Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 37
Re: Forget the rumours, the new boot IS LA '75!
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 11, 2012 00:07

dewlover
"everyone would have been fine!"
Yeah, right dcba, sure they would, sure...

...and then we have "there's bad tours" ???
So exactly which tours were "bad"??

You just came with the most crucial contribution to this thread!

Happy?

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: April 11, 2012 00:28

jpasc95
midnrambler
I have the impression that some people here can never be satisfied, regardless of what you offer them. If they would release all shows ever in superb soundboard quality they would still find something to criticize... sad smiley

Here's what I wished in December last year:
[www.iorr.org]
Somehow they heared me smiling smiley
yes i agree
I am astounded to read that LA Friday is the weakest of the releases (of all 1975 shows ?)
Honestly it's a bit too much.

you may got something wrong. some people said (me including), that the release of the real friday show (july 11th) would be the worst release. this one here is great, although july 10th or 12th would have been more exciting, because of sound quality upgrade.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 11, 2012 06:51

kleermaker

Depends on whom you consider to be 'top bloggers'. Mine certainly would go for something great from the 69, 70, 71 and 72 tours.

Edit: and to please our His Majesty one from the Brian era.

grinning smiley thumbs up

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 11, 2012 09:30

Bricklayer
Like the rest of you I'm a huge fan who's spent a lot of time (probably too much time) listening to, reading about, thinking about, or trying play Stones music. So when the band announced the bootleg series I was intrigued.....imagine the possibilities! A plum from the '69 tour, a gem from the '70 tour, a nugget from the '71 tour, or a rarity from the '72 tour. Well not be friends, we get a good '73 show (remember this is the year Keith's heroin habit kicked into high gear and Mick T. admitted being bored with the music), a '78 show?!?! ( a scrappy tour that had its' moments but please!), and now clunker from '75 (Ronnie admitted that he barely knew the songs on this tour).

Obviously the Stones (like every band) have a far different take on their music than their fans do. Why not assemble the top twenty bloggers from this site to pick the next three releases?

O no, not another one who registers on IORR just three weeks ago and then starts telling us it all went shite after Taylor left...

Anyway. After seeing the Newcastle and Manchester pics from 71 I am really in the mood for any of those shows. Now let's hope Clearmountain takes it easy on the compression.

Mathijs

Date: April 11, 2012 10:47

kleermaker
falo01
Bricklayer
Like the rest of you I'm a huge fan who's spent a lot of time (probably too much time) listening to, reading about, thinking about, or trying play Stones music. So when the band announced the bootleg series I was intrigued.....imagine the possibilities! A plum from the '69 tour, a gem from the '70 tour, a nugget from the '71 tour, or a rarity from the '72 tour. Well not be friends, we get a good '73 show (remember this is the year Keith's heroin habit kicked into high gear and Mick T. admitted being bored with the music), a '78 show?!?! ( a scrappy tour that had its' moments but please!), and now clunker from '75 (Ronnie admitted that he barely knew the songs on this tour).

Obviously the Stones (like every band) have a far different take on their music than their fans do. Why not assemble the top twenty bloggers from this site to pick the next three releases?

I´m sure those top bloggers would definetly choose a 75 show....

Depends on whom you consider to be 'top bloggers'. Mine certainly would go for something great from the 69, 70, 71 and 72 tours.

Edit: and to please our His Majesty one from the Brian era.

I'm really hoping for a 66/67 show, as well as a 72 show.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 11, 2012 11:22

After the 24-song feast of LA Friday, the trouble with the Brian-era material is that the shows are so much shorter - maybe 12 songs at most. Personally I wouldn't feel short-changed to get a 66/67 show in good quality, but I'd guess whoever is managing these things would think that most buyers would want more bang for their buck.

Perhaps they could combine items from two or more shows? Or settle the copyright issues with the BBC? (unlikely - I think Auntie Beeb will want to release their own Stones At The BBC eventually - or at least they will want to keep that possibility open).

Sadly, I don't think we will get a Brian-era boot in this series. But I do hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 11, 2012 14:43

"O no, not another one who registers on IORR just three weeks ago and then starts telling us it all went shite after Taylor left... "

Spot on again Mathijs!!! You ARE the King IMHO. I look forward to see You on the next tour and talk guitars!!!

