Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 40
Re: "Doom And Gloom" Will Be Released This THURSDAY
Date: October 11, 2012 12:31

gotdablouse
That second guitar in the right sounds a lot like Mick to me?

@justing - I extracted the 720p YouTube video, currently transfering on wetransfer, will post the link when available. The audio is AAC, need to find an extractor, thought VLC would do it, no luck so far.

Any YT video with the iTunes version ?

He never plays around with the rhythm that way. The guitar that starts it all is Mick, however.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: October 11, 2012 12:40

Bah. Two listens, that will do. Totally uninteresting. Indeed they could pay any session musicians to record a song "in the style of" and it would result in that. Empty shell.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 11, 2012 12:48

otonneau
Bah. Two listens, that will do. Totally uninteresting. Indeed they could pay any session musicians to record a song "in the style of" and it would result in that. Empty shell.

thumbs up

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 11, 2012 12:48

Hmm, forgotten the song already.

Ah well! I'm off back to the land of Their Satanic Majesties Request. smoking smiley

Date: October 11, 2012 12:50

gotdablouse
Ok here's the MP3 rip from the official video : [wtrns.fr]

If anyone knows where to listen to the iTunes version, besides iTunes, please share!

Thanks thumbs up

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: October 11, 2012 12:53

ZZ Top with Mick on main guitar, Ronnie here and there, Keith and Charlie missing ... that's what the stones are nowadays. Better than what I've expected, Worse than what I've dreamed.
ciao
m.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 11, 2012 12:58

jiggysawdust
The album version at iTunes is MUCH better

Absolutely, much better sound.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: October 11, 2012 12:59

partnerincrime
ZZ Top with Mick on main guitar, Ronnie here and there, Keith and Charlie missing ... that's what the stones are nowadays. Better than what I've expected, Worse than what I've dreamed.
ciao
m.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:03

LOVE IT!! better than that Plunder My Soul crap

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:05

More Hot Rocks

OOO!!!

Posted by: Doxa ()

Hmm.. we are back to 1983... "Undercover of The Night" meets ELIMINATOR (or whadda hell that ZZ Top album was called).

Well, that's my impression of the backing track. The song itself lacks substance, and Jagger is too lazy to write anything musically memorable, but just shouts it through and shows the whole scale of the tricks and sounds he knows. Which still is surprisingly fresh and energetic. The statement of the song is easily to be haerd: we rock as hard as ever.

Altogether, it is a nice track. It could've been worse (but better as well). I think it works better than any of their latter day rockers (say, from 2001 on). The rhythm part sounds fresh compared to the way too obvious, cliche-like things like "Rough Justice" or "Oh No Not You Again", and it is probably that which makes it more interesting. Not heard the album version, though.

Actually it is better than expected. Not much, but still.

- Doxa

Posted by: spain73 ()

"In the style of..." .... that's the Stones style, that's what we like, don't we?
I didn't actually expect a Sex Pistols or Paul Simon's style song...
We expected good rock and roll and that's what we get... Of course, it's not Brown Sugar or Tumblin' Dice but it's a good song anyway.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:08

So... what did Keith do on this track?

Date: October 11, 2012 13:12

More Hot Rocks

thumbs up

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:14

Instantaneous judgements like so many on here, really BORE me, and I'm sure everyone else, yes the sound is modern, which I like, always enjoyed their attempt to stay and sound contemporary. I really enjoy the lyrics, it's a good clear dramatic picture, and one v suitable, ironically to a group of men in their late 60s etc Video is great and simple. I enjoy the energy and lyric, for that deeper kick, you will only know if you are still occasionally playing it years down the line. For me I love Stealing My Heart, ONNYA, LMDS, although I still deeply desire them to go for some really LONG narrative track a la MM, Winter, TWFN, Moonlight Mile, Going Home, Thru & Thru blah blah blah BUT I think the Stones CONTINUE to exist & CREATE in the gap(massive as I suspect it largely is now) between MJ's need to remain CREATIVELY & COMMERCIALLY relevant(nothing wrong with that at all) and KR's romantic yearning for a "back to basics" approach, which I believe to be real, but underused, I imagine largely through neglect, BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS I like it, I like it, YES I DO!

Date: October 11, 2012 13:14

GravityBoy
So... what did Keith do on this track?

The guitar in your right ear: Radio Edit.

The guitar in center: Album version.

He's playing a straight open G rhythm guitar. A couple of times he does his trademark stuff, dropping the G-string from B to G.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:18

spain73
"In the style of..." .... that's the Stones style, that's what we like, don't we?
We expected good rock and roll and that's what we get... Of course, it's not Brown Sugar or Tumblin' Dice but it's a good song anyway.

I think it is little 'out of the box' actually. Yeah, they have put there samples of the trademark Keef-riffing (played by anyone) for even the most stupid listeners to remind that it is "The Stones, man", but still it is not a typical Stones rocker, thanks basically of that rhythm track (and some 'ZZ Toppian' guitars).

I give my credits for that: the Stones not blindly copying themselves and trying to sound as 'authentic' as they can - we had that enough of that in A BIGGER BANG, thank you.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-11 13:22 by Doxa.

Posted by: dubclub ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:19

Hmmpfff......this time i agrrrree to Doxa (´s Undercover/Eliminator post)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-11 13:23 by dubclub.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:20

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-11 13:20 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:21

So they picked this over Keith's "One More Shot" to the single...that can't be a very good sign for that other song !

Date: October 11, 2012 13:23

as I only have access to 30 seconds of the iTunes-version, I'm very interested to hear why people regard the sound better on that one?

To me, the soundscape sounds over-crowded when they put Keith's guitar in the center channel. And what about the drums?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:24

After listening to D&G several times now, I must say I get bored with it quite fast...

Mathijs

Date: October 11, 2012 13:26

Anyone else think this was already half recorded when they turned up in the studio?

Date: October 11, 2012 13:26

Re "Undercover / Eliminator": The Stones's guitar sound is still timeless, though thumbs up

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:27

GravityBoy
Anyone else think this was already half recorded when they turned up in the studio?

Who is 'they'? Mick Jagger and wife?

Mathijs

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:30

Doxa
spain73

I think it is little 'out of the box' actually. Yeah, they have put there samples of the trademark Keef-riffing (played by anyone) for even the most stupid listeners to remind that it is "The Stones, man", but still it is not a typical Stones rocker, thanks basically of that rhythm track (and some 'ZZ Toppian' guitars).

I give my credits for that: the Stones not blindly copying themselves and trying to sound as 'authentic' as they can - we had that enough of that in A BIGGER BANG, thank you.

- Doxa

Any "authentic" song in the last decade? In the last 25 years maybe? If "authentic" means Exile or Beggar's, forget about it... that time will NEVER come back again. That's a fact, we must not expect that again... we love these boys and they keep makin' good songs in their seventies... That's all.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:30

it´s only rock n´roll but i like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: October 11, 2012 13:31

The 2 day Paris smoke and mirrors thing.

I think Mick brought a recording and so did Keith.

And they "embellished" them.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:35

It's Only Rock 'n Roll ... and I like it smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:35

GravityBoy

Yes it was. From an earlier RS session, not MJ. Production-wise this is not a diamond I would say...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2313
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home