Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 37
Re: Forget the rumours, the new boot IS LA '75!
Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 14, 2012 19:48

The cant u hearing me knocking story was the high point of Bobby's book

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 14, 2012 20:26

Ive noticed something about Brown Sugar last night listening to this show. Bill sounds so good on it. He is absolutely Killin' it on this song!

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: April 14, 2012 23:57

The 4th official release will be,no doubt,one of the shows which have been done by TSP and bootlegged many times by others so something like:

Leeds 1971
Oakland 1969
Philadelphia 1972
Paris 1976
Passaic 1978
Atlantic City 1989
London 1990

Hendrik Mulder

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
falo01
Bricklayer
Like the rest of you I'm a huge fan who's spent a lot of time (probably too much time) listening to, reading about, thinking about, or trying play Stones music. So when the band announced the bootleg series I was intrigued.....imagine the possibilities! A plum from the '69 tour, a gem from the '70 tour, a nugget from the '71 tour, or a rarity from the '72 tour. Well not be friends, we get a good '73 show (remember this is the year Keith's heroin habit kicked into high gear and Mick T. admitted being bored with the music), a '78 show?!?! ( a scrappy tour that had its' moments but please!), and now clunker from '75 (Ronnie admitted that he barely knew the songs on this tour).

Obviously the Stones (like every band) have a far different take on their music than their fans do. Why not assemble the top twenty bloggers from this site to pick the next three releases?

I´m sure those top bloggers would definetly choose a 75 show....

Depends on whom you consider to be 'top bloggers'. Mine certainly would go for something great from the 69, 70, 71 and 72 tours.

Edit: and to please our His Majesty one from the Brian era.

I'm really hoping for a 66/67 show, as well as a 72 show.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 15, 2012 00:25

Hendrik
The 4th official release will be,no doubt,one of the shows which have been done by TSP and bootlegged many times by others so something like:

Leeds 1971
Oakland 1969
Philadelphia 1972
Paris 1976
Passaic 1978
Atlantic City 1989
London 1990

Hendrik Mulder

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
falo01
Bricklayer
Like the rest of you I'm a huge fan who's spent a lot of time (probably too much time) listening to, reading about, thinking about, or trying play Stones music. So when the band announced the bootleg series I was intrigued.....imagine the possibilities! A plum from the '69 tour, a gem from the '70 tour, a nugget from the '71 tour, or a rarity from the '72 tour. Well not be friends, we get a good '73 show (remember this is the year Keith's heroin habit kicked into high gear and Mick T. admitted being bored with the music), a '78 show?!?! ( a scrappy tour that had its' moments but please!), and now clunker from '75 (Ronnie admitted that he barely knew the songs on this tour).

Obviously the Stones (like every band) have a far different take on their music than their fans do. Why not assemble the top twenty bloggers from this site to pick the next three releases?

Depends on whom you consider to be 'top bloggers'. Mine certainly would go for something great from the 69, 70, 71 and 72 tours.

(Former) TSP has his hands in it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-15 00:25 by retired_dog.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 15, 2012 11:22

I wonder what happened to Ron Wood after this tour!!!!!!!!!! He plays awfully well, and KR too.
He is not MT, but i must admit that i do not miss MT in any of these songs (many of them warhorses from the MT era).
The fingerprint file version is o great with KR playing perfectly.
Now i am in the Billy Preston set, there is so much concert to be heard, but i am very surprised of RW's playing

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 15, 2012 11:51

I´m just hoping that they´ll release something pre-89
and a show, that is incomplete or unknown in collector´s
circles.

I don´t want a sb show I have in sb by Swinging Pig etc.

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: April 15, 2012 16:10

True but it definitely won;t be a show which is unknown in collector's series although we were pleasantly surprised by Brussels 1973.

