Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 33 of 37
Re: Forget the rumours, the new boot IS LA '75!
Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: April 22, 2012 18:17

Messrs. kleermaker, Doxa, and DandelionPowderman,

Though you have inelegantly hijacked the original thread and moved the focus away from L.A. 1975 to Brussels 1973, I appreciate your comments and have truly enjoyed the debate. Let me join in with a few thoughts...

I have been listening to the thrilling 1973 bootlegs (London, Brussels, etc...) for years and I was always in awe of this incarnation of the Stones. It was the tour that many Stones-connoisseurs regard as their absolute live-peak -- though I am of the mind that the more disciplined, less frenzied 1972 STP touring band was the definitive peak of the live Stones oeuvre...especially taking into account Mick Taylor's contributions, (he seems almost over-the-top in many 1973 boots, and I find his 1972 solos more fluid and integrated into the sound of the band).

When I heard the Stones were officially releasing Brussels 1973 I could not have been more excited. Yet, upon hearing it I was immediately taken aback and had to check and recheck my own speakers. Something "felt" wrong. It wasn't by the guitar mix -- though I understand what a lot of people mean when they comment that Taylor has been reeled back into the band's bosom and not featured as prominently in this mix (whether that is the "authentic" sound of the band on this tour is up to debate). It wasn't the balance of the sound either -- though it was also somehow "drier" and not as organic sounding as the boots...it wasn't even Bill Wyman's surprising prominence in the mix (a welcome factor)...no...I was stunned by the horribly pumped up and dumned-down DRUM sound.

The booming, muscular drum mix was a shock. Gone was Charlie's suppleness and nuanced swing, replaced by a sound highlighting sheer booming power and propulsion. In my opinion this drum mix has bastardized the 1973 Stones' sound and I feel this is a complete misrepresentation of Mr. Watts's art. I had to go back and check individual songs to make certain that my suspicions were not fictive. My conclusion is that my suspicions are valid.

An example (and one of many -- I will not bore you by going through every one): On the Brussels bootleg the Midnight Rambler version is transformative...one of the Stones' greatest performances ever. Charlie is sublime in his execution...listen to him around the 3 minute mark...riding the crash cymbals and the ride cymbals and then a small flourish on the hi-hat and back to the middle tom-tom and back to the hi-hat and then to the crash cymbal...magnificent! If you go to Midnight Rambler on the official version all of this is flattened and lost...the power is there but the nuance and the craft and the interplay between all the cymbals that is so present and awesome in the bootleg version is now inaudible.

I feel that the drum sound mix on the official Brussels live album is the biggest disappointment in the series...and I am surprised this hasn't been a more prominent discussion point between aficionados.

Date: April 22, 2012 22:21

kleermaker
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Re the debate concerning the mix in official BRUSSELS AFFAIR...

I need to say that I am more with Kleermaker's side here. I am perhaps so much used to listening the loud and fat, almost dominating Taylor guitar all these yaers, that now when it is clearly mixed down, I feel that some crucial feature of the magnificient 1973 live sound is lost there. Now the whole sound is somehow thinner than it used to be or lacks some important sonic dimension. And not just mixed down, Taylor's guitar by this 'seperating the guitars clearly policy' it is isolated from the rest of the band - it sounds thin and just icing the cake whereas I am used to hear it more dynamically involved in the whole sound, and like (one) constitutive part of the whole thing. I never thought that Taylor's contribution was so crucial to (especially) Brussells show, but I now more clearly understand it was. That - Taylor's strong guitar upfront - was the nature of the band at the time - as a band they relied very much to the fantastic solo guitarist they had at the time (who wouldn't?). We can have any opinions about that but to me that was one interesting incarnation of the greatest rock and roll band of the world...

Just listening "Midnight Rambler" while writing this - the problem I described is pretty much present there. Taylor's guitar is so isolated - so damn far from the rest - that the whole track doesn't have that incredible power it used to had in old bootlegs - the track just killed the listener as massive attack in every front. In official version they don't sound like one big dynamic organ any longer. Some magic is lost there.

- Doxa

There are many ways of describing this mix, but that is simply not correct, imo.

On the bootlegs, however, he is more "isolated", since his levels are much higher than the rest of the band (even during the verses), whilst now he is mixed at the same level as the rest of the band - and turned up when his solos or lead breaks kick in.

