Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: Why The Dislike For Motley Crue?
Posted by: ChrisO ()
Date: September 18, 2012 15:07

straycatdevil
Not really into motley crue but I know where you're coming from. I have said i like some early KISS albums on this site and got jumped. I also said i didn"t like zeppelin and pissed off people. I've been a Stones freak my whole life but if you don't like the usual suspects on here-beatles,floyd,zeppelin,etc. you're an idiot.Especially a band like motley crue or KISS. Some bands like these have made some fun party rock albums but the "critics" don't like them.

Straycatdevil,
I definitly see where your coming from with this! I've been a Stones freak since I was in 10th grade-1977, and don't care a heck of a lot for L.Z. either. But Motley Crue is near the top of my list along with P.J. Harvey, Jimi Hendrix & Johnny Winter.

Thanks for adding here!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-18 15:14 by ChrisO.

Posted by: ChrisO ()
Date: September 18, 2012 15:13

Title5Take1
Would Mick get a tattoo of Keith?

Title5Take1,
Thank you for posting this, I didn't know!
What an honorable thing to do for one of your best friends!
I have nice ink of Bonnie & Clyde on my forearm's and might finds some room for M.C.!
Thanks again!
Chris

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 18, 2012 15:13

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
I've tried to listen to Motley Crüe many times. They are lame, they're not a rocking band, imo.

From the same era, this is, imo, the real deal - what they should have been (and perhaps tried to be). Too bad they killed the drummer.

Love Hanoi; Dandy, did you like it when Monroe and McCoy reformed in 02?

Loved it! Saw them two times. Both shows were unbelievably good!

Hanoi Rocks were great, it´s funny how lame all those hair metal bands like Motley Crue were, when you compare them with the real deal, Hanoi Rocks.
Hanoi's roots were deeper in the 70's rock n roll, punk rock, rolling stones, etc..- yes, Hanoi was the real deal. smileys with beer

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: September 18, 2012 15:37

Hanoi Rocks were nothing but a New York Dolls rip off. Hardly the real deal.

Date: September 18, 2012 15:54

Glammy
Well, if you put it like that then...New York Dolls were nothing but a Rolling Stones rip off. Hardly the real deal. And The Rolling Stones were nothing but a Muddy Waters rip off. Hardly the real deal. And Muddy..he was nothing but...

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: September 18, 2012 16:13

The only resemblances between the Stones and the Dolls are that both are making music (that sounds nothing like the other) and their lead singers are skinny with big mouthes and both bands have (had) dark haired drugged out guitarists.

Hanoi Rocks on the other hand are a carbon copy of the Dolls. Musically and visually.

Date: September 18, 2012 16:15

Glammy

Musically speaking, I think you're way off here. Fashion-wise, perhaps.

Musically, Hanoi was way more into the Stones, the blues and Alice Cooper than what the Dolls managed to sound.

Hanoi was simply more funky, bluesy and rocked more - with saxophones, piano and harps integrated into the sound, even though I like the Dolls as well.

A little homage to the Stones round the 3:05 mark in this clip winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-18 16:18 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 18, 2012 17:29

hanoi rocks? jeez. all those glam metal poseur bands with interchangeable singers sucked, man

i mean come on lookit the fruitbasket singer

generally speaking i abhor rock bands with pretty men with big, long hair wearing a shit load of makeup, that 'glam' band look

yeah the stones wore makeup sometimes, keith with his menacing eyeliner and all that crap, but i don't consider it to be a shitload, even if his daughters raid his make-up bag before heading out for a night on the town. i suppoer if i had one question with keef it would be 'what's with all the eye liner, man??

meanwhile there are three basic looks in glam metal; your "Glam Pirate," your "Glam Cowboy" and to a lesser extent your "Glam Biker", and no matter how glam gay that sounds, glam Metal is actually really f*cking glam manly, in as much as these dudes did nothing but bang hot chicks, do drugs, and get in fights, which explains why the lyrical content of their so called songs is primarily about sex with hot chicks, doing drugs, and / or getting in fights

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-18 17:34 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Posted by: KeefRichards88 ()
Date: September 18, 2012 19:14

Funny How This Topic came uot the day after I saw KISS and Motley Crue

I got into the Crue in 2006, and Have seen them 6 times since. I just took a friend with me who never liked hair bands or KISS, but after a year of talking him into it he gave in. He told me that was one of the greatest concerts ever. A Motley show is like no other. They always have a completely different stage show every year and although they mostly play their greatest hits, they always change up the order every tour to keep it fresh. They do through in a new song or a song they have not played in a while just to give their fans something special.

