Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 35 of 37
Re: Forget the rumours, the new boot IS LA '75!
Date: April 26, 2012 21:45

Mathijs
I personally find Richards a far more interesting player in '75 than in '73. In '73 he basically was sticking to rhythm guitar except for the odd solo on Starfvcker and HTW, and in that rhythm guitar playing he was less adventurous. Indeed check GS -in '73 he was just churnin out the chords. Fantastic, sure, but in '75 he really is exploring the song again by changing the patterens every few seconds, playing around the beat, trying different chord structures, and including the odd lick here and there. This is helped by his, in my opinion, far better guitar sound. That Tele though Ampeg is just utterly fantastic, aggressive and strong, while in '73 it is darker, moodier and more grunge like.

Mathijs

I think this post explains my view on this perfectly.

@ kleermaker: It´s probably a guitar player thing (regarding Keith). What I love about the Stones is the band´s ability to have TWO guitar players that sound exciting and a bit unpredictable. Keith just doesn´t move me in 1973 when he mainly is just strumming out the chords. Any Joe Blow can do that.

@ tkl7: No, he isn´t. Use your ears.

Re: I LOVE THE STONES
Date: April 26, 2012 21:47

kleermaker
stonesdan60
Rolling Hansie
stonesdan60
While I appreciate the keen ears and expertise of audiophiles, I'm so glad I'm not really one myself.

Thanks. Those were the words I was looking for smiling smiley

I just want to enjoy the music. The sound quality of the boots released is certainly of high enough quality to let me do that. I don't really care if compression changed the sound in certain ways. To me, the official boots sound way better than the illegal boots I used to have. Not complaining! It's only rock and roll...

Wow, you certainly must have very bad 1973 bootlegs! There's still a world to gain for you, as we say it here.

Please don´t pretend that the boots have higher sound quality, they don´t. The mix is another matter...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-26 21:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 27, 2012 00:48

Mathijs
I personally find Richards a far more interesting player in '75 than in '73. In '73 he basically was sticking to rhythm guitar except for the odd solo on Starfvcker and HTW, and in that rhythm guitar playing he was less adventurous. Indeed check GS -in '73 he was just churnin out the chords. Fantastic, sure, but in '75 he really is exploring the song again by changing the patterens every few seconds, playing around the beat, trying different chord structures, and including the odd lick here and there. This is helped by his, in my opinion, far better guitar sound. That Tele though Ampeg is just utterly fantastic, aggressive and strong, while in '73 it is darker, moodier and more grunge like.

Mathijs

I totally agree. Listening to Gimme Shelter from 75 through headphones, his guitar work really struck me. To me that was the beginning/birth of the Keith we would know for the next 20-off years (but sadly haven't really seen since the 90's).

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 27, 2012 08:50

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

Mathijs

@ kleermaker: It´s probably a guitar player thing (regarding Keith). What I love about the Stones is the band´s ability to have TWO guitar players that sound exciting and a bit unpredictable. Keith just doesn´t move me in 1973 when he mainly is just strumming out the chords. Any Joe Blow can do that.

DP, I'm a guitar player too, and although I respect your preference for '75, Keith is hardly just "strumming out the chords" in 1973. He is driving the band with his rhythm playing. And I certainly don't think any Joe Blow could have done it.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 27, 2012 10:51

DandelionPowderman
Any Joe Blow can do that.

eye popping smiley

- Doxa

Date: April 27, 2012 11:02

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

Mathijs

DP, I'm a guitar player too, and although I respect your preference for '75, Keith is hardly just "strumming out the chords" in 1973. He is driving the band with his rhythm playing. And I certainly don't think any Joe Blow could have done it.

So does Malcolm Young, but that doesn't make him very interesting, imo.

You said it yourself, you liked the roles they took on in 1969 the most - so do I.

I don't have a specific preference for 1975 in general. There are other elements that mess up the sound a bit, but I definitely like Keith better in 1975, when there was room for him to shine, too. That just isn't the case in 1973.

