Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 59
Re: Mick Jagger to Host, Perform on 'Saturday Night Live' Season Finale May 19
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 14, 2012 20:27

Bob C.
When NBC announced that Mick Jagger would host and perform on the May 19th season finale of Saturday Night Live, fans wondered whether the Rolling Stones would use the platform to stage their first live performance in nearly five years – or at least make a cameo. But Keith Richards tells Rolling Stone that he won't be involved. "I spoke to Mick and he said it's something that he said yes to many months ago, so he's just doing it," Richards says. "He's on his own."

Will the guitarist be watching? "Probably," Richards says with a laugh.

News of Jagger's SNL gig – which marks the singer's third appearance on the show, and his first as a host – set off speculation among fans, some of whom wondered whether the Stones might use his appearance to announce their anticipated 50th anniversary tour. Jagger isn't promoting anything else currently (his last project, SuperHeavy, was released last September), and the Stones have staged rehearsals in recent weeks. However, Jagger is only confirmed to perform with Arcade Fire, Foo Fighters and Jeff Beck on the show.

Richards previously told Rolling Stone that the band will not tour in 2012 to mark their 50th anniversary. "Basically, we're just not ready," he said, adding that 2013 is the new goal. "I have a feeling that's more realistic … The Stones always really considered 1963 to be 50 years, because Charlie [Watts] didn't actually join until January. We look upon 2012 as sort of the year of conception, but the birth is next year."

But don't count Richards out of SNL completely. Stones plans often change at the last minute; Richards never announced that he was joining Jagger at 2001's Concert for New York, but he showed up, joining the frontman on "Miss You" and "Salt of the Earth."

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]

Nice catch Bob C... and thanks copy/pasting... Good job

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 14, 2012 20:44

despite keith's denial, no change in forecast.

i got no backup plan.

at this time.

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: May 14, 2012 20:44

Interesting. No "I'll cut his $#@%^% throat" stuff. Must be this is cool with everyone in the band (or at least Keith), so the solo of Mick should not be viewed as bad news about the Stones. Now I guess we all just sit back and enjoy the show, knowing there are now dire consequences.

Date: May 14, 2012 20:50

Mick Jagger and Arcade Fire. Well so be it. I remember seeing a picture of Frank Sinatra around 1968 wearing a Nehru jacket. I was only in my early teens but that photo struck me as Frank's desperate attempt to stay "Hip" It was laughable. Mick Jagger and Arcade Fire. So be it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 14, 2012 20:53

SummerofSomeGirls
Mick Jagger and Arcade Fire. Well so be it. I remember seeing a picture of Frank Sinatra around 1968 wearing a Nehru jacket. I was only in my early teens but that photo struck me as Frank's desperate attempt to stay "Hip" It was laughable. Mick Jagger and Arcade Fire. So be it.

Please. These young groups are dieing to be seen with Mick Jagger so they can have some rock cred. This is not a desperate Frank Sinatra doing Simon and Garfunkel numbers.

Date: May 14, 2012 20:53

One thing that still bugs me - they all seem to be in the NYC area. And, someone reported seeing Bobby Keys. If that (Keys) is confirmed I still think something is in the offing. But logically to boost viewership why would they deny - economically backwards.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 14, 2012 20:56

24FPS
SummerofSomeGirls

Please. These young groups are dieing to be seen with Mick Jagger so they can have some rock cred. This is not a desperate Frank Sinatra doing Simon and Garfunkel numbers.
Uh, what? Arcade Fire don't need Mick Jagger in order to have cred. They already have cred.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: May 14, 2012 21:10

Arcade Fire and the Foo Fighters don't need Jagger for anything resembling a career boost or "cred". It's pretty clear that they really want to play with Mick for the best reason, ie; they have a ton of respect for him.

I mean, think about how many posts on IORR deal with the fantasy of the Stones stripping down their stage show and just playing for the love of it.

That's what AF and TFF are doing with Mick.

Like 'em, or not, both of Mick's backing bands on Saturday have an impressive recent history of setting up and playing when, and wherever, they want to.

Kinda refreshing.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 14, 2012 21:14

Well said, vermontoffender! I, for one, am very much looking forward to their performances! It'll be something new and refreshing.

Date: May 14, 2012 21:37

I've never really listened to Foo Fighters so I don't know much about them. About a month ago I gave my 24 year old nephew my iPod and asked him to put whatever he wanted on it. It came back loaded with The Band,later day Johnny Cash, CCR, Deer Tick and Arcade FIre. I liked Arcade Fire. Maybe the Frank Sinatra comparison was unfair. I guess you could say it's maybe more like Muddy Waters playing with the Rolling Stones. OK now I'm over the bitter disappointment that it looks like there'll be no Stones on SNL. But maybe...just maybe

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 14, 2012 22:15

no, there wont be any Stones. at least, Keef said he wont be there.
Sad,very sad.
jeroen

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 14, 2012 23:35

After 23 pages of, mostly, disinformation who said Mick will play with Foo Fighters or Arcade Fire. Is that information confirmed? My guess is that he will do a bluesstandard with Jeff Beck. If not, he will only do the hosting and the "skits". And a bit of selling something of course...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 14, 2012 23:37

Stoneage
After 23 pages of, mostly, disinformation who said Mick will play with Foo Fighters or Arcade Fire. Is that information confirmed? My guess is that he will do a bluesstandard with Jeff Beck. If not, he will only do the hosting and the "skits". And a bit of selling something of course...
Yes it's confirmed.

