Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 37
Re: Forget the rumours, the new boot IS LA '75!
Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: April 6, 2012 16:34

hbwriter
Doxa
Yeah,.. what can I say... With BRUSSELS AFFAIR and HAMPTON '81 - and we could say SOME GIRLS LIVE LIVE 1978 belongs to it as well - they started a series that is strongest set of recorded rock concerts the world ever have seen.. and LA FORUM surely doesn't let us down either. Musically speaking we live at the moment the greatest period since VERY old days... we are in a very privileged position: comparing the peaks with the other peaks... For me picking up the 'favourite' is a matter of the day, and its changes daily. The fame of BRUSSELS and its peak position is something taken for granted, but then: hearing it mixed new way, and having not yet heard performances gave it a new life. But then SOME GIRLS LIVE IN 1978 just exploded the whole scene, and I was sure that 1978 was the absolute peak of not only Woodie but of all yaers... But then HAMPTON made me to rethink that judgemnet - and now LA FORUM seriosly again... Of course, NOW it feels that LA FORUM, and teh band of 1975 - is the "best Stones ever"...

best damn post in years by anyone, hands down - sheer eloquence, heart, soul and love- brilliant - thank you

There is something so unique in each tour in the sense that it had so strong individual features which none else does.. So the possibility to have a 'new'concert in every second months or so gives a nice time to 'taste' and think and grasp and enjoy and reflect its wonderful features, which also offers such a great to celebrate the greatness of this incredible band. I don't even try to be objective about LA FORUM yet. I just... enjoy loving it - every little detail in it; all those sloppy mo,ents, screw ups, Jagger's lost persona, the funky decadence,... just perfect! Those guys define rock and roll (to not forget "sex" and "drugs" either...)

Wow - what an indredible year to be a Rolling Stones fan...

- Doxa

The Stones are one of those rare bands where each tour has it's own unique vibe, sound, and look. Generally, I can look at a photo and instantly know which tour it's from...or hear a boot and know which tour it's from. With many bands, a tour is just another tour.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 6, 2012 16:37

stonesdan60
The Stones are one of those rare bands where each tour has it's own unique vibe, sound, and look. Generally, I can look at a photo and instantly know which tour it's from...or hear a boot and know which tour it's from. With many bands, a tour is just another tour.

Yes RS tours from the 60s/70s/early 80s are all unique
But really....can you hear the difference between JJF performed in 1989/1990/1994/1995/1997/1998/1999/2002/2003/2005/2006/2007 ? Not me. It's all the same "act", no "band-personality" shines through.

Date: April 6, 2012 16:54

Erik_Snow
stonesdan60

But really....can you hear the difference between JJF performed in 1989/1990/1994/1995/1997/1998/1999/2002/2003/2005/2006/2007 ? Not me. It's all the same "act", no "band-personality" shines through.

Valid point. The latter day tours featured very similar arrangements of a lot of songs, but still the tours themselves each had their own vibe to an extent.

Date: April 6, 2012 16:57

stonesdan60
Erik_Snow
stonesdan60

Valid point. The latter day tours featured very similar arrangements of a lot of songs, but still the tours themselves each had their own vibe to an extent.

You mean stage design, clothing and merchandise available for sale? Yes, I agree to that.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 6, 2012 17:12

Erik_Snow
stonesdan60
Erik_Snow
stonesdan60

You mean stage design, clothing and merchandise available for sale? Yes, I agree to that.

Right on the mark, Erik, right on the mark!

But, a bit more seriously, I think it shows that since 1989, the band does not evolve anymore. Everything's fixed.

Date: April 6, 2012 17:14

alimente
But, a bit more seriously, I think it shows that since 1989, the band does not evolve anymore. Everything's fixed.

You're right on the mark yourself, alimente

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-06 17:17 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: April 6, 2012 17:58

I think they even use the same sample at the beginning of sympathy as in 1989 !

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: April 6, 2012 19:38

Am I the only one who really don't like the sound/mix of this release? Everything sounds so loud, lifeless, compressend and WAY to modern...it's a 1975 concert recorded on ANALOGUE 16-track multi's, where's the analogue sound?

Same goes for ladies & gentlemen; recorded on 32!-track multi's. The sound really sucked. They said remixed & remastered. Only thing they did is remaster the movie soundtrack, nothing is remixed from the multi's.

Listen to Ya Ya's, beautiful mixed and a big Fat sound on the instruments (Sure I know it's overdubbed)It's the only Stones live album from the old days that's perfect. The extra tracks on the deluxe edition also sound excellent and are NEWLY mixed! So...

Maybe I expected to much, but in my opinion a 1975 concert shouldn't sound like 2012.