With respect, but I protest here. Maybe I couldn't spell it right or something, but I think the mix considering Taylor's guitar does not do right for the Rolling Stones sound AD 1973. The way they have mixed both guitars very clearly seperated from each other, and somehow 'dry' and 'alone', lacking the dynamism and fulnesss those had in, say, DEFINITIVE EDITION, or, in my dear old BEDSPRING SYMPHONY vinyl version, just destroys some of the magic I have attached to the Stones sound at the time. The thing that really had me once captured. Yes, I really enjoy how clear and distinct the sound is - especially it does a great favor to Wyman's incredible contribution and Jagger's vocals, but I think the whole sound is not so balanced than it used to be. It lacks the guitar-driven power. That flow. Yeah, it first pleases an ear in finally hearing everything so clearly, and especially concerning details, it is really is an educational piece of work.

But the cost of it is the lack of the original cohesiviness - the majestic FULL sound, so guitar-driven, so massive in that front... The sound of The Rolling Stones 1973 is not 'democratic' in that sense - it needs more role and power to the guitars. They actually were a guitar-driven 'hard rock' band with a screaming lead guitar next to the majestic riffage at the time when the guitars were palyed there on the stage to loudly shine. Now the guitars are mixed so far from each, both rather low and rather thin and dry. They don't use that wall of guitars mixed together 'holistically' as they did earlier. Especially lessening the role of Taylor is I think an offence to the sound of the band of the day - a bit like a biased historical reconstruction. To me the effect of the official BRUSELLS AFFAIR is a bit like the entrance of the first generation CD versions of the old vinyls - people are so fond of hearing the details so clearly and distinguishly that they don't notice the lack of dynamism in the whole sound. But everyone seems to notice the latter now.

I don't think the problem being so bad in LA FRIDAY and especially HAMPTON. Quite contrary, I think the way to mix the guitars actually applies very well to the Richards/Wood-tandem, and their relation to the rest of the band, and it is a joy to listen how they fulfill each other and trade licks, especially hearing the details so clearly. But with Richards/Taylor guitar-team work does not follow the same pattern (not even the relation of guitars to the other instruments is similar) and I think it should be treated differently in order to maximise the profits, so to say. To say it simply: they mixed the guitars of BRUSSELS the same way they are used to mix Keith and Ronnie, which is a fatal error in appreciating the uniqueness of 1973 Rolling Stones.

My point about "isolation" is that of the whole music NOT making a 'holistic wholeness' but just reduced to distinguished parts, 'atoms', that sound too thin and weak on their own. They don't work so well together any longer, and especially Taylor's 'reduced' guitar sounds almost lost and miserable, not really contributing to the over-all sound so organically as I think it supposed to do, and it did actually at the time. They don't sound such an unit as they used to do in bootlegs. Something dynamical and I think even essential is lost in the process. As the Finns say 'they don't see the whole forest from its trees'. The argument "well, does not hold water here, as it did not with the first generation CDs. It is the impression of whole sound that matters.

- Doxa

You nailed it Doxa. I only can add that the remark "now you can finally hear how they actually sounded" simply isn't true at all. On the contrary. I heard them playing live back then with my own ears and they sounded exactly as you have described. That's the reason of my disappointment: I don't recognize the band I heard in 1973 on the official Brussels while the boots (Def. Edition indeed) always gave me that boost: back in time, back to that magical evening of 13 October 1973. That majestic sound as I described on my blog isn't on the official Brussels, so it doesn't give you the opportunity of hearing how they actually sounded, because they didn't sound like that.

I can't describe the huge difference from how they sounded in May 1976. Two different bands. And as you said: it has nothing to do with being a 'taylorite' or not or with "Taylor above the band". Absolutely not true. It's like you said so clearly and well: "with Richards/Taylor guitar-team work does not follow the same pattern (not even the relation of guitars to the other instruments is similar) and I think it should be treated differently in order to maximise the profits, so to say." That's spot on.

