Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 36
Re: Mick Jagger to perform at The White House Feb 21
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 23, 2012 09:57

Just watched Commit a crime!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fan f....tastic!!!!!!!!
Great stuff rom Jeff Beck, and Jaggerrr ofcourse.
Great !!!
jeroen

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: February 23, 2012 10:07

I was able to watch the sequences last night and though Mick Jagger lost his breath it was just great to watch him again.
Despite other oppinions I think "Miss You" got the bluesy touch which was needed to perform it for this occassion. I loved it. I was surprised that Mick still hit the high notes and that at an age where many of us can't barely hold a tune while speaking.
To me it was a kind of relief to see that he had fun to play with. I also liked it when he was telling memories about old times. Normally such memories tent to be a nostalgia, but it was a respect to the men and women from the blues of the old days.
Mick might not be ready for a tour, but he is always welcome with a band in my back door room.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 23, 2012 10:20

I too was taken back by Micks heavy breathing. Maybe he just hasn't been hitting the gym as hard lately, but will be ok by tour time? Anyhow, I loved his whole performance and was really impressed by Jeff Beck, plus he was very high in the mix. Just the way I like to hear guitars. Plus I like that he did Miss You, seemed to pick up the mood and pace a little bit in my opinion.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: February 23, 2012 10:57

I have done quite a bit of training for endurance sports since very young.
The first minutes have that effect. Once you get into a rhythm you find
your breath, your pace...Mick is ready. Just don't open next tour with with Rip this joint.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 23, 2012 10:59

Just don't open next tour with with Rip this joint.

................... Okay then...what about She Said Yeah.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 11:07

yes, i was surprised for his heavy breathe, but he is still great.
he should move a little less, springsteen and mccartney play 3 hours but they don't act like him.
i mean , stones could stil play around 2 hours, mick must only slow down alittle bit , maybe he doesn't need a big stage if he doesn't run anymore , but he is still n° 1 performer.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 23, 2012 12:34

Got a chance finally to watch it. Not surprsingly it was not a disapponmentgrinning smiley

With "Can't Turn You Loose" Jagger continued from where he left us in Grammys last year. Yeah, funny to see him so nervous. He went not just out of breathe but but of energy even during the song, and he needed to lower his register in last part to survive. So human! But from the base of the opener I was afraid that we are going to see another soulless Peter Pan show that has only the point: "look how much energy I have, how good shape physically I am".

But fortunately he left that role almost altogether and concentrated on music thereafter. Damn it was great to hear him singing blues with a competent guitar player! No damn stupid posing, just delivering the goods: "Commit A Crime" was simply phenomenal.

Then "Miss You". I thought "on no that again" but damn Mick proved me wrong. Really wonderful version of the song, and it fitted surprisingly well to the theme of the evening. Jagger actually put much effort on his singing. Yeah, his voice is rather thin these days, but damn he uses it might fine if he really wants to. It was wonderful to realize - once again - that that Jagger guy is actually a great singer. The harmonica part is actually one of the greatest instrument contributions he has ever done. Surprisingly musical and soulful.

"Five Long Years" was a great extra. Jagger sounded relaxed and confident by then. I guess knowing his perfectionism it must have been a thrill to share the stage with musicians who are are actually playing music and not jut posing and enjoying the limelight. Also Buddy Guy sounded seemngly less lost than he did in SHINE A LIGHT.

I also liked Jagger's talks. He has a class and sense of realism, and like always, a great deal of self-irony.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 12:38 by Doxa.

Date: February 23, 2012 13:12

Mick was great, but he lost it in the middle section on Miss You, too. At least the timing and the lyrics grinning smiley

Nice touch with the harp, although it would have been perfect if he stayed in minor throughout.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 23, 2012 13:44

It hasn't been mentioned on this thread, so I will be the first....
but in addition to that it's very understandable that Jagger was nervous about this event;
I really am glad I wasn't in Obama's shoes either! Imagine having a genuine interest in music; and Rolling Stones, and have to sit in frontrow, knowing that all cameras are directed at "the president of USA". He can't let himself "go" or make expressions that makes it obvious that he's digging it; that he's starstruck, that he's freaking out or anything. He just have to pretend he's some kind of...."understanding priest".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 13:56 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 23, 2012 13:47

For the record, I am not for PRO Censorship, DEWLOVER, whatever the hell that means. I am thrilled, however to read all of the different things that everyone picked up on. I see what some of you mean by a stiffer crowd than Mick is used to, for sure. They do not reflect Obama's disposition. He seems to be pretty cool and laid back, plus an obvious music lover with a pretty decent voice of his own!