Date: April 6, 2012 19:46

kevinkamphuis
Listen to Ya Ya's, beautiful mixed and a big Fat sound on the instruments (Sure I know it's overdubbed)

No it's not overdubbed. Only the vocals are overdubbed on GYYYO (only exception being one guitar on Carol or something)

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 6, 2012 20:11

kevinkamphuis
Am I the only one who really don't like the sound/mix of this release? Everything sounds so loud, lifeless, compressend and WAY to modern...it's a 1975 concert recorded on ANALOGUE 16-track multi's, where's the analogue sound?

Same goes for ladies & gentlemen; recorded on 32!-track multi's. The sound really sucked. They said remixed & remastered. Only thing they did is remaster the movie soundtrack, nothing is remixed from the multi's.

Listen to Ya Ya's, beautiful mixed and a big Fat sound on the instruments (Sure I know it's overdubbed)It's the only Stones live album from the old days that's perfect. The extra tracks on the deluxe edition also sound excellent and are NEWLY mixed! So...

Maybe I expected to much, but in my opinion a 1975 concert shouldn't sound like 2012.

Kevin I agree with you on the sound. Just listen to the new Ronnie Wood song posted today. Great sound (for now only mp3)

L.A. Friday...I deleted the 2 Billy Preston cuts...
Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 4, 2012 00:06

...I'd just skip over them anyways...

Re: L.A. Friday...I deleted the 2 Billy Preston cuts...
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 4, 2012 00:09

great thread! eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 4, 2012 00:27

That's Life is a great song, with fantastic guitar by Wood!

Mathijs

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 4, 2012 00:43

They're part of the fun. My preference goes to Outta Space though. Cool to hear the Stones playing something that funky.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: April 4, 2012 00:50

If you don't want to listen to them, I understand, but why delete them? Do you delete songs you don't like on every album? If you're so strapped for space on your computer that you need to delete those two songs it might be time to invest in an external hard drive or something.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 4, 2012 00:54

Your missing out on some good stuff - I was listening to Fingerprint File on LA 75, and the two Billy tracks. For a minute I thought it was Herbie Hancock and The Headhunters, it was that damn funky.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: April 4, 2012 01:20

palerider22
...I'd just skip over them anyways...

Good idea.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: April 4, 2012 01:26

i delete any tom petty trash from any of the '86 dylan and the heartbreakers shows cause dylan is not on stage and petty blows... but billy stays of course, the stones are still playing and the songs are cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-04 01:28 by Slick.

Posted by: pinksuit ()
Date: April 4, 2012 01:37

If I remember correctly, that's Ollie Brown on drums and Charlie went back to the percussion set. That's why it is funky all of a sudden.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 4, 2012 01:39

Keep us posted on further updates.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 4, 2012 02:49

NoCode0680
If you don't want to listen to them, I understand, but why delete them?

I was just having some fun with the post. Honestly...I converted the FLAC to WAV files to make a double CD. The only way to get the Band Intro at the end of Disc 1 and have IORR start Disc 2 was to take out Billy. They wouldn't fit otherwise.
(I didn't actually delete the Billy FLAC files). If someone has figured out a better edit to burn 2CD's...I'll put Billy back...promise!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 4, 2012 02:59

No way, Billy's songs stay.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-04 03:22 by ryanpow.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 4, 2012 03:24

it fit into the show,billy was great.years later i can see how people wouldnt really dig it but,and i hate to say it .....you had to be there.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: April 4, 2012 03:58

I deleted them quite by accident. When I downloaded the set into iTunes and then built the playlists to burn the discs, the two songs weren't there -- must be filed differently.

Can't say I missed them...

T@3

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: April 4, 2012 10:28

I deleted the Stones songs and just kept the Preston songs. Totally different show all at once!

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: April 4, 2012 10:30

TeaAtThree
I deleted them quite by accident. When I downloaded the set into iTunes and then built the playlists to burn the discs, the two songs weren't there -- must be filed differently.

Can't say I missed them...

T@3

Yes, they are listed as Billy Preston & The Rolling Stones, i believe. It's in the tags of the 2 songs.

Date: April 4, 2012 10:31

The Preston songs are cool but it always surprised me that they let him do them. It's usually a rule with the Stones that nobody in the band, especially hired hands - get to play their solo material.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 4, 2012 10:54

I deleted the Stones songs and just kept the Preston songs. Totally different show all at once!

.....Heck man that's a brave step....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 4, 2012 11:00

Outta Space is funk beyond this world - fantastic stuff! What's not to like? Fantastic songs, and the band is hot, hot, hot thumbs up

Posted by: witterings ()
Date: April 4, 2012 11:24

The Live- Versions of Billy Preston Songs, e.g. Nothing from Nothing, Outta Space, That's Life, performed by Billy with the Stones, are lightyears better, than the original studio recordings!

(But I don't know why???winking smiley)

It`s nice to be here, .....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 37

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home