Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Does anyone else think the Stones should discretely call it a day?
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 27, 2012 04:59

JumpinJackOLantern
Max'sKansasCity
drbryant
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat
Five great shows, the legacy enhanced, everybody in a happy place. Is there any benefit in prolonging the experience and watering down the feelgood factor? A great comparison would be the Cream concerts in 2005. May in London everybody had a great time. October in New York not such a great time.

Very good question. As a live rock 'n roll act they are simply the greatest of all time - really nothing left to prove there. As songwriters (in the category of rock 'n roll bands) they are only surpassed by the Beatles. The only knock on them (fairly or unfairly) in decades is that they can no longer produce great songs. I happen to think that every album they produced through Bridges was excellent - and yes, that includes Dirty Work. But, I am undoubtedly in the minority with this line of thinking. As far as their overall legacy is concerned I think they rank right alongside the Beatles, all things considered. However, if they would suddenly begin to produce great songs again and close with one last great album (or two) then I think they enhance their legacy to the point of overhauling the Beatles. Some think they already have. My gut feeling tells me they will continue doing live shows as long as they are relatively healthy. I don't worry about them suddenly "falling off", because Mick will never allow that to happen in the first place.

I think Black Hat and JJO'L might be the same person!

SECONDED!!!

Come on, Max! Don't tell me you are becoming paranoid too? What's in the water around here?

Its OK, we lost the damn book,
so we have no idea what to do after someone thirds it...
so I retract my seconded winking smiley

I just dont cotton to another one of these "should they quit now" threads, it gets me all uppity and shiznit!

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 27, 2012 05:05

keep playing. they are musicians not professional football players.

Date: December 27, 2012 05:09

Max'sKansasCity
I mean WTF!!!?? We hang around this place for 4 fkg years... infighting and getting cabin fever as we all wish for something to happen, for our favorite band to do something... and at times it looked dim.... AND THEN!!!! AND THEN THEY DO IT!!! THEY RELEASED THE 2 NEW SONGS AND PLAY 5 GREAT GIGS!!! and then the noobs come streaming saying THEY SHOULD STOP NOW!!! and anyone thinks that will gat a happy fkg reaction?!!!?? PROBABLY NOT!!!! Not from me anyway.

Personally, as long as they can perform at (or near) the level they recently performed at, I say continue doing the live shows. I also want them to give us that one last great album that I know is in them. They were challenged and rose to the occasion. No reason they can't rise to the occasion in the studio and produce one last great album. Doom And Gloom and One More Shot are a good starting point. I love both of these songs. I would love to see them hit 55, even 60, but only as long as they are performing at a reasonably high level. Would be cool to see them do club shows when they are in their 80's.

Date: December 27, 2012 05:59

Midnight Toker
keep playing. they are musicians not professional football players.

Are you sure? I thought Mick was a running back the way he sprints around the stage!

Date: December 27, 2012 06:15

Max'sKansasCity
JumpinJackOLantern
Max'sKansasCity
drbryant
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat
Five great shows, the legacy enhanced, everybody in a happy place. Is there any benefit in prolonging the experience and watering down the feelgood factor? A great comparison would be the Cream concerts in 2005. May in London everybody had a great time. October in New York not such a great time.

Very good question. As a live rock 'n roll act they are simply the greatest of all time - really nothing left to prove there. As songwriters (in the category of rock 'n roll bands) they are only surpassed by the Beatles. The only knock on them (fairly or unfairly) in decades is that they can no longer produce great songs. I happen to think that every album they produced through Bridges was excellent - and yes, that includes Dirty Work. But, I am undoubtedly in the minority with this line of thinking. As far as their overall legacy is concerned I think they rank right alongside the Beatles, all things considered. However, if they would suddenly begin to produce great songs again and close with one last great album (or two) then I think they enhance their legacy to the point of overhauling the Beatles. Some think they already have. My gut feeling tells me they will continue doing live shows as long as they are relatively healthy. I don't worry about them suddenly "falling off", because Mick will never allow that to happen in the first place.

I think Black Hat and JJO'L might be the same person!

SECONDED!!!