@ Doxa: Any Joe Blow can strum a chord (GS, BS, SFM etc.), but HOW you do it is another matter. That is something that Keith is especially talented at, imo.

In 1973, he limited himself to strumming, instead of riffing, playing with the rhythm, going in and out - all the stuff that contributes to making the Stones great, compared to other bands that insist on being "on" the rhythm all the time. Throughout the 70s Keith had room to explore that more - and I love the results.

This has nothing to do with Taylor's playing, as I love the band's 1969-sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-27 11:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 27, 2012 11:08

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

Mathijs

I think he was driving the band in '72 -Richards was the true driving force behind the band on the 72 tour, with a fabulous Taylor next to him inventing different solo's every night. BUt in '73 they -the guitarists- seem restrained, bored in a way. Taylor isn't as inventive as in '72 anymore. He found his way to a good solo on YCAGWY for example, and sticks to the template for most shows. Richards playing in '73 is great, but in a way he does not seem tempted to take that step further. And that's, in my opinion, exactly what he did on the '75 tour. He literally re-invented himself.

Mathijs

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 27, 2012 11:09

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

Mathijs

Got to agree with Tele here. Keith's work on Rambler 73 alone is enough to justify his reputation as one of the greatest.

On the other hand, I like the direction he took afterwards. But it is fair to say that the whole band improved, not only keith.

There is another thing that needs to be said. Keith has an incredible ability to reinvent himself as a guitarist. It's as if once he gets to the bare bones of a particular style or mood or whatever, he needs to format him self and move to completely different grounds.

And each and every time, with superb results.

In my personal experience of (amateur) guitar player every time I want to learn a new Keith part, I have the counter check of the above: if I dig in deep, say, Miss You this will not make me automatically play better an Exile take, and viceversa. To play a decent Miss You, you have to master that great style that characterized the stones sessions in the late 70s. If you want to play a decent intro to Tumblig Dice, well, you have to sit on a stool and repeat the bugger for not less than 1 million times ... At the end, what matters is THAT feel!

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-27 11:11 by liddas.

Date: April 27, 2012 11:21

liddas
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

Mathijs

Got to agree with Tele here. Keith's work on Rambler 73 alone is enough to justify his reputation as one of the greatest.

On the other hand, I like the direction he took afterwards. But it is fair to say that the whole band improved, not only keith.

There is another thing that needs to be said. Keith has an incredible ability to reinvent himself as a guitarist. It's as if once he gets to the bare bones of a particular style or mood or whatever, he needs to format him self and move to completely different grounds.

In my personal experience of (amateur) guitar player every time I want to learn a new Keith part, I have the counter check of the above: if I dig in deep, say, Miss You this will not make me automatically play better an Exile take, and viceversa. To play a decent Miss You, you have to master that great style that characterized the stones sessions in the late 70s. If you want to play a decent intro to Tumblig Dice, well, you have to sit on a stool and repeat the bugger for not less than 1 million times ... At the end, what matters is THAT feel!

C

No rules without exceptions smiling smiley

However, you won't find more than two or three moments like this one during a 1973-show. That's the problem, imo.

In 1969, and partially in 1972 and especially later on, there would be several new licks and riffs in almost every song from Keith. That's what I'm talking about.

Of course Rambler from Brussels is great, it's the best, but there should be more moments like this one - from BOTH guitar players, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-27 11:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: April 27, 2012 12:54

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
liddas
24FPS

Much as I think Ronnnie did a great job in '75, maybe the best he ever was with the Stones on stage. But no one has ever pretended that he was as good as Taylor.

At least one, yes: me!

Taylor and Wood are different musicians, but equally good. When I listen to Brussells, there is not a single moment when I think "could have been better with Ronnie" and there is nothing in LA 75 (or just any other post 75 recording) that makes me miss Taylor.

C

Agree, but I miss Keith sometimes on Brussels.

For you the band is Keith and Keith is the band. That explains all your posts and comments on the releases.

