Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 53
Re: OT: Zeppelin Re-issues
Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: June 4, 2014 07:29

I really don't hear that much of a difference between this remastering and the remastering from the CD Box set from a few years ago, which I believe used the 1990 Remasters.

They don't sound brick walled, but it's certainly not a revelatory difference to my ears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-04 07:30 by Jimmy C.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: June 4, 2014 08:15

Brstonesfan
Overrated band.

Yeah and you are probably tonedeaf.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 4, 2014 09:28

I'm enjoying them on CD, but hopefully Zoso, Houses of The Holy, and Physical Graffiti will follow soon.

I wonder what magic awaits us re: Physical Graffiti ?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 4, 2014 10:02

Jimmy C
I really don't hear that much of a difference between this remastering and the remastering from the CD Box set from a few years ago, which I believe used the 1990 Remasters.

They don't sound brick walled, but it's certainly not a revelatory difference to my ears.

Yep - I can't hear much difference either. It's not radical. And why couldn't they have given us a 5.1 mix??? I gues that will be in the next re-release in 5 years! angry smiley

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: June 4, 2014 11:28

This is a major disappointment, I can´t hear any difference at all from earlier remasters, in fact some songs sound better on Mothership. And the bonus material - a couple of outtakes, some intrumentals, some live stuff - doesn´t motivate this release. Mr Page has milked the cow again...

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 4, 2014 11:40

Jimmy C

I find they sound closer to the original releases. It sounds like they went for a more conservative approach. A bit like with the Japanese Stones SHM-CD's from last year. However the hi-res versions available on various download websites (HDTracks, highresaudio, Qobuz...) are the real deal to me : more depth, more clarity...
Also the artwork is very well reproduced. Just one thing : why no inner sleeve for the CD's? It feels like they will have scratches very quickly...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 4, 2014 11:55

@ Svartmer :

The future lies in HD formats. CD is dead it's an outdated relic from the 80's. Even if Page (and Kev Shirley?) put all their hearts and skills into the remasters they'd still sound like crap on CD.

"You can't make a silk purse..." and all that.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 4, 2014 12:38

Svartmer
This is a major disappointment, I can´t hear any difference at all from earlier remasters, in fact some songs sound better on Mothership. And the bonus material - a couple of outtakes, some intrumentals, some live stuff - doesn´t motivate this release. Mr Page has milked the cow again...

There isn't really any unreleased material like finished outtakes. The way Zeppelin recorded was very much like The Stones with backing tracks perfected before vocals were added. Compared to what The Stones did with Exile or Some Girls, Zeppelin's outtakes hasn't been touched at all on these releases. I respectfully disagrees with your opinion on Mothership, witch were extremely loud mastered and had no dynamic range at all.

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 4, 2014 13:27

for me , it's all about the bonus material .the live disc from zepp 1,and the alternate takes ,which i can take or leave . i want more live tracks.that is the fun for me !!!

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: June 4, 2014 14:30

dcba
@ Svartmer :

The future lies in HD formats. CD is dead it's an outdated relic from the 80's. Even if Page (and Kev Shirley?) put all their hearts and skills into the remasters they'd still sound like crap on CD.

"You can't make a silk purse..." and all that.

Of course it´s possible to make improvements on cd, there are many examples of that, but these "remasters" are a joke because they don´t sound any better than earlier releases. As for the bonus material, kind of fun the first listening but...

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: June 4, 2014 16:15

Silver Dagger
Jimmy C

Yep - I can't hear much difference either. It's not radical. And why couldn't they have given us a 5.1 mix??? I gues that will be in the next re-release in 5 years! angry smiley

A fan who posts as Holland123 has created dvd-a 5.1 mixes of all the Zeppelin catalog except TSRTS and Coda...I think you can find them on Kickass torrents...they are amazing!

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 4, 2014 17:10

I have only listened to the '69 Paris show thus far. Total joy. Not perfect sound, but really interesting early live performance to hear. That kind of thing totally entertains me. Great energy, some sloppy solos, wonderful vocals... I love hearing the old live shows with all their imperfections.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 4, 2014 21:49

Mr.D
Silver Dagger
Jimmy C

A fan who posts as Holland123 has created dvd-a 5.1 mixes of all the Zeppelin catalog except TSRTS and Coda...I think you can find them on Kickass torrents...they are amazing!