The Stones managed 45 years without that teamwork, that´s gotta mean something, or do you dismiss that... winking smiley

BTW, I like all the Stones eras, too bad you guys don´t...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 22, 2012 23:21

DandelionPowderman
The Stones managed 45 years without that teamwork, that´s gotta mean something, or do you dismiss that... winking smiley

Sorry, here comes exremily BORING reply:grinning smiley

Hey, I wasn't saying that The Rolling Stones AD 1973 was better than some other incarnation! I was just pointing out its specific nature, which I think is not coming through as well in the mix of official BRUSSELS as I think it should. What was great in the way the band worked, say, in 1975 or 1981 was not what it was in 1973. Or in 1966. I think it is also wrong to criticize other incarnation by the base of the other. Of course one can: if one decides that the 1978-82 free going live sound (and, of course, "ancient art of weaving") is the essence of the Stones, one can 'critizise' and claim that the band should sound like that in 1969-73 as well, or failed to sound like that. Or other way round. But I rather see there two different concepts of their live sound that should not be talked within the same vocabulary but to be respect in terms of their own. To repeat myself: I just tried above to spell out the vocabulary of The Rolling Stones AD 1973. It is a different question whether I like it better or worse than some other incarnation of their live sound.

Altogether I don't think it is fair to put those 5 Taylor years against all the rest (45 years). The band has gone through many transformations (also within Taylor years), and I don't have any specific favourite among the incarnations during their first 20 years of existence. All of them are different but exciting in terms of their own. It is just after 1989 when the band decided not to evolve anymore artistically but stuck to that Breznevian stage that my interest goes down. I don't find the 'terms' of the last 20 years much to be talked about or - to use a better verb - to be excited about (but I tried pretty much to cope with them somehow). But that's me. But I respect the opinion of the people who fancy the 'Vegas' era.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-22 23:41 by Doxa.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 23, 2012 00:27

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Re the debate concerning the mix in official BRUSSELS AFFAIR...

I need to say that I am more with Kleermaker's side here. I am perhaps so much used to listening the loud and fat, almost dominating Taylor guitar all these yaers, that now when it is clearly mixed down, I feel that some crucial feature of the magnificient 1973 live sound is lost there. Now the whole sound is somehow thinner than it used to be or lacks some important sonic dimension. And not just mixed down, Taylor's guitar by this 'seperating the guitars clearly policy' it is isolated from the rest of the band - it sounds thin and just icing the cake whereas I am used to hear it more dynamically involved in the whole sound, and like (one) constitutive part of the whole thing. I never thought that Taylor's contribution was so crucial to (especially) Brussells show, but I now more clearly understand it was. That - Taylor's strong guitar upfront - was the nature of the band at the time - as a band they relied very much to the fantastic solo guitarist they had at the time (who wouldn't?). We can have any opinions about that but to me that was one interesting incarnation of the greatest rock and roll band of the world...

Just listening "Midnight Rambler" while writing this - the problem I described is pretty much present there. Taylor's guitar is so isolated - so damn far from the rest - that the whole track doesn't have that incredible power it used to had in old bootlegs - the track just killed the listener as massive attack in every front. In official version they don't sound like one big dynamic organ any longer. Some magic is lost there.

- Doxa

There are many ways of describing this mix, but that is simply not correct, imo.

On the bootlegs, however, he is more "isolated", since his levels are much higher than the rest of the band (even during the verses), whilst now he is mixed at the same level as the rest of the band - and turned up when his solos or lead breaks kick in.

With respect, but I protest here. Maybe I couldn't spell it right or something, but I think the mix considering Taylor's guitar does not do right for the Rolling Stones sound AD 1973. The way they have mixed both guitars very clearly seperated from each other, and somehow 'dry' and 'alone', lacking the dynamism and fulnesss those had in, say, DEFINITIVE EDITION, or, in my dear old BEDSPRING SYMPHONY vinyl version, just destroys some of the magic I have attached to the Stones sound at the time. The thing that really had me once captured. Yes, I really enjoy how clear and distinct the sound is - especially it does a great favor to Wyman's incredible contribution and Jagger's vocals, but I think the whole sound is not so balanced than it used to be. It lacks the guitar-driven power. That flow. Yeah, it first pleases an ear in finally hearing everything so clearly, and especially concerning details, it is really is an educational piece of work.

