Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 59
Re: Mick Jagger to Host, Perform on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale May 19
Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 14, 2012 04:55

My brain has started to leak hard. It is making a mess out of my nice shirt.
But my brain can now CONFIRM what it had only been able to hint at up until now.

What only a few brave souls like myself had even dared dream!

It says here in my Funk & Wagnalls that three bands do NOT a rock festival
make. A "rock festival" requires at least FOUR bands!

Personally I thinK it is an OUTRAGE that they will apparently NOT be extending
SNL to at least two full hours to make room for my favorite of the four bands,
and clearly the BEST of them by far. And that is not an opinion, that is a FACT!

Especially when this giant of giant bands has lowered themself out of pure
love to honor and obey the 50th anniversary of The Rolling Stones! By writing
and performing a rock opera based on "The Legend of Mick and Keith 2012"!

Here! Inhale their awesomeness to make up for what you will be missing on SNL!
And then watch as I laugh with ego and pride when they steal the Festival shows
for their own amusement and glory!

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: May 14, 2012 04:55

foo fighters aint happening there headlining bambozle that day.as far as the stones being ready,they could of rolled out a bed after not being in the same room for 6 yeaers and been ready,there the stones people,wake up.

Date: May 14, 2012 05:05

This is Triumph the Insult Comic Dog coming to you LIVE from the very first of
the 25! Rolling Stones "Farewell" Festivals. As you know, many so-called
commentators have wrung their hands about the possible impact of having
so many angry under-employed Foo Fighters fans running around in packs like
dogs in these giant free festivals. Like DOGS is right, you bastards! Fooey!
How dare you smear the good name of all these fine young alcoholic potheads!
But thankfully, you the home viewer have arrived at a most opportune moment.
Look over there! Watch this nice welcoming committee from the Foo Fighter Fan
Club going over there to warmly greet that nice bunch of kids with their
Arcadian Fire t-shirts, as they eat their picnic lunches and do their yoga and
blow their soap bubbles into the shiny air. Oh look, isn't that sweet? How
the Arcadian Fire kids are sharing their food and drink and marijuiana
with the so-called young toughs from Fooland. The meeting of the tribes,
have you ever seen something so beautiful? Oh my God, it gets even better!
Now the Arcadian kids are sharing ALL their food and their drinks and their
drugs and now, wow, even their money and t-shirts and other clothing! Just
giving it all to the Foo dudes in the spirit of St. Woodstock and his merry
elves. So there you have it, ladies and gentleman, with your own eyes. Those
Arcadian Fire kids, standing there in their underwear, are all the proof
that even this old cynic Triumph needs that these "Farewell" Festivals are
also going to be major Love-ins and Peace-ins. Back to you, Conan, in the studio.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 14, 2012 05:11

71Tele
If this is a big ruse I think it would be brilliant if Jagger had gotten these other acts in on the conspiracy on;y to mislead everyone and play with the Stones. Also seems the only way they could keep the thing secret would be these bits of disinformation. Plus the timing of the NY reharsals is a giant clue. But do we really think these other acts would allow themselves to be used as decoys in this way? I kind of don't.

That's the vexing part...these other bands have rabid fans I'm sure...they wouldn't want to piss them off by playing along on some disinformation gag on behalf of the Stones and SNL.

This makes me somewhat pessimistic that the Stones would actually play. Except maybe they DO announce the Rolling Stones tour, and feature Arcade Fire and Foo Fighters as the opening acts for at least the beginning of the tour. Not sure how you'd put together an SNL show based on this, but that would at least placate the fans from all constituents.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: May 14, 2012 05:57

Foo fighters and arcade fire and Jeff beck are confirmed, no need to keep speculating bout them, and the last two being there in plenty of time to rehearse and the FF being transported from their gig that day, obviously, so that's a bit risky, but do-able.

The announcing of those bands as opening acts seems like a possible saving grace opportunity, but WTF is Jeff Beck on the bill for?

Date: May 14, 2012 06:31

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
If this is Mick's way of being "relevant" than he needs to quit.

If true, I agree. Don't think it's true though. Hate to use the term "user" (a horrible word) but Mick is doing the same thing here as he did performing with SuperHeavy. Just setting up the 50th anniversary celebration. This is all about the Stones even though he would never admit to it. If not then we are in big trouble.

