Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Miss You
Posted by: vincentwhirlwind ()
Date: January 6, 2013 22:36

I always thought Lexington Kentucky 1978,was the best they ever played it, That's the weaving Keith always talked about!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 6, 2013 22:42

vincentwhirlwind
the weaving Keith always talked about!

i'm really having a bad day here

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 6, 2013 22:44

StonesTod
Chris Fountain
ryanpow
With any genre of music , a certain percentage of it is crap and disco is no different. But there were some quality disco music made that holds up today.

Ryanpow- No offense, I do not consider MY as a disco song. It's too slow to be a dance song.

then why were all those ppl dancing to it in the discotheques?

Only an opinon, Iguess the Discos speed up up the song to accomodate the ectasy users. I do not have insight on Disco music, but if that it is the case then maybe it's plausable? The album version , which is overplayed on commercial radio may prove your point. As a Stones purest, I belive the song is just a pop song that had no business being on Some Girls? Correct me if album is not correct.

Respectfully C

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: January 6, 2013 22:49

this uptempo minor key song, carried up by the wild groovy base lines, and humble but rough guitar riffs , always makes me jump from my seat and dance like cracy. smiling smiley love it !

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 6, 2013 22:49

StonesTod
vincentwhirlwind

Let me make it better...

I, personally, believe that the weaving between the boys is the most underrated factor in what made da Stones the best rock'n roll band in the world.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 6, 2013 22:53

It's a damn sight better than Do Ya Think I'm Sexy by Rod, or Sister Disco by The Who.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 6, 2013 22:53

That's cold snow man!

Date: January 6, 2013 23:01

Chris Fountain
StonesTod
Chris Fountain
ryanpow
With any genre of music , a certain percentage of it is crap and disco is no different. But there were some quality disco music made that holds up today.

Ryanpow- No offense, I do not consider MY as a disco song. It's too slow to be a dance song.

then why were all those ppl dancing to it in the discotheques?

Only an opinon, Iguess the Discos speed up up the song to accomodate the ectasy users. I do not have insight on Disco music, but if that it is the case then maybe it's plausable? The album version , which is overplayed on commercial radio may prove your point. As a Stones purest, I belive the song is just a pop song that had no business being on Some Girls? Correct me if album is not correct.

Respectfully C

i'm in no position to correct....i can't even understand what you said. that's the way my day's been going ever since my dog hurled this morning...

Date: January 6, 2013 23:02

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
vincentwhirlwind

Let me make it better...

I, personally, believe that the weaving between the boys is the most underrated factor in what made da Stones the best rock'n roll band in the world.

at least you didn't give me the ol' "i for one" business...i'm thankful for that.

Date: January 6, 2013 23:06

I simply think of dancing music such as bands like KC and the Sunshine Band , Donna Summer, bee Geees to certain point. Even Whtney Houstn. However, Stones songs are intended for listening purposes only. Such as Maggie Mae, for example. These songs get you fired up, but do not facilitate dancing. It may bob your head, however, I think most Stones fans will not get up in their Living Room and run around dancing. Air guitar may be in play, but juking around seems beyond reach. Again, I could be way wrong in this opinion, but this is my response to subject.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 6, 2013 23:09

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
vincentwhirlwind

Let me make it better...

Yes, but is the weaving "very unique"? I personally think so.

Date: January 6, 2013 23:25

71Tele
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
vincentwhirlwind

Let me make it better...

Yes, but is the weaving "very unique"? I personally think so.

you ppl can be so cruel and hurtful sometimes.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 6, 2013 23:38

It's because of Miss You that Stones fans think another hit is always possible. When it came out no one expected them to be timely again, Some Girls was great.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 6, 2013 23:47

Chris Fountain
I simply think of dancing music such as bands like KC and the Sunshine Band , Donna Summer, bee Geees to certain point. Even Whtney Houstn. However, Stones songs are intended for listening purposes only. Such as Maggie Mae, for example. These songs get you fired up, but do not facilitate dancing. It may bob your head, however, I think most Stones fans will not get up in their Living Room and run around dancing. Air guitar may be in play, but juking around seems beyond reach. Again, I could be way wrong in this opinion, but this is my response to subject.