But the cost of it is the lack of the original cohesiviness - the majestic FULL sound, so guitar-driven, so massive in that front... The sound of The Rolling Stones 1973 is not 'democratic' in that sense - it needs more role and power to the guitars. They actually were a guitar-driven 'hard rock' band with a screaming lead guitar next to the majestic riffage at the time when the guitars were palyed there on the stage to loudly shine. Now the guitars are mixed so far from each, both rather low and rather thin and dry. They don't use that wall of guitars mixed together 'holistically' as they did earlier. Especially lessening the role of Taylor is I think an offence to the sound of the band of the day - a bit like a biased historical reconstruction. To me the effect of the official BRUSELLS AFFAIR is a bit like the entrance of the first generation CD versions of the old vinyls - people are so fond of hearing the details so clearly and distinguishly that they don't notice the lack of dynamism in the whole sound. But everyone seems to notice the latter now.

I don't think the problem being so bad in LA FRIDAY and especially HAMPTON. Quite contrary, I think the way to mix the guitars actually applies very well to the Richards/Wood-tandem, and their relation to the rest of the band, and it is a joy to listen how they fulfill each other and trade licks, especially hearing the details so clearly. But with Richards/Taylor guitar-team work does not follow the same pattern (not even the relation of guitars to the other instruments is similar) and I think it should be treated differently in order to maximise the profits, so to say. To say it simply: they mixed the guitars of BRUSSELS the same way they are used to mix Keith and Ronnie, which is a fatal error in appreciating the uniqueness of 1973 Rolling Stones.

My point about "isolation" is that of the whole music NOT making a 'holistic wholeness' but just reduced to distinguished parts, 'atoms', that sound too thin and weak on their own. They don't work so well together any longer, and especially Taylor's 'reduced' guitar sounds almost lost and miserable, not really contributing to the over-all sound so organically as I think it supposed to do, and it did actually at the time. They don't sound such an unit as they used to do in bootlegs. Something dynamical and I think even essential is lost in the process. As the Finns say 'they don't see the whole forest from its trees'. The argument "well, does not hold water here, as it did not with the first generation CDs. It is the impression of whole sound that matters.

- Doxa

You nailed it Doxa. I only can add that the remark "now you can finally hear how they actually sounded" simply isn't true at all. On the contrary. I heard them playing live back then with my own ears and they sounded exactly as you have described. That's the reason of my disappointment: I don't recognize the band I heard in 1973 on the official Brussels while the boots (Def. Edition indeed) always gave me that boost: back in time, back to that magical evening of 13 October 1973. That majestic sound as I described on my blog isn't on the official Brussels, so it doesn't give you the opportunity of hearing how they actually sounded, because they didn't sound like that.

I can't describe the huge difference from how they sounded in May 1976. Two different bands. And as you said: it has nothing to do with being a 'taylorite' or not or with "Taylor above the band". Absolutely not true. It's like you said so clearly and well: "with Richards/Taylor guitar-team work does not follow the same pattern (not even the relation of guitars to the other instruments is similar) and I think it should be treated differently in order to maximise the profits, so to say." That's spot on.

Yep I do. A common and average live band since 1975 on stage, performing some excellent songs though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-23 00:30 by kleermaker.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 23, 2012 01:37

Back to 1975

Date: April 23, 2012 10:18

Yep, back to 1975 - sorry for getting stuck in 1973...

Fingerprint File on this release is imo one of the best live tracks ever by the Stones - simply brilliant! thumbs up

Fantastic guitar work by Mick and Keith, and the excellent bass by Ronnie is so groovy and swinging!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 23, 2012 13:43

Passed the weekend blasting the latest concerts available: 73, 75, 78 and 81.

73 and 75 are not so different (a part fron 75 being a longer concert). The huge development occurred between 76 and 78, and precisely during the SG sessions. The band that came out of those Paris sessions is a completely different one (imo mainly thanks to RW).

75 is very much the final version of the 69 concept.

C

Date: April 23, 2012 13:53

liddas
75 is very much the final version of the 69 concept.

C

I agree. It is the decadent, even deconstructive incarnation of that concept, creaed in 1969, like the last efficient try to work something out of the old receipt that sounds to get dated. But the results sound not just unique but still remarkable as well sometimes, though. Even the 1973 version is already a bit over the top of the old 1969 concept, and the band hides its increasing artistic frustration with some over-playing and high-speeding (I guess everyone knows who mostgrinning smiley). But brilliant results still there.

The real re-invention took place in 1978. (As it did in 1969, and then in 1989 again.. the next will, of course, take place in 2013grinning smiley).

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-23 13:59 by Doxa.

