Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Will "Paris 76" ever get the '72, '78 DVD treatment?
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 27, 2011 18:02

should it? i'd say so - with a Knebworth bonus? Might make a nice package - that black and blue tour still seems to get a bit lost in the pomp of '75 and the fire of some girls

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-27 18:10 by hbwriter.

Re: Will "Paris 76" ever get the '72, '78 DVD treatment?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 27, 2011 18:13

paris sucks...even said so on a "friends" episode

Date: December 27, 2011 18:17

it's definitive of that era - pro shot - i bet it gets the package treatment

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 27, 2011 18:37

'76 is a low point. I have no desire to see a whole show. Love You Live was bad enough.

Date: December 27, 2011 18:54

Even with Love You Live, one never knows. The Stones have made some strange decisions.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 27, 2011 18:56

When I was a kid, I bought the bootleg Paris Par Printemp...much to my chagrin, I discovered it was basically Love You Live.

I would concur that this was not a high water mark.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 27, 2011 18:57

I rather hear and see them make the 75 LosAngeles,Ca. shows into a dvd...

Date: December 27, 2011 19:00

It seems like they are moving chronologically. Ya-Ya's, Exile, SG. I do think '81 will be next; and possibly be the last one of the pre Vegas days to be the treatm,ent.

Date: December 27, 2011 19:05

hbwriter

definitive of a bad era is a good reason? very poor wager....

Date: December 27, 2011 19:17

StonesTod
hbwriter

"bad" era is a matter of opinion - and I disagree with yours. I love the '75 tour - and I think the '76 tour has some strong moments, too - it's far from perfect, but for me, thoroughly interesting - and I think a box DVD that encompasses '76, knebworth and perhaps even el macambo (as it pertains to love you live) would be an essential package - there is some great docu footage from the '76 tour that exists as well - I don't think the black & blue era is a bad one at all - just my opinion

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: December 27, 2011 19:18

hbwriter

There were too many "package treatments" in Live in Texas as Mick couldn't keep his hands off of his package or Ronnie's.

Date: December 27, 2011 19:19

but love you live already captures the paris shows...and a lot of overdubbing work was done to make those presentable in the first place. i ask you to plese reconsider your opinion...people read these threads, you know, and we wouldn't want them reading stuff they shouldn't be reading. thank you.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 27, 2011 19:19

Got to disagree with the majority here...I might be biased because I attended the June 6th Paris show, and whilst being quite young and it being my first Stones gig, it was a bit of a special occasion. I've seen em on every European tour since then and I would still say that Paris 76 was the best...yes, there was a lot of silliness with Billy etc and the various other props, but some of Keith's playing was outstanding. I'd much prefer to see this re-issued than anything after 81/82. Keith's on stage playing deteriorates rapidly from then on and Chuck leavell etc began to influence things too much for my liking.

Since it was pro-shot, and it's a better filming than 78 in that the camera doesn't fix on Jagger for 90% of the show I would imagine we will be seeing it in the not too distant future.

Date: December 27, 2011 19:21

I think it's a fair guess and thought. The Stones liked it enough to release it, Love You Live, so they couldn't have thought of it to be...awful bad. There are some good tracks on LYL.

If hind site mattered to the Stones then what the hell were they doing putting out disc 1 of Live Licks and Shine A Light (LP)?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 27, 2011 19:24

hbwriter
StonesTod
hbwriter

"bad" era is a matter of opinion - and I disagree with yours. I love the '75 tour - and I think the '76 tour has some strong moments, too - it's far from perfect, but for me, thoroughly interesting - and I think a box DVD that encompasses '76, knebworth and perhaps even el macambo (as it pertains to love you live) would be an essential package - there is some great docu footage from the '76 tour that exists as well - I don't think the black & blue era is a bad one at all - just my opinion

Not not just your opinion but also mine. I agree with this post. 100%. 1975 is great, of course its not the best version of LA that represents this era but 1975 is not a problem. 1976 is a bit tricky, cause some of the numbers are stunning. Fantastic versions of the only bullet proof versions of Hey Negrita and Hot Stuff. Some fantastic versions of YGM, BS and IYCRM (although 1975 had the best versions of that gem), Starf-ker, Happy, HTW. I dont know how they could do this but I too suggest a well planned compilation with Knebworth (best version of hot Stuff ever, amazing), some LYL Paris numbers and why not include a lot of PR, interviews, On the Road etc. Make it something else. 1975 could be part 1 and 1976 part 2. El Mocambo of course.

Date: December 27, 2011 19:26

Redhotcarpet
hbwriter
StonesTod
hbwriter

Not not just your opinion but also mine. I agree with this post. 100%. 1975 is great, of course its not the best version of LA that represents this era but 1975 is not a problem. 1976 is a bit tricky, cause some of the numbers are stunning. Fantastic versions of the only bullet proof versions of Hey Negrita and Hot Stuff. Some fantastic versions of YGM, BS and IYCRM (although 1975 had the best versions of that gem), Starf-ker, Happy, HTW. I dont know how they could do this but I too suggest a well planned compilation with Knebworth (best version of hot Stuff ever, amazing), some LYL Paris numbers and why not include a lot of PR, interviews, On the Road etc. Make it something else. 1975 could be part 1 and 1976 part 2. El Mocambo of course.

it's like i don't even KNOW you ppl anymore! oh, wait...

Date: December 27, 2011 19:27

sort of interesting

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 27, 2011 19:28

We can make everyone happy...How about they make the very best of 75/76....The very best songs played
from the entire tour!!

