Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 14
Re: Is SLAVE the best stones song since 1980?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 26, 2012 19:09

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
Shade
Slave is a great song from a great album. I like all periods of the Stones. Other great songs from around that time are Highwire and Love Is Strong. Some great stuff off Bridges To Babylon as well, which I didn't like at first but has aged very well. Even Bigger Bang gets better with every listen. There's only one track that i always skip immediately, Moon Is Up.

Well, there are a group of songs that fit within the 'skip immediately' list unfortunately, and Moon Is Up is right up there. Infamy comes to mind, Already Over Me, Biggest Mistake, Streets of Love, YGMR, oh...there are lots.

there's a great shortcut to skipping these songs: don't play voodoo lounge, bridges to babylon and bigger bang. you'll save all kinds of time on skipping.

wot, next your going to say the last 3 decades have been a creatively uninspiring period for the band. oh, merry Christmas!

hey! it's not just been that and you know it. it's been been vapid on the creative front, but the last three decades have been highly lucrative for them. when you can combine vapid creativity with profitability, you've really discovered something. so quit yer bellyaching.
hey ole buddy.back from exile!!!!!!!

yeah, there used to be a greek guy here years ago but he didn't look anything like you.

Hey, I think I remember him...was he the guy that wore the toga?

ha...well, don't we all wear that garb while we post here? oh, i see...you're being ironic or something.

As long as I wasn't deemed as being culturally insensitive.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 26, 2012 21:44

StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
Shade
Slave is a great song from a great album. I like all periods of the Stones. Other great songs from around that time are Highwire and Love Is Strong. Some great stuff off Bridges To Babylon as well, which I didn't like at first but has aged very well. Even Bigger Bang gets better with every listen. There's only one track that i always skip immediately, Moon Is Up.

Well, there are a group of songs that fit within the 'skip immediately' list unfortunately, and Moon Is Up is right up there. Infamy comes to mind, Already Over Me, Biggest Mistake, Streets of Love, YGMR, oh...there are lots.

there's a great shortcut to skipping these songs: don't play voodoo lounge, bridges to babylon and bigger bang. you'll save all kinds of time on skipping.

wot, next your going to say the last 3 decades have been a creatively uninspiring period for the band. oh, merry Christmas!

hey! it's not just been that and you know it. it's been been vapid on the creative front, but the last three decades have been highly lucrative for them. when you can combine vapid creativity with profitability, you've really discovered something. so quit yer bellyaching.

yeah, there used to be a greek guy here years ago but he didn't look anything like you.
it's me .i am back ! i ran into BV at the pay per view show in Newark and i got everything worked out and now i am back !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 26, 2012 22:30

TheGreek
StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
Shade

it's me .i am back ! i ran into BV at the pay per view show in Newark and i got everything worked out and now i am back !!!!!!!!!!!!

did you have plastic surgery or something???

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: December 26, 2012 23:32

nope - it's a mediocre jam

Date: December 27, 2012 15:16

StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
Shade

no i was on a break.i thought i was out and then came the barclay's center on the 12/8/12 and then we were in newark for the pay per view 12/15/12 ,what a miracle ya know .i was at the love for levon benefit.i am kinda of a doughting thomas .a very reliable source tells us oh yeah the stones are coming (i am like ya right)and they are also playing Brooklyn.so i did not believe anything .then the next thing the stones come barreling like a steam locomotive rolling down the tracks (he's gone and nothing gonna bring him back he's gone steal your face right what a second that is Jerry )so now the stones have pulled me right back in !!!!!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 27, 2012 15:26

It's not even the best song on Tattoo You, for gawd's sake. Get a grip.

Date: December 27, 2012 15:34

Silver Dagger
ok .what is the best song ?

Date: December 27, 2012 15:43

Silver Dagger

Actually, that is Aerosmith, sometimes known as the 'American Rolling Stones'.

Close but no cigar my friend, still gotta go with Slave on this.

Date: December 27, 2012 17:06

TheGreek
StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
Shade

no i was on a break.i thought i was out and then came the barclay's center on the 12/8/12 and then we were in newark for the pay per view 12/15/12 ,what a miracle ya know .i was at the love for levon benefit.i am kinda of a doughting thomas .a very reliable source tells us oh yeah the stones are coming (i am like ya right)and they are also playing Brooklyn.so i did not believe anything .then the next thing the stones come barreling like a steam locomotive rolling down the tracks (he's gone and nothing gonna bring him back he's gone steal your face right what a second that is Jerry )so now the stones have pulled me right back in !!!!!

what an adventure you've had. most of us have just been sitting here wallowing in our own misery and obesity.

