Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 37
Re: LA Friday 1975 MUCH better than Brussels 1973!
Posted by: GrandToad ()
Date: April 5, 2012 03:01

marko
Mathijs
I think each and every track is better from LA, and the vibe is so much better as well. And the sound -really the guitars have never sounded any better than on this tour!

Mathijs

Big thanks to Ambeg amps!

As I was driving home with L.A. Friday blasting on my car stereo, that was exactly what came to mind "Ampeg amps!" The overdriven guitar sound is so good on this set.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 5, 2012 03:26

MT overrated? Underrated , yes. Over rated These days,. He isn't the same as he once was, but during his Bluesbreaker and Stones days, he was MAGNIFICENT.

Posted by: Laughingsam ()
Date: April 5, 2012 03:39

Mathijs

DandelionPowderman

audun-eg

Mathijs

Laughingsam

msw2525
Laughingsam
Mick Taylor isn't overrated. But let's shift the conversation here -- Keith Richards is overrated. Ask any non-stones fan who Mick Taylor is and you draw a blank stare. Yet Keith turns up on all those obnoxious "Greatest Guitarists" lists and often in the top 10. It's a joke. He's a fantastic song writer and a competent guitarist (in his prime), his persona probably has more to do with his high ranking than his guitar playing prowess.

Carlos Santana is overrated. Jimmy Page is overrated. Mick Taylor? He sits alongside people like Roy Buchanan as someone who (despite loads of talent) slips through the cracks when it comes to discussing the "all-time greats"

There is a reason why everyone knows keith and not mick taylor aside from real stones fans and its very very simple, keith richards is the driving force behind the stones music. This is exactly why he is in all those top guitarist list. Not even close to the most technically skilled players but creativity, and originality go an awful long way. The rhythm playing and riffs from him is what sets him apart and gives him a place amongst all those other great players, and more importantly is what people instantly recognize about the stones, not the solo from time waits for no one.

Fair enough. I did say he was a superb song writer. As far as riffs go, he's brilliant but I still consider him overrated. Heck a lot of non-Stones fans think he played the solo in "Time Waits..."

I really don't know what overratted means. Rated by whhom? These useless top 10 lists in guitar magazines with fantastic technical players whom you actually can't listen too?

Keiths playing on LA 75 is quite a revelation to me. He plays far better than I had anticipated. Take Gimme Shelter -a song with only 3 chords, yet Richards throws in something new every 5 seconds. Same with IORR, which is basically two chords in open G, but still he manages to completely rewrite the book on open G riffing.

Sure, Richards is not a Joe Satriani. BUt listen to Satriani playing Stones songs with Jagger in '88....now that's pretty awful.

Mathijs
I didn't say he sucked or anything. And I agree with you -- his playing on this LA Friday release far exceeds what I normally expect.

Back to the original subject of this thread: This LA Friday release definitely rivals Brussels. It's such a great choice too, the fact we're able to listen to a clean sbd after all these years and discover how potent the teaming of Richards & Wood were in their inaugural tour is surreal. This is everything an archival release should be and I do hope they put out more like this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-05 03:40 by Laughingsam.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 5, 2012 04:13

Mathijs
I find Preston's organ and piano fantastic, but his synth is very, well, 70's. And loud. Very loud.

Mathijs

I concur.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: April 5, 2012 13:12

Ah ballz! The bloody site's down for maintenance so I can't download it..I have to learn some patience now...(Not referring to GnR)..

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 5, 2012 14:42

I really prefer LA, but also like Brussels very much.
I love both albums
Keep the releases coming !!!!!!!!!!!!!
jeroen

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: April 5, 2012 15:49

Mathijs
I find Preston's organ and piano fantastic, but his synth is very, well, 70's. And loud. Very loud.