I like it..Yes i do...haha

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: December 27, 2011 19:29

I don't know. It's great footage from a bad era. It may eventually get released in some form. In a way the Ya Ya's dvd is different than L&G and Some Girls. It was basically a 30 minute "bonus" to go along with the Ya Ya's re-release whereas Ladies and Gentlemen and Live In Texas '78 both were complete concert films or in the case of L&G, a compilation of 4 performances designed to simulate an entire concert. Maybe they had intentions of possibly releasing an entire show on dvd from the '69 tour? Who knows. I hope they do.

As for Paris '76, I could see a dvd being officially released before I could see any '76 show getting an audio-only release in the Archive series. That '76 tour is already covered with Love You Live (I think only 3 or 4 songs actually came from the '75 tour and 4 from El Mocambo in '77, the rest from '76) and besides, they just didn't sound very good back then. Really sloppy musicianship and it was the height (or the low point) of Jagger's growling and slurring through the lyrics.

It's from an era that I, and many others, consider to be their low point as a live band (at least through their first 30 years). I think if it ever got an official release, it would be simply because they've got good pro-shot footage of these shows and they might as well do something with it and cash it in for whatever they can get. It wouldn't be because they have fond memories of the '76 tour. I'm sure it's probably a time that none of them care to look back on and those Paris shows were a particularly bad time for Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-27 19:40 by Tumblin_Dice_07.

Date: December 27, 2011 19:29

StonesTod
Redhotcarpet
hbwriter
StonesTod
hbwriter

Then what exactly is it if it's 'like' you don't know these pple anymore? Something specific?

Date: December 27, 2011 19:31

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
StonesTod
Redhotcarpet
hbwriter
StonesTod
hbwriter

Then what exactly is it if it's 'like' you don't know these pple anymore? Something specific?

it's like a poem or something.

Date: December 27, 2011 19:33

Oh.

So it's not a poem...but it's something. That is more specific. It's specifically more detailed.

Cool. Just wanted to be clear.

Date: December 27, 2011 19:37

i dunno, i guess as a historian by trade, I look at it all a bit differently - good vs bad is totally irrelevant - history can be a messy business - what matters is accuracy - i would think some band member interviews giving some current context to that era might be fascinating - that said, I still like the tour a lot- messy as it got, they were playing some challenging new stuff live while teetering on the brink of blinding excess - and many times, they were still brilliant

Date: December 27, 2011 19:38

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Oh.

So it's not a poem...but it's something. That is more specific. It's specifically more detailed.

Cool. Just wanted to be clear.

clarity is my business.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 27, 2011 19:38

I attended the 3 shows at the "Abattoirs". The weather was hot at that time. The shows were under Stones standards by any possible measure.

Date: December 27, 2011 19:42

hbwriter
i dunno, i guess as a historian by trade, I look at it all a bit differently - good vs bad is totally irrelevant - history can be a messy business - what matters is accuracy - i would think some band member interviews giving some current context to that era might be fascinating - that said, I still like the tour a lot- messy as it got, they were playing some challenging new stuff live while teetering on the brink of blinding excess - and many times, they were still brilliant

history and accuracy are my business, too.

Date: December 27, 2011 19:43

Tumblin_Dice_07
I don't know. It's great footage from a bad era. It may eventually get released in some form. In a way the Ya Ya's dvd is different than L&G and Some Girls. It was basically a 30 minute "bonus" to go along with the Ya Ya's re-release whereas Ladies and Gentlemen and Live In Texas '78 both were complete concert films or in the case of L&G, a compilation of 4 performances designed to simulate an entire concert. Maybe they had intentions of possibly releasing an entire show on dvd from the '69 tour? Who knows. I hope they do.

As for Paris '76, I could see a dvd being officially released before I could see any '76 show getting an audio-only release in the Archive series. That '76 tour is already covered with Love You Live (I think only 3 or 4 songs actually came from the '75 tour and 4 from El Mocambo in '77, the rest from '76) and besides, they just didn't sound very good back then. Really sloppy musicianship and it was the height (or the low point) of Jagger's growling and slurring through the lyrics.

It's from an era that I, and many others, consider to be their low point as a live band (at least through their first 30 years). I think if it ever got an official release, it would be simply because they've got good pro-shot footage of these shows and they might as well do something with it and cash it in for whatever they can get. It wouldn't be because they have fond memories of the '76 tour. I'm sure it's probably a time that none of them care to look back on and those Paris shows were a particularly bad time for Keith.

i don't even have fond memories of this thread and don't wanna look back on it, so i know what you mean...

Date: December 27, 2011 20:00

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: December 27, 2011 20:01

hbwriter

I think most of us would love to have all those shows on dvd in their entirety, pro-shot with professionally mixed sound and all that. But we're all hardcore fans or we wouldn't be posting on this message board. We know we're not gonna get everything though. If we get 5 more shows in the Archive series, then I hope those 5 shows are killer performances (hopefully that we've never heard before). If they release one from '76, I'll buy it and be thankful for it, but I would much prefer one from '69-'75.

I feel the same way about dvd releases. If they wanna flood us with concert dvd's and cover every era, then it would be a no brainer to release Paris '76. Maybe that happens eventually. I hope so. But as Stones fans, we know better than to expect such things.

Date: December 27, 2011 20:06

it's a "warts and all" period to be sure - but i still think it's vital - without the bloated excess - they may never have stripped down to some girls - it's a chapter in the book, that's all - but for me, warts and all, still a decent chapter - i mean, i still love knebworth - look at that freaking set list smiling smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home