They are much like the Stones in a way that every tour is a different stage and the songs are in a different order every tour. Yeah both bands will play the hits because that is what people seeing them for the first time are going to want to hear, but they both put a lot of effort into their stage shows to really treat the audiance with a night they will always remember.

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: September 18, 2012 19:22

"They are much like the Stones" Oh no they're not!

The trouble with bands like Motley Crue is that they don't swing. They aren't funky in a way that bands like The Stones are. They are lumpen, boring and a strain on the ears. See also Guns and Roses, Poison, Ratt etc.

I read a bit of the guy from Motley Crue's autobiography once and it was a good read. But it can't detract from the fact that they are sad, sad, sad. (See what I did there?).

Date: September 18, 2012 19:46

pinkfloydthebarber
hanoi rocks? jeez. all those glam metal poseur bands with interchangeable singers sucked, man

i mean come on lookit the fruitbasket singer

generally speaking i abhor rock bands with pretty men with big, long hair wearing a shit load of makeup, that 'glam' band look

yeah the stones wore makeup sometimes, keith with his menacing eyeliner and all that crap, but i don't consider it to be a shitload, even if his daughters raid his make-up bag before heading out for a night on the town. i suppoer if i had one question with keef it would be 'what's with all the eye liner, man??

meanwhile there are three basic looks in glam metal; your "Glam Pirate," your "Glam Cowboy" and to a lesser extent your "Glam Biker", and no matter how glam gay that sounds, glam Metal is actually really f*cking glam manly, in as much as these dudes did nothing but bang hot chicks, do drugs, and get in fights, which explains why the lyrical content of their so called songs is primarily about sex with hot chicks, doing drugs, and / or getting in fights

how in the world are hanoi rocks interchangeable with any of the glam l.a. bands?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 18, 2012 19:51

I don't even need words to explain why I don't really like them. I'll use a pic of their debut album...

Gee, where on earth did they get that idea from?
eye rolling smiley

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: September 18, 2012 20:13

phelge

The trouble with bands like Motley Crue is that they don't swing. They aren't funky in a way that bands like The Stones are. They are lumpen, boring and a strain on the ears. See also Guns and Roses, Poison, Ratt etc.
But they're not up there doing Chuck Berry covers.
Not EVERY band has to swing! I'm sick of people using that as an excuse as to why a band sucks and the Stones are better. Blah blah blah.

Date: September 18, 2012 20:37

GumbootCloggeroo
phelge

Not EVERY band has to swing! I'm sick of people using that as an excuse as to why a band sucks and the Stones are better. Blah blah blah.

i think the point there about 'swing' was, uh, the stones had a remarkable rhythm section and these glam bands ummm..... didnt

how in the world are hanoi rocks interchangeable with any of the glam l.a. bands?

glam bands from ANYWHERE are all interchangeable

even extreme metal heads (i know many, unfortunately) hated glam 'metal. thats because when they look at an alum cover of a metal band like say iron maiden (who also sucks far as i am concerned) they want to say " oh my god, how can someone draw that," not "is the one on the left a girl?"

Date: September 18, 2012 20:38

What Phelge says about the non-swing is absolutely right. And that in turn can be traced back to what really matters at core, from the get-go. The Stones were about music; their idols were pure Blues people, and their drummer was a jazz drummer. This is a HUGE part of the Stones magic. (as all here know)
Then you get these next generation hair bands who idolize the Stones (=good), but the wrong part of them. They handily skip over the deeper, integral issues, and go straight to the eye-liner, the back-stage parties, the private jet, and stories about sleeping under the mixing console. Stories.
So their drummers probably idolize Bonzo (again, the wrong sides of Bonzo), and are bashers. In metal bands sadly the Bass is a perfunctory accessory. They"accessorize" with a Bass guitar. The bass lines might be roots and fifths with no exciting rhythmic development.

The LA hairbands are the culprits.
Hanoi Rocks is a very good band. I think Monroe's look actually hurt them because they have been lumped together with the no brainer LA groups. The Scandinavian bands are all usually very much in touch with what to do right IMO. From the Soundtrack o four Lives on up.
Guns & Roses could have become great. It was Izzy who brought the magic ingredient.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-18 20:54 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: September 18, 2012 20:39

pinkfloydthebarber
GumbootCloggeroo
phelge

i think the point there about 'swing' was, uh, the stones had a remarkable rhythm section and these glam bands ummm..... didnt

even extreme metal heads (i know many, unfortunately) hated glam 'metal. thats because when they look at an alum cover of a metal band like say iron maiden (who also sucks far as i am concerned) they want to say " oh my god, how can someone draw that," not "is the one on the left a girl?"

i can see you know nothing about hanoi rocks

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: September 18, 2012 20:41

I liked Kickstart My Heart but that's about it.