Mathijs

I actually love the Billy Preston parts too

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 5, 2012 16:04

ok..let's compare.
Jagger is better on Brussels
Keith is better on Brussels
Mick Taylor is close to perfection on Brussels and it much better technically than Wood.
Charlie/Bill are great as always on both.

i think some comments are simply just an over-reaction.

the fact that the band had more Preston & more percussion etc.. on the 1975 tour makes this recording perhaps more fuller...and the mix does seem better than Brussels.

have a think about it.
The audience recording of the same show - which is excelent and not much different to this recording and been around for years - has never been put up there with Brussels...i think its an over-reaction due to starvation of classic gems, plus the nice mix.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 5, 2012 16:48

Eleanor Rigby
ok..let's compare.
Mick Taylor is close to perfection on Brussels and it much better technically than Wood.

the fact that the band had more Preston & more percussion etc.. on the 1975 tour makes this recording perhaps more fuller...and the mix does seem better than Brussels.

have a think about it.
The audience recording of the same show - which is excelent and not much different to this recording and been around for years - has never been put up there with Brussels...i think its an over-reaction due to starvation of classic gems, plus the nice mix.

It's not just each members contribution, technically; one-by-one,
it's the overall wibe, both of their "playing together" and the mood they create on that exact tour, and that exact show.....obviously it's not a "contest"; but "people making music"

Brussels has always been more "famous" than LA 1975, that's true, but I know several people on this board - with good knowledge about ROIO recordings who prefer even the audience rec of LA 1975 over Brussels

And TOTA 1975 has been my favourite tour the last 12 years, and the tour I've spent the most time listening to of any RS tour.....such an unique and crazy wibe over these 1975 shows; like music coming from a different world. NEVER to be repeated in their later tours; and never to have been done like that in earlier years either

So i can't say I agree much many of your points, there....at all.

As I'm on vacation, I haven't gotten to download the FLAC files of LA yet; so I can't give my vote to the "Brussels vs LA" voting - then again I don't care much for voting anyway. But all in all - I'd take 1975 over just about anything.....meanwhile I do agree that their *best* tour ever would have to be 1972. "Favourite" and "best" ain't always the same thing.

Date: April 5, 2012 16:55

Erik_Snow
Eleanor Rigby
ok..let's compare.

have a think about it.

It's not just each members contribution, technically; one-by-one,
it's the overall wibe, both of their "playing together" and the mood they create on that exact tour, and that exact show.....obviously it's not a "contest"; but "people making music"

Brussels has always been more "famous" than LA 1975, that's true, but I know several people on this board - with good knowledge about ROIO recordings who prefer even the audience rec of LA 1975 over Brussels

And TOTA 1975 has been my favourite tour the last 12 years, and the tour I've spent the most time listening to of any RS tour.....such an unique and crazy wibe over these 1975 shows; like music coming from a different world. NEVER to be repeated in their later tours; and never to have been done like that in earlier years either

So i can't say I agree much many of your points, there....at all.

As I'm on vacation, I haven't gotten to download the FLAC files of LA yet; so I can't give my vote to the "Brussels vs LA" voting - then again I don't care much for voting anyway. But all in all - I'd take 1975 over just about anything.....meanwhile I do agree that their *best* tour ever would have to be 1972. "Favourite" and "best" ain't always the same thing.

well your views are biased, and of course you will not agree on many of my points, it's basically it's up to the person to make their own opinion so we can't really argue.

all i am getting at is that most fans on this board have always said Brussels was better than LA '75...and now people are changing their minds based on a new bootleg release...which I think it the sign of the times..i.e. people desperate for the vaults.

Date: April 5, 2012 17:01

Eleanor Rigby
ok..let's compare.

have a think about it.

Why on Earth are Keith better on Brussels??? First time I´ve heard that...

Keith is doing Taylor´s dirty work on Brussels, he doesn´t shine like on Fingerprint File and SFTD, imo.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 5, 2012 17:05

Eleanor Rigby
all i am getting at is that most fans on this board have always said Brussels was better than LA '75...and now people are changing their minds based on a new bootleg release...which I think it the sign of the times..i.e. people desperate for the vaults.

No disrespect, but I think you missed my points

'Cos I think the fact that "most people" have always preferred Brussels over in LA is simply because a lot more people have heard Brussels; and also because Brussels has always been available in perfect quality. Most people are interested in the so called "soundboard recordings", and don't care for "audience recordings". Only SOME of us do.

