Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 14
Re: Is SLAVE the best stones song since 1980?
Date: April 18, 2012 16:32

Stoneage
I said this before. Slave is a great groove but nothing more. After ten seconds you have heard the whole "song". I like it anyway because I like the groove. It lacks the classic elements of a "song" though.

So you think a "song" should go a certain way and only that way. Are you a priest?

Date: April 18, 2012 16:36

Stoneage
I said this before. Slave is a great groove but nothing more. After ten seconds you have heard the whole "song". I like it anyway because I like the groove. It lacks the classic elements of a "song" though.

You know, that's true. You have a good solid point.

Think of all the songs they have that aren't really songs afterall! The ones that all sound the same after they start! Let's Spend The Night Together, Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, Street Fighting Man, Sympathy For The Devil, Start Me Up, Sway, Bitch, Rocks Off, She's A Rainbow, 2000 Light Years From Home, Tumbling Dice, Miss You, Shattered and loads more. After ten seconds of hearing all of them you already know the song. So they're pointless. They all lack the classic elements of what a song is.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 18, 2012 16:47

68to72
Gazza
treaclefingers
Re: Is SLAVE the best stones song since 1980?.

Probably (even though most of it was cut in 1975 and 1979)

Only 'Continental Drift' since then runs it close.

Good choice..... I believe Continental Drift will be looked on in the future as an absolute all time Stones classic!

I'm also in favour with Continental Drift but I think it is one of those deep album cuts, kind of like Slave, that the average Joe will never have heard of.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: April 18, 2012 16:59

dunno, maybe. i just wormed for 9:43 myself.

Date: April 18, 2012 17:17

Natlanta
dunno, maybe. i just wormed for 9:43 myself.

smileys with beer

I myself have never wormed to the extended version...clear the furniture!

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: April 18, 2012 17:50

worming to slave may have cured my slipped disk. highly recommended.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 18, 2012 17:53

treaclefingers
68to72
Gazza
treaclefingers

Good choice..... I believe Continental Drift will be looked on in the future as an absolute all time Stones classic!

I'm also in favour with Continental Drift but I think it is one of those deep album cuts, kind of like Slave, that the average Joe will never have heard of.

All the better - as the 'average Joe' tends to have no taste.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: April 18, 2012 17:55

best song ?

1) Start me up
2) Waiting on a friend
3) Out of Control
4) Feel on baby
5) Slave

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 18, 2012 18:00

68to72
Gazza
treaclefingers

That's a big step though, from unlistenable to an all time Stones classic. How far in the future will that happen?

Mathijs

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 18, 2012 18:02

Mathijs
68to72
Gazza
treaclefingers

That's a big step though, from unlistenable to an all time Stones classic. How far in the future will that happen?

Mathijs

When you finally realise that playing bicycle is where its at - not guitar!

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: April 18, 2012 18:19

Mathijs
68to72
Gazza
treaclefingers

Mathijs

Cant answer that....... But surely anyone who saw the Stones during the Urban jungle tour (I think), when it was played and built to a fantastic crescendo that ended with the arrival of the Stones on stage cant fail to have been blown away by it. I know I was, but I'm biased as I already loved the song.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: April 18, 2012 18:32

68to72
Mathijs
68to72
Gazza
treaclefingers

Mathijs

Cant answer that....... But surely anyone who saw the Stones during the Urban jungle tour (I think), when it was played and built to a fantastic crescendo that ended with the arrival of the Stones on stage cant fail to have been blown away by it. I know I was, but I'm biased as I already loved the song.

Yes... the CD intro was fun in 1990 in London. It was the first time I'd seen the Stones, so yes quite exciting. I was right at the front near the stage (we had queued since 11am that day). I wondered why the camera operators near the stage had covered themselves in blankets - obviously fireproof blanets as the wall of flames shot up just before the first chords of SMU. I remember the heat on my face. Then it was like bedlam, a mad scramble to stay on my feet and not get crushed when the crowd was going crazy. I can't say the Stones where that great performance-wise but (it was the start of the Vegas era) but it was great to be there and see my idols on stage for the first time.

Date: April 18, 2012 18:51

68to72
Mathijs
68to72
Gazza
treaclefingers

Mathijs

But that wasn't exactly the Stones playing it...

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: April 18, 2012 18:59

No it wasn't The stones actually playing it.....

It was a recording played as the intro to the bands arrival on stage.

Sorry if I didnt make that clear in my original post

Date: April 18, 2012 19:11

68to72
No it wasn't The stones actually playing it.....

It was a recording played as the intro to the bands arrival on stage.