I prefer my metal like this;

Date: September 18, 2012 20:47

Glammy
Hanoi Rocks on the other hand are a carbon copy of the Dolls. Musically and visually.

Rubbish - listen - does this acoustic Hanoi psychedelia sound anything like the Dolls ..I dont think so.W
When did the New York Dolls write acoustic psychedelic music ? Never.
WHY DO PEOPLE EVEN TALK ABOUT THE NEW YORK DOLLS OR METAL BANDS..WHEN YOURE TALKING ABOUT HANOI ROCKS - JUST LISTEN.

HANOI ROCKS - Magic Carpet Ride

i'm gonna take a ride on a magic carpet,
gonna fly back to you
i'm travelling in time
through black and stormy skies
my mission is a mystery,
i'm recreating history
i'm following the stars
across the misty hills and the sea
its a long way into your heart,
when a million miles keep us apart
i'm on the edge of ecstacy,
my carpet is my dream mobile

i do it over, do it over, do it over, one more time
and i make it better, make it better, make it better, day by day

when the paradise is burning,
the heaven comes tumbling down...on me
my carpet is my deam mobile,
it takes me away, takes me away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-18 20:55 by seitan.

Date: September 18, 2012 20:54

seitan
Glammy

Rubbish - listen - does this acoustic Hanoi psychedelia sound anything like the Dolls ..I dont think so.

gonna fly back to you
i'm travelling in time
my mission is a mystery,
i'm recreating history
i'm following the stars

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-18 20:56 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: September 18, 2012 20:57

keefriffhard4life
seitan
Glammy

Rubbish - listen - does this acoustic Hanoi psychedelia sound anything like the Dolls ..I dont think so.

gonna fly back to you
i'm travelling in time
my mission is a mystery,
i'm recreating history
i'm following the stars

when did hanoi rocks write sings like that either? thats a cover tune and isn't even hanoi rocks. its the singer michael monroe with several other hard rock artists at the time. it was on a movie soundtrack

Listen before you post your comments, ok ?
NOT THE SAME SONG. THIS IS HANOI ROCKS, AND NOT THE COVER VERSION OF THE STEPPENWOLF CLASSIC, (Michael did a cover version on his solo career back in the 90's) but this song has the SAME TITLE - but it's a DIFFERENT SONG. DIFFERENT ERA. This is Hanoi Rocks song, written by McCoy/Monroe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-18 21:01 by seitan.

Date: September 18, 2012 21:01

seitan
keefriffhard4life
seitan
Glammy

gonna fly back to you
i'm travelling in time
my mission is a mystery,
i'm recreating history
i'm following the stars

when did hanoi rocks write sings like that either? thats a cover tune and isn't even hanoi rocks. its the singer michael monroe with several other hard rock artists at the time. it was on a movie soundtrack

nope - NOT THE SAME SONG. THIS IS HANOI ROCKS, AND NOT THE COVER VERSION OF THE STEPPENWOLF CLASSIC, SAME TITLE - DIFFERENT SONG. DIFFERENT ERA.

yeah i thought i deleted the comment before anyone saw it. i thought you posted this:

Date: September 18, 2012 21:07

keefriffhard4life
pinkfloydthebarber
GumbootCloggeroo
phelge

what do you think? that they were the greatest band in rock?

heard more than enough of 'em to write 'em off, and i own exactly zero of their records, i am very proud to say

and that goes for Poison, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Dokken, Skid Row, Ratt, Faster Pussy Cat, W.A.S.P and Cinderella etc too, all interchangeable and probably to make themselves even less distunguishable from each other they exchanged between them their wardrobes of leather, fishnet, cowboy boots, mascara, blush and eyeshadow, spandex, chains, bandannas, chiffon, leopard print, and pink fur (usually worn all at the same time for maximum 'badass' effect), and they apparently all shopped together too at wherever (female) strippers shop at

yet these glam rockers still thought they were somehow 'macho' despite spending three hours teasing their hair and painting their fingie nails

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-18 21:08 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 18, 2012 21:08

Four pages about a fake band? How on earth is that possible?

