Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 14
Re: Is SLAVE the best stones song since 1980?
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 14, 2012 17:22

No

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 14, 2012 17:27

MJG196
Everything off Babylon is better than anything on Tattoo Poo. Babylon is the sound of Mick masturbating - which is so much better than listening to the Stones.

Right?

eye popping smiley

Date: April 14, 2012 18:14

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
No one seems bothered about the fact that the only thing added to Slave after 1980 is the sax.

Mathijs

No new vocals after 1980?

According to Chris Kimsey, Slave was revisted in '79 when all the vocals and guitar dubs by Ron Wood where done. This is the long outtake that is available, running a tad slow. They took this version in '81, wiped Wood's guitar, and added Rollin's sax.

Mathijs

Thanks, I didnĀ“t know that.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: April 14, 2012 19:26

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up
Doxa
It is the thrill of the moment... listening some individual song and sensing that "this is it", it can't be any better... Same like comparing their recent bootlegs downloads to each other - is LA FRIDAY actually better than BRUSSELS AFFAIR or HAMPTON '81? Absurd. When listening through any of them, that's as great as rock music ever can be.

Besides, I think the real greatness of The Rolling Stones derives from their not so well-known, non upfront or "non-warhorses" material. That's where their unique charm and sound is best. Things like "Winter", "Slave", etc. Funny, some time I ago I was walking in some shopping centre, and from the speakers I could hear some very familar-sounding noise. I just heard somehow the sound but couldn't recognize the song. Then I needed to find a place I could hear it better, which I did. Of all songs, it was "One More Try" and it sounded simply awesome. So much pure joy and feel in that song. At that moment it felt like being the greatest Rolling Stones song ever...

- Doxa

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 15, 2012 04:44

Come On
Everything is turning to gould ... ... ...

That was released before 1980, I believe ... wasn't it a b-side of Shattered?

I agree about Slave - such a great tune, and don't forget how awesome the keyboards are in this song (not to mention the drums, bass, etc.).

Date: April 15, 2012 05:10

SLAVE kicks ass. I remember putting it on at a party we had back then, and people we're blown away.

Date: April 15, 2012 05:55

The problem is it's not really a 1980 onward song seeing that it was done in 1975.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: April 15, 2012 08:12

It is a good dance tune, they just put it on to fill in the lp and disco was in in the 80s. And Mick does like disco at that time.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 15, 2012 08:26

tipps
It is a good dance tune, they just put it on to fill in the lp and disco was in in the 80s. And Mick does like disco at that time.

When I listen to Slave, disco is the furthest thing from my mind.
It's more like a funky/grungy/bluesy jam with extra crunchy guitars.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 15, 2012 08:58

tipps

Yes Tattoo You is a varied album. You have the disc song "Slave", the blackmetal song "Hang Fire", the classical piece "Heaven".....not to mention the ghetto-rap "Tops"

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 15, 2012 11:46

The official version is just 5 minutes too short.
What a great jam.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 15, 2012 12:41

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
crumbling_mice
On reflection Tattoo You is a bloody good album. Hence the reason I went out and had it tattooed on my forearm all those years ago!

Yes it is. It is funny album because it doesn't fit very well to anything. I mean, it is very difficult to write it as some kind of big or relevant or important album. It doesn't have any good 'story' over it. We know its "copy and paste" nature - which made it kind of retro album already in 1981, and not adding anything new and exciting to Stones vocabulary. It doesn't generally mean anything in the 80's music scene. Just an album of old farts who had done their really relevant music years earlier (and, as we have recently seen, not even SOME GIRLS is that big album as we have tend to think)

But it is just incredibly great album by its own terms. I have always have mixed emotions about its true value since it was my first Stones album and the very reason why I was once hooked. For years I thought that I am way too subjective about it, but now when the years go by, it starts to look like that the album is like a good wine; the older it is, the better it is (and the fact that the Stones make its value easier to seen by releasing mediocre albums one after other ever since). It is a shining star in Stones productivity during the 80's by a mile, and I think it seriously challenges SOME GIRLS and GOATS HEAD SOUP from the title of best post-EXILE album.

TATTOO YOU, if any album, is a masterpiece by accident.

- Doxa

The funny thing with this "Cut and paste-job" is that the sound is almost consistant throughout the album, even though it's recorded during different periods and in different studios.

The guitars on SMU, Hang Fire, Slave, Little T+A, Black Limousine, Worried About You and Tops, for instance, sound like they're from the same recording session.

Some ace-work from Chris Kimsey made this album brilliant, as well as Mick's new vocals.

The dynamics in the album have been discuss on countless occasions, but needs to be mentioned: The rocking A-side and the more mellow B-side - genius!

My first Stones album, and still one of my favorites thumbs up

Yeah. The miracle of TATTOO YOU is that how consistent and coherent it sounds. Like you said, like the guitars coming from the same session. And the songs fiiting so well to each other. But still there is so much diversity and depth in it. Maybe it is the very reason that the songs derive from different sessions (even eras) that makes TATTOO YOU so interesring to listen to. They are not just stuck to a certain set of current ideas.

