Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 14
Re: Is SLAVE the best stones song since 1980?
Date: April 19, 2012 16:16

wanderingspirit66
Stoneage
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Stoneage
I said this before. Slave is a great groove but nothing more. After ten seconds you have heard the whole "song". I like it anyway because I like the groove. It lacks the classic elements of a "song" though.

You know, that's true. You have a good solid point.

Think of all the songs they have that aren't really songs afterall! The ones that all sound the same after they start! Let's Spend The Night Together, Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, Street Fighting Man, Sympathy For The Devil, Start Me Up, Sway, Bitch, Rocks Off, She's A Rainbow, 2000 Light Years From Home, Tumbling Dice, Miss You, Shattered and loads more. After ten seconds of hearing all of them you already know the song. So they're pointless. They all lack the classic elements of what a song is.

I'll pass on the arrogance. I'm not a songwriter but normally a pop song consists of certain elements such as an intro, verse, bridge, refrain, solo, stick and an outro. Slave is just an ad infinitum repeated groove or chord sequence. Nothing wrong with that but it lacks some of the elements that the other songs you mentioned have (more or less). Of course you can call whatever you like a song.

thumbs up

A three minutes long burp can also be a song...

Good one - That's exactly what happens towards the end of A Bigger Bang and the Stones decided that it was a fitting album closer...

Except for the cool intrumental bridge in Infamy. What do you call that, then, a fart? winking smiley

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 19, 2012 17:33

Slave is more a long jam than a song. A bit like Can't You Hear Me Knocking. It fits very well with Black And Blue half jams / half songs such as Hey Negrita or Hot Stuff.
But Stones jams are always worthy of being listened. Music on these jams is often better than other artists finished songs. That's why they should officially release Stones unedited studios jam sessions...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 19, 2012 19:32

kowalski
Slave is more a long jam than a song. A bit like Can't You Hear Me Knocking. It fits very well with Black And Blue half jams / half songs such as Hey Negrita or Hot Stuff.
But Stones jams are always worthy of being listened. Music on these jams is often better than other artists finished songs. That's why they should officially release Stones unedited studios jam sessions...

Now we're talking...that is an excellent idea for a thematic album.

Rolling Stones "Kick Out The Jams" double CD!

Date: April 19, 2012 19:44

DandelionPowderman
wanderingspirit66
Stoneage
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Stoneage
I said this before. Slave is a great groove but nothing more. After ten seconds you have heard the whole "song". I like it anyway because I like the groove. It lacks the classic elements of a "song" though.

Think of all the songs they have that aren't really songs afterall! The ones that all sound the same after they start! Let's Spend The Night Together, Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, Street Fighting Man, Sympathy For The Devil, Start Me Up, Sway, Bitch, Rocks Off, She's A Rainbow, 2000 Light Years From Home, Tumbling Dice, Miss You, Shattered and loads more. After ten seconds of hearing all of them you already know the song. So they're pointless. They all lack the classic elements of what a song is.

I'll pass on the arrogance. I'm not a songwriter but normally a pop song consists of certain elements such as an intro, verse, bridge, refrain, solo, stick and an outro. Slave is just an ad infinitum repeated groove or chord sequence. Nothing wrong with that but it lacks some of the elements that the other songs you mentioned have (more or less). Of course you can call whatever you like a song.

thumbs up

Good one - That's exactly what happens towards the end of A Bigger Bang and the Stones decided that it was a fitting album closer...

Except for the cool intrumental bridge in Infamy. What do you call that, then, a fart? winking smiley

I must say that the transition from "b" to "f" is seamless ..winking smiley

Date: April 19, 2012 19:46

wanderingspirit66
DandelionPowderman
wanderingspirit66
Stoneage
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Stoneage

thumbs up

I must say that the transition from "b" to "f" is seamless ..winking smiley

cuz he's using a slide guitar

Date: April 19, 2012 21:22

Erik_Snow
treaclefingers
Erik_Snow
treaclefingers
Erik_Snow
Stoneage
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Stoneage

I'll pass on the arrogance. I'm not a songwriter but normally a pop song consists of certain elements such as an intro, verse, bridge, refrain, solo, stick and an outro. Slave is just an ad infinitum repeated groove or chord sequence. Nothing wrong with that but it lacks some of the elements that the other songs you mentioned have (more or less). Of course you can call whatever you like a song. A three minutes long burp can also be a song...