Date: February 23, 2012 13:50

DandelionPowderman
Mick was great, but he lost it in the middle section on Miss You, too. .

That's true. But I think he was so surprisingly good and fresh during the beginning that I allow that to him. grinning smiley

Seemingly Jagger altogether had/has difficulties in maintaining the energy and quality level. Perhaps that is due to not having much experience of performing for years, and he is not actually getting younger.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 13:53 by Doxa.

Date: February 23, 2012 13:56

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Mick was great, but he lost it in the middle section on Miss You, too. .

That's true. But I think he was so surprisingly good and fresh during the beginning that I allow that to him. grinning smiley

Seemingly Jagger altogether had/has difficulties in maintaining the energy and quality level. Perhaps that is due to not having much experience of performing for years, and he is not actually getting younger.

- Doxa

Might be an age thing, or just the fact that he hasn't been listening to Stones-stuff for years. I suspect the latter.

In fairness, he always fvcks up the middle section in Miss You in one way or another, as well as the verses on Far Away Eyes etc. grinning smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 23, 2012 14:01

He was playing to a small audience of stiffs who remained stiff till the Jagger master made some magic happen.

That was as intense and hard a crowd to play to as you are ever likley to get, hence, IMO, the high levels of nerves. Mick was the main attraction and he delivered the goods.

All these little mistakes and stuff, it's part of what makes live music so compelling. Seeing and hearing how people work their way around things as it happens, no hiding, pure talent verses the potential big public fall that is ever present when music is purely live.

The live broadcast was odd, but fascinating... I'm glad I saw it, warts and all.

Date: February 23, 2012 14:08

DandelionPowderman
Might be an age thing, or just the fact that he hasn't been listening to Stones-stuff for years. I suspect the latter.
Could be the latter but if one thinks how many goddamn times he has performed the song (war horse) along the years. One should think that the song is quite deeply stuck to his mind. And if one then decides to do it in the White House - which taking how nervous he seemingly was, was not any small deal for him - he goes and because he has not rehaersed or listened the song how it goes properly, just fvcs ups? I can't think so.

- Doxa

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 14:27

Of course not! He does it his way with a different band. And yeah, lots of expectations, and he shakes it up a bit. Actually nice to see. War Horse it may be, but it is clearly a song Mick really loves and I think it brings back a lot of memories for him as well. How couldn't it? By god the man is 68 and he still can howl like an alley cat. I thought he was purposely playing with the audience. Now, his high notes when the band was quiet were a bit off key, but he recovers and pulls out something interesting with it like the true showman he is. Crack band too!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 23, 2012 14:35

Stoneage
The first song "Can't turn you loose" was cringeworthy. Not the song exactly, but Jagger's performance of it. Forced and too energetic. And, probably due to too much gymnastics and, maybe, nervousness, the nasality was there again. His "act" took over from the song. On the second song, however, he settled down a bit and was much better. Even though it looked as if he had problems remembering the lyrics and sometimes was out of pace.

He was much more verbal than usually between songs, probably due to the occasion. He is really good at it so I don't understand why he never does that regulary. He missed the protocol though: He should have saluted the President first. I don't think "Miss You" was a fitting song to do and I always find it boring regardless of the arrangements.

The last song "Five Long Years" saw his best performance of the evening. He sang really well, the nasality was gone. And we were freed of all the pointing and posing.

I agree, especially that stupid face he was pulling as he came on stage, made him look like an idiot...........so glad he calmed down a bit.......Commit a crime was brilliant...........Miss you though imo was just a complete lily livered weak waste of time (and I usually love this song esp. the mighty San Diego version 1998)........should have done Silver Train or maybe Winter or 100 years ago instead.............

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 14:44 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 23, 2012 14:44

whitem8
he still can howl like an alley cat.

Best Phrase of the Year!

Date: February 23, 2012 14:48

Miss You had the audience grooving and everyone was on their feet dancing. And he is showing everyone how blues inspired him, and got him to funk up the blues.

Date: February 23, 2012 15:06

whitem8
Miss You had the audience grooving and everyone was on their feet dancing. And he is showing everyone how blues inspired him, and got him to funk up the blues.

Each to his own of course.....a lot of hand clapping - fair enough but I don't think you got the dancing bit right - all sitting down all the way through, in the front rows at least..........(I have to admit though, nice bit of harp in that)......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 15:17 by EddieByword.

