Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: it literally turns my stomach
Posted by: mandrax1972 ()
Date: October 19, 2012 16:54

Jagger has some nerve writing a song "doom & gloom" while he is charging those ticket prices

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: October 19, 2012 16:59

Gazza
lmatth8461
Gazza
As a result the shows appear to be sold out (well, theyre sold out if you factor in the thousands of wannabe ticket touts who buy the tickets, suddenly realise they cant go and put them on other sites for even sillier money which no one in their right mind will buy).

After seeing the absurd prices people are asking on eBay, GetMeIn etc. I do wonder if there might be something reasonable on offer at the last moment.
I've no doubt a lot of people have loaded up their credit card debt this morning on the basis of seeing Bill & Mick T on stage next month. Totally out of my reach, and even if it was not, I wouldn't go for it. £150 got me into the third row from the stage last time. £400+? Not for me.

Lee

To get even more perspective. Madison Square garden is traditionally one of the most expensive places (per average ticket price) to see the Stones. In January 2006, my flight from Dublin to New York cost £200 and the ticket cost £160. £360 in total..maybe about £380 after fees got added on, I guess.

This morning, for a show in London, I was offered a ticket for £400 which appeared to be located somewhere in outer space.

There comes a time when you have to draw a line in the sand at how much you allow someone to take the piss out of you. Today was mine.

the strange thing is that I feel just as pleased with myself that I was finally able to say 'no' after all this time as a lot of other people are about the fact that they got tickets!

Re: your last sentence - me too! Couldn't get on either site at 9.00, stopped trying after 5 minutes, went back at 9.50ish and See Tickets were offering floor level 108 for £406 and I shut it down. Even knowing that was actually a good seat compared to some of the shite for the same price. I was in 108 for their last night last time, (at £150 + fees), and I know it's a long way away from stage front and the sound is very muddy there. (Better upstairs actually.) To pay 2.5 times as much this time - no. And now I know for sure I'm not going and I actually feel quite liberated. I've escaped the Stones money machine! Youtube will do and I expect there'll be a DVD anyway.

Am not ruling out paying something equally ridiculous next year but the difference is we'll know if they can still cut it or not. I think people are taking a huge risk on their investment this time round.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: October 19, 2012 16:59

no @#$%& way i´ll pay 600euros,or even 300 for that matter.2003 i paid 60 euros to see them at the Munich cirkus crone.So far Helsinki-2007 was my last stones gig.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:00

What a load of crap. We all have to face the fact that Stones are not a normal band, but an instutution, a museum of 50 years R&R history. Combined with the fact that it will all be over soon: high ticket prices.

Compare it to a very fine 3 Michelin star restaurant. It'll cost you 500 bucks to eat a full menu. Is it worth it? That's up to you -if you think not go dine somewhere else. But you can't go screaming about that the chef used to work at your local pizza parlour when you where young 40 years ago, and that he made $6 pizza's then. The guy's evolved to be a super chef, and the 3 stars he's earned makes it possible for him to charge as much money as he wants. And guess what? Try to book a reservation at Noma in Denmark, or The Fat Duck in London. You won't get one, it's fully booked for the coming 9 months.

The Rolling Stones are the Fat Duck of the entertainment industry.

Mathijs

Posted by: maloup ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:07

Me too.I'm beginning to hate these people,they behave like gods.But it is
our own fault I think.We made them to what they are now.I do not want any
of these ticket's and fans should have boycotted these concerts.

Date: October 19, 2012 17:07

Mathijs
What a load of crap. We all have to face the fact that Stones are not a normal band, but an instutution, a museum of 50 years R&R history. Combined with the fact that it will all be over soon: high ticket prices.

Compare it to a very fine 3 Michelin star restaurant. It'll cost you 500 bucks to eat a full menu. Is it worth it? That's up to you -if you think not go dine somewhere else. But you can't go screaming about that the chef used to work at your local pizza parlour when you where young 40 years ago, and that he made $6 pizza's then. The guy's evolved to be a super chef, and the 3 stars he's earned makes it possible for him to charge as much money as he wants. And guess what? Try to book a reservation at Noma in Denmark, or The Fat Duck in London. You won't get one, it's fully booked for the coming 9 months.

Mathijs

thumbs up

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:09

kovach
Gazza
Theyre planning a tour next year, yes.

I'm not saying that fans in every country will be specifically paying £400 for nosebleeds. You can adjust the figure for each individual economic region in relation to cost of living figures, etc.

However, as this probably wont be a long tour like we're used to,theres also the likelihood that they'll just keep it to the sort of 'A' markets that can afford to pay them the £4 million plus per show fee that they're rrportedly getting for these four shows. Whether that means massive stadiums or arenas is probably down to the local promoter who has to find a way of making a profit on the venture.

That's what I was thinking, the prices will be adjusted per market. They'll still be the highest ever in each market...but maybe not to the extent that they're selling them for these 4 shows.

Although it may not be much different if they go with the "A" market plan...plus we then get to pay for travel and lodging.