We have to realise that, as said on stonesarchive.com, that the Stones have unlocked the door to their archive is NOT meant for the die hard fans on here who have plenty of bootlegs.
The Stones aim on everyone who has most of the official material but did not have (or rarely has) access to bootlegs....
And yes, also all the die hard collectors on here will make sure that they buy (or get) these now authorized recordings + 99% of the people NOT on here have access to bootlegs and BUYING this.....

Hendrik Mulder
TooTough
I´m just hoping that they´ll release something pre-89
and a show, that is incomplete or unknown in collector´s
circles.

I don´t want a sb show I have in sb by Swinging Pig etc.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 15, 2012 16:18

I wonder what the sales have been of the bootleg series

Date: April 15, 2012 18:47

ryanpow
Ive noticed something about Brown Sugar last night listening to this show. Bill sounds so good on it. He is absolutely Killin' it on this song!

This morning I have to admit was the first time I listened to the entire show all the way through. And once again I am struck by Bill Wyman. Several things are not as good in the band anymore, but IMO the main missing link is Wyman.
Beginning in 72 the ending section is often a blur; something to be seen, almost more than heard. But "Rip this Joint": after the first "Wham Bam " section where the first solo comes in, Bill Wyman starts walking underneath and completely transforms this song.
Then, I have never heard JJF in the ending section sounding this powerful. The Bass is mixed way high; as in 'the lo end is high up'.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 15, 2012 20:02

It is bemusing to see the transformation of Bill Wyman's importance to the band. Most fans shrugged their shoulders when he walked away, but I knew it would have a big impact. Most people couldn't wrap around their heads that this strange, elfin looking guy standing rock still was pumping out all that power beneath the band. Or that on record he was providing melodic points so needed in the absence of Brian Jones and Mick Taylor. And isn't it ironic that he's now on the road more than any of them?

I don't know how believable Keith's comments are that Wyman is a 'revelation' after Keith listened to these old live tapes. He might be being politically correct and mouthing what others like Don Was are saying. If not, that's pretty sad that the man stood on stage with you for 30 years and you didn't get it.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 16, 2012 05:02

KeithNacho
I wonder what happened to Ron Wood after this tour!!!!!!!!!! He plays awfully well, and KR too.
He is not MT, but i must admit that i do not miss MT in any of these songs (many of them warhorses from the MT era).
The fingerprint file version is o great with KR playing perfectly.
Now i am in the Billy Preston set, there is so much concert to be heard, but i am very surprised of RW's playing

...by the end of the decade RW was abusing his body as much as KR....it took both of them another 30 years to give up drugs all together. That's what happened.

Date: April 16, 2012 10:09

Hendrik

Leeds 1971
Oakland 1969
Philadelphia 1972
Paris 1976
Passaic 1978
Atlantic City 1989
London 1990

Hendrik Mulder

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
falo01
Bricklayer

Of those shows, I bet it's gonna be Philly 1972. However, remember that they chose a show that wasn't bootlegged in good quality with Brussels...

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: April 16, 2012 10:34

24FPS
It is bemusing to see the transformation of Bill Wyman's importance to the band. Most fans shrugged their shoulders when he walked away, but I knew it would have a big impact. Most people couldn't wrap around their heads that this strange, elfin looking guy standing rock still was pumping out all that power beneath the band. Or that on record he was providing melodic points so needed in the absence of Brian Jones and Mick Taylor. And isn't it ironic that he's now on the road more than any of them?

I don't know how believable Keith's comments are that Wyman is a 'revelation' after Keith listened to these old live tapes. He might be being politically correct and mouthing what others like Don Was are saying. If not, that's pretty sad that the man stood on stage with you for 30 years and you didn't get it.

I don't think it took Keith 30 years to "get it" about Bill Wyman. I remember reading interviews back around the '78 and '81 tours where Keith stated his admiration for what Bill brought to the band, and he was very upset when Bill quit.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 17, 2012 06:23

The point abouts Bill's importance in the band and this record is probably due to the excellent job Bob C has done mixing and EQ'ing Bill's tracks. He sounds better all throughout the record but at times where appropriate he STANDS OUT.

