Eyes

I agree that's cool for him. But I think he doesn't give enough info because he's scared that the Stones don't give him info anymore about surprise gigs and stuff and no more access... Getting inside has become too important I guess.

There is an element of trust here with people giving him information. When my friend called to give me a heads up on the show, he trusted me not to blab. To do so would break his trust. I'm really astounded some of you don't see that. Right after I talked to him my best friend called just to say "what's up'. He's not even a Stones fan and didn't tell him.

Scotty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-28 20:36 by micknkeef@cox.net.

Date: April 28, 2013 20:33

Dreamer
Cocaine Eyes

Totally agree.

Date: April 28, 2013 20:36

Thanks for the review dimtim and the great story of how you made the gig.

So glad you had a great time. winking smiley

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:37

[email protected]
Dreamer
Cocaine Eyes

There is an element of trust here with people giving him information. I'm really astounded some of you don't see that.

Scotty

Don't exaggerate. Cocaine Eyes always has very good info and is never violating any trust given to her. She was the first who said the tour would start May 2nd while bv was still mumblin about June and then two weeks Uk and then back to the US... She said they would not do that because it doesn't make sense; based on her insider knowledge for years.
There is some more info now and then that he could give, that's all we are saying.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:40

Of course we do, @! I hope I speak for the lion's part of posters here. Only the jaundiced thinks the opposite. BV deserves every ticket he can get!

Date: April 28, 2013 20:43

Dreamer
Cocaine Eyes

Possibly. But I doubt that he's really "inside". Hell, I'm "inside" and I still give out info!! Now, I DO refuse to name hotels, name restaurants while they're there, name streets where they live in mansions in Toronto.......all that is way too risky (think Mark David Chapman!!). Insiders' jobs are to protect them as well.

And as you well know - being "inside" isn't all that important when all is said and done.

*I* think his 'connections' are two-fold:
- a Canadian who was originally from London
- and a former member of the crew who loves antiques.

Understand?

cool smiley

That all said, I respect his right to remain silent about all of this. It's his site afterall.......

Date: April 28, 2013 20:49

Dreamer
[email protected]
Dreamer
Cocaine Eyes

There is an element of trust here with people giving him information. I'm really astounded some of you don't see that.

Scotty

Don't exaggerate. Cocaine Eyes always has very good info and is never violating any trust given to her. She was the first who said the tour would start May 2nd while bv was still mumblin about June and then two weeks Uk and then back to the US... She said they would not do that because it doesn't make sense; based on her insider knowledge for years.
There is some more info now and then that he could give, that's all we are saying.

All this 'Insider' b****cks is just speculation.

My speculation is that they may go back to North America after the U.K.dates. winking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home