Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 37
Re: Forget the rumours, the new boot IS LA '75!
Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: April 7, 2012 00:29

melillo
BTW WHY HAVE THE VAULTS SUDDENLY OPENED?

Because if they wait a little more, mostly of their old fans would be dead .
Ah Ah
it's now or never

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 7, 2012 00:43

works for me

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 7, 2012 04:08

hbwriter, if I didn't think it was outrageous because Doxa's words are so good I'd think that you were dogging me to break up the continuity of the thread.

Why quote something without a comment? We can all read just fine, no need to clutter the board and the thread with nothing new to add. Her words were already "forever" without a repeat. Althouigh I must say it's the best thing I've heard from you. Sorry couldn't resist. peace

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: April 7, 2012 07:18

26 pages and counting.......

I couldn't read them all so forgive me if somebody already beat me to the comments I'm about to make....

I'm thrilled that they released a '75 show and this one is certainly a good one. I think the mix is very good. There were better shows, sure, but this one's quite good. Thing is, Jagger's vocals seemed to get more exaggerated in the second half of the '75 tour. And honestly, it kind of detracts from the show for me. I really like the '75 tour, and there were some smokin' shows, but I much prefer Jagger's vocals on the earlier shows than I do the latter shows. But still, I'm really happy with it. Ronnie was really good.

I think there's quite a bit of overreaction here though. Always is I guess. Alot of people declaring this the greatest thing ever and all......they'll be over it in a couple weeks.

Before this release, I had been going through all my '73 European Tour recordings and listening to them chronologically. The Stones were SMOKIN' in the first few weeks of that tour. Especially the London shows. Those might have been some of the best performances the band ever gave. When "L.A. Friday" came out, I had made it all the way to the last Berne show. Obviously some shows were better than others but there were really no bad ones at least up to that point. So when I got the new Archive release, I listened to it probably 5-6 times before returning to the '73 European tour recordings. Coming home from work,I was listening to the evening show from Berne on Sept. 26 and was struck by how much better they sounded compared to the recent "L.A. Friday" release. I don't mean sound quality. The Berne recording is a good (for 1973) audience recording that can't compare to the Archive releases. But the band was just better. They were tighter. Jagger's vocals were far, far better. Forceful and emotional. They were firing on all cylenders. It was a gripping performance. I only got through "Dancing With Mr. D" by the time I got home and I left the cd in my car to finish the show tomorrow. But nonetheless, that was the way it made me feel.

And I like the '75 tour. I really like the L.A. recording. But I LOVED that '73 performance.

Re: LA Friday 1975 MUCH better than Brussels 1973!
Date: April 7, 2012 10:01

alimente
DandelionPowderman
I think you miss to mention songs like GS, ADTL, the best version ever of Heartbreaker, ditto of SFTD, the warhorses (which are all brilliant here, maybe with HTW as the exception) and GOOMC - all excellent versions, imo.

"best version ever of Heartbreaker, ditto of SFTD"

I've only recently come to terms with Mick's vocals on Heartbreaker, but BEST EVER VERSION? People,I dig your enthusiasm, but please let's not get carried away,stay reasonable. Ditto SFTD!

Please explain to me which Heartbreaker-version that is better, then. With better I mean playing-wise, and that swings the most.

No version from 1973 (or later) has better playing from TWO guitarists, surely not the versions from Brussels.

The funk session in the middle is unsurpassable.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 7, 2012 13:08

DandelionPowderman
alimente
DandelionPowderman
I think you miss to mention songs like GS, ADTL, the best version ever of Heartbreaker, ditto of SFTD, the warhorses (which are all brilliant here, maybe with HTW as the exception) and GOOMC - all excellent versions, imo.

I've only recently come to terms with Mick's vocals on Heartbreaker, but BEST EVER VERSION? People,I dig your enthusiasm, but please let's not get carried away,stay reasonable. Ditto SFTD!

Please explain to me which Heartbreaker-version that is better, then. With better I mean playing-wise, and that swings the most.

No version from 1973 (or later) has better playing from TWO guitarists, surely not the versions from Brussels.

This one is unsurpassed in my absolutely humble opinion (and with no intent at all to spoil anyone's fun; how could I anyway?)