Mathijs

Date: September 18, 2012 21:15

pinkfloydthebarber
keefriffhard4life
pinkfloydthebarber
GumbootCloggeroo
phelge

heard more than enough of 'em to write 'em off, and i own exactly zero of their records, i am very proud to say

and that goes for Poison, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Dokken, Skid Row, Ratt, Faster Pussy Cat, W.A.S.P and Cinderella etc too, all interchangeable and probably to make themselves even less distunguishable from each other they exchanged between them their wardrobes of leather, fishnet, cowboy boots, mascara, blush and eyeshadow, spandex, chains, bandannas, chiffon, leopard print, and pink fur (usually worn all at the same time for maximum 'badass' effect), and they apparently all shopped together too at wherever (female) strippers shop at

yet these glam rockers still thought they were somehow 'macho' despite spending three hours teasing their hair and painting their fingie nails

shows what you know just like i thought. no use even explaining that hanoi rocks is from finland, started in the 70's and were poor which is why they wore makeup, to cover up how dirty they were from not taking showers. their singer michael monroe is a badass harmonica and guitar player too. there sound is rooted more in stones type rock, doo wop and punk. this early song from them showcases all 3 styles in 1 song:

Date: September 18, 2012 21:30

keefriffhard4life
pinkfloydthebarber
keefriffhard4life
pinkfloydthebarber
GumbootCloggeroo
phelge

shows what you know just like i thought. no use even explaining that hanoi rocks is from finland, started in the 70's and were poor which is why they wore makeup, to cover up how dirty they were from not taking showers. their singer michael monroe is a badass harmonica and guitar player too. there sound is rooted more in stones type rock, doo wop and punk. this early song from them showcases all 3 styles in 1 song:

yeah yeah i know where HR is from, how long they were together, that razzle died, and all the rest. its beyond me why i even know this shit because i surely dont care. at any rate these guys are a minor footnote in rock and roll history, at best, if that, and i dont think being scandinavian made them any better..

or all the hats.. they all look like zorro fer cryin out loud, and i wont even start on all the pouting

Date: September 18, 2012 21:41

pinkfloydthebarber
keefriffhard4life
pinkfloydthebarber
keefriffhard4life
pinkfloydthebarber
GumbootCloggeroo
phelge

yeah yeah i know where HR is from, how long they were together, that razzle died, and all the rest. its beyond me why i even know this shit because i surely dont care. at any rate these guys are a minor footnote in rock and roll history, at best, if that, and i dont think being scandinavian made them any better..

or all the hats.. they all look like zorro fer cryin out loud, and i wont even start on all the pouting

80's glam metal bands like Poison, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Dokken, Skid Row, Ratt, Faster Pussy Cat, W.A.S.P and Cinderella, etc... are nothing like hanoi Rocks, but it seems to me that your main probleam has nothing to do with music, it seems that you have some kind of homophobia and hatred for guys that wear make up, I'm sure you have that feeling about Little Richard, 70's Mick Jagger, David Bowie, Syd Barrett etc...

I really dont care if somebody has a long hair or make up, it's all about music to me. I hate eighties hair metal bands for a reason: I hate the 80's production sound wise and I hate Metal music, period..I love punk and seventies rock n roll and Hanoi Rocks had nothing to do with glam metal, they were not a metal band or even glam. I think they were late 70's and early eighties rock n roll band, sure some of them wore make up and hats, but they had nothing to do with the L.A glam metal scene. If you go past the image - you will find lot of interesting music on those Hanoi albums, just do yourself a favour - I posted song above "Magic Carpet Ride" - it's acoustic psychedelia and no glamrock/ metal band ever did anything like that, just take a listen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-18 21:42 by seitan.

Date: September 18, 2012 21:55

even talking about 80's hair metal poison and motley crue and totally different from w.a.s.p. who is traditional heavy metal band and cinderella is a very blues based rock band:

Date: September 18, 2012 22:32

it seems that you have some kind of homophobia and hatred for guys that wear make up

- are you hooked on hairspray?

look man you are the one who likes effeminate guys dressed like girls, not me. i like chicks, but, you know, the real kind. go book a session (or two) with your analyst about this issue. dont forgt to tell him guys wearing shoulder pads under their blouses and jackets really turns you on. to be fair the analyst needs to know exactly where your coming from.

glam hair metal petered out because people (present company apparently not included) eventually realized it was a swindle based on looks and appearance, not musical chops, it was a fad, and 'success' was primarily achieved through placing utmost importance on the ability to pout for the camera and wear zorro hats strategicallyy tilted in one direction or another.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-19 03:22 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Date: September 18, 2012 22:39

actually the first wave of hair metal bands, ratt, motley crue, w.a.s.p., twisted sister, dokken and quiet riot found success from touring not by how they looked. twisted sister had been banging it out in clubs since 1974 and were actually part of the original new york glam rock movement before slowing morphing into a heavier band. you can hear the earlier sound in these songs:

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 19, 2012 00:13

The proof is in the pudding. All of people on this thread whom have actually seen the Crue recently posted that they enjoyed the concert... and I bet if we asked the band, they would say "What else, and who else, matters?"

Good to see the original poster keep a positive attitude through out this thread in the face of fairly predictable results... predictable right down to the page 5 comment "How can this thread still be going?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-19 00:15 by Max'sKansasCity.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1389
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home