But then again,
Miss You is less dated than say, Start Me Up or It's Only Rock and Roll.
There is something timeless about music that relies essentially on a groove and beat -
it never loses that feel, or looseness.
This song is a masterpiece of groove and swagger.
As Tele said, Mick is most 'Mick' in this song - sly, sexy and vulnerable all at the same time. While Ronnie, Mick and Keith weave those funky lines so seamlessly...
and then Charlie and Bill giving the song that heavy bottom.
After Exile, Miss You is a great encapsulation of everything that is great about the Stones. And that it happened to occur in a song that resonated in a certain time just makes the Stones far more relevant than what the Who, Kinks, Zeppelin came out with during that same time.
'Superman' anyone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-06 23:50 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 6, 2013 23:47

DoomandGloom
It's because of Miss You that Stones fans think another hit is always possible. When it came out no one expected them to be timely again, Some Girls was great.

Excellent point. They kept reminding people of their versatility.

Date: January 6, 2013 23:50

stupidguy2
DoomandGloom

Excellent point. They kept reminding people of their versatility.

Heck, Might As Well Get Juiced shoulda been a hit too...that was the last semblance of versatility seen inside Stone City Limits

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 7, 2013 00:38

Great studio track. Horrible live track after 1978. I'd rather they take a 15 minute intermission than play this song anymore.

Date: January 7, 2013 00:51

buffalo7478
Great studio track. Horrible live track after 1978. I'd rather they take a 15 minute intermission than play this song anymore.
Amen

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: January 7, 2013 00:58

DoomandGloom

Precisely. If you were a Stones fan in early 1978, you knew the odds were stacked against them.
They hadn't had a smash hit since Angie, Keith was heading to the slammer for all we knew, Punk and Disco and arena rock bands were all the rage....nobody thought the Stones had another #1 hit left in them, much less a smash hit LP.
Being a Rolling Stones fan when Miss You, and subsequently Some Girls, was released was friggin incredible. Pure joy. We rocked and rolled to that LP all summer long. And we played it loud.

Date: January 7, 2013 01:09

Start Me Up wasn't a Hit? In 1981. Still played evrwhere on Earth.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 7, 2013 01:29

Great song but I am tired of it now.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 7, 2013 01:32

Title5Take1
From the book (mine's paperback) Playboy Interviews with John Lennon & Yoko Ono: JOHN LENNON: "'Bless You' is again about Yoko. I think Mick Jagger took 'Bless You' and turned it into 'Miss You'... The engineer kept wanting me to speed that up—he said, 'This is a hit song if you'd just do it fast.' He was right. 'Cause as 'Miss You' it turned into a hit. I like Mick's record better. I have no ill feelings about it. I think it's a GREAT Stones track, and I really love it. But I do hear that lick in it. Could be subconscious or conscious. It's irrelevant. Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it."

The only vague similarity you might hear is at 0:30, when Lennon hums a line that he claims Jagger copped for the intro melody of Miss You--still not even close. Lennon was obviously lying about having given up on drugs, because you'd need a pretty good toke and a snort to see the similarities between the two songs that he talks about.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 7, 2013 03:22

souldoggie
DoomandGloom

Precisely. If you were a Stones fan in early 1978, you knew the odds were stacked against them.
They hadn't had a smash hit since Angie, Keith was heading to the slammer for all we knew, Punk and Disco and arena rock bands were all the rage....nobody thought the Stones had another #1 hit left in them, much less a smash hit LP.
Being a Rolling Stones fan when Miss You, and subsequently Some Girls, was released was friggin incredible. Pure joy. We rocked and rolled to that LP all summer long. And we played it loud.
Some Girls and Love You Live were what we listened to in 1978. Stones were as hip as they were in 1965, The Beatles were long gone, Zeppelin fading through the out door, sadly Keith Moon's last year 1978. 30+ years later Stones are still Respectable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-07 03:30 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 7, 2013 04:38