Date: May 14, 2012 08:29

fron the NY Post just now:

Why did Mick Jagger say yes to hosting “Saturday Night Live” this weekend?

“That’s a question he’s asking himself every day,” Lorne Michaels tells The Post.

Jagger — who has sung on the show with the Rolling Stones before, but never been the host — will appear in comedy sketches for the first time.

“I know him pretty well, and I think he’ll be charming and funny, and I think people will see a side of him that they’re not used to seeing,” says Michaels.

“He’s a very, very smart guy, and he’s very, very smart about how to put on a show.”

Michaels says he did not pursue the singer to host until recently.

“It felt right now” — on the band’s 50th anniversary — says Michaels.

The two men met in 1978 when the band first appeared on the program but kept up a relationship outside their main show-business interests.

Date: May 14, 2012 09:05

MightyStonesStillRollin50
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
If this is Mick's way of being "relevant" than he needs to quit.

If true, I agree. Don't think it's true though. Hate to use the term "user" (a horrible word) but Mick is doing the same thing here as he did performing with SuperHeavy. Just setting up the 50th anniversary celebration. This is all about the Stones even though he would never admit to it. If not then we are in big trouble.

You're saying Mick 'setup' Superheavy to position the Stones 50th?

Yes, of course that's why he recorded that album and didn't promote it to abysmal sales...it was to set up the Rolling Stones 50th anniversary because they needed a 'superheavy lift'.

It's all starting to make sense now.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 14, 2012 10:59

I might be in minority here but I find the scenario of Mick performing with Jeff Beck something to look for. They did surprisingly strong performance together in Obama's blues party, and since then I have dreamed them doing something together again. At the moment both of them are strong survivors in the sense that it is not only about the great past but they still offer something worthwhile to listen to. And Jeff sounds natural match to Mick wheras Foo Fighters and that Arcide whatever sound artificial deals and I think Jagger will not end up looking too good with them (even though they might sound rather logical step after SuperHeavy and that Harder-thing; Jagger seems to enjoy being iconic Jagger within younger acts)

But then there is the option of The Rolling Stones, and the 50th Anniversary party to officially begin.... That's total nostalgy, but which, of course, warms up diehard's heart, even though it also scares the hell out of me how will it turn up... But I trust Jagger's judgment there; if the band is not good enough, they will not perform. But if they do...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-14 11:08 by Doxa.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 14, 2012 13:36

Mick Jagger and Jeff Beck should do an album together! thumbs up

Date: May 14, 2012 14:20

His Majesty

They tried that - twice winking smiley

Date: May 14, 2012 15:04

sweetcharmedlife
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Maybe Mick will do Ruthless People!
+
Maybe you'll come up with a different user name the next time you get banned....Dare to dream!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

You're just jealous that my name is from a song that is killer and your name is from a song that blows. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 14, 2012 15:12

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

Not really, but that was then and this is now.

Older, wiser, Jeff's playing has only improved and Jagger clealy got inspired by his playing at the white house.

The stones are long done as a creative entity, long done regarding challenging Jagger.

Jagger needs a challenge and Jeff's the man to do it. thumbs up

Date: May 14, 2012 15:34

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

Not really, but that was then and this is now.

Older, wiser, Jeff's playing has only improved and Jagger clealy got inspired by his playing at the white house.

The stones are long done as a creative entity, long done regarding challenging Jagger.

Jagger needs a challenge and Jeff's the man to do it. thumbs up

In fairness, Jeff is mainly doing covers - whether we like his guitar playing or not.

Hardly the right muse for Jagger, imo, but he could always be an instrument for Jagger's ideas - if he got some more good stuff in him...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 14, 2012 15:44

I'm starting to wonder whether the real reason that Ronnie was not supposed to talk about the studio sessions was that in fact they had NOTHING to do with SNL, and Mick wanted to prevent exactly the kind of wild speculation that's been going on here for the last couple of weeks. I really don't think he is daft enough to let the band make their first public appearance in five years on live TV, with all the inbuilt possibilities for screwups and disasters. If the rehearsal stories had not leaked out, most of us wouldn't be that bothered if Mick wasn't singing with the Stones on SNL, just as we weren't that bothered that they didn't appear at the White House.