I desperately want to have my 11 year old see the Stones! But I need to decide if it's worth cashing in his college fund for. grinning smiley

I know your kidding but in case your not, DON"T DO IT! But I do advise you cashing in any and all long term retirement funds you have, now that makes senseeye popping smiley

Date: October 19, 2012 17:10

You cannot compare a dinner with a concert,Rolling Stones or not.

Date: October 19, 2012 17:14

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

Mathijs

thumbs up

I understand what you are trying to say, but the emotional bonds between this band and its fans is different from the ones between a restaurant and its patrons.

The meal eaten in restaurant go to the guts and then to the toilet.

The music goes to the mind, to the heart of the people. And remains typically for ever. There will always be fans thinking they are entitled to "require" some kind of beheaviour to the band (who says "we love you" or things like that in concerts). There is an implicit emotional/afective bond which implies "rights" and "obligations" so to speak. And the band has failed to them.

fredlynn19
despite tough time for many of us, there are plenty of people who have a ton os extra money and will pay even if they dont really care about the stones. or they have jobs where they get the tix for free from business. demand is there so prices are gonna be high....pretty simple.

Yeah, I think your right! Wouldn't it be something, if your employer gave you Stones tickets rather than a raise!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()

What's up with this "we made them what they are" bullshit ?

Springsteen is a good example of a wildly popular artist that has the best interest of his fanbase in mind.

It does not HAVE to be this way if the Stones do not want it.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:15

jazzbass
Also, this tour serves as a barometer as to what they will be able to charge for tickets for larger (stadiums) this summer...

Unfortunately it doesn't. When they can be secure by pushing tickets for an average of $400 to half an arena of individuals, and sell the other half to brokers who try to push them for even more, you'll never know if people are willing to pay 100 will you?

jazzbass
... but the number of seats and fan opportunity to a maximum. IMO, this will translate to an appropriate supply of reasonably priced tickets for the masses.

Well it could. But you're mistakenly thinking they'll maximise your chances when in fact, they're maximising their profit.

Posted by: Cineplexed ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:16

Your original post up top is dead on. The Stones really @#$%& me (and I'm sure other fans) over in 2002 when they offered a top dollar ticket that guaranteed "what are considered best seats in the house".My seats were about as far from the stage as you could get. But they had their money and I noticed (soon after I complained loudly to all at Clear Channel) that the words "considered best seats in house" were removed from the website. Thanks Stones for showing what 45 years of loyalty gets you.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:16

Mathijs

Mathijs

Well now, there's a consoling thought, you know what happens to fat ducks eventually........................

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:18

My thought is that Wyman will join them at the 02 shows and Taylor(he's only booked for shows Nov 24 and 30) will join them at the Prudential Center shows.

It could be the reason for the outrageous ticket prices.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:19

Sorry, but it's primarily fat cats who eat at the likes of exclusive restaurants like the Fat Duck. There is no justification for making a public (not private) Stones concert exclusive by pricing out your average Joe public.

In any case, the comparison is a poor one because presumably Noma, the Fat Duck etc. will be open for many years to come and anyone who chooses to spend their money there can make a reservation to go any night of the year, albeit that they might have to book months in advance. The Rolling Stones don't play every night of the year.

Date: October 19, 2012 17:20

Yes I know the difference between Springsteen and The Stones.The Stones however
think they can afford it to behave like this.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:21

2000 LYFH
fredlynn19
despite tough time for many of us, there are plenty of people who have a ton os extra money and will pay even if they dont really care about the stones. or they have jobs where they get the tix for free from business. demand is there so prices are gonna be high....pretty simple.

Yeah, I think your right! Wouldn't it be something, if your employer gave you Stones tickets rather than a raise!

A friend of mine works for a noted entertainment magazine and he will simply take clients and then expense the entire evening.

Date: October 19, 2012 17:22

Yes Beat,I agree with You

Date: October 19, 2012 17:23

Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs are you serious, 9 months to get a seat in these restaurants? I would say it's time to expand at any cost!

Date: October 19, 2012 17:25

Eh sorry Beast,I agree with You.

Posted by: stonesrick ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:25

Gazza

There comes a time when you have to draw a line in the sand at how much you allow someone to take the piss out of you. Today was mine.

the strange thing is that I feel just as pleased with myself that I was finally able to say 'no' after all this time as a lot of other people are about the fact that they got tickets!

That's exactly the way I feel Gazza. Although I intended going to see Crossfire Hurricane on Tuesday, because of these obscene ticket prices, I lost my Mojo and just couldn't be bothered.

The same has happened with my football club, Blackburn Rovers who have been taken over by idiotic owners and a useless management team. I have not stepped foot in the place for over 18 months and won't return until they disappear. 'Kean Out, Venkys Out'.

Sadly, I feel the same about the Stones and I too feel relieved that I haven't succumed. Decided to treat my loved ones instead to a break somewhere nice.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:35

don't they have something cheaper at the fat duck? like maybe the gizzards or neck or something?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:39

Beast
Sorry, but it's primarily fat cats who eat at the likes of exclusive restaurants like the Fat Duck. There is no justification for making a public (not private) Stones concert exclusive by pricing out your average Joe public.