KeithNacho I thought the same as you about Ronnie's playing and could only conclude that he was on the spot in 1975 and had to learn to play all MT's parts! So not only is he trying to play those wonderful lines which are not really his, he is also forced to really pay attention and be thinking about his playing. I think it true of most musicians that you get the best out of them when they are not so comfortable with their parts that they loose the "forced concentration" aspect of their playing. Ronnie's too busy being confortable being Keith's bouncing board in later day Stones, imho.

I wonder how Faces fans would rate his playing in recent years, during shows with that old band of his. Maybe his sobriety will yield another apple or three. Bound to have an effect on these next Stone's shows, which would be his first sober one if I'm not mistaken. peace

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 17, 2012 09:15

Naturalust
The point abouts Bill's importance in the band and this record is probably due to the excellent job Bob C has done mixing and EQ'ing Bill's tracks. He sounds better all throughout the record but at times where appropriate he STANDS OUT.

Clearmountain has mixed Bill Wyman nicely in the mix, yes, and that IS very appropriate, but the exception is Hampton 1981. Maybe it's because I'm used to the bootleg, in which he was VERY high in the mix.... but I really think Bob should have turned up Bill for the Hampton concert. Especially since it's one of his best peroids/concerts

Date: April 17, 2012 09:25

Erik_Snow
Naturalust

Clearmountain has mixed Bill Wyman nicely in the mix, yes, and that IS very appropriate, but the exception is Hampton 1981. Maybe it's because I'm used to the bootleg, in which he was VERY high in the mix.... but I really think Bob should have turned up Bill for the Hampton concert. Especially since it's one of his best peroids/concerts

It may not be too late Erik, sometimes they will do a remix-remaster for another "pressing" of the record. It this case no pressing but it is not unheard of for better mixes to come out later and be included in the "original" releases sold at a later date. I for one completely agree with your opinion on Hampton and Bob just may be listening... peace

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 17, 2012 16:15

DandelionPowderman
Hendrik

Leeds 1971
Oakland 1969
Philadelphia 1972
Paris 1976
Passaic 1978
Atlantic City 1989
London 1990

Hendrik Mulder

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
falo01
Bricklayer

Of those shows, I bet it's gonna be Philly 1972. However, remember that they chose a show that wasn't bootlegged in good quality with Brussels...

There were actually three Phillys in 1972.

Date: April 17, 2012 16:48

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Hendrik

Leeds 1971
Oakland 1969
Philadelphia 1972
Paris 1976
Passaic 1978
Atlantic City 1989
London 1990

Hendrik Mulder

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
falo01
Bricklayer

There were actually three Phillys in 1972.

Exactly, and we might be in for a treat, getting a different show than we would have expected...

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 17, 2012 18:12

well, the interviews on rollingstones archive have already been taped. You would think there is more to talk about regarding the New York 1972 Birthday show than a Philly show. So I am leaning to the MJ birthday show with the cream pies being thrown on stage etc...more for Jagger and Keith to chat about, plus it fits the criteria of being a popular boot and a top performance.

bring it on

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 17, 2012 19:24

I would hope for a 72 show! We still don't have a really good audio evidence of their greatest tour.
But I think they will sail to Vegas shores now. However - as said before - there is some good stuff among those later years as well.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 17, 2012 20:00

Eleanor Rigby
well, the interviews on rollingstones archive have already been taped. You would think there is more to talk about regarding the New York 1972 Birthday show than a Philly show. So I am leaning to the MJ birthday show with the cream pies being thrown on stage etc...more for Jagger and Keith to chat about, plus it fits the criteria of being a popular boot and a top performance.

bring it on

Besides, Hampton show was Keith's birthday party show. So a Mick birthday party show would nicely balance the things...(and we know the amount of egos involved here...grinning smiley)

- Doxa

Posted by: johang ()
Date: April 17, 2012 20:23

The best shows to come are Knebworth and El Mocambo, after that they should release the video as well from Hamton, LA and Knebworth, then we will he Happy!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 17, 2012 21:58

johang
The best shows to come are Knebworth and El Mocambo, after that they should release the video as well from Hamton, LA and Knebworth, then we will he Happy!