In a sense, Keith IS the Stones and vice versa. (Don't Keith's solo albums sound more Stonesy than Mick's?) In their heyday, it was Keith's guitar that defined the sound of the band. You could put on the radio, hear a new song during a part where Mick wasn't singing and you knew it was the Stones just from the sound of Keith's guitar (coupled with Charlie's drumming). One author, who's name escapes me, once wrote in a review of a Stones show in '81, (paraphrased to my best memory), "Hearing the Stones live cements the fact that the sound of the Stones live is the sound of CHORDS; those unmistakable crashing Keith chords and intros. Any licks played by the other guitarist, no matter if it's Taylor or now Wood are merely icing on the cake, and the cake is the sound is Keith Richard's guitar." Personally, I think Taylor and Wood deserve a little more credit than that but I basically agree with his comments about Keith. It was a sad day for me when I first heard the intro to Let's Spend The Night Together played on Chuck's piano rather than Keith's guitar as in '81. It was never quite the same after that...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 27, 2012 16:43

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
stonesdan60
Rolling Hansie
stonesdan60
While I appreciate the keen ears and expertise of audiophiles, I'm so glad I'm not really one myself.

Thanks. Those were the words I was looking for smiling smiley

I just want to enjoy the music. The sound quality of the boots released is certainly of high enough quality to let me do that. I don't really care if compression changed the sound in certain ways. To me, the official boots sound way better than the illegal boots I used to have. Not complaining! It's only rock and roll...

Wow, you certainly must have very bad 1973 bootlegs! There's still a world to gain for you, as we say it here.

Please don´t pretend that the boots have higher sound quality, they don´t. The mix is another matter...

I don't pretend that, I state it as a fact. Regarding the best boots of course. Both sound quality and mix are better on them than on the official Brussels, which has a sound quality that is below proper standards.

Date: April 27, 2012 16:50

The professional sound engineer states: It IS a fact. Then it must be a fact...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 27, 2012 17:32

DandelionPowderman
liddas
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs

Mathijs

C

No rules without exceptions smiling smiley

However, you won't find more than two or three moments like this one during a 1973-show. That's the problem, imo.

In 1969, and partially in 1972 and especially later on, there would be several new licks and riffs in almost every song from Keith. That's what I'm talking about.

Of course Rambler from Brussels is great, it's the best, but there should be more moments like this one - from BOTH guitar players, imo.

Just listen to the last 3 tracks of the official Brussels release if you doubt that Keith is the driving force for the live shows

Date: April 27, 2012 17:42

stonesdan60
In a sense, Keith IS the Stones and vice versa. (Don't Keith's solo albums sound more Stonesy than Mick's?) In their heyday, it was Keith's guitar that defined the sound of the band. You could put on the radio, hear a new song during a part where Mick wasn't singing and you knew it was the Stones just from the sound of Keith's guitar (coupled with Charlie's drumming)

You wouldn't believe how many times I've heard; "if it wasn't for Mick, there'd be no Rolling Stones; HE is the guy who gets everybody's attention; everybody wants to shake their asses when he's singing". And I agree every time.

You could say that I'm incorrect....just like I'm saying you are incorrect, but anyway; you are not correct with "Keith IS the Stones"

Keith was a driving force for their liveshows, soundwise as the guitarriffs are the main ingredient in Rolling Stones songs when performed live (and Rolling Stones always had Jagger low in the mix), so that's pretty obvious. They're not a "drum-band" or a "lyric/singing-band".