Sorry if I didnt make that clear in my original post

I get that. I've always just found it odd that that song is liked so much. Take away that part and it's a bland song!

Date: April 18, 2012 20:00

Gazza
treaclefingers
68to72
Gazza
treaclefingers

All the better - as the 'average Joe' tends to have no taste.

They should really invent a 'better than average Joe'.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 18, 2012 22:03

Love this gem from 1975 really. +1 on doxas posts.

Last great song is however She was hot, Starf-cker part II.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: April 19, 2012 05:25

This thread REFUSES to die........back to the top! smileys with beer

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 19, 2012 07:28

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Stoneage

Think of all the songs they have that aren't really songs afterall! The ones that all sound the same after they start! Let's Spend The Night Together, Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, Street Fighting Man, Sympathy For The Devil, Start Me Up, Sway, Bitch, Rocks Off, She's A Rainbow, 2000 Light Years From Home, Tumbling Dice, Miss You, Shattered and loads more. After ten seconds of hearing all of them you already know the song. So they're pointless. They all lack the classic elements of what a song is.

I'll pass on the arrogance. I'm not a songwriter but normally a pop song consists of certain elements such as an intro, verse, bridge, refrain, solo, stick and an outro. Slave is just an ad infinitum repeated groove or chord sequence. Nothing wrong with that but it lacks some of the elements that the other songs you mentioned have (more or less). Of course you can call whatever you like a song. A three minutes long burp can also be a song...

Date: April 19, 2012 08:24

Stoneage
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Stoneage

I'll pass on the arrogance. I'm not a songwriter but normally a pop song consists of certain elements such as an intro, verse, bridge, refrain, solo, stick and an outro. Slave is just an ad infinitum repeated groove or chord sequence. Nothing wrong with that but it lacks some of the elements that the other songs you mentioned have (more or less). Of course you can call whatever you like a song. A three minutes long burp can also be a song...

Oh now, come on, just having a toss of fun!

Date: April 19, 2012 09:36

uhbuhgullayew
This thread REFUSES to die........back to the top! smileys with beer

I did a little 'jog' home from work today and listened to Tattoo You again, (for the first time since starting this thread). I skipped SMU and Hang Fire, but listened to the rest of the album. Truly superb. Neighbours isn't even all that bad, just a bit generic.

Slave is just great, Black Limosine fantastic. But side two...man, it is just SO good.

Date: April 19, 2012 09:39

Stoneage
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Stoneage

That is just your definition though...there are lots of examples in popular music that don't follow that pattern. Have Pink Floyd recorded any songs?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 19, 2012 09:53

Stoneage
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Stoneage

I guess you're not a fan of Positively 4th Street then

Date: April 19, 2012 09:55

Erik_Snow
Stoneage
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Stoneage

That may be my favourite Dylan song...we need to start a "Positively 4th Street" appreciation thread.

Date: April 19, 2012 10:09

treaclefingers
Erik_Snow
Stoneage
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Stoneage

That may be my favourite Dylan song...we need to start a "Positively 4th Street" appreciation thread.

I can't pick a favourite Dylan song; but Positively 4th Street sure is "up there"

Date: April 19, 2012 10:12

Erik_Snow
treaclefingers
Erik_Snow
Stoneage
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Stoneage

I can't pick a favourite Dylan song; but Positively 4th Street sure is "up there"

You've got a lot of nerve.

Date: April 19, 2012 13:35

treaclefingers
Erik_Snow
treaclefingers
Erik_Snow
Stoneage
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Stoneage

You've got a lot of nerve.

That's because I used to be among the crowd you're in with

Date: April 19, 2012 14:00

Stoneage
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Stoneage

I know what you mean, but if you're listening more closely you'll find that Slave has all those elements.

However, some of them are instrumental - like the break where the sax solo kicks in, notice that the guitars are changing, as well as the rhythm.

You don't necessarily need big chord changes to make a brilliant song. The Stones have proven that many times.

Date: April 19, 2012 16:08

Mathijs
68to72
Gazza
treaclefingers

Mathijs

grinning smiley perhaps when continents again begin to drift...

Date: April 19, 2012 16:13

Stoneage
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Stoneage

I'll pass on the arrogance. I'm not a songwriter but normally a pop song consists of certain elements such as an intro, verse, bridge, refrain, solo, stick and an outro. Slave is just an ad infinitum repeated groove or chord sequence. Nothing wrong with that but it lacks some of the elements that the other songs you mentioned have (more or less). Of course you can call whatever you like a song.

thumbs up

A three minutes long burp can also be a song...

Good one - That's exactly what happens towards the end of A Bigger Bang and the Stones decided that it was a fitting album closer...

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1680
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home