Ugh - love to hear them. I don't do torrents but are there any other ways of obtaining these?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 5, 2014 20:26

His Majesty
GasLightStreet
What, exactly, does "pre-echo" mean? Echo before... an echo? That's stupid.

Sounds great though, so great that Glyn nicked the idea for You Got The Silver.

Recording reverb backwards equates as "pre-echo"?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 5, 2014 23:37

An alternate download site for the hi-res versions of the remastered albums : [www.livedownloads.com]
(and cheaper than HDTracks or Qobuz)

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 6, 2014 01:06

Anyone else notice the spinning wheel on LZ III looks like it should spin but doesn't?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 6, 2014 01:08

shadooby
Anyone else notice the spinning wheel on LZ III looks like it should spin but doesn't?
Are you just talking about the re-issue?

Date: June 6, 2014 01:13

Yes, the newly released cd digipak. The recreated art is superb other than that.

Date: June 6, 2014 01:16

shadooby

CD or vinyl? I got the CD reissues of LZ, LZ2 and LZ3 and the wheel spins on 3.

Companion discs are great. Why the Stones can't do something like this is beyond me. They don't have to finish - imagine if they'd done this with SOME GIRLS with the unfinished tracks like Figi Gim and Misty Roads etc - the sound quality alone is worth it.

Well, I guess maybe because they have so many albums? That's no excuse! Hell it would get me to buy DIRTY WORK again because what they didn't put on that album blows away everything on that album.

Date: June 6, 2014 01:16

shadooby
Yes, the newly released cd digipak. The recreated art is superb other than that.
OK, just wondering because I know the original LP cover does spin

Date: June 6, 2014 01:17

Didn't see the responses below your post about the wheel.

I got the... I guess it's the 'slip case' edition. Looks like a mini double vinyl album. That one spins. Didn't see any stupid digipak editions.

Date: June 6, 2014 01:19

GasLightStreet
shadooby

CD or vinyl? I got the CD reissues of LZ, LZ2 and LZ3 and the wheel spins on 3.

Companion discs are great. Why the Stones can't do something like this is beyond me. They don't have to finish - imagine if they'd done this with SOME GIRLS with the unfinished tracks like Figi Gim and Misty Roads etc - the sound quality alone is worth it.

Well, I guess maybe because they have so many albums? That's no excuse! Hell it would get me to buy DIRTY WORK again because what they didn't put on that album blows away everything on that album.

Mine doesn't spin, oh well I've still got the old vinyl.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 6, 2014 01:20

GasLightStreet

Recording reverb backwards equates as "pre-echo"?

Heh, I should have read the link, I thought this was about the effect on You Shook Me.

It's obvious what he's meaning when you listen to what he is talking about.

[www.thefreedictionary.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-06 01:24 by His Majesty.

Date: June 6, 2014 01:21

GasLightStreet
Didn't see the responses below your post about the wheel.

I got the... I guess it's the 'slip case' edition. Looks like a mini double vinyl album. That one spins. Didn't see any stupid digipak editions.

Same one I have, cardboard reproduction. I thought that was a digipak, my bad.

Date: June 6, 2014 01:32

Rather than create a new topic and have bv stick it here anyway (no offense), I'll save him the effort:

OT: Better drum solo...Toad or Moby Dick?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-06 01:33 by shadooby.

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 6, 2014 01:36

Deluxe version were done right, no silly modern overdubs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 6, 2014 01:36

shadooby
Rather than create a new topic and have bv stick it here anyway (no offense), I'll save him the effort:

Toad studio recording.

Both are utter bore fests live.

Date: June 6, 2014 01:41

His Majesty
shadooby

Toad studio recording.

Agreed, Toad is all Ginger on the studio track and as far as live, how long can it possibly take for the other band members to take a piss anyways?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-06 01:45 by shadooby.

Date: June 6, 2014 01:48

shadooby
His Majesty
shadooby

Toad studio recording.

Agreed, Toad is all Ginger on the studio track and as far as live, how long can it possibly take for the other band members to take a piss anyways?

...and considering that Toad was often the last song, Eric and Jack couldn't hold it in for just one more...?eye rolling smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 6, 2014 02:16

Listening to the concert disc from the new Led Zeppelin 1. It's awesome.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home