Date: May 14, 2012 23:40

As I understand it's confirmed that they will be on the show. But is it confirmed they will play with Mick Jagger?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 15, 2012 00:27

Does anyone else think he held out the possibility of the Stones appearing on SNL with him, but when he decided the band (read Keith) could not pull it off he had Arcade Fart and Food Fight on hold as a back-up plan? This would be a sad state of affairs. Again I ask: Why NY rehearsals for the Stones if they were never going to appear with Sir Mick?

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 15, 2012 00:32

71Tele
Does anyone else think he held out the possibility of the Stones appearing on SNL with him, but when he decided the band (read Keith) could not pull it off he had Arcade Fart and Food Fight on hold as a back-up plan? This would be a sad state of affairs. Again I ask: Why NY rehearsals for the Stones if they were never going to appear with Sir Mick?

No, not at all. I think Jagger wants to do SNL alone (with Foo Farts and Arcade Floosies). Furthermore, Keith doesn't care for the SNL-type of thing.

That's just my opinion..........

Date: May 15, 2012 00:43

I ask again: Who confirms that Jagger actually will perform together with both Foo Fighters and Arcade Fire on the show. That will be a steep task considering that he also will host the show, maybe do a solo number and participate in "skits".

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 15, 2012 00:47

Mick said "yes" to SNL many months ago, it's him doing his thing. Lorne Michaels invited him, not Richards. What for does Mick need to bring there Richards - to share with him fame and attention, to give him the place in the spotlight? just as he did all his life, last time in 2001 when Mick was invited to participate in Concert for New York and brought Richards despite the fact that this so-called "friend" called his just released album "Dogshit"? How long one can be a gentleman - anyway Richards will never say "thank you"

When was the last time Richards gave something to Jagger - other than: "he has the big balls, I'll give it to him" ?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 15, 2012 00:56

Mick has given a lot to Keith, and Keith has given a lot to Mick.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 15, 2012 01:06

TeddyB1018

I'm afraid it is demagogy. They gave each other a creative partnership, but in personal terms Richards only took and never gave anything in return.

Date: May 15, 2012 01:07

proudmary
Mick said "yes" to SNL many months ago, it's him doing his thing. Lorne Michaels invited him, not Richards. What for does Mick need to bring there Richards - to share with him fame and attention, to give him the place in the spotlight? just as he did all his life, last time in 2001 when Mick was invited to participate in Concert for New York and brought Richards despite the fact that this so-called "friend" called his just released album "Dogshit"? How long one can be a gentleman - anyway Richards will never say "thank you"

When was the last time Richards gave something to Jagger - other than: "he has the big balls, I'll give it to him" ?

My brother and I fight like cats and dogs. It has been that way since we were kids. We say some nasty things to each other, but we always come together when it's time to share our common passions.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 15, 2012 01:57

Teddy is right. Neither would be where they are today without the other.

No need to turn this thread into another blame game between the Mick and Keith camps.

Date: May 15, 2012 02:06

Instead of speculating wouldn't it be easier if we concentrated on what is confirmed so far. As I see it only two things are confirmed:

1. Mick jagger will host SNL on Saturday, May 19th.
2. On the same show Foo Fighters and Arcade Fire will perform as musical guests.

Date: May 15, 2012 02:11

But speculation is the point

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: May 15, 2012 02:23

superrevvy
despite keith's denial, no change in forecast. i got no backup plan.

six hours since keith's denial. plus a nice deep sleep.

yet my brain keeps spitting out the same forecast, over and over.

my brain must be broken.

hope its not spitting out the same forecast AFTER saturday. that would be a worry.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-15 02:33 by superrevvy.

Date: May 15, 2012 02:24

Bob C.
But speculation is the point

And nobody does it better than us! The Stones must be laughing their butts off! Yes, they do listen in!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 15, 2012 02:44

proudmary
TeddyB1018

I'm afraid it is demagogy. They gave each other a creative partnership, but in personal terms Richards only took and never gave anything in return.

Come on, you don't know that. Why the agenda?

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: May 15, 2012 02:45

Stoneage
As I see it only two things are confirmed:

1. Mick jagger will host SNL on Saturday, May 19th.
2. On the same show Foo Fighters and Arcade Fire will perform as musical guests.

It's already been confirmed that Mick will be performing, with Arcade Fire, Foo Fighters, and Jeff Beck serving as backup.

Most recently via the Hollywood Reporter:

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Date: May 15, 2012 03:07

Is Hollywood Reporter a reliable source? Sounds like a gossip columne to me. If they are right he will have his work cut out then: Hosting the show, participate in comedy acts and performing with three different bands on the same show.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 15, 2012 03:12

proudmary

Oh come on - stop flogging this dead (wild) horse crap. We get it, you hate Keith.

But it was Keith AND Mick who TOGETHER wrote the songs we love so much. Or, Nanker-Phelge if you like.

Good grief......eye rolling smiley

(I could mention that MICK was "with" Anita during the filming of "Performance" which must have hurt Keith deeply, but you'll just find an excuse to say Mick was only doing the right thing!)eye rolling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1555
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home