Chris Fountain

'Stones songs are intended for listening purposes only?' Are you pulling my leg? They've always been, and Mick has always described them as, a dance band. You don't think kids were scooting back and forth at sock hops in 1965 to 'Satisfaction'? It's what differentiated them from Dylan and The Beatles. You could dance to the Stones! I can't stay nailed to my chair like some Zombie when that slinky funk of 'Hey Negrita' plays. 'Harlem Shuffle', come on, if you have a heartbeat that bass has to move you.

The Stones were, of course, more than just a disco band. It was another pop stage they went through. They are a pop band. It's in their DNA. Yes, they loved blues, r&b, and rock and roll, but they loved hit records and money more. They were also a folk band. A psychedelic band. A garage band. They have always been so much more than just that narrow sliver of 1968-1972. (And hell, you can dance to 'Brown Sugar' and 'Bitch' real easy).

Date: January 7, 2013 05:00

Miss You is always described as a disco song, but it's actually a straight rock track with a solid twin guitar attack, and the song is also darker, in its portrayal of fading middle-aged debauchery, than the lighter, more smiley-faced fare that was disco.

There is, however, a toned-down "disco" version [by Bob Clearmountain], with bass and keys mainly featured in the mix, which was, after all, the central musical hallmark of true disco songs.

Date: January 7, 2013 05:04

Excellent use of commas.....

Date: January 7, 2013 05:34

Munichhilton
Excellent use of commas.....

Thanks! Just doing my part, trying to save lives. Angels need their wings, and guitars need their strings....[I'm fond of ellipses as well]

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 7, 2013 07:52

stonehearted
Title5Take1
From the book (mine's paperback) Playboy Interviews with John Lennon & Yoko Ono: JOHN LENNON: "'Bless You' is again about Yoko. I think Mick Jagger took 'Bless You' and turned it into 'Miss You'... The engineer kept wanting me to speed that up—he said, 'This is a hit song if you'd just do it fast.' He was right. 'Cause as 'Miss You' it turned into a hit. I like Mick's record better. I have no ill feelings about it. I think it's a GREAT Stones track, and I really love it. But I do hear that lick in it. Could be subconscious or conscious. It's irrelevant. Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it."

The only vague similarity you might hear is at 0:30, when Lennon hums a line that he claims Jagger copped for the intro melody of Miss You--still not even close. Lennon was obviously lying about having given up on drugs, because you'd need a pretty good toke and a snort to see the similarities between the two songs that he talks about.

That melodic line is repeated more than once in "Bless You," and I think Lennon's claim is possible, myself. I always wondered why Mick titled it "Miss You" instead of "I Miss You"...until I read the Lennon quote, when I thought maybe Mick— with the similarity of the title—was obliquely tipping his hat to John.

Rod Stewart—I recently read in his autobiography—was sued by Ben Jor because a melodic line in "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy" was similar to one in Ben Jor's song "Taj Majal." Rod had heard the song a bunch in South America, but hadn't consciously copied that line (he says), but when it was pointed out he promptly paid Ben Jor royalties. He realized it was a lift, even if subconscious.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 7, 2013 08:01

tomcasagranda
It's a damn sight better than Do Ya Think I'm Sexy by Rod, or Sister Disco by The Who.

I can see the comparison for Stewart's Sexy, but Sister Disco is totally different.

Date: January 7, 2013 08:19

tomk
tomcasagranda

I can see the comparison for Stewart's Sexy, but Sister Disco is totally different.

Totally different indeed--because Sister Disco is an anti-disco song.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1862
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home