IOW; if we have had LA 1975 in the same quality as of now, ever since 1975 (like Brussels have); then maybe LA would have been preferred by "the common guy" over Brussels, for 37 years. So your point about "them playing better in 1973" really don't hold up, as there's so many other factors mattering in what makes the band sound good together - and also; the material they have, and the mood they create.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-05 17:14 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: April 5, 2012 17:15

Erik_Snow
Eleanor Rigby

...And TOTA 1975 has been my favourite tour the last 12 years, and the tour I've spent the most time listening to of any RS tour.....such an unique and crazy wibe over these 1975 shows; like music coming from a different world. NEVER to be repeated in their later tours; and never to have been done like that in earlier years either...

Yeah, this boot makes me really regret that I didn't get to see the Stones in '75 as I was too young. And even though I am still somewhat fond of the Stones in later days, I have to admit that Wood plays with a fire and brilliance on his first tour - as well as to a slightly lesser degree in '78 and '81 - that he would sadly lose in later years. Keith is on fire and Bill and Charlie play like men possesed. Listening to this makes me realize how much the Stones lost when Bill sadly called it quits. God, I miss him! The hot interplay between Keef and Ronnie is the TRUE "weaving" that Keith talks about but hasn't happened so much in later years. Great stuff!

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 5, 2012 17:15

I think many of us currently prefer to listen to this fantastic LA 75 release, simply because we a bit over-exposed to Brussels (the old bootleg that is). So even when having the "new" Brussels with many new tracks from the second show, it's not as new an experience as having a '75 show in such stunning quality. I mean, every other 75 "soundboard" recording we had before was clearly inferior even to Millard's excellent audience recordings.

But I'm quite sure that after getting used to this new source many of us will calm down a bit and return to praising the old classics again - Brussels Affair, Philadelphia '72 etc. Even Erik who is one of the strongest TOTA supporters admits that the perfect Stones tour would have to be STP. But in a way it's not the connoisseur's choice, because it's simply not "left field" enough. Still, I'd be curious what would happen if they'd release "Keep Your Motor Runnin'" next (won't happen I know, because it's a comp, but that would be the "perfect" Stones live recording IMO).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-05 17:23 by Greenblues.

Date: April 5, 2012 17:18

Erik_Snow
Eleanor Rigby

'Cos I think the fact that "most people" have always preferred Brussels over in LA is simply because a lot more people have heard Brussels; and also because Brussels has always been available in perfect quality. Most people are interested in the so called "soundboard recordings", and don't care for "audience recordings". Only SOME of us do.

IOW; if we have had LA 1975 in the same quality as of now, ever since 1975 (like Brussels have); then maybe LA would have been preferred by "the common guy" over Brussels, for 37 years. So your point about "them playing better in 1973" really don't hold up, as there's so many other factors mattering in what makes the band sound good together - and also; the material they have, and the mood they create.

i dont agree with your comments about Brussels.
People liked Brussels because it is amazing, and a great show.
Every band member is at their peak.

Now if you listen more closely to LA 1975 there's plenty of sloppiness in the band's playing...you obviously like that type of performance from the band ?
The mix is very good (better than Brussels)..and perhaps people are simply amazed at finally getting this show mixed so well that they are over-reacting to the performance (see my first post).

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: April 5, 2012 17:31

MJ sounds so much better on Brussels
The GHS songs are better than the IORR songs

Date: April 5, 2012 17:31

Eleanor Rigby
Erik_Snow
Eleanor Rigby

Now if you listen more closely to LA 1975 there's plenty of sloppiness in the band's playing...you obviously like that type of performance from the band ?
The mix is very good (better than Brussels)..and perhaps people are simply amazed at finally getting this show mixed so well that they are over-reacting to the performance (see my first post).

Keith was not at his peak in 1973, he became a noticable better guitar player during the 70s, and LA Friday proves that easily.

Keith is also a very important factor to how a Stones show sounds.

Date: April 5, 2012 17:35

keith was better? have you heard Happy fom LA yet ?

yes, Jagger's vocals way better in 1973...

