Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Miss You
Date: December 18, 2022 01:10

GasLightStreet
Taylor1
Pietro
The song owes a lot to the great Billy Preston, who came up with the bass line. What's a disco song without a good bass line? Preston should've been given a writing credit, but the Stones were never very generous giving those away.
Mick Taylor was playing similar bass on Fingerprint File .Not sure Billy Preston should be credited for the bass line, although I did read about his claim of credit.

OMFG, alright, point out where Mick T is playing a similar bass line to what is credited to Billy. Similar because it's up on the neck? High notes? There's noting "similar" at all except for some "high notes" - Mick T played within the riffage. And there are plenty of other songs in the history of rock pre-1977 that have similar bass playing stylings.

No Rolling Stones' bass player could play like Stanley Clarke, but if you cannot interpret Taylor's juicy bass playing on fingerprint file at a musical level, you are either plain deaf, or you just don't like Taylor as a musician. I suspect both.

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: December 18, 2022 01:21

TheflyingDutchman
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
Pietro
The song owes a lot to the great Billy Preston, who came up with the bass line. What's a disco song without a good bass line? Preston should've been given a writing credit, but the Stones were never very generous giving those away.
Mick Taylor was playing similar bass on Fingerprint File .Not sure Billy Preston should be credited for the bass line, although I did read about his claim of credit.

OMFG, alright, point out where Mick T is playing a similar bass line to what is credited to Billy. Similar because it's up on the neck? High notes? There's noting "similar" at all except for some "high notes" - Mick T played within the riffage. And there are plenty of other songs in the history of rock pre-1977 that have similar bass playing stylings.

No Rolling Stones' bass player could play like Stanley Clarke, but if you cannot interpret Taylor's juicy bass playing on fingerprint file at a musical level, you are either plain deaf, or you just don't like Taylor as a musician. I suspect both.

Mick Taylor IS a great bass player on Fingerprint File and his bass Line is a must

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 18, 2022 05:34

TheflyingDutchman
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
Pietro

Your judgment couldn't be further from the truth. Which makes you sound like a fanboy. You took it so far out of context it's not on any chart.

Posted by: jobt ()
Date: August 19, 2023 21:21

Like you've never heard it before.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 19, 2023 22:42

jobt

[www.youtube.com]

I do enjoy these and yes, I subscribed.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 20, 2023 18:03

Good song but it's been done to death. Mick seems to love it. After 1981 I don't care for it live. I love the version on Fort Worth 1978. I don't often listen to it any more so when I do I kind of enjoy it. I like the longer 8 minute version too.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 21, 2023 00:02

slew
Good song but it's been done to death. Mick seems to love it. After 1981 I don't care for it live. I love the version on Fort Worth 1978. I don't often listen to it any more so when I do I kind of enjoy it. I like the longer 8 minute version too.
I thought no it’s their most overrated warhorse.

Date: August 21, 2023 08:37

jobt

[www.youtube.com]

Seeing that it's apparently from 2023 then yeah, never heard before. But it shits out. A waste of time.

Your stupid hype SUCKS. Pathetic.

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: August 21, 2023 12:31

Great original version. Great singing. Great guitars, bass, drumming n keyboards. New production sound. New type of song structure. Great attitude. Great vibe. Passion. Classic Stones

12" version. Same as above, but just longer and funkier !!

Live '78. Brilliant, raw, guitar driven, bit funky with some great bass, Jagger singing as if he means it with attitude. Best version Memphis - amazing stuff

Live '81/82 . Kinda lost the '78 attitude and a bit too fast. Still guitar driven with same great bass from Bill tho. Jagger singing a bit going thro the motions with minimal attitude

Post '89 live till 2022. All a bit Miss You by numbers. Too keyboardy, going thro motions. Totally lost the original vibe and attitude. Sorry but a bit of a bore at times for me.......

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 21, 2023 13:03

jobt

[www.youtube.com]

That's great. Love hearing the various stems of Stones tracks. I couldn't find any more on your channel though, it says there is 'no content'. Do you have any more?

