Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Does anyone else think the Stones should discretely call it a day?
Posted by: wildwildhorses ()
Date: December 26, 2012 22:42

your`e on fire Rockman....thats good !

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: December 27, 2012 00:42

Starr
Were "BlackHat" or "Windmelody" actually at any of those concerts? I've never heard such crap really...! All I saw at 02 in November was a fantastic show by the greatest band in the world, with a capacity crowd (couldn't see one empty seat) who enjoyed every moment of the show. The place was "bouncing" from what I saw (and i was there..!) Regarding the 2007 tour I saw them in 2006 (beginning of the tour) at LA Forum, Sheffield UK in 2007, Cardiff UK after that and then 02 arena London at the end of the tour - AND I MUST SAY every show was absolutely fantastic - the last one in 2007 at 02 was the best and Keef was on fire (despite all the crap about him) from where I was sitting - the place rocked to the rafters believe me if you weren't there.
Makes me wonder to be honest.

"till the next time..."

Yes I was at 02 on 29 November. It was brilliant. I want the Stones to go out in the best way possible and now seems to be the right time. In my opinion.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 27, 2012 00:53

Play on little Stones play on. As long as Charlie is willing to play I'm on board. Really they have to do it for Mick, with all his pal bands and projects outside The Stones deep down he thrives on this and would be a lost puppy without his mates. They got it right with the short tour, perhaps another few variations in 2013. As far as Cream, was London better? I was in NY and it was the best concert of my life, I'm a little surprised to read it was a let down for some.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 27, 2012 01:16

No.

Don't Stop.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: December 27, 2012 01:17

I don't see any point in being discreet. I say Go Out with something controversial and crazy.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 27, 2012 01:45

thumbs downIf they did all we'd have left to talk about would be politics and Springsteen...eye rolling smiley

Posted by: TomGreen ()
Date: December 27, 2012 01:45

It's interesting because Mick sounded terrible on IORR on this run of shows but very powerful on things like All Down The Line.

Keith's playing is seriously degrading my a measurable level each tour now. They have simply left it too long. If they are to continue now, they cannot afford a two, three and certainly not a five year hiatus again. They need to either stop at these 50th shows or continue to carry on until they retire.

They are easily capable of a new studio record or two so it would be a shame if they didn't make at leats one more.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 27, 2012 01:56

DoomandGloom
Play on little Stones play on. As long as Charlie is willing to play I'm on board. Really they have to do it for Mick, with all his pal bands and projects outside The Stones deep down he thrives on this and would be a lost puppy without his mates. They got it right with the short tour, perhaps another few variations in 2013. As far as Cream, was London better? I was in NY and it was the best concert of my life, I'm a little surprised to read it was a let down for some.

The only one who had a problem with the New York leg of the Cream tour in 2005 was Ginger Baker, and only after the first show and only because he thought Jack Bruce's amps were too loud. For subsequent shows, they built a Plexiglass shield around Baker's drum kit and then things went smoothly. The shows were hugely successful and fan interviews post-show were wildly ecstatic.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 27, 2012 02:24

Max'sKansasCity
seitan
BlackHat
Five great shows, the legacy enhanced, everybody in a happy place. Is there any benefit in prolonging the experience and watering down the feelgood factor? A great comparison would be the Cream concerts in 2005. May in London everybody had a great time. October in New York not such a great time.

that's what they said in 68, 70, 76,1980, 1990, etc...so no, keep it going...they dont have to play up to your fantasies, I hope they play until they croak
X2 RIGHT ON!!smileys with beer you can say that again!

hot smiley

Date: December 27, 2012 02:33

Yeah BlackHat joined up here to tell us they're not worth watching.... This is a Fan Club after all.... Party on, play till you drop, 2013 the best year is yet to come.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 27, 2012 02:49

I was of the "Keith Can't Play" camp prior to seeing what they have going now and I was only partially right. They still have something left. Whether it blossoms or withers remains to be seen. It would indeed be tragic for a band member to lose control of his bladder on stage but until then there is money to be made (see the Richards girls threads) so - no.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-27 02:50 by bleedingman.

