Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 28
Re: ***GIG TONIGHT AT ECHOPLEX - SMALL & INTIMATE!***
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 28, 2013 09:20

proudmary
a view from the line.

[mobile.twitter.com]
[rocksoff.org]

Wow , Walgreens must have some kind of BIG sale !

Posted by: Thedole ()
Date: April 28, 2013 09:27

NEWS AT 11!!!! Here is a few seconds of footage from channel 7 KABC in Los Angeles tonight

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: April 28, 2013 09:30

kowalski

Really nice setlist. Hard to do better than this with 14 songs.

Hardly. The most conservative small/club show setlist they have ever done as far as song choice goes.

Compare this to Sir Morgan's Cove, Toad's, RPM, Horseshoe, Double Door, Palais Royale, etc. All had songs they hadn't done before or for a significant period of time (i.e. different band members etc.). I wouldn't consider 'harkening back' to 1998 to pull out 'Little Queenie' quite the same as even doing 'Bitch' in 1989.

Seeing the stones in a 400-seat club is an experience like none other I am sure. And they could come out and sing 'Happy Birthday' and it would be amazing. I'm not trying to take away from that aspect of this. And, yes, Mick taylor was there, obviously unique experience (did they ever play a club when he was in the band??).

But the setlist was pretty mediocre as far as a club show. Even the theater shows on the Licks Tour were more dynamic.

J

Date: April 28, 2013 09:32

paulywaul
kowalski
mnewman505
The Rolling Stones
Echoplex, Los Angeles, CA, USA
2013-April 27

Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie, Darryl, Chuck, Bernard, Lisa

onstage: 09:20 PM PT

You Got Me Rocking
Respectable
She's So Cold
Live with Me (with Bobby Keys)
Street Fighting Man (first since 9 Nov 2003)
That's How Strong My Love Is (Otis Redding)
Little Queenie (Chuck Berry) (first since 19 Sep 1998)
Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) (The Temptations)
Miss You (with Bobby Keys)
Love in Vain (with Mick Taylor)
Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
Start Me Up

Brown Sugar (with Bobby Keys)
Jumpin' Jack Flash

offstage: 10:50 PM PT

For a tour warm-up club show, pretty bloody good really .... even making allowances for a rotten choice of opening number, but that's just my own opinion. I happen to hate that song, I hate it wherever within a set it appears, so if it appears as an opener ... that's just adding insult to injury as far as I'm concerned.

But all in all, given that we all accept that these days the Stones simply cannot get away with not including certain staples like BS & JJF at the very least, in virtually whatever context they perform, a great set. They do covers so damn well, I think that the three they elected to do here worked fantastically.

Congrats to all that got in.
there are more than 3 covers in that setlist. look again winking smiley

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 28, 2013 09:48

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 28, 2013 09:49

sonomastone
photos:

[twitter.com]

[instagram.com]#

Bad hair day for Mick?

Date: April 28, 2013 09:49

Here is another news at 11 report of tonight's show. This time it's KNBC channel 4 in LA. The reporter reminds me of Tricia Takanawa- the news reporter for Quahog 5 News on "Family Guy" Not enough concert footage, just the typical, stupid pedestrian interviews with blond bimbos, wrinkled up old broads, dim witted goofs who couldn't get into the gig. Most of the time was spent discussing the tight security. The Stones rocked tonight.!! Maybe they will open the next show with "Terrifying" -LOL. Kidding... The shoulda opened with anything other then "You got me rockin'" Doom & Gloom?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-28 09:52 by Thedole.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 28, 2013 09:51

great set list. could always have better songs, but still.
Looking forward for reports and photos
jeroen

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:22

keefriffhard4life
paulywaul
kowalski
mnewman505
The Rolling Stones
2013-April 27

You Got Me Rocking
Respectable
She's So Cold
Start Me Up

Jumpin' Jack Flash

For a tour warm-up club show, pretty bloody good really .... even making allowances for a rotten choice of opening number, but that's just my own opinion. I happen to hate that song, I hate it wherever within a set it appears, so if it appears as an opener ... that's just adding insult to injury as far as I'm concerned.

But all in all, given that we all accept that these days the Stones simply cannot get away with not including certain staples like BS & JJF at the very least, in virtually whatever context they perform, a great set. They do covers so damn well, I think that the three they elected to do here worked fantastically.

O whoops ........... silly me. Forgot Love In Vain !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:22

JMARKO

Hardly. The most conservative small/club show setlist they have ever done as far as song choice goes.

Compare this to Sir Morgan's Cove, Toad's, RPM, Horseshoe, Double Door, Palais Royale, etc. All had songs they hadn't done before or for a significant period of time (i.e. different band members etc.). I wouldn't consider 'harkening back' to 1998 to pull out 'Little Queenie' quite the same as even doing 'Bitch' in 1989.

Seeing the stones in a 400-seat club is an experience like none other I am sure. And they could come out and sing 'Happy Birthday' and it would be amazing. I'm not trying to take away from that aspect of this. And, yes, Mick taylor was there, obviously unique experience (did they ever play a club when he was in the band??).

But the setlist was pretty mediocre as far as a club show. Even the theater shows on the Licks Tour were more dynamic.

