Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Will "Paris 76" ever get the '72, '78 DVD treatment?
Date: December 27, 2011 20:07

StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Oh.

So it's not a poem...but it's something. That is more specific. It's specifically more detailed.

Cool. Just wanted to be clear.

clarity is my business.

Something like that.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 27, 2011 20:18

hbwriter
it's a "warts and all" period to be sure - but i still think it's vital - without the bloated excess - they may never have stripped down to some girls - it's a chapter in the book, that's all - but for me, warts and all, still a decent chapter - i mean, i still love knebworth - look at that freaking set list smiling smiley

you put up a valiant effort in the face of overwhelming evidence and odds. i commend you for your diligence and perserverance, but i'm afraid at this time we have to ask you to withdraw your suggestion and come back at a later time.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 27, 2011 20:58

StonesTod
hbwriter
it's a "warts and all" period to be sure - but i still think it's vital - without the bloated excess - they may never have stripped down to some girls - it's a chapter in the book, that's all - but for me, warts and all, still a decent chapter - i mean, i still love knebworth - look at that freaking set list smiling smiley

you put up a valiant effort in the face of overwhelming evidence and odds. i commend you for your diligence and perserverance, but i'm afraid at this time we have to ask you to withdraw your suggestion and come back at a later time.

It certainly is a chapter in the book - one I continually skip over to get to the next, more enjoyable, chapter.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 27, 2011 21:10

75/76 is alot like 89/90. I just don't dig it. I'm sure being there was fun, but in 75/76 Jagger just screams a ton, Charlie's drumming is drowned out by percussion, keyboards are too loud (thank you Billy Preston!) and the guitar tones are horrible and tinny.

In 89/90 every bootleg has the drums, vocals and keyboards loud. Guitars are ALWAYS low in the mix. So I have yet to find an audience recording from Steel Wheels that was compelling.

Next release should be 1969 MSG NY complete gig, or whatever they have. After that 81, then a major multi-tiered documentary series ala 'Beatles Anthology'. It is already in the works from what I have heard.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 27, 2011 21:25

Now when we most likely have gotten officially released two of their best footages ever, covering 1972 and 1978, I think the time is now ready to get something from a bit lesser 'historical' phases. I think Paris 76 and Hampton 81 could be nice ones from those eras. If they would reproduce them with the same effort as TEXAS 78 I think it would give more attention to the unique qualities they also then had. I even believe that with great reproduced sounds, we would might hear some nuances we haven't heard before. I have the feeling that after we have now listened so much the "peak" stuff, we might have a new ear to some different eras, especially '76. The band, also then, was going through an interesting phase, and maybe they weren't so bad as we are tend to think. (I mean, we all know that Hyde Park, R&R Circus, or Marquee '71, or Knebworth 76, are 'officially crap', the band sloppy as hell, but still there is something absulutely magical in those performances; the Stones couldn't do much wrong in their heyday. They were, at least, interesting, and definiely not boring.)

Of course, I'd be thrilled if there is something totally new, unrealesed stuff at the vaults (say, of '73, or '70), but I am a bit skeptical about that. At least the whole show of Paris 76, professionally captured, exits, as does Hampton 81 as well. I can see them as profilic releases easily if handled with a care.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-27 21:30 by Doxa.

Date: December 27, 2011 21:32

i might agree they could be profilic releases if i knew what a profilic release was....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 27, 2011 22:17

StonesTod
i might agree they could be profilic releases if i knew what a profilic release was....

Is it like a prophylactic release?

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 27, 2011 22:26

so well put, Doxa - thanks for that - I'll ad - one big difference with '72 and '78 is they were shot on film vs. video - still - the audio upgrade, to your point, and video as well could be very compelling

baseball fans - an analogy - would you pass on footage of babe ruth striking out? of course not - he is what he is - they are what they are

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 27, 2011 22:27

Naturalamb or Trojan???

Date: December 27, 2011 22:27

71Tele
StonesTod

Is it like a prophylactic release?

that could lead to something prolific, maybe

Date: December 27, 2011 22:30

hbwriter
baseball fans - an analogy - would you pass on footage of babe ruth striking out? of course not - he is what he is - they are what they are

you're comparing the sultan of swat with the stones? hmmm...let me ask you something...will that footage come replete with his little trot back to the bench with him shaking his head in disbelief and then punching out the batboy in frustration?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 27, 2011 22:39

flacnvinyl
Next release should be 1969 MSG NY complete gig, or whatever they have.