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: April 23, 2012 15:13

Back to '75 again, I love this version of "Wild Horses". Worth the price alone! smiling smiley

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 23, 2012 17:24

Yes wild horses is cool needs more Lillie brown on wind chimes

Date: April 23, 2012 21:52

Maybe he likes Ollie´s percussion, or maybe he doesn´t...

Date: April 23, 2012 22:11

*Fingerprint File on this release is imo one of the best live tracks ever by the Stones - simply brilliant! thumbs up

Fantastic guitar work by Mick and Keith, and the excellent bass by Ronnie is so groovy and swinging!*

---

I gotta agree. Great track, and Ronnie's bass is super cool. Funky. People forget Woody used to play bass with the Jeff Beck group. I've always loved Ronnie's bass playing in that outfit, even if he was 'relegated' to bass because King Beck was 'the' guitar player.

Date: April 23, 2012 22:42

pinkfloydthebarber
*Fingerprint File on this release is imo one of the best live tracks ever by the Stones - simply brilliant! thumbs up

Fantastic guitar work by Mick and Keith, and the excellent bass by Ronnie is so groovy and swinging!*

---

I gotta agree. Great track, and Ronnie's bass is super cool. Funky. People forget Woody used to play bass with the Jeff Beck group. I've always loved Ronnie's bass playing in that outfit, even if he was 'relegated' to bass because King Beck was 'the' guitar player.

According to Ronnie, he took on the bass role in JBG by himself, without even being asked.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: April 23, 2012 22:53

well having finally got round to buying this I am more impressed than I expected,a good job done by Bob Clearwater,pretty good performance all round ,certainly better than I remember,I even enjoyed Billy Preston while driving home this evening.
The bizarre thing is why have they waited all these years to release these shows,that it would appear only needed a bit of tidying up mix wise when presumably they could have been released far earlier in their history,after all they could not have imagined a 50 year anniversary.
I'm not complaining certainly not at $9 (£5 aprox )

Date: April 23, 2012 23:12

*According to Ronnie, he took on the bass role in JBG by himself, without even being asked.*

--

could be, I don't see Beck palying 'second fiddle' though, to anybody. woody also plays almost everything (except drums) on Rod Stewart's 'Every Picture Tells a Story' which is a GREAT record

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 24, 2012 05:05

interesting 69 is brought up ... recently listening to 78 and 81 shows I noticed there's certian interplay with Bill that reminded me of the 69 tour. Maybe its the Chuck Berry ( Or Berry-Inspired) songs that have that in common.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-24 05:06 by ryanpow.

Date: April 24, 2012 09:56

ryanpow
interesting 69 is brought up ... recently listening to 78 and 81 shows I noticed there's certian interplay with Bill that reminded me of the 69 tour. Maybe its the Chuck Berry ( Or Berry-Inspired) songs that have that in common.

I think Bill got more work in 1972, and especially in 1973, when Taylor played more lead guitar. In 1969, both guitars were changing more between rhythm and lead - at least more similar to 1978 and 1981.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 24, 2012 10:29

DandelionPowderman
ryanpow

I think Bill got more work in 1972, and especially in 1973, when Taylor played more lead guitar. In 1969, both guitars were changing more between rhythm and lead - at least more similar to 1978 and 1981.

I was listening to Hang Fire and She's So cold from hampton, It struck me that Bill was really the glue that held those songs together. It reminded me of Sweet little Sixteen from '78, which called to mind Oh Carol from '69.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-24 10:30 by ryanpow.

Date: April 24, 2012 10:59

DandelionPowderman

This is a good point. The roles of Taylor and Richards were not so fixed in the beginning (1969), (and not perhaps even 1971 yet) but seemingly the Taylor's lead/solo vs. Keith's riff/rhythm guitar seperation truely was fixed in 1972, and in 1973 almost over-emphasized. This could also apply to Wyman's role. One could say that there was no clear concept in 1969 yet; the new concept - the roles very clearly fixed, the tightness of the whole group, each knowing exactly own 'space ' within the whole - devoloped during the following years, 1972/73 being the highpoint or teh result of the progression. But in 1975 the roles started to 'shake' again. Surely, the roles still pretty much based on the old 1972/73 templete, but Ronnie added something funkiness to Taylor's shoes, and Keith opened up his playing. In 1978 the old 'box' was almost exploded, including Wyman.