Posted by: Bricklayer ()
Date: April 12, 2012 00:47

Mathijs
Bricklayer

O no, not another one who registers on IORR just three weeks ago and then starts telling us it all went shite after Taylor left...

Anyway. After seeing the Newcastle and Manchester pics from 71 I am really in the mood for any of those shows. Now let's hope Clearmountain takes it easy on the compression.

Mathijs

Oops, I didn't realize I had to be a member for more than three weeks to criticize, I'll re-read the rule book.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 12, 2012 16:23

Bricklayer
Mathijs
Bricklayer

Mathijs

Oops, I didn't realize I had to be a member for more than three weeks to criticize, I'll re-read the rule book.

Rule 1 : never say something that Mathijs does not agree with. He is thinks Taylor is over-rated.

Rule 2 : even a deaf man can see the Taylor-era Stones was the greatest era of the Stones.

Rule 3 : LA Friday - people are still getting themselves way too excited about a good performance which has been mixed very well.

Rule 4 : The Stones are all about being a sloppy rock 'n roll, thats why we love them...hahaha WTF ??? you would never associate sloppy rock 'n roll with the Stones in their peak from 1969 -- 1973...I wonder why ???? I wonder who left the band ???????

Rule 5 : dont take anything to heart on this board.

Date: April 12, 2012 16:40

My hearing is fine as is my eye sight and it's clear to me that the so called taylor era stones was not the greatest as such, more that it was a continuation of a great period, but not in itself better than what the band did before he joined.

smiling smiley

Date: April 12, 2012 16:47

but that is not a rule...sorry

Date: April 12, 2012 16:50

Eleanor Rigby
Bricklayer
Mathijs
Bricklayer

Mathijs

Rule 1 : never say something that Mathijs does not agree with. He is thinks Taylor is over-rated.

Rule 2 : even a deaf man can see the Taylor-era Stones was the greatest era of the Stones.

Rule 3 : LA Friday - people are still getting themselves way too excited about a good performance which has been mixed very well.

Rule 4 : The Stones are all about being a sloppy rock 'n roll, thats why we love them...hahaha WTF ??? you would never associate sloppy rock 'n roll with the Stones in their peak from 1969 -- 1973...I wonder why ???? I wonder who left the band ???????

Rule 5 : dont take anything to heart on this board.

Rule 6: There are no exceptions regarding sloppiness for the 69-74 line up winking smiley

Date: April 12, 2012 16:51

Eleanor Rigby

It's a reply to a silly rule. smiling smiley

Date: April 12, 2012 17:02

His Majesty
Eleanor Rigby

well what rule smiling smiley
ha...its getting sillier...

Date: April 12, 2012 17:05

Eleanor Rigby
His Majesty
Eleanor Rigby

The humurous oddity that is Rule 2 up above. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-12 17:06 by His Majesty.

Date: April 12, 2012 17:38

His Majesty
Eleanor Rigby
His Majesty
Eleanor Rigby

The humurous oddity that is Rule 2 up above. smiling smiley

yes but that was actually meant to be...i believe even a deaf man could see... smiling smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 12, 2012 17:45

I happen to love this version a lot, and so do many YT-listeners cool smiley.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 12, 2012 17:55

kleermaker
I happen to love this version a lot, and so do many YT-listeners

So do I. I absolutely luuuuv' sloppiness.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: April 12, 2012 18:21

marcovandereijk
kleermaker

haha...thats why they dropped it after a few nights...the Stones in their prime dont settle for sloppiness...it was perfection back in the 1969-73 period. But hey - some people like the sloppiness.

Date: April 12, 2012 18:54

Eleanor Rigby
marcovandereijk
kleermaker

haha...thats why they dropped it after a few nights...the Stones in their prime dont settle for sloppiness...it was perfection back in the 1969-73 period. But hey - some people like the sloppiness.

I don't consider it to be sloppy, just not perfect, as it was their first gig of the 72 tour. Other songs from that show were also not perfect yet and grew during the tour. See and listen for instance to my weekly GS version from 72/73.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 12, 2012 20:04

kleermaker
Eleanor Rigby
marcovandereijk
kleermaker

I don't consider it to be sloppy, just not perfect, as it was their first gig of the 72 tour. Other songs from that show were also not perfect yet and grew during the tour. See and listen for instance to my weekly GS version from 72/73.