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 7, 2012 14:01

kleermaker
This one is unsurpassed in my absolutely humble opinion

Mine too. No version comes close, IMO, we're lucky to have that one in excellent stereo

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 7, 2012 14:06

The cow palace tapes r good, better than Cleveland 75

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 7, 2012 14:41

Jaggers half arsed vocals in 1975 are irritating. Tis one of the most annoying things when singers screw about with the songs melody and sing it fast, but half arsed cutting short phrases etc etc. thumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-07 15:48 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 7, 2012 14:45

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
alimente
DandelionPowderman

This one is unsurpassed in my absolutely humble opinion (and with no intent at all to spoil anyone's fun; how could I anyway?)

Aah, now we agree. This indeed is the absolute best version. Actually, this one and Gimme Shelter, Happy and SFM from this show are absolute best versions ever. An exceptional night.

Mathijs

Posted by: eraser ()
Date: April 7, 2012 14:55

Erik_Snow
kleermaker
This one is unsurpassed in my absolutely humble opinion

Mine too. No version comes close, IMO, we're lucky to have that one in excellent stereo

For me the main difference is that MJ seems to actually connect with the song in 1973... Whereas LA 75 sounds like some coked-up drunk has taken over the vocal duties.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 7, 2012 15:03

Mathijs
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
alimente
DandelionPowderman

Aah, now we agree. This indeed is the absolute best version. Actually, this one and Gimme Shelter, Happy and SFM from this show are absolute best versions ever. An exceptional night.

Mathijs

Well folks, this time Mathijs and kleermaker agree wholeheartedly!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 7, 2012 15:15

funny... I hadn't listened to the 73 HB version in years. Now I find it a bit weak when compared to the very muscular renditions of 75.
Sure Taylor shines but I'd tend now to prefer the collective onslaught of the TOTA tour.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 7, 2012 15:18

Oops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-07 15:30 by His Majesty.

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: April 7, 2012 15:44

Just wondering but can anyone picture a superdeluxe box set containing all these shows on cd at some point

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 7, 2012 15:48

kleermaker
Mathijs

Mathijs

Well folks, this time Mathijs and kleermaker agree wholeheartedly!

thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 7, 2012 16:05

Isn't this "best" Heartbreaker (and I wholeheartedly agree) from Wembley '73 and not from one of the Brussels shows? Don't have the time to look it up. Anyway, the "official" Heartbreaker from Brussels as released by the Stones is not as good. On the "best version", everyone, and I mean EVERYONE is firing on all cylinders.... I love how the song starts tentatively and then evolves into this manic performance.

Date: April 7, 2012 16:17

alimente
Isn't this "best" Heartbreaker (and I wholeheartedly agree) from Wembley '73 and not from one of the Brussels shows? Don't have the time to look it up. Anyway, the "official" Heartbreaker from Brussels as released by the Stones is not as good. On the "best version", everyone, and I mean EVERYONE is firing on all cylinders.... I love how the song starts tentatively and then evolves into this manic performance.

Yes this is Wembley Empire Pool, not Brussels. Mathijs also mentions Gimme Shelter, Happy and Street Fighting Man from the same Wembley show being his favourite live versions. And with the exception of Happy; I agree.
Quite wierd that 3 (or 4) "warhorses", which has been played countless of times in the 60s, 70s and later, are considered (by some of us) to never have been performed as well as on this London show.

The rest of the London gig is also tremendous btw....at least as good as Brussels 1973.

When it comes to Gimme Shelter, btw, one of the best versions I know is the Fort Collins GS performance in 1975. A lot better than the official "LA Friday" version, IMO.....worth checking out.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 7, 2012 16:52

Tumblin_Dice_07

I couldn't read them all so forgive me if somebody already beat me to the comments I'm about to make....

I'm thrilled that they released a '75 show and this one is certainly a good one. I think the mix is very good. There were better shows, sure, but this one's quite good. Thing is, Jagger's vocals seemed to get more exaggerated in the second half of the '75 tour. And honestly, it kind of detracts from the show for me. I really like the '75 tour, and there were some smokin' shows, but I much prefer Jagger's vocals on the earlier shows than I do the latter shows.

