Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 36
Re: Mick Jagger to perform at The White House Feb 21
Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: February 23, 2012 18:20

Doxa
I can't stop watching that "Commit A Crime"... it is a long time since I've heard that kind of old riff rock blues sounding so good. Jagger and Beck are perfect partners in crime. The edge in Jag's voice, the meanness in Jeff's guitar. I think no any British singer or guitar player of that generation could suited better there than those two. Both of them as strong as ever, defying the age. Can't think anyone else doing that thing better now (2012). Jagger is actually cool. He has left all the aerobics, finger pointings and other embarassing peter pan trademarks out, and just concentrates on the delivery, moves naturally to music while communicates wonderfully with Beck. Simply stunning. Edgy and mean stuff, indeed.

- Doxa

Yes, that is really astonishing! I have not been impressed by RS-blues delieveries for ages (since Manish Boy - or if Slave is plain blues). But Jagger and Beck doing Commit a Crime that was something! "Edgy and mean stuff" as you put it, Doxa.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 23, 2012 18:28

Doxa
I can't stop watching that "Commit A Crime"... it is a long time since I've heard that kind of old riff rock blues sounding so good. Jagger and Beck are perfect partners in crime. The edge in Jag's voice, the meanness in Jeff's guitar. I think no any British singer or guitar player of that generation could suited better there than those two. Both of them as strong as ever, defying the age. Can't think anyone else doing that thing better now (2012). Jagger is actually cool. He has left all the aerobics, finger pointings and other embarassing peter pan trademarks out, and just concentrates on the delivery, moves naturally to music while communicates wonderfully with Beck. Simply stunning. Edgy and mean stuff, indeed.

- Doxa

Spot on! thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 23, 2012 18:37

I think that Jagger's best effort is in "Five More Years". His voice is back here, the nasality is gone. This is the Jagger I enjoy. He just has to go back to the basics. And Buddy Guy and Gary Clark Jr are just wonderful blues guitarists. What a strong expression Buddy has. And the guy has passed 70...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 23, 2012 18:57

His Majesty
Doxa

- Doxa

You are so right Doxa!!!!
mean stuff!!
Great!! I would buy a cd of this right now.
jeroen

Spot on! thumbs up

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: February 23, 2012 19:14

His Majesty
Doxa

- Doxa

Spot on! thumbs up

Indeed!smileys with beer

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 23, 2012 20:45

Doxa, you really think Mick's voice sounded " thin" and he looked like he was about to collapse? I remember thinking that his voice never sounded better, and it appears others here feel the same way. " Commit A Crime" was over the top...maybe it will be released as a " single"...New hit for Jagger....duet with Jeff Beck climbs up the charts! Cool! I need to watch the entire show again..I do recall Mick looking like a caged tiger, waiting in the audience for the techies to get a new guitar for Buddy Guy after be broke a string, towards the end of the show....not nervous?? Oh, contraire!
Sorry, I won't rise to the bait, won't respond to political comments because this SHOULD BE about Mick and his big night.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: February 23, 2012 21:35

Jagger sizes up Obama's singing as 'courageous'

By NANCY BENAC, Associated Press – 18 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The reviews are in, and Mick Jagger sizes up President Barack
Obama's singing of the blues this week as "courageous."

The Rolling Stones frontman says the president did pretty well when he joined in
during a White House blues concert earlier in the week.

And Jagger said in an AP interview Thursday that he was also pleased to see that
Michelle Obama was wearing a dress for the event that was designed by L'Wren
Scott, his longtime girlfriend.

Will the Stones get together this year for a 50th anniversary tour? Jagger says
he looks forward to doing something, but "nothing is yet booked."

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: February 23, 2012 21:40

I thought he sounded great. Much better than on the Exile bonus songs. As for being nervous, that's a very unusual venue and that particular room can be quite intimidating (it's the last place you would think of playing the blues in), but I thought he handled himself very well. And Beck was fantastic.

Date: February 23, 2012 21:43

lwren's still bragging on her man. she just tweeted:

"mickjagger he was rocking the White House! Amazing voice and playing that guitar!"

so i guess that settles the voice debate.

(rihanna tweets 10 times a day, quoting bob marley a lot and other sages, when she is
not cursing somebody out. she just tweeted how mick thinks. the girl's learning.
"Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe
it anyway." )

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 21:48 by superrevvy.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 23, 2012 22:01

Beck and Clapton were a great act together recently.'Commit a Crime' was the best number in the show for me.Beck and Jagger were a great combination.Maybe a prelude to Jeff as a 'guest' guitarist on the 2012 tour/gigs coming up later this year . winking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 23, 2012 22:12

mickschix
Doxa, you really think Mick's voice sounded " thin" and he looked like he was about to collapse? I remember thinking that his voice never sounded better, and it appears others here feel the same way. " Commit A Crime" was over the top...maybe it will be released as a " single"...New hit for Jagger....duet with Jeff Beck climbs up the charts! Cool! I need to watch the entire show again..I do recall Mick looking like a caged tiger, waiting in the audience for the techies to get a new guitar for Buddy Guy after be broke a string, towards the end of the show....not nervous?? Oh, contraire!
Sorry, I won't rise to the bait, won't respond to political comments because this SHOULD BE about Mick and his big night.