Come on, Max! Don't tell me you are becoming paranoid too? What's in the water around here?

Its OK, we lost the damn book,
so we have no idea what to do after someone thirds it...
so I retract my seconded winking smiley

I just dont cotton to another one of these "should they quit now" threads, it gets me all uppity and shiznit!

Don't worry, the vast majority of their fans want them to continue. Like Mick said, they do it for us. As long as we keep showing up and screaming our heads off and buying their music they will continue. And we can trust Mick to never let them embarrass themselves. He will know when the time is right for them to stop doing the big shows - as in arenas. I doubt we will see many (if any) more stadium shows from here on in. I can't wait for the day they only do club shows because that's when us hardcores will finally get our wish of more rarities and less warhorses. Hope i live long enough to see it. Also hope they live long enough to do them.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 27, 2012 14:26

JumpinJackOLantern
Don't worry, the vast majority of their fans want them to continue. Like Mick said, they do it for us. As long as we keep showing up and screaming our heads off and buying their music they will continue.

So true. When you look at nowadays audiences, they are made up entirely of old people. The youngsters are ruled out because they can't afford to see the band. Without younger fans filling the increasing gaps amongst older fans in the years to come, it's only a matter of time until Mick simply can't do it for "us" anymore because the group of "us" = we, the people, the fans, gets increasingly smaller, like old veterans from WW2, or WW1. At a certain point in the future, there will be simply not enough fans left to justify the high production costs of a Stones show.

Club shows? Well, the recent arena shows were expensive enough already, but expect ticket prices 10 times higher for club shows if these are the only shows they are going to play. So be prepared to pay for 1 (ONE!) rarity in a club show the price you have paid for a whole show in 2012.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 27, 2012 15:44

StonesTod
flacnvinyl
How long until one of them looses their bladder on stage or breaks a hip..

you wouldn't pay top dollar to see that?? i just hope it's announced on their i-phone app in advance....
ouch

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 27, 2012 15:50

I would have no problem if they were overt.

Date: December 27, 2012 16:03

StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity
StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity
Anybody sick of The Stones and wishing they would quit, could/should themself quit watching/paying attention to them right now.... it would solve all your issues....

even this wart on my pinky finger?

It will clear it right up, if it is caused by your dislike for The Stones.

i don't just dislike...i loathe....can loathing cause it?

I loathe the way you can take any topic and just run with it!

Incidentally, my favourite live album is Loathe You Live.

Date: December 27, 2012 16:53

<Does anyone else think the Stones should discretely call it a day?>

Nope...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 27, 2012 16:59

DandelionPowderman
<Does anyone else think the Stones should discretely call it a day?>

Nope...

but what about the peeps above who said yep?

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: December 27, 2012 17:18

Alimente said "they are made up entirely of old people"...

Well he hasn't obviously been to all the shows I have, where I have been pleasantly surprised at the number of youngsters in the crowd. In fact at the London 02 show 25/11/12 for example there was a lot of youngsters there, in particular a line of young French guys sitting right behind me in block 111, (who must have only been in their twenties), and they were shouting and singing along loudly - i was amazed that they knew ALL the words to every song - the songs I have been playing all my life and it was my 60th birthday that night- it was just brilliant. In fact all the shows I have been to have been attended by lots of younger people who weren't even born when the Stones started.

"till the next time..."

Date: December 27, 2012 17:33

there's always a bunch of young french guys in block 111 who know all the words. nobody knows why...it's one of the great unsolved mysteries about this band.

Date: December 27, 2012 17:39

Aaawww.. and I thought you were gonna wish me happy birthday.. ha

Date: December 27, 2012 17:50

StonesTod
there's always a bunch of young french guys in block 111 who know all the words. nobody knows why...it's one of the great unsolved mysteries about this band.

Not exactly a mystery...they are on the Stones' payroll in order to sweeten the demographic structure of their audiences a bit. Remember the top models in the Beacon frontrow in Shine A Light? Same trick.

Date: December 27, 2012 17:53

alimente
StonesTod

Not exactly a mystery...they are on the Stones' payroll in order to sweeten the demographic structure of their audiences a bit. Remember the top models in the Beacon frontrow in Shine A Light? Same trick.

yeah, yeah - i was there, but they didn't know the words. it's these young french guys that are so puzzling. why french? why block 111? how do they know ALL the words??