Tumbling,for me, you have pretty much expressed my sentiments as well. When I first acquired LA 75 as an audience show some 30 + years ago (which came to me via a 3 LP box set Tour of the Americas through the mail), it was my first real boot. At the time, I felt really special (LOL) to have something like this in my possession that many people did not have. It was sort of a novelty item. At the time, having no other boots to compare it to, I was thrilled and thought that the LA 75 show was a great performance. After that, it was just like stamp collecting, I acquired Liver Than You'll Ever Be and then, acquired Bedpring Symphony (Brussels 73) which totally blew my mind! I remember listening to Bedspring next to LA 75 and there was no contest for me. Even today, I think the versions of Angie and Midnight rambler from the 73 shows smoke LA 75 by light years. However, having listened to many shows from the 75-76, I think if the Stones wanted to represent themselves in the best light performance-wise during this time period, probably the early gigs from Buffalo & Toronto from 6/75 (which were both to have been recorded), are probably good bets. I agree with Tumbling that Jagger's vocals seemed to get a little more out there during the latter half of the tour. IMHO, when I listen to Buffalo & Toronto, his singing & phrasing appears to be less ragged and more on target and enjoyable.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 7, 2012 17:48

Tumblin_Dice_07

I'm thrilled that they released a '75 show and this one is certainly a good one. I think the mix is very good. There were better shows, sure, but this one's quite good. Thing is, Jagger's vocals seemed to get more exaggerated in the second half of the '75 tour. And honestly, it kind of detracts from the show for me. I really like the '75 tour, and there were some smokin' shows, but I much prefer Jagger's vocals on the earlier shows than I do the latter shows. But still, I'm really happy with it. Ronnie was really good.

I think there's quite a bit of overreaction here though. Always is I guess. Alot of people declaring this the greatest thing ever and all......they'll be over it in a couple weeks.

Before this release, I had been going through all my '73 European Tour recordings and listening to them chronologically. The Stones were SMOKIN' in the first few weeks of that tour. Especially the London shows. Those might have been some of the best performances the band ever gave. When "L.A. Friday" came out, I had made it all the way to the last Berne show. Obviously some shows were better than others but there were really no bad ones at least up to that point. So when I got the new Archive release, I listened to it probably 5-6 times before returning to the '73 European tour recordings. Coming home from work,I was listening to the evening show from Berne on Sept. 26 and was struck by how much better they sounded compared to the recent "L.A. Friday" release. I don't mean sound quality. The Berne recording is a good (for 1973) audience recording that can't compare to the Archive releases. But the band was just better. They were tighter. Jagger's vocals were far, far better. Forceful and emotional. They were firing on all cylenders. It was a gripping performance. I only got through "Dancing With Mr. D" by the time I got home and I left the cd in my car to finish the show tomorrow. But nonetheless, that was the way it made me feel.

And I like the '75 tour. I really like the L.A. recording. But I LOVED that '73 performance.

I definitely recognize all that. There are so many amazing '69-'73 performances that tend to be forgotten because they're not officially released. Some wicked stuff from the UK '73. And Australia, and so on. The Stones were very even that year, no sloppy periods at all really.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: April 7, 2012 20:26

Sighunt

Tumbling,for me, you have pretty much expressed my sentiments as well. When I first acquired LA 75 as an audience show some 30 + years ago (which came to me via a 3 LP box set Tour of the Americas through the mail), it was my first real boot. At the time, I felt really special (LOL) to have something like this in my possession that many people did not have. It was sort of a novelty item. At the time, having no other boots to compare it to, I was thrilled and thought that the LA 75 show was a great performance. After that, it was just like stamp collecting, I acquired Liver Than You'll Ever Be and then, acquired Bedpring Symphony (Brussels 73) which totally blew my mind! I remember listening to Bedspring next to LA 75 and there was no contest for me. Even today, I think the versions of Angie and Midnight rambler from the 73 shows smoke LA 75 by light years. However, having listened to many shows from the 75-76, I think if the Stones wanted to represent themselves in the best light performance-wise during this time period, probably the early gigs from Buffalo & Toronto from 6/75 (which were both to have been recorded), are probably good bets. I agree with Tumbling that Jagger's vocals seemed to get a little more out there during the latter half of the tour. IMHO, when I listen to Buffalo & Toronto, his singing & phrasing appears to be less ragged and more on target and enjoyable.

Yeah I would have preferred something from earlier in the tour but I understand why they went with this L.A. show. It's probably the most famous boot from this tour. I can appreciate the '75 tour for what it was......a great drug fueled circus with great energy, but Jaggers vocals take something away from it for me. I mean, even on "Angie" and "Wild Horses"....these are ballads and he just slurs his way through, not even trying to be on key. It's a great party, but that's all it is. He doesn't sell the song. Doesn't make me believe it the way he did just a few years earlier. I think maybe the people that love the '75 tour kind of revel in the energy and the party atmosphere, and I can get into that. But I'm also a musician and maybe kind of old school in the sense that I think you're supposed to go out there and give it all you've got every night. And the quality of what you're playing and singing comes first for me. Jagger might have been giving his all with the dancing and prancing, but the vocals.......