Yeah, I think Jagger's voice is over-all thinner these days but I guess that is just a natural effect of aging, and I don't find that any problem at all. Like I said he did a wonderful job in "Miss You" - he really sounded like actually expresses something musically - that the expression is the central point there. I was really surprised. Can't recall when I hear him last time singing so artistically driven as he does there. Then his singing job in "Commit A Crime" is simply impressive. He really has an unique voice for 'mean' blues, damn fine instrument! Sharp as a knife. I think what he represents there (with Beck) is as good as British version of blues ever can be. They - both of them - sound so original, and make hellful statement of what those British kids learned and then developed further back in the 60's.

My comment about collapse is about "Can't Turn You Loose", the only weak link in the set. Jagger dramatically lowers down his voice and the decreases the intensity level after a minute or so, and finding out hard way that he had started way strongly to his capacities. The end of it really a struggle but, of course, a total pro is is able to hide it quite well.

- Doxa

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 23, 2012 22:27

Can Jeff Beck be in the Rolling Stones if they decide to stick around? Can't the Stones have four or five guitarists onstage?... RW, MT, Jeff Beck, MJ, and of course KR.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 23, 2012 22:53

angee
The Sicilian
Funny how things change, 236 years ago Washington and the Americans were being chased across New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania by the British. Now, Washington in portrait, stares down in comfort at British and American musicians playing music together in the house of the American President.

Anyways, I thought Jagger was singing quite well, after an over the top opening "Can't Turn Me Loose." All that showesy annoying pointing and jabbing just made me cringe. The banter after the song was a sort of uncomfortable moment because Jagger is out of element with an attentive audience that is not cheering and yelling. I think that by the time Buddy Guy came out he was much more relaxed and in control.

Happy 280th Birthday George Washington!

Absolutely agree on degree of relaxation, improving after the first number.
I mean, I love Mick being Mick, but that was almost an impression of Jimmy Fallon doing him.
Different kind of audience for sure.

Having a day to reflect on this some more, I still think, and even more so now, that Jagger went overboard on the opener. Now if the Stones were there as a band, maybe the pointing and jabbing stuff would have been in vogue with the Stones latest STYLE, I stress style because this being a blues tribute, the generally accepted style of blues is slower and laid back. If you look at the demeanor of the other performers it most certainly followed that track.

Jagger made the song a rock track and with all the showesy gestures he crossed the line and put himself in the spotlight instead of the music. It literally made me cringe as I watched it. I actually turned away a couple of times, as I felt somewhat embarrassed. But that is how I saw it first impression. As things progressed he calmed down and found his place. Remember, this is not a club gig but a formal event.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 23, 2012 23:14

The Sicilian
It literally made me cringe as I watched it.

Oh my. Sure hope you're OK again

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 23, 2012 23:18

Don Was On The Front Row
And He Should Have Removed His Hat
To Show Respect And To Not Block People's View

Re: Mick Jagger live at The White House Feb 21
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 23, 2012 23:20

is it me...sometimes i think beck is gonna join the stones

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 23, 2012 23:35

Rolling Hansie
The Sicilian

That's a switch for him Hansie. His posts usually make other people cringe.winking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: February 23, 2012 23:38

The woman behind Don Was is Marsha Hunt. A lot of Mick´s people there..

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 23, 2012 23:46

sweetcharmedlife
Rolling Hansie
The Sicilian

That's a switch for him Hansie. His posts usually make other people cringe.winking smiley

At least I'm honest. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: dubclub ()
Date: February 23, 2012 23:55

Jeff Beck should join the Stones - sounds like an nightmare to me.
Horrible, these boring rock (bluesrock) guitar heroes without soul - just like Beck, Clapton, Joe Bon..whatever.

Come on - please.

Date: February 24, 2012 00:06

an expanded version of mick's above-reported remarks:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The reviews are in, and Mick Jagger sizes up President
Barack Obama's singing of the blues this week as nothing short of
"courageous."

The Rolling Stones frontman said Thursday the president did "very well"
when bluesman Buddy Guy successfully prodded him to join in on a few lines
of "Sweet Home Chicago," the blues anthem of the president's home town,
during an East Room concert earlier in the week.

"I thought he was courageous, because there was some element of
reluctance," Jagger said, adding that "it was a hard moment for the
president to get out of."