But when it comes to their stage PRESENCE and also when it comes to what jumps out of you when listening to a Rolling Stones RADIO hit; Jagger is the one who steals the show

Of course Richards and Jagger are just as important since they wrote the songs together; so they're obviously "equal", but any sentence about "Keith IS the Stones" is BS, IMO - especially when considering all the years (1970-1980) when Keith was out of it, and Jagger carried the band, especially OFFstage

Date: April 27, 2012 17:56

Erik_Snow
stonesdan60
In a sense, Keith IS the Stones and vice versa. (Don't Keith's solo albums sound more Stonesy than Mick's?) In their heyday, it was Keith's guitar that defined the sound of the band. You could put on the radio, hear a new song during a part where Mick wasn't singing and you knew it was the Stones just from the sound of Keith's guitar (coupled with Charlie's drumming)

You wouldn't believe how many times I've heard; "if it wasn't for Mick, there'd be no Rolling Stones; HE is the guy who gets everybody's attention; everybody wants to shake their asses when he's singing". And I agree every time.

You could say that I'm incorrect....just like I'm saying you are incorrect, but anyway; you are not correct with "Keith IS the Stones"

Keith was a driving force for their liveshows, soundwise as the guitarriffs are the main ingredient in Rolling Stones songs when performed live (and Rolling Stones always had Jagger low in the mix), so that's pretty obvious. They're not a "drum-band" or a "lyric/singing-band".

But when it comes to their stage PRESENCE and also when it comes to what jumps out of you when listening to a Rolling Stones RADIO hit; Jagger is the one who steals the show

Of course Richards and Jagger are just as important since they wrote the songs together; so they're obviously "equal", but any sentence about "Keith IS the Stones" is BS, IMO - especially when considering all the years (1970-1980) when Keith was out of it, and Jagger carried the band, especially OFFstage

When I say Keith IS the Stones, I'm speaking purely about the musical sound of the band apart from the vocals. Of course when it comes to the total package, Mick is the indispenable one. It surely wouldn't be the Stones without the sound of Mick's voice, as well as his stage prescence, charisma, etc. The Stones are definitely NOT one of those bands that could change singers and still have the balls to retain their name like Van Halen. But Mick aside, when it comes to the way the Stones sound strictly MUSICALLY, Keith could not be replaced without a huge loss to the band's signature sound. I would also say the same for Charlie Watts. True, there are some album tracks without Keith or Charlie, but in general, if Keith or Charlie died or quit, it just wouldn't sound like the Stones anymore. I would never pay to see a version of the Stones that did not include Keith or Charlie, no matter how skilled their replacements might be.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 27, 2012 17:56

kleermaker
Both sound quality and mix are better on them than on the official Brussels

OK, I really need some help here then.
For Brussels 73 I have:
Brussels Affair 1973, Chamelion Records, and The Lost Brussels, VGP.
To my ears both sound great, and I have been totally happy with them for many years. But the official release made me happier.
Are there boots that really sound better than the official release, or is it just a matter of personal taste ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: April 27, 2012 18:39

Rolling Hansie
kleermaker
Both sound quality and mix are better on them than on the official Brussels

OK, I really need some help here then.
For Brussels 73 I have:
Brussels Affair 1973, Chamelion Records, and The Lost Brussels, VGP.
To my ears both sound great, and I have been totally happy with them for many years. But the official release made me happier.
Are there boots that really sound better than the official release, or is it just a matter of personal taste ?

It's of course for a great deal a matter of taste, Hansie. And I understand that you don't care too much about sound quality etc. That's of course okay.

But I doubt if the boots you mention are the best one concerning 1973. I myself have lots of them, some great, some crappy.
A good one is "Brussels Affair, Definite Edition", which also includes the London soundboard gigs which are terrific. A boot every Stones lover should have, imo.

Date: April 27, 2012 19:15

stonesdan60
When I say Keith IS the Stones, I'm speaking purely about the musical sound of the band apart from the vocals.

Aha, OK.....I understand your point. But how could I have guessed? tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-27 19:42 by Erik_Snow.

Date: April 27, 2012 20:30

Wonderful conversation.

I'd like to comment, but I am a "bit" drunk now, so I better not...eye rolling smiley

Take care, friends.