I guess you're not a fan of Positively 4th Street then

That may be my favourite Dylan song...we need to start a "Positively 4th Street" appreciation thread.

I can't pick a favourite Dylan song; but Positively 4th Street sure is "up there"

You've got a lot of nerve.

That's because I used to be among the crowd you're in with

I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes and just for that one moment I could be you...or something.

Date: May 25, 2012 02:26

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do aaaaaaaaaaat!

I had another episode today. I'm a bit bruised but I'm ok.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 25, 2012 03:55

Erik_Snow
treaclefingers
Erik_Snow
Stoneage
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Stoneage

I'll pass on the arrogance. I'm not a songwriter but normally a pop song consists of certain elements such as an intro, verse, bridge, refrain, solo, stick and an outro. Slave is just an ad infinitum repeated groove or chord sequence. Nothing wrong with that but it lacks some of the elements that the other songs you mentioned have (more or less). Of course you can call whatever you like a song. A three minutes long burp can also be a song...

I guess you're not a fan of Positively 4th Street then

That may be my favourite Dylan song...we need to start a "Positively 4th Street" appreciation thread.

I can't pick a favourite Dylan song; but Positively 4th Street sure is "up there"

Bob Dylan doesnt seem to bother with 'bridges' very often.

But then, what would HE know about the elements that make a good song! smiling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 25, 2012 03:58

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
No one seems bothered about the fact that the only thing added to Slave after 1980 is the sax.

Mathijs

No new vocals after 1980?

According to Chris Kimsey, Slave was revisted in '79 when all the vocals and guitar dubs by Ron Wood where done. This is the long outtake that is available, running a tad slow. They took this version in '81, wiped Wood's guitar, and added Rollin's sax.

Mathijs

Townshend's backing vocals would have been added in New York in spring 1981 as well. It would seem a bit odd to me that they'd overdub a backing vocal and his would be the ONLY one added to what was already there, so (at a guess, admittedly) I'd assume some other harmonies from Mick and/or Keith were added too

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 25, 2012 19:31

Definately one of the best grooves ever. However, as a song it doesn't really go anywhere. Still one of my favourites though. This, hang fire, tops and worried about you make the album truly great imo.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 26, 2012 00:14

Senses be praised.

I prefer Heaven to Slave.

Great album from start to finish though.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 27, 2012 02:46

Slave is one of Keith's finest moments the guitar is so dirty and Jagger is spot on. Best song since 1980 I don't know I can't pick best song. It is certainly one of them.

Date: May 27, 2012 03:28

treaclefingers
I was listening to it full blast on headphones on my walk to work this morning.

I may have fallen to the ground and did 'the worm' for awhile...it is SOOOOOOOOOO...good.

When I got up the crowd dispersed.

I think there is a longer version of the song on boots, no?

That song is just so good...that song alone makes Tattoo You better than Some Girls.

ok, I feel better now.

I can think of at least 25 songs that I like better. And if we count the Exile and Some Girls' bonus tracks as post 1980 then much more. Glad you like it though.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: May 27, 2012 04:23

Tied with Little T&A and Back of My Hand

Date: May 27, 2012 17:11

MightyStonesStillRollin50
treaclefingers
I was listening to it full blast on headphones on my walk to work this morning.

I may have fallen to the ground and did 'the worm' for awhile...it is SOOOOOOOOOO...good.

When I got up the crowd dispersed.

I think there is a longer version of the song on boots, no?

That song is just so good...that song alone makes Tattoo You better than Some Girls.

ok, I feel better now.

I can think of at least 25 songs that I like better. And if we count the Exile and Some Girls' bonus tracks as post 1980 then much more. Glad you like it though.

You don't know what you're missing, but that's ok, I was slow to come around as well.

Date: May 27, 2012 21:13

loog droog
xke38
As far as I'm concerned, it's a great track which is sadly marred by the Bee Gees style vocals.

"Slave".... Bee Gees??

You must be thinking of "Heaven."