Jagger, in a phone interview with the AP, also said he was pleased to see
that first lady Michelle Obama was wearing a dress that night designed by
L'Wren Scott, his longtime girlfriend, who had a front-row seat for the
concert.

Jagger, 68, said he's never been invited to play at the White House before
— or for any head of state — and he rated it a "surreal gig experience."

"I loved it," he said. "It was really unusual, surreal, and strange, but
very enjoyable. ... I went out there and I tried to put out my best."

What's next for Jagger? He said he's on a minivacation on the East Coast
with his kids, and they were heading out the door to play soccer.

But will the Stones get together this year for a 50th anniversary tour?

"I hope we certainly do something," he said. "It would be very appropriate,
I think, and I look forward to doing something. But nothing is yet booked."

Posted by: Peterh ()
Date: February 24, 2012 00:23

"What's next for Jagger? He said he's on a minivacation on the East Coast
with his kids, and they were heading out the door to play soccer."

OK, so he is still around... hope to see him tomorrow in NYC then.. winking smiley

Date: February 24, 2012 00:42

His Majesty
He was playing to a small audience of stiffs who remained stiff till the Jagger master made some magic happen.

That was as intense and hard a crowd to play to as you are ever likley to get, hence, IMO, the high levels of nerves. Mick was the main attraction and he delivered the goods.

All these little mistakes and stuff, it's part of what makes live music so compelling. Seeing and hearing how people work their way around things as it happens, no hiding, pure talent verses the potential big public fall that is ever present when music is purely live.

The live broadcast was odd, but fascinating... I'm glad I saw it, warts and all.

I wouldn't put TOO much thought into the out of breath, Like HM said playing to a small room is way harder than a big one, and especially a crowd like this who were very much not his own crowd. And when I get super nervous I also get out of breath; especially if I am running around. And Jagger is almost 70! OMG, I can't believe I just wrote that.

Date: February 24, 2012 00:54

IT was odd for me to see Jagger like this. It was one of the very few times he was..serious. Where he not only felt like the should deliver, but where he really wanted. He was all business.
Maybe the 82 Muddy Waters show with Keith and Ronnie on stage too in the small club is close. But that wasn't the White House.
Am I wrong, or does it seem like the Prez enjoys his white Boy Blues a lot more than the First Missus? Check 8:03 on 'Commit a Crime".

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 24, 2012 01:26

The Sicilian
At least I'm honest

At least you show humor smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: February 24, 2012 01:29

sweetcharmedlife
EddieByword
johnypar
treaclefingers
johnypar
I do not like Michelle Obama at all here. Do not know why

She seemed a little 'detached' during MJ's performance didn't she?
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Maybe it's just an unfortunate expression but to me she looks like she's thinking...."What the f uck are you lowlifes doing in my house and when are you going to f uck off ?

exactly, point on!

or even......................

Maybe it's just an unfortunate expression but to me she looks like she's thinking...."What the f uck is this whiteboy doing in my house and when is he going to f uck off ?
You are a complete idiot. Your figured all that out with a facial expression? Give me an effing break. Michelle Obama is probably the greatest first lady we have ever had. Could you possibly be any more racisct if you tried?

It is kind of an odd expression but as someone else said, the video can take a funny picture. Everyone should be given the benefit of the doubt once in their life so I'll give her it on this. What I do find more interesting in this picture is the expression on everyone else's face. Pure enjoyment! I wouldn't be surprised if the Whitehouse has a few new Jagger fanatics after that show. Mick was awesome. He sounded great and I loved his choice of clothing...his jacket is killer!

Posted by: beepee ()
Date: February 24, 2012 01:32

So was there a prompter or not ?

Date: February 24, 2012 02:03

TrulyMicks
sweetcharmedlife
EddieByword
johnypar
treaclefingers
johnypar
I do not like Michelle Obama at all here. Do not know why

She seemed a little 'detached' during MJ's performance didn't she?
Maybe it's just an unfortunate expression but to me she looks like she's thinking...."What the f uck are you lowlifes doing in my house and when are you going to f uck off ?

exactly, point on!

Original photo was so 'bad' it was censored via photobucket

or even......................

Maybe it's just an unfortunate expression but to me she looks like she's thinking...."What the f uck is this whiteboy doing in my house and when is he going to f uck off ?
You are a complete idiot. Your figured all that out with a facial expression? Give me an effing break. Michelle Obama is probably the greatest first lady we have ever had. Could you possibly be any more racisct if you tried?

It is kind of an odd expression but as someone else said, the video can take a funny picture. Everyone should be given the benefit of the doubt once in their life so I'll give her it on this. What I do find more interesting in this picture is the expression on everyone else's face. Pure enjoyment! I wouldn't be surprised if the Whitehouse has a few new Jagger fanatics after that show. Mick was awesome. He sounded great and I loved his choice of clothing...his jacket is killer!