- Doxa

Date: April 27, 2012 21:05

Listening to LA FRIDAY "MIdnight Ramlbler" - LOUD, drunk, the old lady's complaining ("turn it down!"), you name it, next the neighours I guess - but damn it sound GREAT! Da Stones!smileys with beer

- Doxa

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 27, 2012 21:32

Me drunk too!

Listening to Outta Space ... Ronnie RULES!

C

Date: April 27, 2012 21:56

Doxa
Wonderful conversation.

I'd like to comment, but I am a "bit" drunk now, so I better not...eye rolling smiley

Take care, friends.

- Doxa

Kids and drunks do speak the truth, as we say it here. So grab your chance now with both hands!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 27, 2012 22:24

kleermaker
I doubt if the boots you mention are the best one concerning 1973.
A good one is "Brussels Affair, Definite Edition", which also includes the London soundboard gigs

OK, I thought you were only referring to Brussels.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 28, 2012 00:17

What was Jagger's old address on Central Park West? I tried to find it last time I was there but I think they were doing construction on it (if it was the right one). Around 1978, 1979.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 28, 2012 00:19

tomk
What was Jagger's old address on Central Park West? I tried to find it last time I was there but I think they were doing construction on it (if it was the right one). Around 1978, 1979.

Sorry. This was supposed to go on another thread.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: April 28, 2012 09:38

the 72 tour only gives me a head ache.... 70 was so much better, maybe Paris is the next release...? but nothing can beat LA 75....

Date: April 28, 2012 21:47

stonesdan60
Erik_Snow
stonesdan60
Erik_Snow
Erik_Snow
stonesdan60
When I say Keith IS the Stones, I'm speaking purely about the musical sound of the band apart from the vocals.

Aha, OK.....I understand your point. But how could I have guessed?

And to put it more frankly; since you obviously don't understand: that was NOT your point, Dan - you are FAKING it. You'll be the next guest on Oprah show; just wait for the invite.
There; you can cry out and confess whatever you need to.

No. I understand and that WAS my point. What the hell crawled up your butt? Get off of my cloud.

So when I say "that was NOT your point", and you agree, and at the same time you are calling me names for calling you out; then I see there's no need in speaking to you anymore, Dan.

So nevermind me. I can see you are busy in "not making any sense" in debates.

I am really an "ex-member" of this board so people like you can "have it" the way that you want to. Idiot

(You're a good example of why I don't care about posting here anymore
Even when one is right; one is still crossified......sigh)

Let's clear this up politely as possible. I made a statement that you claimed was "not my point." I tried to clear up what my point was, and for doing so you accused me of "faking it," and then further denigrated me by implying that my mental health merited being made a spectacle of on the Oprah show. And you accuse ME of calling YOU names? I never called you names. Your statements offended me and I asked what crawled up your butt to make you attack and accuse me in such manner. And after falsely accusing me of calling you names, you call me an idiot. How mature of you. What psychic powers do you possess that you can crawl into my head and know what I meant when I wrote something? I know what I meant. I explained it further for clarification and I meant what I meant and there was no faking anything. Well, I won't waste anymore of my time on this. I just marvel at the way someone disagreeing with another person's post on a message board can compell them to attack and denigrate the person and somehow KNOW that the poster was faking what they wrote. All my responses to you were rather polite with the possible exception of asking what crawled up your butt. You were the first one to get nasty with false accusations and calling me an idiot. I actually feel sorry for people like you. Maybe you shouldn't participate in a message board if statements you don't agree with get you worked up to the point that you have to make false accusations and call people idiots. May the Good Lord shine a light on you.

Can I just say f*** off, here, and we'll call it even ?

Date: April 28, 2012 22:03

Erik_Snow
stonesdan60
Erik_Snow
stonesdan60
Erik_Snow
Erik_Snow
stonesdan60

And to put it more frankly; since you obviously don't understand: that was NOT your point, Dan - you are FAKING it. You'll be the next guest on Oprah show; just wait for the invite.

No. I understand and that WAS my point. What the hell crawled up your butt? Get off of my cloud.