I think you can probably hear alot of similarities in Jagger's singing from the end of the '73 tour to the first few weeks of the '75 tour. I know this has been discussed before though so I'll let it be. Point I'm trying to make I suppose is that, I understand the people who knock the '75 tour and particularly Jagger's singing....and I understand why some people love it.

Date: April 7, 2012 23:42

uptight people here or what with all the arguing going on, this show is better than that one, ...blah blah blah blah... who cares? .. to my ears, the 1975 LA show just released is damn great. peace.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-07 23:47 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 7, 2012 23:46

pinkfloydthebarber
uptight people here or what with all the arguing going on, this show is better than that one, ...blah blah blah blah... who cares? to my ears, the 1975 LA show just released is damn great. peace.

Well that's the difference between analysis and bee-buddy talk. 20 years ago a fellow fan told me "the 75 tour started with a bang but when the band left NYC [after June 27] the shows never were as good".

I'm still trying to see if he's wrong or right : getting shows, listening to them, comparing them, etc etc.

Date: April 7, 2012 23:49

-I'm still trying to see if he's wrong or right : getting shows, listening to them, comparing them, etc etc.-

* if ya got nuthin else or better to do, I guess. whatever turns your crank. of course some gigs are better than others. I don't really care, I am just happy to hear what I get.

Date: April 8, 2012 01:28

pinkfloydthebarber
* if ya got nuthin else or better to do, I guess. whatever turns your crank. of course some gigs are better than others. I don't really care, I am just happy to hear what I get.

OK you don't care. So just sit there and be happy. Us others are having a discussion cos we are interested.

Date: April 8, 2012 01:30

Tumblin_Dice_07
I understand the people who knock the '75 tour and particularly Jagger's singing....and I understand why some people love it.

That's very diplomatic. And; I agree.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 8, 2012 01:35

Erik_Snow
Tumblin_Dice_07
I understand the people who knock the '75 tour and particularly Jagger's singing....and I understand why some people love it.

I agree too...but does spoil more than one song with his vocals. Like Gimme Shelter...it's fantastic...but wtf is he moaning about over the guitar solos....

Date: April 8, 2012 01:42

palerider22
Erik_Snow
Tumblin_Dice_07

I agree too...but does spoil more than one song with his vocals. Like Gimme Shelter...it's fantastic...but wtf is he moaning about over the guitar solos....

Well...I happen to me among them who dig Jagger's vocals in 1975. He took a risk with serving the audience something like that....but it worked better at some songs than others; we agree. If RS released a show from the 2 first weeks of TOTA 1975, instead of LA Friday; I guess there would be less complaints about Jagger's approach.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-08 02:00 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 8, 2012 03:19

I just listened to LA Friday full blast on the headphones...@#$%& ing hell..........I am now officially a Salvidor Dali painting...........cool smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 8, 2012 10:32

Erik_Snow
Well...I happen to me among them who dig Jagger's vocals in 1975. He took a risk with serving the audience something like that....but it worked better at some songs than others; we agree. If RS released a show from the 2 first weeks of TOTA 1975, instead of LA Friday; I guess there would be less complaints about Jagger's approach.

Took a risk? Maybe Jagger just didn't give a sh-t and went on a bit of a Jack and coke bender. That tour is the most consistently out of it that Jagger ever sounded. Some nights he sounds downright blotto after his quick refreshment during the Billy Preston segment.

At the time, Jagger was making pronouncements that made him appear less than enchanted with his job and his legacy ("I'd rather be dead than singing Satisfaction when I'm 45," anyone?). He seemed to be itchy to get on with life beyond The Rolling Stones. After Ned Kelly and Performance, he wanted to get more into acting, but wasn't getting anywhere with that (unlike David Bowie, who was about to do The Man Who Fell to Earth).

Add to the mix that his wife was openly involved with Jack Ford, the son of the then-president of the United States. Never mind that he wasn't exactly one to be too concerned with his own fidelity. A friend of mine who saw the Washington/Landover show on the 1975 tour told me that, with Bianca in the front row, Mick handed her a bouquet of flowers and then proceeded to sing his ass off, as if to remind her who was the real man in her life. FWIW, I've not seen this story reported elsewhere, and I don't have a recording of that night.

Long story short, he may have seen himself as a cuckold who was stuck in a dead-end job. Such a situation has surely been known to drive lesser people to excess.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-08 21:31 by ab.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1454
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home