Date: December 27, 2012 17:08

treaclefingers
Silver Dagger

the stones are sometimes known as the british aerosmith, too.

there are no best songs or worst songs...there are only songs we like and songs we don't. please keep this in mind in this blessed of all seasons.

Date: December 27, 2012 17:13

StonesTod
treaclefingers
Silver Dagger

the stones are sometimes known as the british aerosmith, too.

there are no best songs or worst songs...there are only songs we like and songs we don't. please keep this in mind in this blessed of all seasons.

Well, and perhaps not coincidentally I love the best songs and hate the worst songs.

Date: December 27, 2012 19:24

StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
Shade

what an adventure you've had. most of us have just been sitting here wallowing in our own misery and obesity.
from time to time i get the blues also.i am not exempt from that !

Date: December 27, 2012 19:27

TheGreek
StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
Shade

mick jagger sometimes sings the blues, but he never gets them. he's too white and rich. and keith never gets them either cos he's just happy to be anywhere and stuff.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 27, 2012 19:37

I like "Mixed Emotions."

Date: December 27, 2012 19:39

StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
Shade

mick jagger sometimes sings the blues, but he never gets them. he's too white and rich. and keith never gets them either cos he's just happy to be anywhere and stuff.
yeah if i had Mick's money .well you get what i am saying.if i have the blues it is not the fancyman's blues that's for sure.

Date: December 27, 2012 20:09

DoomandGloom
I like "Mixed Emotions."

I'll bet you love Doom & Gloom

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 27, 2012 21:15

treaclefingers
DoomandGloom
I like "Mixed Emotions."

I'll bet you love Doom & Gloom
It's good, love the message and Mick really tried to sell it live. Could have used Mick Taylorsmileys with beer

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 27, 2012 21:26

TheGreek
Silver Dagger

Heaven is better, for starters. It's more inventive and takes them out of their r'n'b, r'n'r comfort zone. And so is Worried About You.

Date: December 27, 2012 21:36

Silver Dagger
TheGreek
Silver Dagger

Heaven is better, for starters. It's more inventive and takes them out of their r'n'b, r'n'r comfort zone. And so is Worried About You.
i like worried about you .good song !

Date: December 27, 2012 21:58

TheGreek
Silver Dagger
TheGreek
Silver Dagger

Yes, agree...love those songs.

It doesn't matter that Slave is better than those songs...this is not a contest.

Date: December 27, 2012 22:26

treaclefingers
TheGreek
Silver Dagger
TheGreek
Silver Dagger

It doesn't matter that Slave is better than those songs...this is not a contest.

you're missing the point, for heaven's sake.

Date: December 27, 2012 23:12

StonesTod
treaclefingers
TheGreek
Silver Dagger
TheGreek
Silver Dagger

you're missing the point, for heaven's sake.

thanks StonesTod, I was worried 'bout you but you're tops!

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: December 28, 2012 00:06

No it's the best song since 1960

Date: December 28, 2012 00:37

slave is ok, just a blues jam, really

i think its a B & B leftover

good sax and pianner, and i think you got sonny rollins and pete townnshend on there

but after that, man, she kinda went downhill

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 28, 2012 00:56

Well, if it is it's very underplayed. If it has been played live it can't be many times, if ever. I'm sure someone knows. Maybe on the 1981 US tour before they skipped it?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 28, 2012 01:09

Googled it. "Slave" has never been played live according to Wikipedia. It was intended for the "Black and Blue" album with Jeff Beck on guitar originally.

Date: December 28, 2012 01:24

talkcheap
No it's the best song since 1960

I disagree, but I'd have to be reminded of some of the Stones earlier work to decide if Slave is in fact the best song since 1960.

Top 5 maybe?

Date: February 22, 2013 08:58

Doit, Doit, Doit, Doit, Do-aaaat

Date: February 22, 2013 09:45

Up there with the other jams like Midnight Rambler and Can't You Hear Me Knocking, imo.

Date: February 22, 2013 13:47

damn i love this tune , i wish the stones would have done this track live that would have been killer!!!!!!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1898
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home