But the news did leak, and now we've backed ourselves (and Mick) into a corner: if the Stones don't appear, then its a sign that the band can't play - or a deadly insult to Keith - or the end of the world, or something. When I personally don't believe it was ever considered. (If I turn out to be wrong, I shall be very delighted - but also very surprised.)

Which leaves the question: what are those rehearsals all about?

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: May 14, 2012 15:47

rogue
The yahoo report got pulled because it was posted too soon.

Facebook execs and Zuckerberg were in NYC all week in prep for their IPO.

Jagger in town but no known rehearals. Promo for SNL lists Foos and Arcade and Beck. SNL site only says special guests.

Foes have a concert in NJ on the 19th. They could do both but maybe not.

If the Foos and Arcade and Beck are opening acts for Stones tour they could be there to sweeten the deal and could make sense.

Also, my NYC media friends won't say anything about the show right now.
Say they can't.

Spoke to a contact in video production in NYC. They bid on the job to film the studio rehearsal in NJ. They won't say much except the NJ shoot was to be similar to the back stage footage usually added to DVD releases. My guess is this is like the rehearsal footage for the Super Bowl on the ABB DVD. Would not say anything about a tour or SNL. They signed contracts limiting information.

Interesting how I can't find any comments on these events by BV, Gazza or Stonesdoug. Also interesting that no denials have been issued by the Stones front office. The SNL promos by the host usually run on Wed or Thrusday night primetime with the affiliates re-running them on the morning and late news.

My guess is it will only be Jagger with Wiig or Keenan THompson or Sandberg.

The today show had Will Ferrel clips this morning from last Sat. night. The Jagger promos and press releases should come later today to build the hype.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: May 14, 2012 16:00

Green Lady makes a good point, and one that may explain the scenario they're in.

I also need to remember that in Mick, I've trusted through the years and he's delivered. He deserves my respect to wait and see, and to stop speculating.

Date: May 14, 2012 16:36

Doxa
I might be in minority here but I find the scenario of Mick performing with Jeff Beck something to look for. They did surprisingly strong performance together in Obama's blues party, and since then I have dreamed them doing something together again. At the moment both of them are strong survivors in the sense that it is not only about the great past but they still offer something worthwhile to listen to. And Jeff sounds natural match to Mick wheras Foo Fighters and that Arcide whatever sound artificial deals and I think Jagger will not end up looking too good with them (even though they might sound rather logical step after SuperHeavy and that Harder-thing; Jagger seems to enjoy being iconic Jagger within younger acts)

But then there is the option of The Rolling Stones, and the 50th Anniversary party to officially begin.... That's total nostalgy, but which, of course, warms up diehard's heart, even though it also scares the hell out of me how will it turn up... But I trust Jagger's judgment there; if the band is not good enough, they will not perform. But if they do...

- Doxa

I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the show (I hope) regardless of who appears.

The disappointment definitely would have to do with the fact that they are all in NYC (or supposedly are) and it's their 50th...a wasted opportunity if nothing happens and a tragedy if it is because the ''band' is not strong enough.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 14, 2012 17:12

You don't get the Stones until the Stones are ready. They've been apart almost five years. They're just now starting to get things together. Just sit back and enjoy whatever the hell Mick decides to do that night. We'll probably get some dynamite blues with Beck, and god knows what the Foo Fighters and Arcade Fire will bring to the table. It could be interesting. And if by some tiny, tiny, chance there any Rolling Stones news to come out of this, then we can be pleasantly surprised. If not, we'll get Stones info when they decided to give us Stones info. Period.

Date: May 14, 2012 17:17

My Revised Show and Festival Line-up (for amusement only, please no wagering)

Jeff Beck - one Stones hit (non-Jagger/Richards), with Mick
Arcade Fire - one Stones hit played their way, no Mick
Foo Fighters - one Stones hit played their way, no Mick
Rolling Stones - one Stones hit played their way, with Mick obviously

Also, BIG "FAREWELL" TOUR announcement, pushed back forward into this year

Combination of giant free outdoor festivals (with golden circles) and expensive indoor special shows. 50 shows total. Enjoy!