In any case, the comparison is a poor one because presumably Noma, the Fat Duck etc. will be open for many years to come and anyone who chooses to spend their money there can make a reservation to go any night of the year, albeit that they might have to book months in advance. The Rolling Stones don't play every night of the year.

Most times they dont play any night of the year!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:40

remember the carol burnett show soap opera sketch, "as the stomach turns?"

....yeah, that was awesome....

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:41

Gazza
lmatth8461
Gazza
As a result the shows appear to be sold out (well, theyre sold out if you factor in the thousands of wannabe ticket touts who buy the tickets, suddenly realise they cant go and put them on other sites for even sillier money which no one in their right mind will buy).

After seeing the absurd prices people are asking on eBay, GetMeIn etc. I do wonder if there might be something reasonable on offer at the last moment.
I've no doubt a lot of people have loaded up their credit card debt this morning on the basis of seeing Bill & Mick T on stage next month. Totally out of my reach, and even if it was not, I wouldn't go for it. £150 got me into the third row from the stage last time. £400+? Not for me.

Lee

To get even more perspective. Madison Square garden is traditionally one of the most expensive places (per average ticket price) to see the Stones. In January 2006, my flight from Dublin to New York cost £200 and the ticket cost £160. £360 in total..maybe about £380 after fees got added on, I guess.

This morning, for a show in London, I was offered a ticket for £400 which appeared to be located somewhere in outer space.

I'm happy for you Gazza. I haven't said yes yet,but I know I'm gonna cave.
In normal life, in the midst of this never ending recession, most of us spend our money carefully, yet the Stones have no concept of the difficulties their "fan base" face - and if they did they wouldn't give a flying f**k anyway.For once, I've actually saved up for a tour, but with these prices (and I don't do crap seats) it's gonna' be gone in 2 gigs. Just a month ago New York was been planned. Not a chance now. I can't wait to see the blank stares when they do I wanna' be your Man etc. to their new audience of rich bankers down in the "mosh" pit with their secretaries.Rock and Roll ?

sc uk

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:44

Gazza

That a nice try... and I admire your logic... and all... but you know... and I know... and we all know.... come the day of the show... you will say to the wife... "Hon, Im off to get some smokes... and out the door you will go... and you will be pulled to the airport... and fly to London.... you will be there.

As soon as you posted your post... that thing in your stomach kicked in... it started that pang in your brain... a wheel started turning... a voice said "must see the Stones"... Must see Stones... why? because it is what we do.

Maybe you will be plucked up by a big bird, pulled into a van, win tickets on the radio... or just get on the plane Blane... but rest assured, come that night.... you will be there... it is what we do.

PS
Don t misunderstand... I believe that you honestly believed what you posted,
you believed that you wouldnt go... but in you heart... you know the deal....

Aint no Stones concert gonna come that close to you and you gonna miss it because of a stupid ticket price... even to make a stand on principal... even if you know the show may not be as good as you have seen in the past... it is what we do.

Im not going either... but it will be a little harder for me... it will take more than a simple 365 mile plane ride... Newark is further, so I will be drawn earlier than the day of the show.... the pull is strong one.... I aint going... but... yeah... I am.... it is what we do.

I SAID I AM NOT GOING!!!!.... and I mean it this time... really!!!... I do... I mean it... it is too far... and too much... and I can not afford to make the trip.... but... yeah... I can.

DAMN IT!!!

Posted by: mandrax1972 ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:47

I love Ronnie's comments a few months back that "we owe it to our fans" to get back together. Hysterical.....

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 19, 2012 17:47

At the end I decided to pay. Floor, Keith side. I guess I should feel stupid. And somehow I do. But I'm in. At this point I will deal with my conscience the morning after the show.

C

Date: October 19, 2012 17:51

Max'sKansasCity
Gazza

That a nice try... and I admire your logic... and all... but you know... and I know... and we all know.... come the day of the show... you will say to the wife... "Hon, Im off to get some smokes... and out the door you will go... and you will be pulled to the airport... and fly to London.... you will be there.

As soon as you posted your post... that thing in your stomach kicked in... it started that pang in your brain... a wheel started turning... a voice said "must see the Stones"... Must see Stones... why? because it is what we do.

Maybe you will be plucked up by a big bird, pulled into a van, win tickets on the radio... or just get on the plane Blane... but rest assured, come that night.... you will be there... it is what we do.

PS
Don t misunderstand... I believe that you honestly believed what you posted,
you believed that you wouldnt go... but in you heart... you know the deal....

Aint no Stones concert gonna come that close to you and you gonna miss it because of a stupid ticket price... even to make a stand on principal... even if you know the show may not be as good as you have seen in the past... it is what we do.

Im not going either... but it will be a little harder for me... it will take more than a simple 365 mile plane ride... Newark is further, so I will be drawn earlier than the day of the show.... the pull is strong one.... I aint going... but... yeah... I am.... it is what we do.

I SAID I AM NOT GOING!!!!.... and I mean it this time... really!!!... I do... I mean it... it is too far... and too much... and I can not afford to make the trip.... but... yeah... I can.

DAMN IT!!!

So Max, Are You going or Not?confused smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home