Date: April 5, 2012 17:42

Eleanor Rigby

Come on! You can do better than that. If you judge how good a show is by the number of mistakes, you shouldn´t like the Stones in the first place smiling smiley

The two lines where he was singing off in Happy could have happen because of numerous reasons: Bad monitoring, a busted string etc.

Besides, he plays just as good on Happy as he does on Brussels.

However, tell me where on Brussels he plays better than he does on Fingerprint File on LA Friday...

Another reason LA Friday surpasses Brussels is imo the setlist. Not only is it more interesting, but also considerable longer, hence you get much more music to enjoy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-05 17:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 5, 2012 17:54

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby

Come on! You can do better than that. If you judge how good a show is by the number of mistakes, you shouldn´t like the Stones in the first place smiling smiley

The two lines where he was singing off in Happy could have happen because of numerous reasons: Bad monitoring, a busted string etc.

Besides, he plays just as good on Happy as he does on Brussels.

However, tell me where on Brussels he plays better than he does on Fingerprint File on LA Friday...

Another reason LA Friday surpasses Brussels is imo the setlist. Not only is it more interesting, but also considerable longer, hence you get much more music to enjoy!

Yes, the Stones are without any doubt the number 1 of "unforced errors".

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 5, 2012 18:39

Your not allowed to dislike Brussels 73 because the Taylor era the best era and Taylor was the best guitarist they ever had. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 5, 2012 18:49

This is how I rate Keith's guitar playing:
- His creative peak was 1968-69 when he was discovering open tunings and did some of his most amazing stuff, like Street Fighting Man, SFTD, Honky Tonk Women, Monkey Man, etc. He still hasn't topped many of these masterpieces of recordings and live performances (1969-70).
- He perfected the open G style on Sticky Fingers and Exile
- By 1973 he played fine but a little too much plain rhythm guitar and lazy auto pilot while Taylor did the leads. That's why, I think, some people think he was better in '75.
- By 1975 he was not a better guitarist (and not more sober either, for that matter) but his playing was more varied, a bit more lead, and more trading licks with Ronnie.
- 1978-81 was another creative peak, but mostly based on what he invented around '69.

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: April 5, 2012 18:50

Sorry, I don't think the band sound as good as they did on Brussels.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 5, 2012 19:13

His Majesty
Your not allowed to dislike Brussels 73 because the Taylor era the best era and Taylor was the best guitarist they ever had. eye rolling smiley

You are "allowed" to like or not like anything at all, but you are perfectly correct about the Taylor era. smoking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 5, 2012 19:22

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 5, 2012 19:52

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
Erik_Snow
Eleanor Rigby

Keith was not at his peak in 1973, he became a noticable better guitar player during the 70s, and LA Friday proves that easily.

Keith is also a very important factor to how a Stones show sounds.

Well, I guess everyone here agrees wholeheartedly with that last sentence of DP.

I also think everyone agrees with Eleanor that LA Friday has a much better mix and sound quality than Brussels, which is an important factor to how a Stones show sounds as well.

That said, I also think everyone is entitled to his/her own preference and enthusiasm. Nothing wrong with that, so no need to convince others or to 'prove' someone is right or wrong. That leaves the question why someone has his/her preference. Here's my extremely humble opinion.

It won't surprise anyone that I prefer Brussels to LA and LA to Hampton, just like I preferred Rotterdam 73 to The Hague 76 and The Hague 76 to Rotterdam 82.

Three different bands, Bill and Charlie being the constant factor. As for Jagger, his singing on LA is indeed artificial and campy, but it doesn't bother me that much. On Hampton his barking is more annoying to me, but I can live with it.

Then Keith. In 73 he was, just like in 72, in his comfort zone, being responsible for the riffs. He confirmed that in the LA Friday-promo interview.

So in 73 he also did what he was best at: keeping the rhythm going, providing those great riffs and adding, though in a lesser degree, to the melody as well. Meanwhile his interplay with Taylor was obvious, interesting and at times exciting (listen to the counterpoint on GS and the interplay on MR).