As I said earlier in the thread as a response to Sweetbutnotthesharpesttoolintheboxlife's critical post above, my post was a joke,(esp. the 'or even' bit)... or maybe me 'tourettes' winking smiley...can't make me mind up......I'll have to remember some people were short changed on the IQ and humour rations.....would be a good photo for a caption thread..............sorry to hijack your post but my earlier response got left behind and so the context lost..(wouldn't want to get lambasted again for no good reason)...........yep, Mick's always had great taste even when being tasteless.........('81/'82 imo)

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-29 13:34 by EddieByword.

Date: February 24, 2012 02:18

wash post:

Are you the first person to wear bright red cross-trainers to a formal White
House function?

Probably ... I think performers can sort of wear what they want. And they did!
Did you like B.B.’s flowery jacket? That was nice.

Nearly every artist who’s performed for this administration has said they
were nervous before going on stage. But you didn’t seem nervous at all.

I don’t want to sound blasé ... but every gig is a gig, right? If you’re
rehearsed, you don’t get nervous. That’s my thing. I only get nervous when I
don’t know what I’m doing.

But how do you walk into a setting as formal as the East Room and light the
place up?

It didn’t feel formal when you had those musicians up on stage, y’know what I
mean? When you first walk in you go, “Oooh, yeah. This is a bit odd.” But it’s
a stage. And I think all of the performers felt the same way… It didn’t feel
stiff. Did it to you?

No, but some White House performances in the past ...

I spoke to one of the organizing people and they said they have felt a bit
stuffy in the past. And this didn’t.

Did you ever think you’d be handing a microphone to the president of the
United States?

No, that wasn’t on the list of things I expected to do. It was just a moment.
And I was the only one with a spare mike!

Did the president and first lady have any thoughts for you after the show?

I saw them before. I saw him at the rehearsal and the first lady was very kind
to wear L’Wren Scott, [the fashion line of Jagger’s girlfriend, L’Wren Scott],
so that was a very nice added extra.

Between songs, you took special care to speak about the importance of the
American blues artists who influenced you. How come?

Well, I thought it was, y’know, a show for the blues. So I thought I would just
put in my two cents — my memories from my point of view. So that was a sort of
personal reminiscence ... And with B.B. being there, I was remembering all these
people and how great they’d been to us. So I thought it was a good place to say it.

Date: February 24, 2012 02:23

wash post continued:

Many have credited the Rolling Stones with introducing America to its own music while others have said
rock-and-roll has unfairly profited from the blues. Where do you sit with all that in 2012?

It’s a whole sort of can of worms, isn’t it really? ... When we we first came to the United States, the blues
had been largely forgotten — not forgotten — but it was not the music of contemporary black America,
right? It was, perhaps, ignored to some extent. The good part of it is we talked about it a lot. And people
listened.

You sounded good up there alongside Jeff Beck, but did Keith not get an invite?

I don’t know anything about the invites or who was playing with who. I was just asked to do the gig and I
accepted. I didn’t even really know who was coming. There were a lot of people who were asked. I was
expecting to be playing with James Cotton, which I was really looking forward to, but he wasn’t [available].
And we didn’t really know that B.B. was going to come — that was a bit last minute. But I think there were a
lot of very interesting people [on the bill].

I saw you tweeting up a storm during the rehearsals and after the show. You were particularly excited about
this gig, huh?

It was great because there was Buddy [Guy] and B.B. and I always love seeing them play. And being given
a chance to be on stage with them and being able to interact with them is always a thrill. Some other
players, like Gary Clark [Jr.] ... and Keb Mo, I had never seen live before, to be honest. I thought they
were really good.

How did that thrill compare to playing for the first couple?

I want to energize the room. If they’re energized, fantastic. I loved it. They seemed to be very enthusiastic
and it was a really great show. I hope they enjoyed it and I’m very honored to have played the White House.

I was surprised everyone made it through the evening without making a “Moves Like Jagger” joke.

I know! I was gonna do it but then I did my blues appreciation speech instead.

What do you think of that song?

I hear it all the time. It’s a very long-lived song, isn’t it? That and Adele. Still playing. I get into the car, and
there it is, still. And then I go to the club and there it is ...

Aside from the younger artists you got to meet over the weekend in D.C., who else is making music that
excites you right now?

I like the Black Keys’ last album ... I forgot the title of it. A Spanish name.

“El Camino.”

“El Camino.” I like that album. It was a good, kind of bluesy, yet somehow... “pop” is the wrong word. It’s a
good combination of sounds and songs. I really enjoy that album.

Do you still hear the Stones’ legacy in today’s music?

Yeah! I think there’s some of the Stones’ legacy in that album. Maybe that’s why I like it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2203
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home