Date: December 27, 2012 02:58

i am much younger than KR and have partial arthritis in my picking hand. It is hell, I've had to change picks and reinvent myself when it's most chronic. I've started exercises and am starting to beat it, I can only imagine how bad pain in my chording hand could be. In the end you must play till you can't. My theory is Keith kept his rings on while he slept, probably for months and that contributed to his contorted hands. Likely he's found a way to negate most of his finger pain but the numbness is another story.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 27, 2012 03:04

DoomandGloom
i am much younger than KR and have partial arthritis in my picking hand. It is hell, I've had to change picks and reinvent myself when it's most chronic. I've started exercises and am starting to beat it, I can only imagine how bad pain in my chording hand could be. In the end you must play till you can't. My theory is Keith kept his rings on while he slept, probably for months and that contributed to his contorted hands. Likely he's found a way to negate most of his finger pain but the numbness is another story.

Have you ever tried those magnet bracelets? I poohed poohed them until..... someone I repected said try it, and I was surpried. It is not that they do anything you feel... it is more what I dont feel/notice when I am playing, hand fatigue. You dont have to spend a lot to try them, maybe juts $5-10. Dont buy the high dollar version, maybe try the cheap one available at the local drug store type place...

Posted by: sizey ()
Date: December 27, 2012 03:08

I don't recall Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker and Howlin Wolf being asked the same question - Stones just following the Blues line - rock till you drop !

Date: December 27, 2012 03:16

DoomandGloom
Yeah BlackHat joined up here to tell us they're not worth watching.... This is a Fan Club after all.... Party on, play till you drop, 2013 the best year is yet to come.

In fairness, I don't think he was saying they're not worth watching. To your other point, this is a fan forum that happens to consist of lots of former fans. Meaning they are no longer fans of the band as they exist today.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: December 27, 2012 03:28

No.

Surely there is more booty left to plunder.

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: December 27, 2012 03:28

Max'sKansasCity
BlackHat
Five great shows, the legacy enhanced, everybody in a happy place. Is there any benefit in prolonging the experience and watering down the feelgood factor? A great comparison would be the Cream concerts in 2005. May in London everybody had a great time. October in New York not such a great time.

SO YOU JOINED THIS MESSSAGE BOARD LAST WEEK MAINLY BECAUSE YOU WANT THEM TO QUIT AND YOU WANTED TO CREATE THREADS ABOUT THAT?

I'm no Stones hater and neither is Black Hat. He is just asking a intelligent question. Thats all. Maybe the Stones should quit now or maybe they should play till one of the three no longer can. This is a board for DISCUSSION MAX.

Date: December 27, 2012 03:30

talkcheap
Max'sKansasCity
BlackHat

SO YOU JOINED THIS MESSSAGE BOARD LAST WEEK MAINLY BECAUSE YOU WANT THEM TO QUIT AND YOU WANTED TO CREATE THREADS ABOUT THAT?

I'm no Stones hater and neither is Black Hat. He is just asking a intelligent question. Thats all. Maybe the Stones should quit now or maybe they should play till one of the three no longer can. This is a board for DISCUSSION MAX.
AND THERE IS ALREADY A THREAD TITLED THE SAME AS THIS, LOOK IT UP, DONT START ANOTHER ONE....

Date: December 27, 2012 03:33

I just assume most new names are simply previously banned people coming back for more crap, esp when they get uppity and nasty quickly.

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: December 27, 2012 03:48

We first person who thougt the Stones would quit was Mick Taylor who belived he was leaving a sinking ship. Something he bitterly regret over the years then he seas hundreds of million dollars for the Stones. Even Bill Wyman didn't see that kind of money, It was later the big bucks came. I think Mick is very sorry leaving the band and how things has turned out for him financially and in ill health.
He said in an interview the drug problem got worst after quitting the band.