On LA Keith's range is broader, but also weaker, because he's playing less controlled and focused, having left his comfort zone. But it's not a main obstacle.

The biggest difference is Ronnie. He's really trying to fill Taylor's shoes adequately, soloing even more than Taylor ever did (for example on YCAGWYW and JJF), but he's got no clue. His solos are clueless and clumsy, missing head and tail. That doesn't make them surprising, but rather annoying and boring. They don't add anything special to the songs. That has to do with creativity and musicality and 'feeling the song'. He sounds disconnected and when you would listen to his solos separately, it would not be easy for non-trained ears to tell to which song they belong. Some people call that raunchy, sloppy and very rock & roll. I call it lack of musicianship in that department. Some people dismiss Taylor because of his "endless noodling". I don't agree with the 'endless noodling' or 'guitar god' myth at all, but even if he did and was, he always stayed connected with the song, sometimes even producing the essence of it. At least his solos were always consistent and creative. They tell us a story where Ronnie seems to mix up many words without saying anything coherent. Notice how many times Ronnie produces repeated squeaking sounds, as if he's stuttering, unable to say anything meaningful but desperately trying to. That adds to feelings of sympathy for him, but not to the musical quality.

On Hampton Keith's and Ronnie's roles are different. Ronnie isn't the main lead guitarist anymore, the so called weaving has entered the scene, Keith and Ronnie "trading licks back and forth". But in reality Keith is playing the main role and the showing, smoking and posing on stage increase. Besides one can hear the stadium rock in its full glory, which results in more distance and less intimacy.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 5, 2012 20:49

Mick's goofiness makes it very, very difficult to listen to LA Friday with any degree of seriousness. He's being a clown here. WAY MORE so than any '76 stuff I've heard.

At the same time, in a different mood, that might make me love it more, hahaha!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 5, 2012 20:58

The biggest difference is Ronnie. He's really trying to fill Taylor's shoes adequately, soloing even more than Taylor ever did (for example on YCAGWYW and JJF), but he's got no clue. His solos are clueless and clumsy, missing head and tail. That doesn't make them surprising, but rather annoying and boring. They don't add anything special to the songs. That has to do with creativity and musicality and 'feeling the song'. He sounds disconnected and when you would listen to his solos separately, it would not be easy for non-trained ears to tell to which song they belong. Some people call that raunchy, sloppy and very rock & roll. I call it lack of musicianship in that department. Some people dismiss Taylor because of his "endless noodling". I don't agree with the 'endless noodling' or 'guitar god' myth at all, but even if he did and was, he always stayed connected with the song, sometimes even producing the essence of it. At least his solos were always consistent and creative. They tell us a story where Ronnie seems to mix up many words without saying anything coherent. Notice how many times Ronnie produces repeated squeaking sounds, as if he's stuttering, unable to say anything meaningful but desperately trying to. That adds to feelings of sympathy for him, but not to the musical quality.

Yes! Exactly! And those were my very thoughts while I was in the audience for one of the LA shows!

People who prefer Taylor are always being accused of glorifying virtuoso lead guitar playing, but that's not it at all. I personally love Keith and dislike most of the so-called guitar Gods like beck and Clapton. There is a difference between "ragged and right", "rock 'n' roll" and incoherent, which is what Wood often sounded like to my ears. He was trying to step into Taylor's shoes and not measuring up. Things improved in '78 when the band incorporated Wood's style of playing into their newer material - that is until the "Vegas" era where they were relying more on older hits.

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: April 5, 2012 21:48

brussels, Hampton, L.A Forum , Taylor... wood ...!!! in fact what a band in this decade ... my Stones

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 5, 2012 21:57

71Tele
He was trying to step into Taylor's shoes and not measuring up. Things improved in '78 when the band incorporated Wood's style of playing into their newer material - that is until the "Vegas" era where they were relying more on older hits.

Agreed. That's why I prefer Texas '78 and Hampton '81 to the LA '75 album. But I love 'em all. Now just hoping for more Taylor or a good Brian show.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1141
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home