What Kleerie says goes very well with what Bobby Keyes says in his book of those days and tours. The band didn't actually rehearse their new songs enough (or at all) but just went on to the stage to see what happens. Because they had just recorded them they thought the songs were in their mind. For that reason, for example, "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" totally collapsed when they tried that in 1971. Reading Bobby's description of that makes one really hungry to hear the actual performance... How bad it actually went...

Any case, I think in any Taylor era tour the first concert(s) were rather rough deals and quite far from perfection, even though finally end up sounding incredibly sharp and focused. But it was never in the sense 'professional' as it is these (post 89) days. They were always on the edge, finding new angles, trying to perfect the thing. It kept developing like a living organ. I have always thought that The Rolling Stones is - or was in their glory days - basically a band that can't really rehearse but needs the actual context - the battlefield, the stage with audience - to have all their cylinders on. They can only develop musically there.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-12 20:29 by Doxa.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 12, 2012 20:37

Doxa

Any case, I think in any Taylor tour the fist concert(s) were rather rough deals and quite far from perfection, even though finally end up sounding incredibly sharp and 'trained' in the end. But it was never in the sense 'professional' as it is these (post 89) days. They were always on the edge, finding new angles, trying to perfect the thing. It kept developing like a living organ. I have always thought taht The Rolling Stones is basically a band that can't really rehearse but needs the actual context - the battlefield, the stage with audience - to have all their cylinders on. They can only develop musically there.

- Doxa

What I did like of both the Hyde Park (that I see as the true premiere of the 69-70 run) and Vancouver 72 concerts was that the arrangements of all songs were much more sophisticated and full of interesting ideas. You could hear that they were still very much in the "studio" mode. While the tour moved forwards, the arrangements bacame more and more basic and safe. But on the other hand - and this is what counts - the generlal sound of band as whole became more loose and powerful.

C

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 12, 2012 22:03

FINALLY got to hear the damn thing, or at least the first few cuts. First off it's better than I thought it would be. I feared it would sound like LYL, which I listened to once, excepting the El Mocacmbo side. Ronnie is on fire, sounding like he's auditioning for the band. Bill seems more subdued, which I think he does when the guitars get flying and there's no room for him to step foward. Charlie is fantastic. If You Can't Rock Me is dynamite, indeed.

1975 should be known as the sleaze tour. The band never sounded more greasy and decadent. It makes the '72 tour sound prim by comparison. Which surprised me when I heard @#$%& and think it sounds better in '73 than live '75.

Posted by: openthedoor ()
Date: April 12, 2012 22:16

dont know if you have covered this before but
have you noticed keith is a tad too late with singing
in the 2nd verse of happy. In the chorus they get right again.
Funny, I dont think keith made it with purpose...

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 12, 2012 22:27

I've just gained appreciation for the version of "Jumpin Jack Flash" on this recording. Some fantastic moments throughout the song....absolutely wonderful interplay between Keith, Ronnie and Charlie.

Date: April 12, 2012 22:34

kleermaker

I love it too, but it sure is sloppy as hell smiling smiley

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: April 14, 2012 15:08

LA75 is growing on me the more I listen to it. Ronnie plays great, in If You Can't Rock Me he almost sounds like Mick T on the studio version.

What I don't like though is the large amount of reverb of various types added to all the instrument tracks, which muddies the mix somewhat. This recording is part of the same series of recordings used for LYL, only with LYL they retained a dryer sound with very little or no reverb used.

There's also a lot of compression on the LA75 drum track, almost has that pumping compression effect.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 14, 2012 15:47

WeLoveYou
LA75 is growing on me the more I listen to it....
It's true...and I found it surprising. At first I thought this release was awful...Jaggers vocals and all that. But I somewhat 'forced' myself to listen to the whole thing a couple times and it suddenly dawned on me that I was loving it...LOL. It's all great fun and I 'get' what Jagger's doing with his singing.
In 3.5 weeks I've already listened to Disc 1 of L.A. Friday more times than Album 1 of Love You Live which I've had 35 years! As for Disc 2...I do think the 4 versions on side 4 of the LYL album are a notch better than the ones here...but not by much...Cheers

Date: April 14, 2012 16:19

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker

Hell is all but sloppy. You'll see one day and you won't love it. cool smiley

Date: April 14, 2012 18:11

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker

Hell is all but sloppy. You'll see one day and you won't love it. cool smiley

You think I´ll go to hell? Hm, back in the day you called me a gentleman - what happened? winking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1370
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home