(also, forgive my ignorance, but why is GasLightStreet so put out by your post?)

Date: August 21, 2023 14:10

peoplewitheyes
jobt

[www.youtube.com]

That's great. Love hearing the various stems of Stones tracks. I couldn't find any more on your channel though, it says there is 'no content'. Do you have any more?

(also, forgive my ignorance, but why is GasLightStreet so put out by your post?)

Well, you can read rather unpleasant posts from «jobt» (and his other countless monikers) in various threads on here. He is trying to sell his bootlegs/counterfeit stuff of officially released songs in the Tell Me-section of IORR, instead of doing it low-key in the Hot Stuff-section.

Date: August 21, 2023 19:42

Ok, thanks Dandy. I liked to hear these few snippets, but sounds like the guy is hard work.

Date: August 21, 2023 19:45

Ok, thanks Dandy. I liked to hear these few snippets, but sounds like the guy is hard work.

Are these extrapolated with some software, hence the 'inauthenticity' arguments? Or is it the business model? I can't deny that it was fascinating to hear those instrument tracks.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 22, 2023 12:58

jigsaw69
Great original version. Great singing. Great guitars, bass, drumming n keyboards. New production sound. New type of song structure. Great attitude. Great vibe. Passion. Classic Stones

12" version. Same as above, but just longer and funkier !!

Live '78. Brilliant, raw, guitar driven, bit funky with some great bass, Jagger singing as if he means it with attitude. Best version Memphis - amazing stuff

Live '81/82 . Kinda lost the '78 attitude and a bit too fast. Still guitar driven with same great bass from Bill tho. Jagger singing a bit going thro the motions with minimal attitude

Post '89 live till 2022. All a bit Miss You by numbers. Too keyboardy, going thro motions. Totally lost the original vibe and attitude. Sorry but a bit of a bore at times for me.......

1978: Great, funky, fun track
1981: Fantastic, explicit, raw guitar and bass driven, elevated by the fabulous Ernie Watts. Hampton 1981 is the best version ever.
1982: Quite ok, but it misses the rawness of 1981, and Chuck Leavell spoils it
1989/1990: Re-invention of the track, played faster and with a more thumping bass. The electronic harp was great back then, a highlight of the show.
1994 - to date: absolutely utter boring. Time to go home when the intro starts. Darryl should shine here, but it just never grooves.

Mathijs

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 22, 2023 13:27

gotta agree here Mathijs...they've ruined a great live track....but Miss You remains one of their best ever.

Date: August 22, 2023 13:35

Was it in 2003 they played it on the B-stage (Mick with headphone mic)? That was the nadir, imo. It's still too fast, and the groove is more or less gone, but it's a tad better today. Fag break for Keith.

Date: August 23, 2023 19:20

Heard someone drive by yesterday in a jeep or something and the middle break of Miss You with the Central Park line was blaring and it sounded awesome. Just another reminder of how cool of a tune Miss You is.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 23, 2023 19:41

DandelionPowderman
Was it in 2003 they played it on the B-stage (Mick with headphone mic)? That was the nadir, imo. It's still too fast, and the groove is more or less gone, but it's a tad better today. Fag break for Keith.

Wasn't that 2006? I remember the Britney Spears headphones on that awful Austin release where the sidemen and techs overdubbed just about everything, including the screaming girls.

Mathijs

Date: August 23, 2023 20:35

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Wasn't that 2006? I remember the Britney Spears headphones on that awful Austin release where the sidemen and techs overdubbed just about everything, including the screaming girls.

Mathijs

It was indeed, thanks.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 24, 2023 13:04

Hello, no Wyman, no groove. Maybe Billy came up with a version of the bass line, but nobody PLAYS it like Wyman. You would think the great Miles Davis bass player would get it right. He never does. They pretend he does, but it's lame.

It's true that Miss You didn't last very long as a good stage number for them. They turned it into a rock song when it's not. Probably for the Disco Sucks crowd that couldn't stand anything different, or more relevant to its time.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2234
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home