Bee Gees ?? Anywhere? And I only take offense because it is meant as a slight here. IMO there is nothing wrong w/ Bee Gees vocals to begin with.
But - the minute there is a falsetto, you cry "Bee Gees!" ??
Love the "Slave"; when it opens up in the part "don't wanna be your slaaave.."

There is a high pitched guitar in the boot version that hits a straight chord together with the snare. I get hypnotized by that one guitar to the point where I can hear nothing but.
I have always found that the riff reminds me of the "Hey Negrita" riff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-27 21:16 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: December 24, 2012 17:24

do it, do it, do it, do it, do ayyyyyyyyy-it...!

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: December 24, 2012 17:50

Slave is a great song from a great album. I like all periods of the Stones. Other great songs from around that time are Highwire and Love Is Strong. Some great stuff off Bridges To Babylon as well, which I didn't like at first but has aged very well. Even Bigger Bang gets better with every listen. There's only one track that i always skip immediately, Moon Is Up.

Date: December 26, 2012 00:36

Shade
Slave is a great song from a great album. I like all periods of the Stones. Other great songs from around that time are Highwire and Love Is Strong. Some great stuff off Bridges To Babylon as well, which I didn't like at first but has aged very well. Even Bigger Bang gets better with every listen. There's only one track that i always skip immediately, Moon Is Up.

Well, there are a group of songs that fit within the 'skip immediately' list unfortunately, and Moon Is Up is right up there. Infamy comes to mind, Already Over Me, Biggest Mistake, Streets of Love, YGMR, oh...there are lots.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 26, 2012 01:49

treaclefingers
Shade

Well, there are a group of songs that fit within the 'skip immediately' list unfortunately, and Moon Is Up is right up there. Infamy comes to mind, Already Over Me, Biggest Mistake, Streets of Love, YGMR, oh...there are lots.

there's a great shortcut to skipping these songs: don't play voodoo lounge, bridges to babylon and bigger bang. you'll save all kinds of time on skipping.

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: December 26, 2012 03:51

I don't know why I'd skip listening to those albums, there's some great stuff there. I'm a Stones fan, so I like almost all of their stuff. To each his own.

Date: December 26, 2012 05:07

StonesTod
treaclefingers
Shade

there's a great shortcut to skipping these songs: don't play voodoo lounge, bridges to babylon and bigger bang. you'll save all kinds of time on skipping.

wot, next your going to say the last 3 decades have been a creatively uninspiring period for the band. oh, merry Christmas!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 26, 2012 13:48

a great song .one of there best imho !!!!!!

Date: December 26, 2012 14:21

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
Shade

wot, next your going to say the last 3 decades have been a creatively uninspiring period for the band. oh, merry Christmas!

hey! it's not just been that and you know it. it's been been vapid on the creative front, but the last three decades have been highly lucrative for them. when you can combine vapid creativity with profitability, you've really discovered something. so quit yer bellyaching.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 26, 2012 15:12

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
Shade

hey! it's not just been that and you know it. it's been been vapid on the creative front, but the last three decades have been highly lucrative for them. when you can combine vapid creativity with profitability, you've really discovered something. so quit yer bellyaching.
hey ole buddy.back from exile!!!!!!!

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: December 26, 2012 15:54

When I first bought the TY lp I used to play Slave over and over again at max volume, I just got sucked up in the groove and wished it went on for 12 minutes.

Date: December 26, 2012 16:44

coffeepotman
When I first bought the TY lp I used to play Slave over and over again at max volume, I just got sucked up in the groove and wished it went on for 12 minutes.

and now? jeezus, man...don't leave us hangin' here...

Date: December 26, 2012 17:30

TheGreek
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
Shade

yeah, there used to be a greek guy here years ago but he didn't look anything like you.

Date: December 26, 2012 18:58

StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
Shade

yeah, there used to be a greek guy here years ago but he didn't look anything like you.

Hey, I think I remember him...was he the guy that wore the toga?

Date: December 26, 2012 19:00

treaclefingers
StonesTod
TheGreek
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
Shade

Hey, I think I remember him...was he the guy that wore the toga?

ha...well, don't we all wear that garb while we post here? oh, i see...you're being ironic or something.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home