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 14, 2012 17:25

i'm definitely amused.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 14, 2012 18:25

Very amused.

Dream on...

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 14, 2012 18:38

Why the heck would The Stones tour with the Foo Fighters? They are a high energy band, The Stones are not. It wouldn't work.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 14, 2012 18:47

I love how superrevvy has to say anything and everything just so he can come back and say "i told you so!". Keep at it!

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 14, 2012 19:00

i'm there.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 14, 2012 19:07

This week will bring some clarity... it will be hard to prevent leaks from the rehearsals.... and for sure by Sunday morning we will know what happened. At this point I am just hoping for a funny show making Mick look good... and an extra $500.00

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: May 14, 2012 20:09

When NBC announced that Mick Jagger would host and perform on the May 19th season finale of Saturday Night Live, fans wondered whether the Rolling Stones would use the platform to stage their first live performance in nearly five years – or at least make a cameo. But Keith Richards tells Rolling Stone that he won't be involved. "I spoke to Mick and he said it's something that he said yes to many months ago, so he's just doing it," Richards says. "He's on his own."

Will the guitarist be watching? "Probably," Richards says with a laugh.

News of Jagger's SNL gig – which marks the singer's third appearance on the show, and his first as a host – set off speculation among fans, some of whom wondered whether the Stones might use his appearance to announce their anticipated 50th anniversary tour. Jagger isn't promoting anything else currently (his last project, SuperHeavy, was released last September), and the Stones have staged rehearsals in recent weeks. However, Jagger is only confirmed to perform with Arcade Fire, Foo Fighters and Jeff Beck on the show.

Richards previously told Rolling Stone that the band will not tour in 2012 to mark their 50th anniversary. "Basically, we're just not ready," he said, adding that 2013 is the new goal. "I have a feeling that's more realistic … The Stones always really considered 1963 to be 50 years, because Charlie [Watts] didn't actually join until January. We look upon 2012 as sort of the year of conception, but the birth is next year."

But don't count Richards out of SNL completely. Stones plans often change at the last minute; Richards never announced that he was joining Jagger at 2001's Concert for New York, but he showed up, joining the frontman on "Miss You" and "Salt of the Earth."

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 14, 2012 20:10

maybe Jagger's trying to remake RocknRoll Circus on SNL......

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: May 14, 2012 20:11

More amusement
[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: May 14, 2012 20:27

Bob C.
When NBC announced that Mick Jagger would host and perform on the May 19th season finale of Saturday Night Live, fans wondered whether the Rolling Stones would use the platform to stage their first live performance in nearly five years – or at least make a cameo. But Keith Richards tells Rolling Stone that he won't be involved. "I spoke to Mick and he said it's something that he said yes to many months ago, so he's just doing it," Richards says. "He's on his own."

Will the guitarist be watching? "Probably," Richards says with a laugh.

News of Jagger's SNL gig – which marks the singer's third appearance on the show, and his first as a host – set off speculation among fans, some of whom wondered whether the Stones might use his appearance to announce their anticipated 50th anniversary tour. Jagger isn't promoting anything else currently (his last project, SuperHeavy, was released last September), and the Stones have staged rehearsals in recent weeks. However, Jagger is only confirmed to perform with Arcade Fire, Foo Fighters and Jeff Beck on the show.

Richards previously told Rolling Stone that the band will not tour in 2012 to mark their 50th anniversary. "Basically, we're just not ready," he said, adding that 2013 is the new goal. "I have a feeling that's more realistic … The Stones always really considered 1963 to be 50 years, because Charlie [Watts] didn't actually join until January. We look upon 2012 as sort of the year of conception, but the birth is next year."

But don't count Richards out of SNL completely. Stones plans often change at the last minute; Richards never announced that he was joining Jagger at 2001's Concert for New York, but he showed up, joining the frontman on "Miss You" and "Salt of the Earth."

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]

haha, even after confirming richards won't participate the writer slightly opens the door to the possibility.

rolling stone's jann wenner is a long-time stones confidant so it's telling they get the interview with keith. if there wasn't a chance of it happening i seriously doubt the last sentence would be in the short article. rolling stone is just another arm of the stones pr machine. i seriously doubt jagger didn't look over and approve the PR, oops I mean "article" before it was posted.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home