J

What are you talking about? All warm up club gigs have been a combination between warhorses, some new songs and some rarities they then do on the subsequent tour. And after 50 years, the rarities are running out unless you expect them to play Gomper.

Mathijs

Date: April 28, 2013 10:24

Mathijs
JMARKO

J

What are you talking about? All warm up club gigs have been a combination between warhorses, some new songs and some rarities they then do on the subsequent tour. And after 50 years, the rarities are running out unless you expect them to play Gomper.

Mathijs

"under assistant west coast promo man" would have been an inspired rarity choice, but i agree, the set list was great.

Date: April 28, 2013 10:25

I agree. Gomper would be quite the show stopper

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:26

Mathijs

Mathijs

Hilarious winking smiley

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:29

I guess BV did not get in since he hasn´t wrote anything here? Or did he?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:32

JumpinJeppeFlash
I guess BV did not get in since he hasn´t wrote anything here?

You're so naive! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Vertigo05 ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:35

Nice Setlist! Yeah! Rock 'N' Roll Goes On The Road Again!!!! smiling smiley But why You Got Me Rocking?!? Hate This Song since Voodoo Lounge!!! And everytime i've seen them... they played it!sad smiley

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: April 28, 2013 10:47

Nice setlist! Not too adventures indeed but great list of songs.
I never get it why they play songs like JJF and Brown Sugar at the warm up gigs. Everybody there has heard those songs many, many times before and they sure don't need them to please the crowd like they have to when they play a stadium concert. I think everybody at a club show would prefer any other song than a warhorse!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: April 28, 2013 10:51

paulywaul
keefriffhard4life
paulywaul
kowalski
mnewman505
The Rolling Stones
2013-April 27

You Got Me Rocking
Respectable
She's So Cold
Start Me Up

Jumpin' Jack Flash

O whoops ........... silly me. Forgot Love In Vain !

to be fair wasn't Love In Vain credited accidently to the stones on one album?

Date: April 28, 2013 10:54

people are complaining about the setlist but the stones were never the grateful dead or even the black crowes or bob dylan. artists who change the setlist a lot, aren't afraid to play really deep album cuts, b-sides or unreleased songs and then mix in different cover songs all the time.

Date: April 28, 2013 10:58

keefriffhard4life

yeah, that was it.... 'accidently'

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: April 28, 2013 11:01

Just needed to replace YGMR with Doom & Gloom as opener!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 28, 2013 11:11

Little Queenie (Chuck Berry)
Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)

Three covers in a row, none that I ever liked that much but sounds like they did great otherwise!

Posted by: Sixsixseveneight ()
Date: April 28, 2013 11:23

Short video is up.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 28, 2013 11:37

Yeah the set list could have been more exciting but it must have been as thrilling as the Trabendo I'm sure!

For amateurs of useless trivia the Stones hadn't played for 133 days (had set a mission timer on my watch!)

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 28, 2013 11:43

CONGRATULATIONS to all of you who were there and a big THANKS for the reports.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 28, 2013 11:48

gotdablouse
Yeah the set list could have been more exciting but it must have been as thrilling as the Trabendo I'm sure!

For amateurs of useless trivia the Stones hadn't played for 133 days (had set a mission timer on my watch!)

L.A. setlist was way better than Trabendo in my opinion.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 28, 2013 11:57

Hope that once Mick Taylor gets some more band practgice that he'll be on stage for longer. It would seem that way.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 28, 2013 12:01

Considered on its own, it is a very attractive setlist.

Really to meet again from the long distant past, "Love in Vain", featuring Mick Taylor, what a treat! Of course, that applies to "Midnight Rambler" as well. But the novelty factor this time lies in "Love in Vain". However, now it is used up as a novelty. I hope for the band to be able to have some kind of novelty effect at each concert.

It is probably a consequence of a shorter show, I have to admit. But as it is, the setlist contains some, but not all the warhorses. My hope is that also a longer show will not feature all the warhorses and alternate which ones are included from concert to concert. To me they will become much more of an attraction that way.

I also hope for variation in the Mick Taylor part of the setlist. The same to their choices of cover versions and to their other selfpenned songs. I also hope that the three latest studio albums are represented, but even there that there is a variation of which song, (I hope for more than one), that is played.

If all of these wishes were granted, and if the setlist of this last concert was an example of that, I am thrilled at the prospect only of reading all following setlists .And there will be major or minor surprise elements built in. Because I believe in the effect of surprise elements. And I will be looking forward to Hyde Park on July the 13th even more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-28 12:08 by Witness.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 28, 2013 12:10

sonomastone
keefriffhard4life

yeah, that was it.... 'accidently'

Not accidently. In '69 all Robert Johnson compositions where considered open domain, and hence if you change a bit here and there you can add or change credits. Later on all compositions where registered to Johnson, and since the '90's the rights to the Johnson catalogue lies with his son Claude.

Jagger announced LIV as 'a Robert Johnson song' at Hyde Park 1969, so they didn't pretend they wrote it.

Mathijs

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: April 28, 2013 12:16

I was there...will read the thread tomorrow..nite smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home