- Doxa

Date: April 24, 2012 11:11

Turd On The Run
Messrs. kleermaker, Doxa, and DandelionPowderman,

Though you have inelegantly hijacked the original thread and moved the focus away from L.A. 1975 to Brussels 1973, I appreciate your comments and have truly enjoyed the debate. Let me join in with a few thoughts...

I have been listening to the thrilling 1973 bootlegs (London, Brussels, etc...) for years and I was always in awe of this incarnation of the Stones. It was the tour that many Stones-connoisseurs regard as their absolute live-peak -- though I am of the mind that the more disciplined, less frenzied 1972 STP touring band was the definitive peak of the live Stones oeuvre...especially taking into account Mick Taylor's contributions, (he seems almost over-the-top in many 1973 boots, and I find his 1972 solos more fluid and integrated into the sound of the band).

When I heard the Stones were officially releasing Brussels 1973 I could not have been more excited. Yet, upon hearing it I was immediately taken aback and had to check and recheck my own speakers. Something "felt" wrong. It wasn't by the guitar mix -- though I understand what a lot of people mean when they comment that Taylor has been reeled back into the band's bosom and not featured as prominently in this mix (whether that is the "authentic" sound of the band on this tour is up to debate). It wasn't the balance of the sound either -- though it was also somehow "drier" and not as organic sounding as the boots...it wasn't even Bill Wyman's surprising prominence in the mix (a welcome factor)...no...I was stunned by the horribly pumped up and dumned-down DRUM sound.

The booming, muscular drum mix was a shock. Gone was Charlie's suppleness and nuanced swing, replaced by a sound highlighting sheer booming power and propulsion. In my opinion this drum mix has bastardized the 1973 Stones' sound and I feel this is a complete misrepresentation of Mr. Watts's art. I had to go back and check individual songs to make certain that my suspicions were not fictive. My conclusion is that my suspicions are valid.

An example (and one of many -- I will not bore you by going through every one): On the Brussels bootleg the Midnight Rambler version is transformative...one of the Stones' greatest performances ever. Charlie is sublime in his execution...listen to him around the 3 minute mark...riding the crash cymbals and the ride cymbals and then a small flourish on the hi-hat and back to the middle tom-tom and back to the hi-hat and then to the crash cymbal...magnificent! If you go to Midnight Rambler on the official version all of this is flattened and lost...the power is there but the nuance and the craft and the interplay between all the cymbals that is so present and awesome in the bootleg version is now inaudible.

I feel that the drum sound mix on the official Brussels live album is the biggest disappointment in the series...and I am surprised this hasn't been a more prominent discussion point between aficionados.

This is a wonderful contribution to our discussion, and I think something essential is hit there (besides it offers a good 'excuse' to listen the stuff agian from a new angle...). I can't say anything more yet. But I will.

- Doxa

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 24, 2012 14:17

Been listening and comparing the official Brussels release with the dozen or so well-known boots of the first Brussels and Wembley show. As said before, it really isn't a matter of volume why Taylor seems subdued. In fact, both guitars are equal in volume and are equally subdued. The main difference between the known boots and the official release is clarity in the treble frequency range. The official releases is very mid heavy, and focusses on Jagger's voice and an overly compressed drum sound. The drums are loud, but actually sound nothing like the drums we know of Charlie. His snare is always crisp and clear and high pitched, now it is a very loud mid-rangey 'poof'.

Taylor seems to be burried at times underneath a wooly sound, and both guitars miss the sparkle and power of the boot version.

Again, the boots sound like you are in the front rows of the best gig ever, while the official release sound like you are on stage without side-fill.

Concerning the quality of the tracks -Brussels 2nd isn't worse of better than Brussels first. With the boots much spice was added by the inclusion of the Wembley songs GS, Happy, Heartbreaker and SFM, and combined with the fab versions of TD, Angie and MR it seems like the best gig ever. But it is a compilation after all.

Mathijs

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: April 24, 2012 14:20

It's a shame that modern mixing and mastering styles are being utilised on the older recordings and in some cases ruining them.

I can't say I've noticed the pumped up drums in the Brussels bootlegs I've heard as I don't think I've ever had a decent bootleg recording - the best I had was a cassette tape. But I definitely noticed a pumped up drum sound in the new LA75 release - compare this with the drum sound from LYL, a huge difference. They've used heavy conmpression on the drum track.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 24, 2012 18:10

"They've used heavy compression on the drum track"

Imho they've used heavy compression on everything they could... alas! And so few people noticed... alas!