There is another reason I think that makes TATTOO YOU expectional. That of not having a single vision to offer. No, they rely on material they think for whatever reasons was not good or suitable enough to release before. I think there is a bit EXILE-like philosophy there: they are just relying on their own instincts, and not desperately trying to follow certain trends, or making easy shots. They trust on their own muse. For that reason I think there is maturity in the album. The material is not actually "easy" or relying on the obvious. It is not going through the motions like they have done since STEEL WHEELS or so, that is, they don't sound at all like copying themselves: no, all the songs and sounds sound so genuine and honest. They feel and breathe the songs, the music. And the fact that they have a nerve to release a long jam like "Slave" in it, speaks volumes of their artistic braveness there.

Also in the microcosmos of the songs there is so much depthness and space and time enough to develop the ideas. Every little details sound so delicious sound-and lyricalwise. Jagger's vocals are simply phenomenal. He really carries the songs and tell tales with his voice and words. So rich voice, and never sings the verse or even chorus simlar way - always find a new angle, or little variation to keep it intersting. Yeah, "Worried About Tou" and "Tops" might be the obvious ones in that sense but also the vocals in "Slave" are simply wonderful. He knows how to add his bit. Also when doing little is very effective. The guy had the intuitions absolutely right at the time.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-15 12:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: April 15, 2012 12:58

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
crumbling_mice
On reflection Tattoo You is a bloody good album. Hence the reason I went out and had it tattooed on my forearm all those years ago!

Yes it is. It is funny album because it doesn't fit very well to anything. I mean, it is very difficult to write it as some kind of big or relevant or important album. It doesn't have any good 'story' over it. We know its "copy and paste" nature - which made it kind of retro album already in 1981, and not adding anything new and exciting to Stones vocabulary. It doesn't generally mean anything in the 80's music scene. Just an album of old farts who had done their really relevant music years earlier (and, as we have recently seen, not even SOME GIRLS is that big album as we have tend to think)

But it is just incredibly great album by its own terms. I have always have mixed emotions about its true value since it was my first Stones album and the very reason why I was once hooked. For years I thought that I am way too subjective about it, but now when the years go by, it starts to look like that the album is like a good wine; the older it is, the better it is (and the fact that the Stones make its value easier to seen by releasing mediocre albums one after other ever since). It is a shining star in Stones productivity during the 80's by a mile, and I think it seriously challenges SOME GIRLS and GOATS HEAD SOUP from the title of best post-EXILE album.

- Doxa

The funny thing with this "Cut and paste-job" is that the sound is almost consistant throughout the album, even though it's recorded during different periods and in different studios.

The guitars on SMU, Hang Fire, Slave, Little T+A, Black Limousine, Worried About You and Tops, for instance, sound like they're from the same recording session.

Some ace-work from Chris Kimsey made this album brilliant, as well as Mick's new vocals.

The dynamics in the album have been discuss on countless occasions, but needs to be mentioned: The rocking A-side and the more mellow B-side - genius!

Yeah. The miracle of TATTOO YOU is that how consistent and coherent it sounds. Like you said, like the guitars coming from the same session. And the songs fiiting so well to each other. But still there is so much diversity and depth in it. Maybe it is the very reason that the songs derive from different sessions (even eras) that makes TATTOO YOU so interesring to listen to. They are not just stuck to a certain set of current ideas.

There is another reason I think that makes TATTOO YOU expectional. That of not having a single vision to offer. No, they rely on material they think for whatever reasons was not good or suitable enough to release before. I think there is a bit EXILE-like philosophy there: they are just relying on their own instincts, and not desperately trying to follow certain trends, or making easy shots. They trust on their own muse. For that reason I think there is maturity in the album. The material is not actually "easy" or relying on the obvious. It is not going through the motions like they have done since STEEL WHEELS or so, that is, they don't sound at all like copying themselves: no, all the songs and sounds sound so genuine and honest. They feel and breathe the songs, the music. And the fact that they have a nerve to release a long jam like "Slave" in it, speaks volumes of their artistic braveness there.

Also in the microcosmos of the songs there is so much depthness and space and time enough to develop the ideas. Every little details sound so delicious sound-and lyricalwise. Jagger's vocals are simply phenomenal. He really carries the songs and tell tales with his voice and words. So rich voice, and never sings the verse or even chorus simlar way - always find a new angle, or little variation to keep it intersting. Yeah, "Worried About Tou" and "Tops" might be the obvious ones in that sense but also the vocals in "Slave" are simply wonderful. He knows how to add his bit. Also when doing little is very effective. The guy had the intuitions absolutely right at the time.

- Doxa

Spot on once again, Doxa. TY might be Jagger's Exile. Slave - and Worried about you and Tops - are highlights on an amazingly consistant album.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 15, 2012 13:48

I didnt realise until recently that there are two versions on the official cd...one runs at around 3 minutes and the other about 6 minutes...very weird! Does anyone know why this came about etc?