Speak for yourself.

I demand, I repeat demand, shows from 1970 (gimme Essen), 1971 (with Wild Horses and CYHMK) and of course the ultimate 1972 show

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 17, 2012 22:31

Naturalust
I wonder how Faces fans would rate his playing in recent years, during shows with that old band of his.
Maybe his sobriety will yield another apple or three. Bound to have an effect on these next Stones shows,
which would be his first sober one if I'm not mistaken

1] Ronnie sounded stunningly great at the Faces shows i was at
2] he was also sober for stretches of the Licks tour and the ABB tour
3] i love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: April 18, 2012 00:44

johang

Knebworth would be phenomenal, but will they really release a 75 and 76 show, and still have Love You Live to boot? It is a killer setlist, but it's also a pretty shoddy performance -- according to them.

I'm not sure we'll see a 72 show. And if we do, I'm betting they save it for last. But those tapes/recordings are purported to not be of very good quality. Mick has mentioned that they were not recorded very well. Anything pre-dating that tour is a fantasy as far as I'm concerned, unless they go with Marquee or Leeds.

Keep in mind the Brussels shows were recorded for KBFH, and that may have been fortunate for everyone.

I did have a thought that I haven't seen floated on this topic before (though I may have missed it):

There IS an official live version of Out of Control from one of the 1998 New York shows (the 17th I believe?). I'd be happy with that, or the 16th if they are going to go for some more recent stuff.

J

Date: April 18, 2012 01:16

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
I happen to love this version a lot, and so do many YT-listeners cool smiley.

I love it too, but it sure is sloppy as hell smiling smiley

Ouch, not much to love there but the memory of the studio version and the harmony vocals. Sound like they were having some tuning problems in that moist Vancouver air, or something. Mick does a noteable job holding it together, but double ouch for the mix, where's Bob Clearmountain when you need him? peace

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 18, 2012 03:38

JMARKO
I'm not sure we'll see a 72 show. And if we do, I'm betting they save it for last. But those tapes/recordings are purported to not be of very good quality. Mick has mentioned that they were not recorded very well.

- Never heard of it before. Where did he say that? And what shows was he speaking of? Philly, MSG, others, all . . ? I hope they still have some good 72 stuff hidden!

There IS an official live version of Out of Control from one of the 1998 New York shows (the 17th I believe?). I'd be happy with that, or the 16th if they are going to go for some more recent stuff.

- Yeah, I mailed about that before. The 3 MSG gigs from 98 were quite good and they recorded them. Surly among the interesting Vegas material.

J

Posted by: johang ()
Date: April 18, 2012 08:45

nothing is interesting from 80s and on, if you like to hear the same music over and over again like 81 and onwards (known as Vegas acts...) go back to 72 and its already out there with L&G, I think only Paris was recorded in SB in 70? I say Knebworth and ElMocambo is the 2 best SB recorded shows we know?, or surprice me? not including the 69 stuff or Leeds...

When are the video versions of LA or Hampton coming? Once they milk us fans to get these flac files for 9 bucks?, what a scam.., I hope MJ buys a good pint for my pennies....?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 18, 2012 09:17

johang
go back to 72 and its already out there with L&G

The problem with Ladies And Gentlemen is that the sound is blurry and not too good, and also that there are FAR better 1972 shows, from July 1972

Date: April 18, 2012 10:18

Erik_Snow
johang
go back to 72 and its already out there with L&G

The problem with Ladies And Gentlemen is that the sound is blurry and not too good, and also that there are FAR better 1972 shows, from July 1972

The audio bootleg L&G has great sound.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1548
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home