So when I say "that was NOT your point", and you agree, and at the same time you are calling me names for calling you out; then I see there's no need in speaking to you anymore, Dan.

I am really an "ex-member" of this board so people like you can "have it" the way that you want to. Idiot

Let's clear this up politely as possible. I made a statement that you claimed was "not my point." I tried to clear up what my point was, and for doing so you accused me of "faking it," and then further denigrated me by implying that my mental health merited being made a spectacle of on the Oprah show. And you accuse ME of calling YOU names? I never called you names. Your statements offended me and I asked what crawled up your butt to make you attack and accuse me in such manner. And after falsely accusing me of calling you names, you call me an idiot. How mature of you. What psychic powers do you possess that you can crawl into my head and know what I meant when I wrote something? I know what I meant. I explained it further for clarification and I meant what I meant and there was no faking anything. Well, I won't waste anymore of my time on this. I just marvel at the way someone disagreeing with another person's post on a message board can compell them to attack and denigrate the person and somehow KNOW that the poster was faking what they wrote. All my responses to you were rather polite with the possible exception of asking what crawled up your butt. You were the first one to get nasty with false accusations and calling me an idiot. I actually feel sorry for people like you. Maybe you shouldn't participate in a message board if statements you don't agree with get you worked up to the point that you have to make false accusations and call people idiots. May the Good Lord shine a light on you.

Thank you for confirming your character and maturity. Please be assured I will graciously ignore any further posts from you and refrain from replying. I still can't fathom why our disagreement should provoke you to the point of cursing me out here. You shouldn't take it so hard. It's only rock and roll, but I've had it with you. Seems you like to fight but you can't always get what you want. Get out of my life...Don't come back. I'm sooo sick and tired / of hanging around with jerks like you...
Credits to Mick and Keith for using their lines. Bye Bye Bye...
BTW, I'm taking the high road and refraining from my initial inclination to report you for verbal harrassment. Coming to a message board for fun and encountering the likes of you is sad, sad, sad.

Date: April 28, 2012 22:05

stonesdan60
Erik_Snow
stonesdan60
Erik_Snow
stonesdan60
Erik_Snow
Erik_Snow
stonesdan60

Thank you for confirming your character and maturity. Please be assured I will graciously ignore any further posts from you and refrain from replying. I still can't fathom why our disagreement should provoke you to the point of cursing me out here. You shouldn't take it so hard. It's only rock and roll, but I've had it with you. Seems you like to fight but you can't always get what you want. Get out of my life...Don't come back. I'm sooo sick and tired / of hanging around with jerks like you...
Credits to Mick and Keith for using their lines. Bye Bye Bye...
BTW, I'm taking the high road and refraining from my initial inclination to report you for verbal harrassment. Coming to a message board for fun and encountering the likes of you is sad, sad, sad.

I didn't read *this* reply from you either, just like the last one, since I allready know you're full of crap. But since you reply, at all; I take it as a YES. Thank you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-28 22:09 by Erik_Snow.

Date: April 28, 2012 22:18

*I personally find Richards a far more interesting player in '75 than in '73.*

- that's interesting. keith was pretty potent IMO in both years. keith's guitar to me was always like the skeleton of the stones sound, and the rest from the other musicians was the flesh; with no skeleton the flesh would just fall off. for sure there was more interplay in 75, with Woody there, kind of the way the band was originally built around a two-guitar sound, the 'weaving' thing, (to me, anyway, 'weaving' means REALLY listening to each other’s sounds and responding, creating a whole different sound based on spontanaeity and impulse) and there was generally more going on around him (Ollie Brown - percussion etc) in 75 giving him more and different (than 73) stuff to hear and play off. although yeah he was originally a chuck berry acolyte richards's genius ithink is how he pretty much invented the way to blur forever the line between lead and rhythm guitar with a totally original riffing technique, and also his 5-string open tuning (with or without capo) idea which ingeniously facilitated adding the melodic notes to major chords

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 35 of 37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1446
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home