I LOVE THE STONES
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 24, 2012 19:03

dcba
they've used heavy compression on everything they could... alas! And so few people noticed... alas!

I am so happy that I am one of those who didn't notice, and don't even want to notice.
I enjoy these releases, and that's what I want to do. So you can call me stupid, or ignorant (or wahetever) for not noticing all these technical things. I really couldn't care less (BTW this is the political correct way of saying "I don't give a flying f u c k") I AM HAPPY

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Re: I LOVE THE STONES
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 24, 2012 19:07

Rolling Hansie
dcba
they've used heavy compression on everything they could... alas! And so few people noticed... alas!

I am so happy that I am one of those who didn't notice, and don't even want to notice.
I enjoy these releases, and that's what I want to do. So you can call me stupid, or ignorant (or wahetever) for not noticing all these technical things. I really couldn't care less (BTW this is the political correct way of saying "I don't give a flying f u c k") I AM HAPPY

smileys with beer

Re: I LOVE THE STONES
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 24, 2012 19:09

24FPS
smileys with beer

smileys with beer to you mate

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 24, 2012 22:29

God, Star Star on LA75 sounds just monstrous! This is how it should be, a world away from the anaemic studio version. It's just so heavy and sleazy, and the coda (with the tripleted riff) points the way very firmly to Some Girls.

Man, I love this!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 25, 2012 07:59

liddas

73 and 75 are not so different (a part fron 75 being a longer concert). The huge development occurred between 76 and 78, and precisely during the SG sessions. The band that came out of those Paris sessions is a completely different one (imo mainly thanks to RW).

C

73 and 75 not so different? I beg to, uh, differ. Although much of the personnel is the same (with the BIG exception being Wood for Taylor), the precision and power of 73 gives way to what I would call a sloppy funkiness (or a funky sloppiness). Jagger's singing (if you can call it that) is clearly an expression of how he was feeling it at the time. But his seemingly random ejaculation of guttural noises in the place of what used to be lyrics is an aquired taste. Keith is all over the map - sometimes brilliant, sometimes not. Wood is feeling his way into the mix, again with some nice results and some not so nice. They are way into the funk with Billy and Ollie. It's a place I am glad they visited, but equally glad they didn't stay for too long.

Date: April 25, 2012 10:03

71Tele
liddas

C

73 and 75 not so different? I beg to, uh, differ. Although much of the personnel is the same (with the BIG exception being Wood for Taylor), the precision and power of 73 gives way to what I would call a sloppy funkiness (or a funky sloppiness). Jagger's singing (if you can call it that) is clearly an expression of how he was feeling it at the time. But his seemingly random ejaculation of guttural noises in the place of what used to be lyrics is an aquired taste. Keith is all over the map - sometimes brilliant, sometimes not. Wood is feeling his way into the mix, again with some nice results and some not so nice. They are way into the funk with Billy and Ollie. It's a place I am glad they visited, but equally glad they didn't stay for too long.

Really nicely captured the feel of 1975 tour. And "sloppy funkiness" is a spot on term. But I still would claim that in the big picture the templete is still based on 1973 tour (and, for example, Wood lterally filling Taylor's shoes). The difference is much greater to 1978 than to 1973.

I think that extension to the 'funkiness' with Ollie and Billy onboard could be compared to the 'experimental' 1971 tour, with the added horn sections - in compared to 'raw' pure guitar concept of 1969. They kept evolving the old receipt. By contrast, in 1978 they really rethought their basics, and reinvent the whole sound, including the bulk of their set list (what kind of songs would apply to their new concept). Of course, one could say that in 1978 they went back to basics, and then 1981/82 was extension of that (like the following tours all the way to 1976 were extensions or further developmens of the basic sound of 1969).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-25 10:05 by Doxa.

Date: April 25, 2012 10:32

The "sloppy funkiness" started the minute Preston joined the touring line up.

Heartbreaker is a good example, imo. The use of clavinet etc.

However, they took it a step further in 1975, with two drummers + more synths etc.

But the overall impression is that the two tours (73 and 75) were very similar.

Many of the same songs were played as well, although the setlist was way longer in 1975.

Tele has a good point about Keith playing more freely in 1975 - that IS a difference, and a welcomed one, imo.

Without a prominent Keith-guitar, no Stones.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 33 of 37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1415
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home