Of course, if they would release the complete concert, or somehing close to that (with the technology ot the day, The Maysles couldn't capture whole concerts, right?) that would probaly put even LADIES AND GENTS and TEXAS LIVE to shadows,If in the peak of 1972 they were phenomenal and stunning, in the peak of 78 vital, energetic and rocking as hell, in the peak 1969 they were simply majestic and magical.

- Doxa

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 27, 2011 22:49

I agreed to say that 1975 has best shows than 1976, but I like the Paris 1976 shows, for two reasons.
The first one , it has been shot by Freddy Hausser
a very kind and cool guy who loved the STONES until they became unapprochable (R.I.P Freddy ),
the second reason is a cheap one, but don't most of you (I mean the non native english people) like when Mick speak in your language in between songs ???
That's all and that's it winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 27, 2011 23:29

hbwriter
so well put, Doxa - thanks for that - I'll ad - one big difference with '72 and '78 is they were shot on film vs. video - still - the audio upgrade, to your point, and video as well could be very compelling

The baseball analogy doesn't work: a baseball player that doesn't get a hit only 70 percent of the time is considered excellent, whereas a stage performer is expected to get a hit all night every night.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 27, 2011 23:30

I love the idea of a 75-76 DVD PACKAGE bring it!!!!!!! only thing is like someone said above they seemed to have move passed that era already with these releases

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 27, 2011 23:46

crumbling_mice
Since it was pro-shot, and it's a better filming than 78 in that the camera doesn't fix on Jagger for 90% of the show I would imagine we will be seeing it in the not too distant future.

Jagger being in 90% has nothing to do with the filming.
Those choices are made in the editing room.

And yeah, I agree with Love You Live making it non-essential in an audio sense. And as for visuals, it was videotaped (480p), not filmed in celuloid so hi-def is not a possibility. This means that I would definitely pass.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 27, 2011 23:47

StonesTod: paris sucks...even said so on a "friends" episode

WTF?!?!?! So friends gives you direction in life. Now that's SAD.

friends is a sh**e show for stupid birds who doesn't know humour.

Get a grip son.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: December 28, 2011 00:00

If I never heard "Hot Stuff" again in my life I would be "Happy".

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 28, 2011 00:03

ab
hbwriter

The baseball analogy doesn't work: a baseball player that doesn't get a hit only 70 percent of the time is considered excellent, whereas a stage performer is expected to get a hit all night every night.

ab - that wasn't the point of the analogy - sorry if I wasn't clear - point was - supreme legends like the stones - even on so-so nights- are far more interesting than most otehr bands on killer nights, in my opinion

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 28, 2011 00:10

hbwriter

ab - that wasn't the point of the analogy - sorry if I wasn't clear - point was - supreme legends like the stones - even on so-so nights- are far more interesting than most otehr bands on killer nights, in my opinion

+1thumbs up

HMN

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 28, 2011 00:58

Isn't it ironic that the band carefully recorded their London & Paris residency... only to play mediocre shows in these two cities!

Pick the (mostly exc) aud tapes of the German shows and you can build a fantastic audio compilation from them. They didn't suck in 76! thumbs up

Date: December 28, 2011 01:15

MadMax

i fail to see your point.

Date: December 28, 2011 01:17

hbwriter
ab
hbwriter

try football as an analogue, maybe? looks like you kinda struck out yourself with the baseball one...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 28, 2011 01:27

StonesTod
MadMax

Did Friends actually talk about the Stones 1976 Paris Show ? Or were they just talking about the city of Paris?

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 28, 2011 01:29

cant imagine those nerds talking about the stones

Date: December 28, 2011 01:30

Yeah me neither. They were into Hootie and the Blowfish for cryin' out loud.

Date: December 28, 2011 02:09

ryanpow
StonesTod
MadMax

Did Friends actually talk about the Stones 1976 Paris Show ? Or were they just talking about the city of Paris?

well, i just assumed it was about the show...

Date: December 28, 2011 02:10

ryanpow
Yeah me neither. They were into Hootie and the Blowfish for cryin' out loud.

the blowfish were pretty good...hootie was just so-so

Date: December 28, 2011 02:13

Well, They certainly do Blow. Ha.....ha...............ha.

Date: December 28, 2011 02:22

ryanpow
Well, They certainly do Blow. Ha.....ha...............ha.

as they should do...they hoot and they blow...just as the stones roll whilst they stone...hmm..no...hmmm...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1421
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home