Date: December 27, 2012 03:55

BlackHat

Very good question. As a live rock 'n roll act they are simply the greatest of all time - really nothing left to prove there. As songwriters (in the category of rock 'n roll bands) they are only surpassed by the Beatles. The only knock on them (fairly or unfairly) in decades is that they can no longer produce great songs. I happen to think that every album they produced through Bridges was excellent - and yes, that includes Dirty Work. But, I am undoubtedly in the minority with this line of thinking. As far as their overall legacy is concerned I think they rank right alongside the Beatles, all things considered. However, if they would suddenly begin to produce great songs again and close with one last great album (or two) then I think they enhance their legacy to the point of overhauling the Beatles. Some think they already have. My gut feeling tells me they will continue doing live shows as long as they are relatively healthy. I don't worry about them suddenly "falling off", because Mick will never allow that to happen in the first place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-27 03:58 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 27, 2012 04:01

JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat

Very good question. As a live rock 'n roll act they are simply the greatest of all time - really nothing left to prove there. As songwriters (in the category of rock 'n roll bands) they are only surpassed by the Beatles. The only knock on them (fairly or unfairly) in decades is that they can no longer produce great songs. I happen to think that every album they produced through Bridges was excellent - and yes, that includes Dirty Work. But, I am undoubtedly in the minority with this line of thinking. As far as their overall legacy is concerned I think they rank right alongside the Beatles, all things considered. However, if they would suddenly begin to produce great songs again and close with one last great album (or two) then I think they enhance their legacy to the point of overhauling the Beatles. Some think they already have. My gut feeling tells me they will continue doing live shows as long as they are relatively healthy. I don't worry about them suddenly "falling off", because Mick will never allow that to happen in the first place.

I think Black Hat and JJO'L might be the same person!

Date: December 27, 2012 04:01

drbryant
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat

SECONDED!!!

Date: December 27, 2012 04:04

I mean WTF!!!?? We hang around this place for 4 fkg years... infighting and getting cabin fever as we all wish for something to happen, for our favorite band to do something... and at times it looked dim.... AND THEN!!!! AND THEN THEY DO IT!!! THEY RELEASED THE 2 NEW SONGS AND PLAY 5 GREAT GIGS!!! and then the noobs come streaming saying THEY SHOULD STOP NOW!!! and anyone thinks that will gat a happy fkg reaction?!!!?? PROBABLY NOT!!!! Not from me anyway.

Date: December 27, 2012 04:07

talkcheap
We first person who thougt the Stones would quit was Mick Taylor who belived he was leaving a sinking ship. Something he bitterly regret over the years then he seas hundreds of million dollars for the Stones. Even Bill Wyman didn't see that kind of money, It was later the big bucks came. I think Mick is very sorry leaving the band and how things has turned out for him financially and in ill health.
He said in an interview the drug problem got worst after quitting the band.

Young people make a lot of stupid decisions that they regret later in life. I know I did. The problem is you don't realize it until it's far too late. I am sure Mick Taylor has some regrets.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 27, 2012 04:07

Max'sKansasCity
drbryant
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat

SECONDED!!!

Thirded

Date: December 27, 2012 04:08

Ok... I fogret what happens now... someone got the book? winking smiley

Posted by: stonemexico ()
Date: December 27, 2012 04:49

In 1972 my preparatory school classmates would tell me that the Stones were almost done.

Forty years later they are still here in almost top form.Mick is superhuman,Keith is starting to show his age,Ronnie is fine,Charlie of course is a cancer survivor.
I saw the December 15th concer in New York and were great,read the reviws for the other shows and except for Barclays they were fine.But how long can they last until they are no longer in top form and become an oldies band?

I think they should have a huge concert and retire in top form.

I hate to say what I just said.But I love them so much and have enjoyed them so much over the years,that I would hate to see them as some many bands that didnt know when to call it quits.
Sincerely

Date: December 27, 2012 04:51

drbryant
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat

Not this again! No, I am not Black Hat! Or Don Was! Or Johnny Depp!

Date: December 27, 2012 04:53

Max'sKansasCity
drbryant
JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat

SECONDED!!!

Come on, Max! Don't tell me you are becoming paranoid too? What's in the water around here?

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1750
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home