Posted by: steini ()
Date: April 15, 2012 15:25

I love the song although i would categorise it as a filler

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 15, 2012 16:04

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
crumbling_mice

- Doxa

- Doxa

This is the best music review ever written (Doxa) for Tattoo You!!!smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-15 16:04 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 15, 2012 16:32

..open the 2013 tour with Slave....make it the modern day version of 75/76 when they opened with another great groove...Honkey Tonk Women...best opener ever.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 15, 2012 17:33

Just to stir it up a bit. Every good album needs a hit song. SMU does the trick on TY. Without SMU TY would have been a mediocre album.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: April 15, 2012 17:41

Mathijs
No one seems bothered about the fact that the only thing added to Slave after 1980 is the sax.

According to Chris Kimsey, Slave was revisted in '79 when all the vocals and guitar dubs by Ron Wood where done. This is the long outtake that is available, running a tad slow. They took this version in '81, wiped Wood's guitar, and added Rollin's sax.

Mathijs

"I had a lot of trepidation about working with Sonny Rollins. This guy's a giant of the saxophone. Charlie said, He's never going to want to play on a Rolling Stones record! I said, Yes he is going to want to. And he did and he was wonderful. I said, Would you like me to stay out there in the studio? He said, Yeah, you tell me where you want me to play and DANCE the part out. So I did that. And that's very important: communication in hand, dance, whatever. You don't have to do a whole ballet, but sometimes that movement of the shoulder tells the guy to kick in on the beat."
- Mick Jagger
[www.timeisonourside.com]

I imagine this picture - Mick dances for Rollins, showing him how he wants the saxophone in the song

Love this album, I think it is one of their best (at least for me), but Slave is not my fav song of TY. Although a couple of days ago it suddenly played on the radio (and we rarely have the Stones on the radio here) - and it was a real joy

Date: April 15, 2012 18:27

Rip This
..open the 2013 tour with Slave....make it the modern day version of 75/76 when they opened with another great groove...Honkey Tonk Women...best opener ever.

That has to be the idea of the day...fantastic.

Date: April 15, 2012 18:31

Stoneage
Just to stir it up a bit. Every good album needs a hit song. SMU does the trick on TY. Without SMU TY would have been a mediocre album.

While I do agree that every album should minimally carry one hit single, I for one totally disagree with your mediocre album assessment.

SMU is the one song on that album that I consciously don't listen to. A great toon to be sure, just overplayed. It's the deep cuts that count on this one.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 15, 2012 19:02

I've given treaclefinger's main question a little thought.....and actually; I think Slave is the best Rolling Stones song since 1978. Never really thought about that before.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: April 15, 2012 19:41

tatoo you is brilliant cd but as the tracks are from diffrent years it sounds like best of,saying that its very good cd,keep on listening to the STONES MUSIC ITS ONLY ROCK-ROOLL BUT WE LIKE IT

Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: April 16, 2012 01:17

Hands down!!!!!! All these kids should listen. Real guys playing their asses off.
It sounds better in 2012!!!!

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: April 16, 2012 01:39

I have to say I think Slave is probably my favourite post 1980 track it has a great groove to it and if I'm not mistaken I think it's a Fender Rhodes piano on that track, well that just sounds awesome. Shame they didn't play it on the 81 tour. I think Worried about you and Tops are close behind it. Definitely the best 3 tracks off of Tattoo you. I think it's because those tracks originally date back to recoding sessions from the era between Exile and Black and Blue.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 16, 2012 01:49

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
crumbling_mice

- Doxa

It really does fire on all cylinders!

First time too, I think, we really hear Jagger paying such lavish attention to the vocals - without both the later nasal and maudlin issues we would have to deal with.

It's a masterpiece on its own terms.

Date: April 16, 2012 06:11

Nasty Habits
I have to say I think Slave is probably my favourite post 1980 track it has a great groove to it and if I'm not mistaken I think it's a Fender Rhodes piano on that track, well that just sounds awesome. Shame they didn't play it on the 81 tour. I think Worried about you and Tops are close behind it. Definitely the best 3 tracks off of Tattoo you. I think it's because those tracks originally date back to recoding sessions from the era between Exile and Black and Blue.

I think we have extremely similar tastes!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 16, 2012 12:07

This album is my ever favourite. I did nt noticed that it was a compilation of left overs when it was released. There is a fantastic mariage between songs, which is very difficult to explain because are songs of different-very different- eras.
What i really did'nt like was the album sleeve, i liked the cover and the back photos, but i missed more photos and information on the inner sleeves

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: April 16, 2012 12:18

Absolutely LOVE slave....and most of that album, especially side 2..!

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: April 16, 2012 12:47

treaclefingers
Nasty Habits

I think we have extremely similar tastes!

Maybe we do, do you happen to be a huge fan of the 69 tour?

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1357
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home