Date: December 27, 2012 17:54

Starr
Aaawww.. and I thought you were gonna wish me happy birthday.. ha

i would have but you lied about your age...profile says 61. we don't take kindly to those who lie about such silly things here.

Date: December 27, 2012 17:55

StonesTod
alimente
StonesTod

yeah, yeah - i was there, but they didn't know the words. it's these young french guys that are so puzzling. why french? why block 111? how do they know ALL the words??

the lazy bastards may know all the words, but I'll bet don't know all the words in French though.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 27, 2012 17:56

Stones should roll until they can't no more.

Date: December 27, 2012 17:57

treaclefingers
StonesTod
alimente
StonesTod

the lazy bastards may know all the words, but I'll bet don't know all the words in French though.

and they prolly sip their champagne with their pinky fingers sticking out. yeah, i know their type....

Date: December 27, 2012 18:01

StonesTod
alimente
StonesTod

They were collected in the area around Mick's french castle and painstakingly trained and educated by Matt Clifford because the Beacon Theatre thing was waaaay too obvious. But why block 111? Indeed, THAT mystery remains unsolved so far. Anybody?

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:06

I didn't sign up to say the Stones should quit. And I'm not exactly new. Been here on and off for years under a number of different guises.

I just posed a question. Should they quit whilst they are totally on top or should they carry on and go out with a lesser bang?

Is there scope for differing opinions? Or do you just want to banter with people whose viewpoint is identical to yours?

Date: December 27, 2012 18:08

BlackHat
Is there scope for differing opinions?

there's scope for bad breath, but i don't see why it can't be used for other purposes.

Date: December 27, 2012 18:11

StonesTod
BlackHat
Is there scope for differing opinions?

there's scope for bad breath, but i don't see why it can't be used for other purposes.

just be careful it doesn't splash in your eye. it's lousy as eye-wash.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:23

Shattered

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-14 05:16 by chelskeith.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:28

superrevvy

So kindly refrain from any talk of them quitting.

On who's behalf are you asking this? I didn't realize this was your forum to police discussions upon.

So you speak on behalf of all of us then? I guess this goes for all of us then, hmm?

Thank you for telling him to not contimue a discussion, god forbid anyone posts something that you don't agree with, eh?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: December 27, 2012 18:31

jamesfdouglas
superrevvy

On who's behalf are you asking this? I didn't realize this was your forum to police discussions upon.

So you speak on behalf of all of us then? I guess this goes for all of us then, hmm?

Thank you for telling him to not contimue a discussion, god forbid anyone posts something that you don't agree with, eh?

It is starting to read like a one party state.

Date: December 27, 2012 19:06

BlackHat
jamesfdouglas
superrevvy

It is starting to read like a one party state.

It's pretty clear that the vast majority of Stones fans want them to continue, I only want them to continue if they can continue to perform at a reasonably high level. As I have said, a new album is more important at this point than doing any further shows. Not sure they see it that way though.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 27, 2012 21:32

BlackHat
I didn't sign up to say the Stones should quit. And I'm not exactly new. Been here on and off for years under a number of different guises.

I just posed a question. Should they quit whilst they are totally on top or should they carry on and go out with a lesser bang?

Is there scope for differing opinions? Or do you just want to banter with people whose viewpoint is identical to yours?

I've counted 6, so far....

Will your next great revelation be posted on October 31, 2013?

Date: December 27, 2012 22:03

Well I thought it was a site for Stones fans not immature jealous little p____ks like we seem to have infiltrating this site - it is THEY who don't like it when we disagree... ha - Block 111 were true fans not a setup believe me - no-one came out of the 02 disappointed from what I could see so grow up and join some other losers site for goodness sake. It isn't just the "oldies" who love the Stones (and if the site says I'm 61 then shock, horror it must be wrong - you guys betta run home and tell your Ma) haaaaa...

Don't bother with pathetic replies this site is for the millions of real fans whatever their age.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2015
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home