Date: February 23, 2012 15:37

Ok, yeah, they aren't dancing, but man their feet are moving. And you can tell they want to dance...

Date: February 23, 2012 15:47

whitem8
Ok, yeah, they aren't dancing, but man their feet are moving. And you can tell they want to dance...

lol, fair enough..............

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: February 23, 2012 15:52

Doxa

Damn it was great to hear him singing blues with a competent guitar player! No damn stupid posing, just delivering the goods: "Commit A Crime" was simply phenomenal.

- Doxa

So true! It makes quite the difference. Really hope the The Stones bring out Jeff Beck or Mick Taylor or Clapton or someone with them next time and stop clowning around.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 23, 2012 16:36

I totally agree Majesty! I think I mentioned early on that the nerves caused the obvious lack of oxygen!! I can't imagine stepping onto a stage as Mick did, basically cold, no warm up to speak of, and POW, perform a number like " Can't Turn You Loose!"....A lesser man would have frozen in the spotlight!

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: February 23, 2012 16:42

I don´t think he was so nervous. Why would he be? Just because of the president? His little speech also seemed calm and relaxed. Out of breath, yes, but to me he doesn´t seem to be nervous, at least not so much that it causes breathlessnes.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 17:05

I can't believe we can still enjoy Mick in 2012...I thought Miss You went off well. I think was holding back a bit in consideration of where he was.

Date: February 23, 2012 17:16

I would think the nervousness shows in his over-doing in the beginning which results as him going almost totally out of stamina and energy in 1:08 (check the clip). I never wittnessed Jagger collapsing so clearly during a song. After that he struggles like a long-time runner in the last kilometers in marathon who had started the run way too fast. He does that solely by the will power. But is not nice to watch. But for a pro like Jagger - the king of stage - that kind of mistake in evaluating one's powers cannot be anything but being nervous.

But then, after a luttle pause, and getting his breathing normal again, he is in top form again in "Commit A Crime".

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 17:18 by Doxa.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 23, 2012 17:46

(love this kind of shit. best comedy ever. no disrespect to stonestod.)

A new Web video from the Republican National Committee (RNC) uses the
president's rendition of "Sweet Home Chicago" earlier this week to argue that
President Obama has America “singin' the blues" about increasing gas prices.

The 15-second spot features a graph of gas prices since President Obama took
office overlaid atop video of the president singing at a White House cultural
event Tuesday with blues and rock legends B.B. King and Mick Jagger.

Onscreen text then derides "rising energy costs" and a "failed energy policy."

“When President Obama moved into the White House three years ago, the national
average of gas was $1.85 per gallon. Today, the average price of gas has risen
to an astonishing $3.59 per gallon and is showing no signs of a decline,” said
RNC Chairman Reince Priebus in a statement.

“Unfortunately for America, Barack Obama has had us all singin’ the blues with
rising energy costs and failed energy policy. His recent rejection of the
Keystone XL pipeline denied thousands of Americans jobs in addition to an
affordable, secure energy source. In November, Americans will be able to send
the president and his failed policies into retirement, where he will be able to
sing the blues all day.”

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 23, 2012 17:59

$3.59. Consider yourselves lucky! Overhere (Sweden and parts of Western Europe) it's $8 a gallon. (Even if we don't use medieval cubic measure here, we have the metric system since Napoleon I). Time for US citizens to downsize their cars then. No more 2.5 tons SUV:s ...

Date: February 23, 2012 18:08

I can't stop watching that "Commit A Crime"... it is a long time since I've heard that kind of old riff rock blues sounding so good. Jagger and Beck are perfect partners in crime. The edge in Jag's voice, the meanness in Jeff's guitar. I think no any British singer or guitar player of that generation could suited better there than those two. Both of them as strong as ever, defying the age. Can't think anyone else doing that thing better now (2012). Jagger is actually cool. He has left all the aerobics, finger pointings and other embarassing peter pan trademarks out, and just concentrates on the delivery, moves naturally to music while communicates wonderfully with Beck. Simply stunning. Edgy and mean stuff, indeed.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 23, 2012 18:19

superrevvy
the average price of gas has risen to an astonishing $3.59 per gallon

You lucky ones smiling smiley
Here in Nederland we pay € 1.80 per liter.
Considering a US gallon is 3.78 liters and 1 Euro is 1.33 USD that would be 1.80 X 1.33 X 3.78 = 9.05 USD per gallon.

Edit: I know this is getting off topic, but I just couldn't resist.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 18:21 by Rolling Hansie.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1476
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home